• Joe Montana Football Coming to Mobile in 2016

Following months of speculation and rumors, CEO of Superstar Games Damon Grow revealed in an interview with Unreal Engine's Dana Cowley that Joe Montana Football will be a mobile game, coming first to iOS in Q1 or Q2 of 2016.

The news came as a disappointment to some following alleged 'confirmation via sources' - both public and anonymously - that the game might be a AAA console title that would be a direct competitor to EA SPORTS' Madden NFL franchise. Grow stated that following the iOS release, the game will be developed for Android, eventually PC and if successful, then perhaps major consoles.

The Unreal interview provided a brief look at the game, which will be using Unreal's Metal Rendering API. An interview with 1080Players' Eric Webster provided the best insight into the game thus far, though the majority of details will not be released until a later time.

Grow revealed to Webster that the game has been in development for over a year. While he was unable to share many details, he did disclose some of the major goals and some general features for the game.

He repeatedly stressed customization and 'freedom' as being assets the Joe Montana Football team would focus on as they develop the game. Grow seemed very excited and willing to answer a question on whether or not the title would feature Create-a-Stadium, doing everything except confirming it.

The game will feature a story mode similar to that of NBA 2K's MyCareer mode that will allow the user to "build a football lifestyle," later adding it would have "a twist on it."

Grow stated that the independent studio has a "long-term view of bringing competition back" and creating the "most authentic experience we can." He told Webster that he "cannot announce a publisher, but that will become apparent." He did state that they have not talked to Sony.

As sign-ups for pre-alpha information are underway at JoeMontanaFootball.com, having the most referrals will not guarantee early access to playing the game. Instead, the team will aim to select the best people possible to provide feedback for the game and that they will look to engage the 'sim' community.

When asked about possibly competing against Madden, Grow was very complimentary of EA Tiburon and the franchise.

It was clear in several videos with YouTube commentator Ryan Moody that Grow was uncomfortable - almost apologetic? - that he had to dash the hopes of those pining for an option to Madden NFL in stating the game would be a mobile title only (at least in the short term).

"Rumors on the internet are a crazy thing," Grow said. He added that the dev team did not expect the level of response that they received as word of a potential game spread. Later he told Webster that "patience [is] needed" and that they are "committed to the path....We'll get there."

The interview concluded with Grow telling Webster that he, the dev team, and Joe Montana are thankful for the fans and that they are making the game for them.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Joe Montana Football 16 (Rumored) started by cdj View original post
    Comments 251 Comments
      jaymo76 -
      Very interesting. I will be following this closely to see what the story is all about. It would be great to see the arrival of another game. However, if anything I expect this to be a facebook/ipad type game...???
      steelerfan -
      If it is as bad as the original then and

That was the worst American Football game I ever played.
      GatorfanStovy -
      Hopefully it actually happens. Will it be pro or college?
      SmoothPancakes -
      I'll be watching, but absolutely NO expectations whatsoever. And definitely NOT a day one buy regardless. I'd want a plethora of reviews before I'd even consider it.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk because I'm a lazy ass
      Rudy -
      No expectations either. He did have the first game with live play by play.
      souljahbill -
      The original game had cheap AI. I hated that game. The second one, Sports Talk Football, was much better.
      cdj -
      I wouldn't use this to place any bets, but 2K employee (marketing, I think) Josh Goldberg RT'd Montana's tweet this morning. Looking through his timeline, he only seems to tweet game-related items for those made by 2K.

Not saying I think this is the return of 2K football, but did want to point that out.
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
      I wouldn't use this to place any bets, but 2K employee (marketing, I think) Josh Goldberg RT'd Montana's tweet this morning. Looking through his timeline, he only seems to tweet game-related items for those made by 2K.

Not saying I think this is the return of 2K football, but did want to point that out.
      The chaos of a new 2K game would create would be delicious to watch on message boards.
      jaymo76 -
      Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post

Didn't one of the 2k guys say on twitter recently that 2K wasn't making a football game because EA still holds the exclusive license? Any game would therefore be generic.
      steelerfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
      The chaos of a new 2K game would create would be delicious to watch on message boards.
      I would welcome it. If it was decent, it's good for everyone. If it's awful, it might just neuter the 2K-gasm. Either way, I'm happy.
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
      I would welcome it. If it was decent, it's good for everyone. If it's awful, it might just neuter the 2K-gasm. Either way, I'm happy.
      We have similar wishes.
      GatorfanStovy -
      I've considered buying a dream cast to play 2k1 again but hell if I can find one locally. Miss them days. Would of been fun.
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
      Didn't one of the 2k guys say on twitter recently that 2K wasn't making a football game because EA still holds the exclusive license? Any game would therefore be generic.
      I think so.

Right now I am guessing this is for an app or perhaps another MLBAM title (think RBI Baseball). If it is a full-fledged console title, I expect it would utilize legends ala APF 2K8.
      Rudy -
      If this was a serious game for a console they would have shown it at E3 IMO.
      souljahbill -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      Maybe it's in the early stages?
      cdj -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
      I see where you are coming from, but IMO the timing of this tease implies it could be something halfway legit. It's way too early to show off a 2015 sports title (what the '16 implies) and if anything, it gets people thinking of a potential competitor during the Madden pre-release season. (Though, until I see/find something concrete, I'm going with this being something along the lines of a mobile game which as you stated, would not be shown at E3.)

FWIW, I cannot find a trademark for 'Joe Montana Football,' but in February of this year he did trademark his name and signature. Either he landed a big deal then (was already with Skechers) or decided to be more aggressive in marketing efforts (two ex-wives, currently with #3). It'll be interesting to see if he posts any future teases and if other former players do the same.
      jaymo76 -
      Well the Candlestick classic event was today right? So if there are no more tweets after this, then it may just have been publicity: aka you've waited to see me pull on the old #16 and play again and so I'm back for today. I just don't see any legit companies stepping up to make a full console game. I would love it if 2k were behind a move like this but after 10 years of hoping 2k would go all in with football... I just don't ever see it happening.
      jaymo76 -
      The more I think about it, the less likely a mobile game makes sense to me. For a generic mobile game, who would care about name recognition? You don't see Wayne Gretzky NHL ipad game or Kareem Abdul Jabar bball for android devices. Generally these games are made to be low cost so why worry about landing a big name?
      gschwendt -
      Via OS, it's likely a mobile game:
      https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...d-UE4-Engineer
      GatorfanStovy -
      Damn a mobile game, why?