• Madden NFL 16 Details Presentation Improvements

A new blog from EA SPORTS breaks down the improvements coming to presentation aspects in Madden NFL 16. Here are some of the highlights:

New on-the-field cameras and Wirecam help allow the user to get a closer look at the action in a realistic manner.

3D monoliths can provide a quick look at player or team stats during transitions such as players taking the field, as example.

Living Worlds continue to improve in the franchise with noticeably improved crowds (female models, head tracking, signs & towels, et al.) and a new Living World Steadicam operator cameraman who will interact with the on-field action, when appropriate.

The blog also shows an example of Dynamic Feedback with a player's season rushing touchdown total appear on-screen following a score and also goes into detail on audio improvements as well.

Continue on to see the full Madden NFL 16 presentation blog from EA SPORTS.

Written by Madden NFL 16 Presentation Director Brian Murray

Madden NFL 16 is the second year the franchise has leveraged my background as an NFL Films Cinematographer in presentation.

This year, the team wanted to continue to push the envelope and go beyond what normal broadcasts are able to do. While we respect broadcast and the way they produce NFL games, our team does not have to worry about restrictions like player and cameraman safety in the game.

ON THE FIELD CAMERAS

Like millions of other fans, watching games on TV is how I became a fan of the NFL. So, we decided to create cameras that are grounded in reality, but are also not possible in broadcast. Thus, “On the Field” cameras were born. These cameras are close in proximity to the players during their biggest moments, including touchdowns, sacks, and even as two players from opposing teams are jawing at each other.

WIRECAM

The team also pushed the envelope with a new Wirecam that sweeps and flies around just like a normal broadcast. However, Madden NFL 16’s Wirecam can track action and be right next to the QB right before the ball is snapped. With sweeping shots during a pass play or circling the QB before he gets sacked, the Wirecam has truly changed the way we view our game.

MONOLITHS

Another way Madden NFL 16 improved is in the way stats and ads are conveyed to players. The team went after Augmented UI, with the added ability to actually place these 3D structures in Madden. This way, we have our players moving around them to give a three-dimensional feel to the broadcast. We call these 3D elements our “Monoliths.”

DYNAMIC FEEDBACK

Another way we use Augmented UI is with instant stats and feedback around our players on the field. Madden players can now easily see which milestones they achieved by seeing their accomplishments in a 3D space.

This new dynamic feedback system is a big interface improvement that shows important stats without distracting players with popups.

LIVING WORLDS

Living Worlds was another major focal point for the presentation team this year. A lot of emphasis went towards improving the crowds. We added crowd props to the game, which include rally towels (in stadiums that feature them), fan signs and foam fingers.

The frequency of props showing up - and the volume at which they appear - is all based on reference from the last three NFL seasons. The crowd signs are team-specific and feature some witty quips for each team. The fans in the crowd will also head track the action on the field this year.

One of our favorite additions this year are the female fans that are now in attendance!

In Madden NFL 16, everybody in the crowd and on the sidelines wears official apparel from the NFL Shop, including jackets, long sleeves, winter hats, and other weather-appropriate gear. No more media wearing shorts and kneeling in snow this year! The sideline media are also wearing the appropriate colored media vests based on whether they work for broadcast television, NFL Films, or as a photographer.

Another big sideline feature is the Living World Steadicam operator cameraman. You will see him standing in various places around the end zone during the game, and coming out onto the field after a touchdown to get an ISO shot on the player. Players will see the cameraman moving around from broadcast cameras and sometimes see the post play action shot from his camera and vantage point.

Madden NFL 16 also includes new audio content in stadiums, with team-specific chants and fight songs popping up throughout the league.

Post-play behaviors continues to get a huge push with more signature celebrations and related content, as well as the addition of opposing team post-play interactions. There was a big focus on cleaning up behavior after the play, including pile avoidance, how players decelerate, and how/when they react with one another. The team also added new animations for when players are frustrated with whomever is on the other side of the line.

Pairing all this new content with the great work by the broadcast presentation team puts this awesome new action on screen for players to enjoy like never before.

AUDIO

All-new “Drive Starters” add more context and storytelling to our commentary this year. Drive Starters take place on each change of possession, and provide storytelling commentary and visuals to highlight key performances and game trends. With more than 200 unique story types and hundreds of commentary improvements, Drive Starters tell the story of a game like never before.

On the audio side, the team went to great lengths to ensure Madden NFL 16 is the best-sounding game in franchise history. The return of EA Trax allowed us to implement several new events to play in stadiums during games, and new IR Reverb tech gives each stadium a whole new feel.

Your game day experience has never sounded so authentic, and the team is excited for players to hear all the improvements.

All and all, the new presentation improvements on Madden NFL 16 are the most forward-thinking and fan-facing yet! We can’t wait for our players to experience the changes.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Go Beyond the Broadcast with Madden NFL 16 Presentation started by cdj View original post
    Comments 19 Comments
      jaymo76 -
      The only thing I really wanted for Madden 16 was a weekly wrap up show. Again, the game does not include it. Based on this description of "additions" I fear that CFM again will lack an connection to the league at large or the season itself.
      cdj -
      I'm hoping for a CFM ticker for the same reason you mentioned as well, jaymo. I think there is a ticker, but it only shows info from your game, not the league/CFM at large. Maybe next year.

I do like what they added though, but I think the next, obvious major step is making CFM more engaging. I'd take a recap show or ticker to help with that.
      Rudy -
      I think a weekly wrap up show and ticker would be nice. What I really want is a wide side scrolling tecmo camera angle!
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      I'm hoping for a CFM ticker for the same reason you mentioned as well, jaymo. I think there is a ticker, but it only shows info from your game, not the league/CFM at large. Maybe next year.

I do like what they added though, but I think the next, obvious major step is making CFM more engaging. I'd take a recap show or ticker to help with that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      I think a weekly wrap up show and ticker would be nice. What I really want is a wide side scrolling tecmo camera angle!
      The immersion and presentation in this game is just downright terrible. I am still shocked that the NCAA guys have not had more influence in developing the game re: immersion.
      Jayrah -
      While I get the call for wrap ups and tickers, the crowd and living world aspect has been worse in the Madden franchise than any other sports franchise to date. Without that being up to par the tickers and wrap up shows are the fluff.

I've said it before, but to me, that was the No. 1 improvement that had to make it and I am really excited to finally play with a great gameday atmosphere. This is all stuff that makes a really big difference to my experience but I can see it not meaning a hill-of-beans to others.

I find it really interesting that they have really incorporated aspects like penalty frequency and props popping up based on the past 3 seasons. That's a cool thing to me that is really underrated because it shows a lot of dedication to not just doing the right thing, but making it as real as possible as well. Really shocked a chain-gang didn't make it in though. And I think the next step is both adding different iconic fans/props (more than just the signs and towels) to individual stadiums AND adding away crowds. I really, REALLY hope the "12" flags for SEA made it in this year or there has been an injustice.

Jaymo you're talking about the immersion factor from season to season and you're absolutely right. I think that's the direction that these dynamic drive starters are taking though so I feel good about that. With player goals and chained events it feels like something much bigger is on the way in terms of "drive starters" to "game by game" to "week to week" to "season" to "career" type of thing. I think it's especially apparent in the broadcasts. I also think it would have gotten more attention had the crowds not been so unbelievably poor.

Now that the crowds are fixed to at least be dynamic and a bigger part of the atmosphere, additions to that part of the game become the fluff for future iterations. Madden 17 will really need work where you guys are calling for it, adding AT LEAST a wrap up show and definitely dynamic presentation like 2K basketball has had for a few years now.
      JBHuskers -
      I like how the dynamic feedback is used here, and the wire cams are definitely a nice addition.
      jaymo76 -
      Does it concern anyone else that there are no videos for these improvements, only pictures?
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      Does it concern anyone else that there are no videos for these improvements, only pictures?
      No not yet. I'd rather wait til it's in it's final build. We have a little bit from the videos already produced.
      Jayrah -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      Out of curiosity, what were you hoping to see?
      bdoughty -
      Odd that this is the first year that women will actually be in the stands. Something I have never really payed much attention too because Madden has always been really bad in regards to sidelines and fans. Which is the exact opposite of MLB The Show. I check out the crowds because they have so much detail in them. Old people, children and people talking on their cellphones, to name a few.
      skipwondah33 -
      I've never paid attention to or cared about the crowd at all and still won't lol

Unless it affects Gameplay some kind of way...any cutscene or pan to the crowd will get X'd quickly as always.
      souljahbill -
      Yeah, to me, the sidelines are far more important to get right than the fans. Only the fans in end zone seats can be really be seen during gameplay.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      Out of curiosity, what were you hoping to see?
      Will the players still sway and clap their hands at the same time? Do all of the fans move in the same motion? Will the cameramen all wear shorts in the snow? Do the sidelines look highly unpopulated? Do the fans and people on the sideline follow the action or are they stationary and do not watch the play unfold? Do the players have dual numbers and are they "real" players on my team or place holders? etc.

With regards to the Monolith will we get to see blacked out silhouettes again? Nothing destroys immersion like that! Will I hear Simms tell me about a player from 2015 when it's 2019? Will I get to see a real player QB highlight (eg Romo) wearing a Dallas jersey even though he has been traded to say Seattle three years ago? Will I watch one player celebrate by himself after scoring a game winning TD as all of his teammates walk away? Will the wrong commentary play at the wrong time? Will the stat banners disappear after 2 seconds (and have incorrect information from the last week)? Will Nantz tell me "this is a game we will always remember" ... even though it was a 39-14 final?

Also, it is one thing to show great artistic zoom pics but what do they actually look like during gameplay and post play? Why create unrealistic camera options when gamers have been begging for realistic camera angles? After years and years of frustration I am just not willing to give Tiburon a pass anymore. The game looks to have made some strategic improvements this year but to be frank the gains this year seem incredibly minimal as compared to other major sports franchises.

In the last five Madden's I have in all honestly probably played over 500 games (avg 5 seasons in franchise/CFM). The game is downright boring and the immersion stinks. Will this help? Probably but how much?... I suspect very little. People will be impressed... at first... but I think the polish will fade quickly once the awful commentary and repetition of actions become apparent. The biggest thing though is that Tiburon still did not address how boring and isolating CFM is. Until that is done I just don't think presentation will improve.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
      Odd that this is the first year that women will actually be in the stands. Something I have never really payed much attention too because Madden has always been really bad in regards to sidelines and fans. Which is the exact opposite of MLB The Show. I check out the crowds because they have so much detail in them. Old people, children and people talking on their cellphones, to name a few.
      It's so true. I am always watching for the guy who goes up and down the rows selling popcorn. lol.
      steelerfan -
      Jaymo, the blog says no more camera men wearing shorts in the snow and that the fans will follow the action.

Just fyi.
      Jayrah -
      All good questions Jaymo. Except the shorts and fans following like Steeler said, along with the sidelines (though they didn't mention it in the blog) clearly being upgraded. Wouldn't call it "beefed up" but definitely there is an upgrade to the sideline personnel from the clips I've seen. Are they as good as the on field characters? No, but they respond accordingly for the most part and seem to have some tracking ability while the play is happening for the first time ever. Anyways that's still only 3 things from your good list.

Would add chain gang to the "unpopulated sideline" and also would like to see much more organic team interaction. Would love something being implemented that allowed the tackle engine to also incorporate celebrations somehow. This would be so much better.
      Rudy -
      I hope the kill animation as soon as they touch the goalline and teammates ignoring tds is not a problem.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      I hope the kill animation as soon as they touch the goalline and teammates ignoring tds is not a problem.
      Yup that is annoying. There needs to be a swarming of the player who scores the TD.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
      All good questions Jaymo. Except the shorts and fans following like Steeler said, along with the sidelines (though they didn't mention it in the blog) clearly being upgraded. Wouldn't call it "beefed up" but definitely there is an upgrade to the sideline personnel from the clips I've seen. Are they as good as the on field characters? No, but they respond accordingly for the most part and seem to have some tracking ability while the play is happening for the first time ever. Anyways that's still only 3 things from your good list.

Would add chain gang to the "unpopulated sideline" and also would like to see much more organic team interaction. Would love something being implemented that allowed the tackle engine to also incorporate celebrations somehow. This would be so much better.
      Count me in as a person who misses the Chain Gang. It's an important piece of football and should be in the game IMO.