• Senior Producer Mike Mahar Talks NBA LIVE 17

Fox 13 News' Chris Cato recently visited with Madden Executive Producer Seann Graddy, an Orlando native now leading one of the biggest video game franchises in the world.

At the end of his article, Cato included some information on NBA LIVE in a Q&A with Senior Producer Mike Mahar. While Mahar was unable to give any game specifics at this time, among the noteworthy statements were that LIVE 17 will include new ways to play some modes, gameplay improvements, and a focus on improving animations.

Continue on to read an excerpt of Cato's article and to see the video interview with Mahar.

And one of its most successful franchises has hit a swoon in recent years; critics have panned the past few editions of NBA Live, and sales reflect their assessment.

EA pushed back the release of NBA Live 17. Normally a fall release, it’s now clear the game won’t hit shelves until 2017. EA brought in a new team to revamp the series.

FOX13’s Chris Cato spoke with senior producer Mike Mahar. He declined to give a specific time frame on the game’s release, saying only it will come out “sometime in the calendar year 2017”. But he did hint that there will be some big changes and he essentially promised the animation will be better. See a portion of his interview here, including his answers to critics.

Follow the previous link to see the video interview with Mahar.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Senior Producer Mike Mahar Talks NBA LIVE 17 started by cdj View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
      Rudy -
      So there is a new team in charge? I really liked NBA live 16. I liked it better than 2k. I simply preferred the feel and controls. I don't know how a late release helps though.
      bdoughty -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      So there is a new team in charge? I really liked NBA live 16. I liked it better than 2k. I simply preferred the feel and controls. I don't know how a late release helps though.
      “sometime in the calendar year 2017”

There is the possibility it will release next fall. Release it a month before 2K18 and cross their fingers. They do have the advantage in this regards and can just rename it NBA Live 18. If they do a Spring release like was previously mentioned, they are better off just not shipping it all.
      Rudy -
      Can they release it before NBA 2K? I know that sometimes the leagues set release date minimums. We generally don't have much competition in licensed sports anymore but the Show and MLB 2K were given a hard date that they were not allowed to release prior to that.

I think it would be great if Live could release early and I agree it would help. Or release it in time for the NBA playoffs and promise free support through the next 18 months (sort of like Live 17/18) with great support. Who knows? Maybe they go all digital and release it at a discounted price to save money.
      cdj -
      I believe Mahar joined the existing team. He used to work at EA Vancouver on Fight Night Round 4 & Fight Night Champion and also previously at Microsoft.
      Rudy -
      I was thinking of buying 2k17 today for $40C but I passed. I just find the control scheme too much at times. And the sliders are crazy. That's great for hardcore but overwhelming at times. I didn't like the default stuff last year. Way too many steals from what I remember. I liked Live better.
      JBHuskers -
      I was thinking of buying 2k17 today for $40C but I passed. I just find the control scheme too much at times. And the sliders are crazy. That's great for hardcore but overwhelming at times. I didn't like the default stuff last year. Way too many steals from what I remember. I liked Live better.
      At first I read that as you was thinking about buying it for $40 VC
      Rudy -
      Nope!