• Community Impressions of NBA Live 16's LIVE Pro-Am

As EA SPORTS NBA Live has worked hard on re-building NBA LIVE the last few years, the top question and community request has been "Where is LIVE Run? When will we get Online Team Play?" Well, that request has been met with LIVE Pro-Am in NBA Live 16.

Continue on to learn more about these modes and hands-on impressions from community event attendees that will be added throughout the day.

LIVE Pro-Am consists of two different online modes: Summer Circuit and the much-anticipated return of LIVE Run. Both modes consist of 5-on-5 action as teams aim to reach 21 points first using traditional two- and three-point goals.

In Summer Circuit, 1-5 users play on the same team as they work through five challenges on each of the real-life venues to unlock rewards such as gear and equipment. Some of the real-life venues users can play in include Rucker Park, Jordan Terminal 23, and Venice Beach. Each venue has an overall difficulty level with the five challenges also increasing in difficulty as you progress. Each game features a set of three objectives with one always being to win the game that will unlock the next challenge. Opponents in this mode consist of NBA players and some fictional teammates to deliver on the Pro-Am title. Success in this mode will require communication and teamwork.

Arguably the most popular feature in franchise history, LIVE Run returns allowing 2-10 players to square off in 5-on-5 action with their created player. The venues will be randomly selected, allowing users to see the great-looking courts added to the game.

In both modes, there is the possibility of CPU-controlled teammates. In our experience at the community events, the CPU players were competent but not over-powered. While there was uneasiness at first hearing of CPU-controlled players in the mix, they can/should be used by players to do things human players may be hesitant to do - set screens, crash the boards and rebound, etc. Knowing how to utilize your CPU teammates can be important in getting open and scoring on a pivotal possession.

Both LIVE RUN and Summer Circuit will require users to play according to their created player strengths (key skill), communicate, and develop/execute a strategy. The #RiseTogether hash-tag stresses how important it is that players work as a team. For one to achieve success, it will have to be accomplished together as a team.

Leaderboards and stat tracking for LIVE Pro-Am will allow users to monitor their success and compete against friends and fellow members of the NBA LIVE community.

Using the GamefaceHD app, users can scan their face in a matter of seconds and have a scarily accurate likeness in the game. To help make each user unique, the game features a bevy of clothing and apparel options as well as a large selection of tattoo choices from Randy Harris, arguably the top tattoo artist to NBA stars. As users complete LIVE Pro-Am and Rising Star games they are rewarded Skill Points and Reward Points to improve the skill and look of their player, respectively. This technology and methodology help to make each player unique - and with the inability to buy Skill or Reward Points with real-life currency, everything must be earned on the court; there are no shortcuts. If you want to get better, you need to earn it on the court.

As attendees played Summer Circuit and Live Run at the June and July NBA LIVE 16 community events, games would start out with some struggles as we devised a gameplan and understood player strengths - not just our teammates, but also our own. As we progressed through LIVE Pro-Am, a gameplan would emerge to focus on player key skills. For example, my created player was a shooting off-guard so I worked to set screens and pop open for long jumpers courtesy the point guard play of Andrew from NLSC. When the defense stopped that, we would look for YouTuber QJB's dominant big man in the post or looking for Ticoistocory or FLIGHT on the wings, slashing in. Playing as a great teammate is important in the game as it is in real life, so play wisely to get a high Teammate Grade.

On average it took approximately 7-12 minutes per LIVE Pro-Am game, allowing the group to play countless games. The competitive and fast-paced nature of the game led to us staying late in the studio several nights to keep playing, even squeezing in extra games in the minutes before the shuttle bus would arrive.

Losses seemingly almost always resulted in our team wanting to try immediately again as we worked on a new strategy and gameplan. A victory (especially against a tough human or CPU squad) typically resulted in cheering and applause among teammates.

LIVE Pro-Am is the mode that many NBA LIVE fans have been asking for since the return of the franchise with NBA LIVE 14. I look forward to playing the mode again in September with the community at-large and plan on sharing more tips for success at that time.

Please post any questions or comments you may have here or reach me on Twitter at @cdj80. Thanks for reading!

cdj is an EA SPORTS Game Changer and has attended community events for NBA Live 15 and NBA Live 16.

Additional links to community hands-on impressions will be added as available.

Andrew's (NLSC) LIVE Pro-Am Hands-On Impressions (An excerpt)

I’ve mentioned several times in my Friday Five articles, and in episodes of the NLSC Podcast, that I’m not a big online gamer. Not just when it comes to sports games: I’m usually just drawn to the single player experience, or local multiplayer with friends if we’re talking about fighting games. Therefore, in theory, while I’d naturally have an appreciation for these modes, I shouldn’t be too hyped about them.

However, this is where I have to give Summer Circuit and LIVE Run a ringing endorsement. While I’ll always love Dynasty Mode, I can see myself playing these modes in NBA Live 16, and having a lot of fun with them. As someone who traditionally hasn’t been all that into online modes – I’ve had some fun with them at times, but never been too keen on them – I’m not sure that there’s any higher praise I can offer than saying that these are modes that actually have me interested in playing online, and looking forward to doing so.

Again, I’m a fan of having separate in-game currencies for the ratings upgrades and player gear, as well as avoiding an ugly scenario where players can max out their player straight away by spending real money. The ratings and height/weight caps for different positions should keep things balanced, and cut down on cheese. I also like the integration with Rising Star, since your player can be levelled up across both modes, and the boosted ratings carry over if you start one mode after levelling up in the other. All in all, EA has taken a good approach with Pro-Am, and its Rising Star component.

Of course, a big reason that Pro-Am is so fun and appealing is because enhancements have been made to the gameplay in NBA Live 16.

Click here to read Andrew's full LIVE Pro-Am Hands-on impressions article.

QJB's Experience Playing Live Run & Summer Circuit:

FLIGHT's Experience Playing Pro-Am:

AzureEffect:

TicoisTocory's NBA Live 16 PRO-AM Impressions

Kspadetheprospect's Hands On Experience & Biggest Concern

Post-Game Podcast (Corey Andress & Marc Price) [iTunes - Libsyn]
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Community Impressions of LIVE Pro-Am started by cdj View original post
    Comments 13 Comments
      JBHuskers -
      As QJB said in his video, we decided to stay late in the studio because we were having so much fun with Live Run & Pro Am. We basically put in from 10AM to 11PM battling each other and progressing co-op through the Pro Am.
      Rudy -
      Sounds cool guys.
      jaymo76 -
      I was listening to the Press Row and everyone who played it said Live 16 plays a good game of BBall. That being said, nobody found a compelling reason to buy this game over 2k16 with regards to features and modes. I take it that those who played it here do not concur???
      cdj -
      jaymo - Is that the same episode that has the interview with the Live devs? I did not listen to the second half of the show so I don't know who said what. Based on that show's traditional line-up, the only one I know who plays 2K extensively and that I would trust their opinion is Rich (unsure about Kat) and I don't think any of them even really covered Live 15 last year, much less played it. (Could be wrong.)

As for Live over 2K, it depends what you are looking for and your experiences in the past. If you've run into server issues with 2K (unable to play, lost MyPlayer, etc.), people might be happy with Live even if it doesn't have some features. For 16, they are trying to be in the same ballpark or better in terms of (in no particular order): server/online stability, face scanning accuracy & ease of use, OTP, graphics, presentation, Ultimate Team, and gameplay. If those are what someone is looking for, then I think there are a lot of reasons to at least give Live a try (especially with an extensive free demo). There are also features where 2K is better/deeper and if that falls in your interest range, that game may be what you are looking for. Though, that falls back to server issues....if 2K can't get them straightened out, people may play Live that is lacking, because their hope/goal is that at least their game will work.
      JBHuskers -
      Yeah if the servers work half as good as 2K, that's a big reason right there if you're looking to play online 5v5.

2K's track record there doesn't leave me hopeful. CDJ and I had a hell of a time trying to find each other and connecting every time we'd try on 2K15.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      jaymo - Is that the same episode that has the interview with the Live devs? I did not listen to the second half of the show so I don't know who said what. Based on that show's traditional line-up, the only one I know who plays 2K extensively and that I would trust their opinion is Rich (unsure about Kat) and I don't think any of them even really covered Live 15 last year, much less played it. (Could be wrong.)

As for Live over 2K, it depends what you are looking for and your experiences in the past. If you've run into server issues with 2K (unable to play, lost MyPlayer, etc.), people might be happy with Live even if it doesn't have some features. For 16, they are trying to be in the same ballpark or better in terms of (in no particular order): server/online stability, face scanning accuracy & ease of use, OTP, graphics, presentation, Ultimate Team, and gameplay. If those are what someone is looking for, then I think there are a lot of reasons to at least give Live a try (especially with an extensive free demo). There are also features where 2K is better/deeper and if that falls in your interest range, that game may be what you are looking for. Though, that falls back to server issues....if 2K can't get them straightened out, people may play Live that is lacking, because their hope/goal is that at least their game will work.
      Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
      Yeah if the servers work half as good as 2K, that's a big reason right there if you're looking to play online 5v5.

2K's track record there doesn't leave me hopeful. CDJ and I had a hell of a time trying to find each other and connecting every time we'd try on 2K15.

Interesting to hear. Yes, the podcast I heard was the one with the Live dev speaking first. He said he couldn't get you guys to leave! I passed on Live last year after somewhat enjoying 14. Looks like the game has made huge strides. Good to hear.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      Interesting to hear. Yes, the podcast I heard was the one with the Live dev speaking first. He said he couldn't get you guys to leave! I passed on Live last year after somewhat enjoying 14. Looks like the game has made huge strides. Good to hear.
      I think if you moderately enjoyed or liked 14, you should really like 16.

LIVE Pro-Am isn't for everyone being it is online-only, but I think (expect) a lot of us here to play it hardcore, especially with the free version coming out mid-September.
      jaymo76 -
      Forgot to ask but have some of you played the full game including franchise mode or was this just for PRO-AM?
      cdj -
      Played the whole game, but majority of time was with LIVE Pro-Am and gameplay. Some people looked at Dynasty & Rising Star more than others, but we are still under NDA for everything outside graphics and LIVE Pro-Am.
      JBHuskers -
      I just know from playing it, a lot of time will be spent on Live Run and Pro-Am. It's addicting.
      Rudy -
      Demo is out September 15.
      Hank -
      I'm tempted to try a basketball game again this year.
      I really enjoyed NBA2K12 and 13. The game is so authentic it's like you're watching a telecast on TNT.
      2K is also superb at creating noticeable differences between player types with varying skill levels. You know right away if you have a quick forward as compared to a slow center.

However, saying that, the one thing that always drove me nuts in 12 & 13 was the heavy use of animations and how slow they could be.
      There were times I'd be on a breakaway with a quick player but as soon as he engaged in a slow layup animation, the CPU defender would speed burst down the court and catch up and knock the ball away.
      It drove me nuts.
      I don't mind attribute driven animations. I think they are an excellent way of adding realism and authenticity to each player. The problem with 2K is that the animations can feel clunky and very lethargic.

Because I know next to nothing about basketball I wonder if Live is more my style.
      The main issue I have with EA though is that in almost all of their sports games, the players don't have a lot of separation in skill. You can pretty much do anything with anyone.
      I'm hoping that's not the case with Live.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Demo is out September 15.
      I think it was a necessity this year. 2k has just gone above and beyond all expectations. EA needs to get people to better know their product and how it plays. EA will never compete with the depth 2k provides but they could rival gameplay.