• First Madden NFL 17 Features Overview

With the reveal of Rob Gronkowski as the Madden NFL 17 cover athlete, EA SPORTS has also disclosed some early information on the game's feature set.

Ball Carrier Controls: Depending on the player's attributes, players have a have tiered system of special moves that can be executed. Bigger backs are more effective at trucking defenders while smaller backs are more effective at jukes and spins. UI Prompts will indicate the moves available at that instance and on lower difficulties the moves will be automatically executed. The new Path Assist will help users see exactly what hole they are heading towards and also their current path downfield.

New Defensive AI incorporates gap play, force defenders, and improved zone coverages. Defenders are more properly aware and following assignments than ever before, meaning the offense must be able to read defenses in order to be successful against top competition.

Special Teams have long been considered automatic - if not downright boring - in Madden NFL (and NCAA Football before it), but a new Kick Meter (& kick options), ability to ice the kicker, trick plays, and a block kick mechanic will add a new dynamic to the third phase of the game that has long been missing.

Lacking any additional details at this time, EA SPORTS is also touting a redesigned and deeper than ever Franchise Mode.

Continue on to read the blog from EA SPORTS on the first features overview.

Madden NFL 17 Features Overview

Three years ago we set out to transform gameplay with the desire to deliver new mechanics, authentic AI and accessibility. In Madden NFL 15 we started with making defense fun again, last year we helped you to dominate the air, and in Madden NFL 17 on Xbox One and Playstation®4 we address all three phases of the game on offense, defense, and special teams. Let's start with offense and the new Ball Carrier Controls.

We’ve added a tiered system to the types of special moves different players are able to pull off – depending on their attributes, ratings and speed. So now, expect your bigger bruising backs to be more effective with truck moves and stiff arms, while smaller, shiftier backs have more effective jukes and spins. Now don't worry if you’re not a magician yet on the sticks. New Ball Carrier UI Prompts help teach moves available to you, while the new Path Assist helps you navigate and anticipate down field. Additionally on lower skill levels, you can put the work on us and we will pick the appropriate moves for you, unlocking the fun for all of our players. Now, onto the defensive side of the ball.

While the new tools on offense make you a better, more creative ball carrier, the New Defensive AI System is built on up to date NFL Strategies – such as Gap Play, Force Defenders and improved Zone Coverages. It’s time to force your opponents to stop being so one dimensional. New Gap Play AI brings a new level of NFL authenticity and strategy to your defensive teammates. Each of your teammates has a gap assignment on run defense that puts them in position to better defend the run. Force defenders protect the outside of the field, pushing the ball carrier back inside allowing cut back defenders to make the big play. Finally Zone Coverage has been completely overhauled, with the addition of 8 new zone concepts never before seen in Madden. Defenders have more awareness of threats to each zone and can pattern match receivers, creating defensive counters to stop virtually every passing concept. It's our most realistic AI to date and it's across the entire field.

Special Teams, the 3rd phase of football, is where big games are often won and lost. For the first time years we’re bringing the excitement back to special teams. A New Kick Meter is designed to increase the challenge of the kicking game like we see in today’s NFL. Additionally, the ability to ice the kicker allows you to turn up the pressure on those late game winning field goal attempts. New trick plays and a new block kick mechanic add new elements to the risk and reward of Special Teams.

Combined, these gameplay innovations demonstrate our continued effort to make this the most complete Madden ever. Unlocking the fun for all players, including our most passionate fans as well as new comers to the franchise.

Features are representative of XBOX ONE and PLAYSTATION 4

GROUND GAME - All-New on Both Sides of The Ball

Experience the most balanced gameplay to date on offense making you a better, more creative ball carrier, while new defensive AI puts your teammates into position to stop the run or passing game.

FRANCHISE - Redesigned and Deeper Than Ever

Take your team all the way in the deepest Franchise mode to-date, putting you at the center of your team’s Championship run.

PRESENTATION - See It and Hear It to Believe It

Feel and experience the game from a new perspective - focused on you.

MADDEN 365 - Never Miss a Beat

If it happens in the NFL, it happens in Madden. Experience fresh content daily for your football fix.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: First Madden NFL 17 Features Overview started by cdj View original post
    Comments 7 Comments
      jaymo76 -
      Incredibly underwhelming IMO. ...

A new kick metre.... Again....
      Hinting at a new camera angle... Again....
      Ice the kicker... Again...
      New zone D... Again...

A blog discussing strategy yet no mention of formation subs or custom packages. No details on franchise mode other than a vague promise. Do these guys even try anymore?
      Rudy -
      A lot of stuff may just be fluff but I do really like the tiered approach to special running moves. That will show more individual differences and I like it. I wanted to see a bigger difference between shifty backs and power backs.

Gap play and better zone stuff sounds like lip service. I think the current physics engine is weak and I'm not sure they can pull this off. Madden still feels like a game with individual players each doing their own thing rather than working collectively on defence to tackle and make plays.

I'd love formation subs but I'd prefer a user cam or sideways Texas cam.

How about a feature sheet that says "Less bugs so you don't have to wait months for a broken franchise mode!" That really hurt last year and the fact the core game play and lacklustre physics engine started to grate on me leaves me apathetic to M17.
      Jayrah -
      Well, I at least like where they headed. Special teams desperately needs an overhaul, block mechanics and new trick plays (if pulled off somewhat correctly) would be major improvements. I hope the kick meter affects the timing of the kick as well so that there is more chances for late kicks that could get blocked easier or early kicks that would be shanked.

If we're talking about "collective effort" Gap play is crucial work, as are zone concepts AND pattern reads of a team that runs patterns over and over again. It's the first mini-blog of the season so it's not going to have form subs or packages or any of the hardcore stuff attached. Personally I loved what they accomplished last season, still has a ways to go but it's made unexpected strides the past year or two.
      skipwondah33 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      Well, I at least like where they headed. Special teams desperately needs an overhaul, block mechanics and new trick plays (if pulled off somewhat correctly) would be major improvements. I hope the kick meter affects the timing of the kick as well so that there is more chances for late kicks that could get blocked easier or early kicks that would be shanked.

If we're talking about "collective effort" Gap play is crucial work, as are zone concepts AND pattern reads of a team that runs patterns over and over again. It's the first mini-blog of the season so it's not going to have form subs or packages or any of the hardcore stuff attached. Personally I loved what they accomplished last season, still has a ways to go but it's made unexpected strides the past year or two.
      This

Though I like the way formation subs work now. Love being able to have who I want in any formation from play to play manually (not using the package sub feature) vs setting and forgetting (and not being able to change it without pausing).
      jaymo76 -
      OS has confirmed that Madden 17 will NOT HAVE FORMATION SUBS...AGAIN!!!

Seriously Tiburon? A top 3 request every year yet you won't deliver? Speculation is that they don't want to upset online players/ money players. What a total joke. The Madden Tiburon team is continuing to prove why they are the weakest AAA sports title. Just give control of your game to the old NCAA TEAM and let them show you how to create a solid sports title.

With this omission again I will NOT buy Madden 17. Long time supporters of the series deserve better!
      steelerfan -
      If that's true, jaymo, I'm not surprised. Ridiculous.
      Rudy -
      I'm wondering if they will have separate special teams sliders in franchise this year. I'm guessing no which is still inexcusable. At least they changed the kick no mechanic. Maybe people will actually miss this year? But the distance part of the three click needs to be more reasonable. Shanking a distance shouldn't mean kicking less than 20 yards. No kicker in the NFL misses short on anything under 45 or even 50 unless there is wind.