• Game Informer: Madden NFL 17 Dev Q&A, Confirms Addition of Formation Subs

Game Informer's Q&A with Madden NFL 17 developers Rex Dickson, John White, and Michael Hoag answered questions from the community.

Perhaps the most noteworthy is the formal announcement of formation subs returning to the game (specifically Franchise Mode) in a day one patch.

Continue on to see the 46 minute Q&A video.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Game Informer: Madden NFL 17 Dev Q&A, Confirms Addition of Formation Subs started by Rudy View original post
    Comments 22 Comments
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Formation subs are in the day one patch! That's huge for me. I can put Landry in the slot so easily now for all formations and have it stick. This game is going to have me buying on day one lol. I could guarantee it if they offered a horizontal all 22 camera.
      Really? It's about time!
      skipwondah33 -
      I could already do it but cool lol

Though won't effect me because I'm not in franchise mode
      jaymo76 -
      Hmmm.. this changes things. I was passing on this game but this changes everything. This is my #1 request.
      steelerfan -
      *Looks at list of beefs with Madden for new thing to bitch about every time the topic of Madden comes up*
      cdj -
      In an exclusive blog posted at Operation Sports, designer Ryan Glick details how the feature works. An excerpt:

Once in Franchise mode, the mechanic works as such:

• From the Franchise mode Hub scroll to the Manage Tab and select the My Coach menu.
      • From the My Coach menu Select Formation Subs
      • The playbooks that load within the formation subs menu are the playbooks that you have set within the schemes section of the My Coach menu.
      • Once in the Formation Subs menu toggle between offense and defense by simply pressing LB or RB (L1 or R1 on PS4).
      • Selected to edit offense or defense and then simply scroll through the different formations by navigating the L-stick while holding down LT (L2 on PS2). Scroll over a formation you want to edit and let go of LT and the formation will populate. Then let go of LT they can use the L-stick to scroll through the different sets within the formation they selected.
      • Next scroll to and highlight the set you want to edit they press the A button (X on PS2) which then allows you to scroll through the players within the selected set. Then select the player you want to change by pressing the A button (X on PS2) after you've scrolled over and highlighted the player.
      • From here scroll through the roster of players to choose your replacement. Pressing the A button (X on PS2) on the selected replacement player subs him in for that formation.
      • You can also reset a sub made to any given formation by selecting the formation you want to reset by pressing the RT button (R2 on PS4).
      • When you are done making formation subs simply press B (O on PS4) to back out the formation subs menu and enter game to view your changes.

Some additional things to keep in mind when using the feature are:

• Formation subs carry from game to game unless you switch your playbook or resets the formation sub.
      • You can still make formation subs when in game by using our legacy playcall screen formation sub feature. This is done by picking plays by formation when at the play call screen by pressing RB when highlighting the formation you want to edit.

The list of eligible players who can be subbed in at each position from the formation sub menu is:

QB = QB, K, P
      HB = HB, FB
      FB = FB, HB, TE
      WR = WR, TE, HB
      TE = TE, FB, LT, RT, MLB
      LT = LT, LG, C, RG, RT
      LG = LG, LT, C, RG, RT
      C = C, LG, LT, RG, RT
      RG = RG, RT, C, LG, LT
      RT = RT, RG, C, LG, LT
      LE - LE, RE, DT, ROLB, LOLB
      RE = RE, LE, DT, ROLB, LOLB
      DT = DT, LE, RE
      LOLB = LOLB, ROLB, MLB, RE, LE
      ROLB = ROLB, LOLB, MLB, RE, LE
      MLB = MLB, ROLB, LOLB
      CB = CB, FS, SS
      FS = FS, SS, CB
      SS = SS, FS, CB
      K = K, P
      P = P, K
      jaymo76 -
      I guess I missed it but I heard today that there are no formation subs for special teams? That cannot be possibly correct. Special teams gets an overhaul this year yet we still cannot do formation subs on the teams? Mind-boggling if true.
      Rudy -
      You are correct - no formation subs on special teams at the moment. Some are bummed. Myself, my biggest uses of formations subs were DL pass rushing on nickel and dime, coverage/pass rush LBs vs thumpers in certain formations, rotatings RBs by formation sets and WRs and CBs that I wanted in the slot. I loved finding snaps for my younger or role players. I can live without the special teams stuff although I know some will be pissed.
      steelerfan -
      Yay! Starters covering kicks and punts cannot be fixed!

[emoji20]
      Rudy -
      Clint just answered a ton of questions on twitter. Said no hope for patching in defensive assignments. Too much logic involved. Did confirm draft strategies by team vastly improved (no back to back 1st rounders at QB for cpu), said running pass commit all the time or not rushing many players will be penalized.
      jaymo76 -
      Clint just answered a ton of questions on twitter. Said no hope for patching in defensive assignments. Too much logic involved. Did confirm draft strategies by team vastly improved (no back to back 1st rounders at QB for cpu), said running pass commit all the time or not rushing many players will be penalized.
      I will take a wait and see on draft logic. It's been bad historically. The bigger issue though is not draft logic but rather roster management based on borked progression. Will that be fixed?
      jaymo76 -

This drives me nuts as this isn't a new feature, simply a repackaging. To call this a new feature is absurd. It streamlines the process of CFM and adds very little that wasn't already present.
      jaymo76 -

The commentary starting around 1:42 is very exciting. That's the immersion factor I am talking about CFM needing as we move forward.
      jaymo76 -

Minor changes to signing and free agency. However, they are an improvement from 16.
      jaymo76 -

A quality gameplay clip DURING CFM (WEEK 9 of the Steelers CFM). The first time I watched the gameplay but the second time was all about franchise experience.

Commentary continues to sound superior to 16 +
      4:47 great cut scene re: Big Ben +
      Ross Cockrell.. 3 ints in one game... that may be worrisome! -
      Score a major and you still celebrate by yourself -
      No ticker stats if the game is over -
      Goal drives continue to ruin immersion -
      Commentary says most WR played RB at some point... can't do it with formation subs -
      End of game helmet shot +
      End of game commentary re: next week +

Records:
      Miami 2-5
      Jets 3-5
      Tennessee 6-2
      San Diego 5-3
      Denver 3-5
      Oakland 4-4
      Atlanta 5-4
      Tampa Bay 2-6
      Detroit 2-6
      Minnesota 6-1
      Buffalo 4-4
      Seattle 2-5
      Philly 2-4
      Giants 5-2
      Carolina 5-2
      LA Rams 5-2 (probably due to overinflating rookie QB numbers!!!)
      Indy 3-5
      Green Bay 2-5
      New Orleans 4-3
      San Francisco 4-3
      Jacksonville 4-3
      Kansas City 3-4
      Dallas 4-3
      Cleveland 2-5

Some Stats:
      Tannehill at halftime 3/5 50 yards 1 int
      Tannehill end of the 3rd 3/6 50 yards 1 int
      Tannehill 3/6 50 yards 1 int 4th quarter (he must be injured?)
      * no back up stats though???

Romo 25/35 299 yards 3 td's
      - Morris 13 carries 38 yards
      Bridgewater 12/18 128 yards 1 int
      Manning 15/25 186 yards 1 td 1 int
      Wentz 14/25 191 2 td's 1 int
      Bortles 12/18 159 yards

Too many to list but not one running back broke 100 yards. AP came close with 16 carries for 91 yards but most RB averaged 13 carries for 40 yards (est.)
      souljahbill -
      The Rams are 5-2 because the Madden team is in on the Rams being great because they moved to LA. Your cognitive dissonance won't allow you to think for yourself.
      Rudy -
      Looking forward to your impressions with EA Access guys!
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      Score a major and you still celebrate by yourself -

Goal drives continue to ruin immersion -
      Good observations, jaymo.

I'd only add/state that there are 'supposed' to be more multi-player celebrations after scores. I haven't watched any clips yet to see if that made it in (or isn't working/neutered), but it is supposed to be different this year. Maybe they aren't set (or tuned) to play in proper context?

Also, there is a setting to turn off Goal Drives from showing in the score ticker. I don't know/remember if there is a setting to turn off The Sims numbers from showing during/after gameplay, however.
      jaymo76 -
      Looking forward to your impressions with EA Access guys!
      I'm taking the family on a well deserved vacation and won't be back until after Madden drops. I hope everyone who purchases enjoys the game. I look forward to reading impressions from time-to-time when I get a chance.
      Rudy -
      I'm really on the fence about this game. I'm sure it's better but nothing revolutionary. New commentary will make it feel more fresh. Haven't cancelled my Amazon pre order yet. Got it for 20% off and I will probably keep it.
      souljahbill -
      I'll have a PS4 by this time next year so there's a good chance I'll get Madden 18. I like what I've seen so far out of Madden and the last Madden I got was Madden 25 just so I could upload my NCAA 14 draft classes.