• NBA Playgrounds Coming May 2017

Today, Saber Interactive announced that next month (May), they will be releasing NBA Playgrounds, an arcade-style basketball game in the mold of NBA JAM and NBA Street. Utilizing current players as well as legends, NBA Playgrounds features over-the-top moves and dunks in offline, online, and co-op modes in (based on the trailer, at least) 2-on-2 action.

Retailing for $20, NBA Playgrounds will be available on PS4, XB1, PC, and the Nintendo Switch. This helps give the Switch a sorely needed sports title, but appears to be Saber Interactive's first foray into the sports realm. Other titles recently developed by the company include Halo Online, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and the upcoming Quake Champions.

Due to his prevalence in the game trailer and social media profiles, it would appear that Allen Iverson will be the game's digital cover athlete. It will be his first time on the cover of a basketball game since gracing the cover of NBA 2K, 2K1, 2K3, and ESPN NBA Basketball (1999-2003). However, since then he has been featured as a playable legend in basketball titles developed by both EA SPORTS and 2K Sports.

Continue on to see the trailer and also some of the first info on the game courtesy IGN.

The game is a return to the arcade-style basketball games of yesterday, like NBA Street and NBA Jam. Officially licensed by the NBA, the game features players both active and retired, with Allen Iverson facing off against modern ballers Steph Curry and George Hill in the opening of the trailer.

Every NBA team is featured in NBA Playgrounds, and the "roster of current and retired" players can be leveled-up. Keeping inline with its arcade-style roots, Playgrounds features "hundreds of over-the-top dunks and moves."

Playgrounds can be played solo, local-multiplayer, or "against the world" online.

Developed by Saber Interactive, CEO Matt Karch calls it accessible enough for anyone to pick up and play, but it still has "a lot of depth for hardcore pros who’ve mastered their game."

The return of high-flying, cartoonish arcade basketball hits Nintendo Switch, PC, PS4 and Xbox One next month as a digital-download for $20 USD.

Courtesy: IGN
    This article was originally published in forum thread: NBA Playgrounds (PS4, XB1, Switch, PC) - May 2017 started by cdj View original post
    Comments 47 Comments
      CLW -
      Meh uninspiring and the free to play 3on3 Freestyle is more sim than this. Unless this game has an easily obtainable I'm probably gonna pass as the article seems to be alluding to an upcoming pay to win model.
      bdoughty -
      Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
      Meh uninspiring and the free to play 3on3 Freestyle is more sim than this..
      The game is trying to do the opposite of being a "sim" so...

Spoiler: show
      The big heads were a giveaway.
      JBHuskers -
      This shows as free in the PSN store prompting a lot of attention, but it seems like it's just a demo.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      This shows as free in the PSN store prompting a lot of attention, but it seems like it's just a demo.
      And it looks like that was a mistake as it is no longer available.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      And it looks like that was a mistake as it is no longer available.
      I'll laugh if it turns into the full version Tuesday. Regardless I'm gonna get it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      CLW -
      no no buy for me just earned the in 3on3 freestyle hoping they support the title further with dlc and additional trophies.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6123-nba-playgrounds
      cdj -
      I've only played one game, but two quick thoughts on it:

- Fun game, but wish the game speed was just a bit faster.

- I don't know why 2K got their panties in a twist over a new NBA title, it should have been EA upset. Provided they still have the NBA JAM license (maybe they don't?), I don't know how the NBA let Mad Dog Games/Saber Interactive basically make a JAM rip-off inspired game. It's good, but definitely JAM with some changes/tweaks.
      JBHuskers -
      Yeah, there are a few things lacking in the game offline. But I like the gameplay.

cdj -
      Having to level up and earn XP to get packs for players + leveling up players for special moves are both pretty clever/smart ways to get the player coming back & wanting to play more.

So far, the lineup I have had the best luck with is Mitch Richmond and Ben Simmons. Got my first win with them and have used them every game since.
      bdoughty -
      no no buy for me
      Of all the reasons to not buy a game this is far and away the silliest. I am not buying it but not because of a fictional milestone that garners you a fictional trophy based on completing a bunch of hastily created objectives that the developers might have spent two hours on.
      JBHuskers -
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      Of all the reasons to not buy a game this is far and away the silliest. I am not buying it but not because of a fictional milestone that garners you a fictional trophy based on completing a bunch of hastily created objectives that the developers might have spent two hours on.
      Yeah, I was a whore back in the day. I say back in the day as I bought this game known there was no plat lol

Rudy -
      I have two platinum trophies in my life. I largely don't care about trophies but there is a care factor there. Maybe 20%. I'm not willing to go to extreme ends for them. If it's not enjoyable I don't do it. I think I had a lot for Mordor but never bothered with the Plat. There were some missions that were annoying and I didn't care enough to do them.
      JBHuskers -
      For me, if it is a game I completely enjoy I'll go out of my way to try to get them all.

bdoughty -
      Yeah, I was a whore back in the day. I say back in the day as I bought this game known there was no plat lol

The odds you have overcome. From playing games designed for young girls, to the man who stands before us today. Purchasing a game that does not have a Platinum Trophy.

bdoughty -
      For me, if it is a game I completely enjoy I'll go out of my way to try to get them all.
      One thing I love about Nintendo is they just ignore that crap all together. It was an odd feeling to sit and play Zelda for roughly 300 hours and not have anything pop up on the screen but more than welcome.
      cdj -
      Patch #1 details coming on Monday.
      CLW -
      Meh uninspiring and the free to play 3on3 Freestyle is more sim than this. Unless this game has an easily obtainable I'm probably gonna pass as the article seems to be alluding to an upcoming pay to win model.
      no no buy for me just earned the in 3on3 freestyle hoping they support the title further with dlc and additional trophies.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6123-nba-playgrounds
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      cdj -
      Patch 1.1.0 – PC/Steam

Challenge your friends and other players online… it is here. With the new challenge feature, you’ll be able to directly challenge another player to a game on the playgrounds. All you have to do is to agree on your code, open the online mode, switch to challenges, enter the code and face each other.

We also added a connection manager, which monitors the connection of players during ranked matches and penalizes disconnections from a game which are made to avoid losing a game.

Finally, among other features, 15 new players, for example, Isaiah Thomas and Dennis Rodman, were added to the roster and can now be unlocked via player packs, which you can earn during the tournament or when leveling up your profile.

Thanks again for all your great feedback and support. You rock!

New Features:

- Added: The Challenge Mode feature, which allows you to challenge other players to online matches
      o You can now switch between unranked challenges and ranked games in the online mode
      o To challenge another player, you must switch to the challenge mode in the online menu and define a challenge code. By default, your challenge code is your nickname, but you can change it to your own, personal code. The person you are challenging must enter your code.
      o If you have been challenged, please enter your challenger’s code and press “Accept”.
      o All challenges are unranked and your ranking/ELO will be unaffected by the results of the challenge.
      - Added: Toxicity system/Disconnection Manager, which penalizes players who abandon matches in any other way than surrendering
      - Added: 5 new versions of Shaquille O´Neal in various teams from his career (Boston Celtics, Miami Heat, Phoenix Suns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Orlando Magic)
      - Added: 15 new players join the roster
      o The following players were added: Dennis Rodman, Isaiah Thomas, Larry Bird, Giannis Antetokoumnpo, Kenny Smith, Gary Payton, Klay Thompson, Devin Booker, Tony Parker, Kemba Walker, Seth Curry, Tiny Archibald, John Starks, Tracy McGrady, Pete Maravich
      - Added: A shot-meter was added to help finding the perfect timing for shots, dunks etc.
      - Added: Steam Cloud Save support
      - Added: Steam Big Picture keyboard management
      Notable Changes:
      - Adjusted: Shots were adjusted to make the system more accessible and unified throughout all variations
      - Adjusted: The steal action was adjusted further to better fit the intended gameplay
      o It is now possible to perform a steal action when behind an opponent
      - Changed: 3 pointers no longer fill lottery pick bar
      - Increased: The difficulty of 3 pointers was increased
      - Reduced: The number of steals required for the Las Vegas Challenge #2 was reduced to 10 (was 15)
      - Reduced: The number of 3-pointers needed for the Paris Challenge #4 was reduced to 6 (was 7)
      - Reduced: The number of 3-pointers needed for the London Challenge #1 was reduced to 6 (was 10)
      - Reduced: The number of 3-pointers needed for the Las Vegas Challenge #3 was reduced to 8 (was 12)
      - Reduced: The inbound time was reduced to adjust it to the overall style of the game
      Notable Fixes:
      - Fixed: Issues related to the strength of the force feedback effects were addressed
      JBHuskers -
      Good stuff on that update

cdj -
      NBA PLAYGROUNDS Update 1.1.2

Thanks for all your feedback regarding the last patch. We really appreciated and we´re releasing this patch for the weekend with some improvements we made based on your feedback.

We know that the patches are quite big at this point due to some technical limitations. We´re working on a solution to create smaller patches in the future.

Thanks again for all your great feedback. See you on the playground.

Notable Changes:

Added: A loading screen with the explanation of the new Shot Meter and how player stats define the success ratios for the scoring action.
      Added: 5 new dunks were added to the current set.
      Adjusted: The steal action has been re-balanced based on your feedback to better fit the intended gameplay. Overall, succeeding with a steal action became harder.
      Adjusted: The 3 pointers were adjusted so that players with good stat have an increased chance to score whereas the chance to score for players with low stats was lowered.
      Changed: The card background of Epic and Legendary cards are now silver for Epic cards and golden for Legendary ones.
      Changed: The number of steals needed for the Las Vegas challenge Nr. 2 was reduced to 6 (was 10).
      Changed: The number of steals needed for the Shanghai challenge Nr. 3 was reduced to 4 (was 7).
      Changed: A team can only include each player once; it is no longer possible to have a team with the same players
      Changed: Shaquille O´Neal chance to score a 3-pointer was drastically reduced

Notable Fixes:
      Fixed: An issue that allowed multiple options to be selected at the same time in the Options Menu was fixed.