• Kirk Herbstreit Wants NCAA Football Series to Return

One of the in-game commentators in the NCAA Football franchise has now become one of the first - if not the loudest - voices in trying to get the franchise to return.

Analyst Kirk Herbsteit is not only hoping the series returns, he puts the blame squarely at the feet of Ed O'Bannon, whose class-action lawsuit helped lead to the (temporary?) end of EA SPORTS' NCAA Football franchise. In an interview with SECcountry.com, Herbstreit issued the following comments: “I was probably as devastated or more devastated than anybody in the country. I’ll do anything I can do to help be a part, to lead a cause, bring that game back.” ... "I can’t believe Ed O’Bannon took that game away from us.”

If Herbstreit is serious about helping to see NCAA Football return - which we believe he is - he should use his connections and weekly in-season meetings with Athletic Directors and athletic departments to push for schools/conferences to actually use their highly clamored for autonomy and establish player likeness rights for student-athletes. Since acquiring the rights to make some of their own rules, the Power Five conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC) and the NCAA have continued to punt on finally addressing this long-term issue. Until that issue (and likely all litigation) is settled, there is no little to no hope for the franchise returning.

Continue on to read an excerpt of SECcountry.com's interview with Herbstreit.

Kirk Herbstreit’s friendly tone was gone. It was mid-November, and the upbeat ESPN analyst just finished discussing Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin and Alabama’s College Football Playoff hopes.

Then he go [sic] quiet; angry silence brought about by a simple question: Are they bringing the NCAA Football video game back?

There’s a rustle on the other end of the line.

Then, Herbstreit spoke.

“They better,” he said. “I can’t believe Ed O’Bannon took that game away from us.”

There’s plenty to unpack here. “They” is a conglomerate of the NCAA, EA Sports and a coalition of former players headed by O’Bannon, an ex-UCLA and NBA forward who filed an antitrust class action lawsuit against the NCAA demanding payment for commercial use of amateur athletes’ images.

One of the lawsuit’s consequences was the demise of NCAA Football, EA Sports’ beloved video-game franchise that used tens of thousands of players’ likenesses in its run from 1993-2013.

Herbstreit, a senior Ohio State quarterback when the inaugural version of NCAA Football dropped, would play marathon sessions with wide receiver Joey Galloway.

“I can’t even tell you how many hours we put in on that game,” Herbstreit says.

Within a decade, Herbstreit was featured on the game as an analyst, teaming up with play-by-play man Brad Nessler and peppy former coach Lee Corso to become an unforgettable video game trio.

When EA Sports discontinued publishing the game two years ago, Herbstreit was floored.

“I was probably as devastated or more devastated than anybody in the country,” he says. “I’ll do anything I can do to help be a part, to lead a cause, bring that game back.”

Herbstreit contends that — pay or no pay — athletes want the franchise to return.

“Every single college football player,” he said. “You know what they’d love for their compensation to be? Just give ‘em a free game. That’s the compensation that they would take.

“I’ve never met one player in college football that’s like: ‘They can’t use my name and likeness! I need to be paid!’ They’re just thrilled to be on the game. They love being on the game. It’s like the biggest highlight of their life, is to be on the game.”

Courtesy: SECcountry.com
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Kirk Herbstreit Wants NCAA Football Series to Return started by cdj View original post
    Comments 60 Comments
      SmoothPancakes -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      Are they absolutely sure that people are buying the game for the names on the back and not the names on the front? Did they survey that?
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      Thinking it over, I'm of the opinion that if they put out a game with generic rosters at this point it would sell VERY well.

In year 1.

People are starved for NCAA and I think the next version that comes out (if that happens) will shatter sales records for the series, no matter what the content is. But I think sales would dry up after year one if there were generic rosters.
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Rosters aren't much of a big deal for dynasty players. They main names are mostly gone after a year or two.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      That has always been the selling point for me. I wanted play as OU the team far more than as the players currently enrolled at OU. Rosters were icing on the cake but I could have lived with making my OU starting roster and having everything else generic. As JB mentions, roster names are pretty useless for dynasty owners after a couple years.
      Exactly. I play to play as my school, not the guys at the school. Generic NCAA rosters isn't the same as generic Madden rosters. I can't see people buying the game just to play "as" Leonard Fournette as long as generic LSU RB #2 (his real number is #7) is a beast. You can even name the default roster so he can be LSU RB #2 Joseph Jackson.
      Absolutely this. I'm sitting at the beginning of season 14 in my coaching carousel dynasty. I stopped giving a damn about properly named rosters 10 seasons ago. I stopped using real named rosters in NCAA '12. NCAA '13 and NCAA '14, I instantly just auto-named my rosters and jumped right into the action on my dynasty. So count me with the group that couldn't give a single damn about real named rosters. Let me auto-name my rosters and I'm 100% good to go. I play for the names of the teams on the front, not the names of the players on the back. The players can suck my dick.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
      Absolutely this. I'm sitting at the beginning of season 14 in my coaching carousel dynasty. I stopped giving a damn about properly named rosters 10 seasons ago. I stopped using real named rosters in NCAA '12. NCAA '13 and NCAA '14, I instantly just auto-named my rosters and jumped right into the action on my dynasty. So count me with the group that couldn't give a single damn about real named rosters. Let me auto-name my rosters and I'm 100% good to go. I play for the names of the teams on the front, not the names of the players on the back. The players can suck my dick.
      The problem though is and would continue to be the argument for creating some sense of realism within a given roster while being able to call it "random". The names and imo 'true' player likeness have never been the issue, it's that RB #2 is black and tends to have RB #7 (Fournette) traits and tendencies to give the LSU roster a realistic approach to LSU's offense. Based on consumer demand just here on this site and I'm sure all around the community, EA would still want to create a game as realistic as possible from a strategic and gameplay standpoint and could absolutely not do that without at least mimicking the roster to a large extent, which is the real and original problem. We say we wouldn't care if it were random, but we WOULD care if it were "unrealistic". The two go hand in hand.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      Thinking it over, I'm of the opinion that if they put out a game with generic rosters at this point it would sell VERY well.

In year 1.

People are starved for NCAA and I think the next version that comes out (if that happens) will shatter sales records for the series, no matter what the content is. But I think sales would dry up after year one if there were generic rosters.
      Unfortunately enough, the reason the general public buys the ncaa game season to season is to play that new season (or online) as "their team" for that year. The ppl that make up probably 85% of the game's sales live in that bubble and don't actually care as much about new back of the box features, realistic running styles, realistic crowds, new equipment, true recruiting or any of that kind of stuff. Most consumers are cheesers who just want the experience of winning with their favorite guys. So yeah, year 1 would obliterate the sales record, then the general consumer would realize since it's random that they may as well just continue with that game for awhile.

There is a case to be made for a 2-year cycle that would sell better, but the numbers game is still tough to justify if you have a dedicated team getting paid to do what it would take to keep the hardcore group happy and still worrying about average Joe making up more of your consumer base and already being satisfied with his already randomized roster and not buying.

Jayrah -
      [emoji31]
      baseballplyrmvp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      The problem though is and would continue to be the argument for creating some sense of realism within a given roster while being able to call it "random". The names and imo 'true' player likeness have never been the issue, it's that RB #2 is black and tends to have RB #7 (Fournette) traits and tendencies to give the LSU roster a realistic approach to LSU's offense. Based on consumer demand just here on this site and I'm sure all around the community, EA would still want to create a game as realistic as possible from a strategic and gameplay standpoint and could absolutely not do that without at least mimicking the roster to a large extent, which is the real and original problem. We say we wouldn't care if it were random, but we WOULD care if it were "unrealistic". The two go hand in hand.

This is why I said for them to rate position groups and give position groups traits. You get randomness from each customers roster but get a controlled randomness by having Alabama having all highly rated running backs, USC having highly rated WRs, etc.
      steelerfan -
      Unfortunately enough, the reason the general public buys the ncaa game season to season is to play that new season (or online) as "their team" for that year. The ppl that make up probably 85% of the game's sales live in that bubble and don't actually care as much about new back of the box features, realistic running styles, realistic crowds, new equipment, true recruiting or any of that kind of stuff. Most consumers are cheesers who just want the experience of winning with their favorite guys. So yeah, year 1 would obliterate the sales record, then the general consumer would realize since it's random that they may as well just continue with that game for awhile.

There is a case to be made for a 2-year cycle that would sell better, but the numbers game is still tough to justify if you have a dedicated team getting paid to do what it would take to keep the hardcore group happy and still worrying about average Joe making up more of your consumer base and already being satisfied with his already randomized roster and not buying.

You nailed it and that's exactly why I said year 1 would break sales records but the sales would decline after that.

I think 85% is a bit generous to those who say "I would still play it". The reality is that probably 95%+ do not fall into line with the thinking of people who post on a forum dedicated to a game that has not existed for going on 3 years.

We are not representative of the general public on this matter.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
      This is why I said for them to rate position groups and give position groups traits. You get randomness from each customers roster but get a controlled randomness by having Alabama having all highly rated running backs, USC having highly rated WRs, etc.
      Yeah but then you run into a whole new issue for the Dynasty guys because you then have to put each team into even more of a box when it comes to longterm cpu recruiting and play style and the like. Those kinds of things are why ncaa football was struggling to maintain numbers in the dynasty circles to begin with. Granted we're the small majority so that might work to gather necessary sales, but in the long run it wouldn't help our cause as hardcore fans. And even though we're the minority, that's who I believe they would want to cater to. Too many fans of real football making the game to not want more realistic results with each edition. Why make a game if you can't chase a more realistic experience?

You can't really open the box in a football game and expect one set of rules for the game to create "random realism" for each team in season 1, in order to satisfy the contract, then switch gears and get a realistic and truly Dyasty-esque experience with what would have to be a whole new set of rules to satisfy our needs as players.

baseballplyrmvp -
      Yeah but then you run into a whole new issue for the Dynasty guys because you then have to put each team into even more of a box when it comes to longterm cpu recruiting and play style and the like. Those kinds of things are why ncaa football was struggling to maintain numbers in the dynasty circles to begin with. Granted we're the small majority so that might work to gather necessary sales, but in the long run it wouldn't help our cause as hardcore fans. And even though we're the minority, that's who I believe they would want to cater to. Too many fans of real football making the game to not want more realistic results with each edition. Why make a game if you can't chase a more realistic experience?

You can't really open the box in a football game and expect one set of rules for the game to create "random realism" for each team in season 1, in order to satisfy the contract, then switch gears and get a realistic and truly Dyasty-esque experience with what would have to be a whole new set of rules to satisfy our needs as players.

I really don't think you understand my idea for the position groups.

For example, Alabamas o-line. They'd be ranked 10/10 for talent and be labeled as physical, smart, run blockers. This tells us that their o-line would have high strength, great awareness and run blocking skills and average pass blocking.

You tie the current roster template to the coaches and coordinators. When the game is first loaded up, it randomly rates each position group according to the ranking. Bama's o-line would be 75-99, with higher rankings given to the upper class men. This position ranking is k ly used the first time the game is loaded (could also be used if you delete all roster files).

its a controlled randomness. It allows everyone's game to be different yet all pretty close to being the same at first startup.
      gschwendt -
      I really don't think you understand my idea for the position groups.

For example, Alabamas o-line. They'd be ranked 10/10 for talent and be labeled as physical, smart, run blockers. This tells us that their o-line would have high strength, great awareness and run blocking skills and average pass blocking.

You tie the current roster template to the coaches and coordinators. When the game is first loaded up, it randomly rates each position group according to the ranking. Bama's o-line would be 75-99, with higher rankings given to the upper class men. This position ranking is k ly used the first time the game is loaded (could also be used if you delete all roster files).

its a controlled randomness. It allows everyone's game to be different yet all pretty close to being the same at first startup.
      You're correct that it would be controlled randomness, but there would still exist a possibility (albeit slim) of creating a near replica of a player.

For example, what if on Alabama's roster, a 6'3 245lb African-American Runningback from Florida was created?
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
      You're correct that it would be controlled randomness, but there would still exist a possibility (albeit slim) of creating a near replica of a player.

For example, what if on Alabama's roster, a 6'3 245lb African-American Runningback from Florida was created?
      I say fuck the randomness and have EA create a roster from scratch as the default. That way, they can make the team's realistic while making the players generic.
      baseballplyrmvp -
      Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post

I fully expect that to happen on some of the rosters created. But for the huge majority of the rosters it won't happen.

The chances of Deshawn Watson going and buying NCAA 17 and it randomly creates his exact player profile as one of the best qb's in college football on the Clemson roster are slim to none. Someone in this country may have it happen, but the chances of him getting himself are incredibly microscopic.

That is what EA can bank on. The fact that those odds are so low for one player alone on one separate occasion. Not every player in the country getting everyone and their teammates every single time.
      souljahbill -
      I just thought of something, at the end of every fictional movie in the credits, there's a disclaimer saying any resemblance to real people or events is strictly coincidence. Surely EA can throw that disclaimer on a pre-menu splash screen.
      Jayrah -
      I just thought of something, at the end of every fictional movie in the credits, there's a disclaimer saying any resemblance to real people or events is strictly coincidence. Surely EA can throw that disclaimer on a pre-menu splash screen.
      Wasn't that their claim originally though?

souljahbill -
      Wasn't that their claim originally though?

Yeah but they used players height, weight, numbers, etc.

If they created their own original fictional roster and used the disclaimer, they're home free.
      OLATHExSOONER -
      If only EA could hear our cry for more NCAA Football. Let's just send a few scathing emails to EA and maybe tweet at Kirk Herbstreit a little, he does like talking to his fans on Twitter lol. If only it were that easy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      JeffHCross -
      Are they absolutely sure that people are buying the game for the names on the back and not the names on the front? Did they survey that?
      Remember, after the NCAA pulled out their backing, it was going to be called "College Football '15" or something like that. But then several conferences and major schools (Ohio State included, if I recall) started wavering, just because of the liability. I think without full backing of the NCAA and CLC, and protection from liability as much as possible, the schools don't want to take the risk of more litigation. So you'd be most likely to get a generic game with generic rosters and generic schools (anybody remember the old "Columbus" with red and gray as the colors?). Games that have sold well have always either had the backing of the teams or the players union ... neither is a tough sell. And, personally, I would imagine that EA would be hesitant to do anything resembling real players or real schools, so it would have to be so obviously not real that they probably wouldn't even do the "hey this team just happens to have the right colors" move.
      souljahbill -
      I wouldn't buy it without the real teams and stadiums but I'd gladly buy it with 100% super generic rosters.
      JBHuskers -
      I wouldn't buy it without the real teams and stadiums but I'd gladly buy it with 100% super generic rosters.
      baseballplyrmvp -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
      Remember, after the NCAA pulled out their backing, it was going to be called "College Football '15" or something like that. But then several conferences and major schools (Ohio State included, if I recall) started wavering, just because of the liability. I think without full backing of the NCAA and CLC, and protection from liability as much as possible, the schools don't want to take the risk of more litigation. So you'd be most likely to get a generic game with generic rosters and generic schools (anybody remember the old "Columbus" with red and gray as the colors?). Games that have sold well have always either had the backing of the teams or the players union ... neither is a tough sell. And, personally, I would imagine that EA would be hesitant to do anything resembling real players or real schools, so it would have to be so obviously not real that they probably wouldn't even do the "hey this team just happens to have the right colors" move.
      So what's stopping EA or some 3rd party EA partner from going to every school and asking every football player to sign away his image/likeness/whatever you want to call it. Add it to whatever paperwork is already there for student athletes to sign every year. It'd be as easy as one line:

I, ________, agree to give consent to EA Sports for use of my likeness in their annual video game NCAA Football, in exchange for no dollar amount, just a copy of said listed video game.

Hell, EA could come up with a VIP promo where casual fans buy a $5 season pass and you can play against college football players during the season. That could turn into a competition into which school has the best gamers etc. lol.
      Jayrah -
      So what's stopping EA or some 3rd party EA partner from going to every school and asking every football player to sign away his image/likeness/whatever you want to call it. Add it to whatever paperwork is already there for student athletes to sign every year. It'd be as easy as one line:

I, ________, agree to give consent to EA Sports for use of my likeness in their annual video game NCAA Football, in exchange for no dollar amount, just a copy of said listed video game.

Hell, EA could come up with a VIP promo where casual fans buy a $5 season pass and you can play against college football players during the season. That could turn into a competition into which school has the best gamers etc. lol.
      If they were to pay me I'd be all about being the one to do that. Each and every school.