• Madden NFL 16 Tuner Update Addresses WR/DB Risk/Reward Interactions

A new Madden NFL 16 tuner update addresses WR/DB risk/reward interceptions. It is believed to have increased the number of interceptions on Aggressive catch attempts as well as decreasing the likelihood of a WR catch with multiple defenders in the area.

The tuner update will be automatically downloaded upon starting the game. There is currently no update on the upcoming game patch.

This article was originally published in forum thread: Madden NFL 16 Tuner Update Addresses WR/DB Risk/Reward Interactions started by cdj View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
      Rudy -
      I will say that on jump balls I've seen WRs win and I didn't think they were really over powered much. But I've never seen a DB intercept a jump ball. This might be a good thing.

Furthermore there was a video on YouTube showing Megatron being individually assigned coverage by every defender and he still went up and caught a ball in massive traffic. Tuning aggressive catch in traffic might not be so bad either.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jHhQHeRs9g
      gigemaggs99 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      I will say that on jump balls I've seen WRs win and I didn't think they were really over powered much. But I've never seen a DB intercept a jump ball. This might be a good thing.

Furthermore there was a video on YouTube showing Megatron being individually assigned coverage by every defender and he still went up and caught a ball in massive traffic. Tuning aggressive catch in traffic might not be so bad either.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jHhQHeRs9g
      LOL that's a funny video, that's how I feel playing my son, I'll get him into 3rd and long, he throws it up into triple coverage and boom makes the grab. I wouldn't be so upset if he threw it somewhere else (i.e. if I'm triple covering someone, someone else HAS TO BE OPEN), but instead he throws it into coverage and comes down with it. The hard part is trying to convince him it won't work every time, he's 7 so he likes to throw it deep and when it works on 3rd and long it's hard for me to teach him that's not the "most ideal play call".
      skipwondah33 -
      I didnt think it was bad to begin with and didnt need tuned.

Also have picked off and have had picked off jump balls. In the test with Megatron had a few. I was picked off 5 times on the flip side.

Also recall Megatron being triple covered amd making all 3 defenders look like school kids in real life

Now it will likely go back to the defense having a 98.9% chance of the CB picking the ball off and the WR being a spectator.

The result of the one handed catches needed taken away so frequently but not the fight they show for going after it
      jaymo76 -
      The tip drills are still over the top. It seems as though the DB will swat the ball and then 1-3 defenders will bounce it around... it happens but it should not happen several times per game.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
      I didnt think it was bad to begin with and didnt need tuned.

Also have picked off and have had picked off jump balls. In the test with Megatron had a few. I was picked off 5 times on the flip side.

Also recall Megatron being triple covered amd making all 3 defenders look like school kids in real life

Now it will likely go back to the defense having a 98.9% chance of the CB picking the ball off and the WR being a spectator.

The result of the one handed catches needed taken away so frequently but not the fight they show for going after it
      Yup. If the interactions revert to something like last year then this game is done! Honestly, just leave it the way it is because it's a heck of a lot better than anything previous.
      skipwondah33 -
      I've only had 3 of those actually be picks in my number of games. Just had the 3rd tonight on a swat but Allen was trailing WR and Safety swatted it out.

I've only 2 guys tops around the swatter and another guy depending on coverage.
      jaymo76 -
      Just watched Luck go 19/20 for 263 yards and 3 TD's. My team was victim to 9 pass deflections by the Colts. I don't know what the NFL average is but I am willing to bet that is way too high!
      jaymo76 -
      Played a bunch of games since the tuner and I am confident to say that I have seen no noticeable difference with the interaction, which is a good thing.
      cdj -
      Rudy -
      First time I saw a one handed int this morning. Overall the tuner is very subtle thankfully.

skipwondah33 -
      Same. I've had 1 on 1 catches and broken up depending on who is defending.

Which both were the same before the tuning update...which also is why I didn't think there was an issue to begin with alteast on All Madden.

The catches I've seen in one on one situations were when I had Antwon Blake covering bigger guys in better position. Blake is a generous 5'-9".

I've only seen 1 one handed catch I believe in 4 games since update, but didn't see all that many of those either despite people apparently seeing alot of them. I wasn't even seeing 1 per game, though I know one every few games is still alot. That is an animation issue though not an aggressive catch issue.
      steelerfan -
      Yeah, thanks to OBJ, you get to see the greatest catch ever several times in a season.

I shouldn't talk because I haven't played the game but jeez. Every highlight package I see has that damn OBJ catch in it.
      Rudy -
      The patch is expected to be out today.
      steelerfan -
      The patch is expected to be out today.
      Hopefully the patch will clean up CFM for you guys.
      Rudy -
      I hope so too. New roster update later this week too.
      gigemaggs99 -
      Has anyone tried playing after deleting the tuner? Over at OP they talk about how the game is better without the turner.

I know, since the turner and patch, I cannot play pass defense to save my life. Games are all shoot-outs. Doesn't matter if I'm playing the CPU with sliders in my CFM or a game on Rookie with my son in Play Now. Doesn't matter what defense I pick the QBs are completing something nuts like 90+%.

Anyone see this?
      skipwondah33 -
      I haven't seen or noticed anything different like that.

Pass defense is about the same. Breaking up ones I was before the update and some I don't.
      Rudy -
      Some have said delete the tuner and redownload. I think it's a placebo effect.
      steelerfan -
      On OS, you will hear that every time. That, or just delete it.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      On OS, you will hear that every time. That, or just delete it.
      Honestly I have stopped reading OS posts on gameplay. Sometimes I think we are playing two different games. I rarely even go there anymore... any meaningful discussion and people jump down your throats if it's not feel good feedback and the Mods ban pretty much any discussion they don't like. That place has changed... for the worse.