PDA

View Full Version : 2017 NFL Offseason Talk

SmoothPancakes
03-27-2017, 01:19 PM
And it is official, the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas after owners vote 31-1 to approve the move. The Dolphins were the only team to vote against the move.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cdj
03-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Would have to think the next two years in Oakland could be a disaster. Will fans show for a franchise they know is bailing, even if they are a division contender? Will they leave the stadium standing?

steelerfan
03-27-2017, 05:13 PM
Would have to think the next two years in Oakland could be a disaster. Will fans show for a franchise they know is bailing, even if they are a division contender? Will they leave the stadium standing?
As a fan of the team, how do you feel about this move?

Personally, I don't like it.

cdj
03-27-2017, 06:37 PM

I *should* like the move given I have relatives in LV and this makes it easier to attend games, but I'm not a fan of all these teams moving - and especially not when it's because they couldn't gouge the taxpayers/community for a new stadium.

Rudy
03-28-2017, 09:05 AM
NFL is so greedy. I'm just waiting for larger ad patches on jerseys.

I'm not very happy about Miami giving Kiko Alonso $7M a year. He's hurt a lot and really isn't that good. I liked signing Timmons from Pit but he's on the wrong side of 30. Gave him $6M a year. That's 13M a year I would have much rather used to sign Hightower given he got $9M from the Pats. Miami has rewarded a lot of their own guys this offseason and I really hope they play better next year and not worse. Andre Branch contract was too much imo.

steelerfan
03-28-2017, 01:41 PM
NFL is so greedy. I'm just waiting for larger ad patches on jerseys.

I'm not very happy about Miami giving Kiko Alonso $7M a year. He's hurt a lot and really isn't that good. I liked signing Timmons from Pit but he's on the wrong side of 30. Gave him $6M a year. That's 13M a year I would have much rather used to sign Hightower given he got $9M from the Pats. Miami has rewarded a lot of their own guys this offseason and I really hope they play better next year and not worse. Andre Branch contract was too much imo.
Timmons is a very good player. I'm sorry you see him go. You're right though. Too much money for him. Hopefully he doesn't vomit too much more in Miami. :D

Rudy
03-28-2017, 01:50 PM
We were bad against the run last year. Hopefully Timmons has at least one more good year.

steelerfan
03-28-2017, 05:18 PM
We were bad against the run last year. Hopefully Timmons has at least one more good year.
I'm sure he has a couple good ones in him still.

jaymo76
03-28-2017, 11:00 PM

Absolutely despise it! I just cannot believe Oakland will be put through this again. Seeing SD gone and now Oakland... honestly I don't even know if I want to stay a Raider fan.

SmoothPancakes
03-29-2017, 10:57 AM
Absolutely despise it! I just cannot believe Oakland will be put through this again. Seeing SD gone and now Oakland... honestly I don't even know if I want to stay a Raider fan.

I hate it as a Broncos fan, now I can't use the cannon fodder cities of Oakland and San Diego to take shots and make cracks at the Chargers and Raiders.

That and looking at the standings and seeing Denver, Kansas City, Las Vegas and Los Angeles, instead of Denver, Kansas City, Oakland and San Diego. It just doesn't even sound right!

Rudy
03-30-2017, 06:30 AM
Why did the Steelers give the exclusive franchise tag to Bell? It cost them more money. I would think the basic tag would be fine and if a team signed him to a big contract they could match or get two first rounders. RBs just don't have the shelf life or get that much money anymore.

steelerfan
03-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Why did the Steelers give the exclusive franchise tag to Bell? It cost them more money. I would think the basic tag would be fine and if a team signed him to a big contract they could match or get two first rounders. RBs just don't have the shelf life or get that much money anymore.
Simple. They don't want to lose him. There are a few teams out there with ridiculous amounts of cap space that could give him a contract that Pittsburgh could not match. As it is, they have the exclusive right to work out a long - term deal with Bell (which I'm sure they will).

JBHuskers
03-30-2017, 04:47 PM
So looking forward to this season with Mike Glennon at QB....

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/halofanon/images/e/e5/Sarcasm.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120101004807

Rudy
03-31-2017, 08:22 PM
The Dolphins cut third overall pick Dion Jordan. Won't be the last time we see a bust and that year was a bad draft year full of them. But it feels like such a waste. He had so much potential and athletic ability. He lacked awareness but three drug suspensions later his head isn't screwed on right. Plus he got lazy. On his last chance he came back heavy and needing knee surgery somehow. He should be a do everything 3-4 OLB but his drug problems, lack of desire and work ethic doomed him. He still thinks of himself as a DE but he's better if he's lighter imo and running downfield covering TEs. He was not good at rushing the passer in his short career. Had no answer if first move was blocked.

cdj
04-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Romo moves to broadcasting and goes immediately to the top team:

Rudy
04-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Nobody is an expert at announcing in their first year at it. To go from no experience to #1 team is a huge leap. I would have thought a 3rd guy in the booth might have helped the transition. Romo had only played 5 games since 2014 and had broken something in 3 of the last 6 games he played. At 37 he was probably too brittle to play anymore. I think he's one of the all-time underrated QBs in the league. I think most of the hate thrown his way was simply because he was a Cowboy.

cdj
04-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Amazon has acquired the rights to Thursday Night Football, taking it away from Twitter.

Rudy
04-04-2017, 09:00 PM
That's kind of cool. I don't understand how much money they can make when it's already on tv. Cord cutters? But if it's broadcast in 4K I would definitely stream it through my Prime if I can instead of through satellite.

steelerfan
04-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Dan Rooney, who took his father's franchise from the bumbling joke they were from the 30s through the 60s to one of the league's most successful over the last 5 decades, has passed away at 84.

It's a sad day for Steelers fans everywhere.

Rudy
04-13-2017, 07:02 PM
He was good for all of football. RIP Mr. Rooney.

bdoughty
04-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Very sad day.

bdoughty
04-21-2017, 09:55 AM
2017 Schedule released (http://www.espn.com/nfl/schedule).

Cleveland Browns are so bad the NFL has stripped them and Jacksonville of any Prime time games, outside of games played in a foreign country, at a time when nobody outside of Browns and Jags fans would watch.

For the first time in five years, neither the Cleveland Browns nor the Jacksonville Jaguars will play in prime time. (They both have "national" games in the 9:30 a.m. ET slot from London.) Instead, the league packed its prime-time schedule with its best draws.

The Browns are scheduled to kick off all but one of their games at 1 p.m. ET or earlier.

http://i.imgur.com/3GAO6kG.jpg

Rudy
04-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Miami ends the season with 2 of the final 3 games against Buffalo. I can't remember playing a division foe hat closely. Seems odd.

I hope Miami drafts Lamp OG in round one if there and spends rest of draft on defence.

SmoothPancakes
04-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Talk about kicking the Browns and Jaguars in the balls when they're down. :D

cdj
04-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Adrian Peterson to the Saints? That's the latest rumor/discussion.

Rudy
04-25-2017, 03:39 AM
If an elite pass rusher falls to Miami I think that is the pick. If not I hope we take Lamp at G if he's there. Big hole at that spot.

This first round should be very interesting since it's the most unpredictable in a long time. The top 10 is all over the place and you could have a bunch of QBs taken anywhere.

Rudy
04-27-2017, 07:29 PM
SF needs a QB but let the Bears swap and take Trubinsky. Curious to see if SF takes one later or just wants to trade down, get picks and plug lots of holes. Jags, Jets, Browns all need QBs. Bears did pay a steep price.

Rudy
04-27-2017, 07:34 PM
Trubinsky sort of reminds me of Tannehill. A bit raw, good athlete, good if not elite tools. I generally root for all young QBs. The NFL is not fun to watch if the QB sucks.

Rudy
04-27-2017, 08:03 PM
People are killing the Bears for the price to move up but I think the WR picks were reaches more than anything else so far. Not a huge talent gap in the first 20 or so picks though.

Rudy
04-28-2017, 05:05 AM
I like Miamis pick. I think Watt to Pitt is a perfect spot. Big moves were for QBs. I think Browns had some nice picks but they need a QB so badly.

And Bears beating SF in December cost them three extra picks lol.

bdoughty
04-28-2017, 05:10 AM
Patrick Mahomes as the #2 QB taken in the draft, 10th overall? Tech QB's have never panned out in the NFL. Especially when most of those yards are against Big 12 defenses, or lack thereof. Andy Reid does wonders grooming QB's, good luck with this one. You also have to put up with a dad who has been arrested at a game and is footballs version of LaVar Ball.

Steelers taking T.J. Watt over Reuben Foster. Tough choice and looks like potential beat pedigree due to that pedigree having off the field problems. Helps the pass rush, which was much needed but can he do more than simply rush the passer? If Foster can clean up his act the 49ers are the biggest winners of the first round.

Rudy
04-28-2017, 07:18 AM
SF did well. Mahomes has a cannon and the NFL over values that. Oh well.

Foster got kicked out of the combine and had a diluted sample. Not a Steeler.

steelerfan
04-28-2017, 01:05 PM
If Watt can get to the quarterback, he'll be an awesome duo with Dupree in the years to come. I'd really like to see the Steelers grab some more DB help tonight.

SmoothPancakes
04-28-2017, 06:32 PM
I guess only Brick Tamland loves lamp.

steelerfan
04-28-2017, 07:35 PM
Of course the Bungles took Mixon. Can never have enough thugs. 😒

bdoughty
04-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Of course the Bungles took Mixon. Can never have enough thugs. 

They do have three Notre Dame players on the roster. :blush:

SmoothPancakes
04-28-2017, 10:41 PM
https://youtu.be/3Xy6apTUI50

That my friends, is how you troll Eagles fans.

Rudy
04-29-2017, 06:03 AM
Dolphins went defence on their first three picks. That was needed. I'd love to get the Iowa S/CB King but we don't pick again until late in the 5th. We have three late 5s but still need a FS, G/C and a DT to help fill spots. But FS and G are the most important.

bdoughty
04-29-2017, 06:10 AM
That was absolutely brutal. I also laughed at the five Superbowl titles for a different reason. It is almost six but still not six. ;)

bdoughty
04-29-2017, 06:17 AM
Dolphins went defence on their first three picks.

http://i.imgur.com/SfbTaZG.jpg

Rudy
04-29-2017, 08:22 AM
I loved Drew Pearson last night. Suck it Eagles fans!

Rudy
04-29-2017, 06:58 PM
Happy with Miamis draft. We didn't get a FS but added depth and competition to all our major needs.

28 of 95 juniors went undrafted. These kids are stupid or getting terrible advice. If you aren't picked in the first 3 rounds just stay in school. Going undrafted means your career is likely over before it started.

jaymo76
08-04-2017, 02:48 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/ryan-tannehill-might-be-done-for-the-season-after-leaving-training-camp-with-an-ugly-knee-injury/ar-AApqX6C?ocid=ientp

Thoughts Rudy?

Kap and Cutler as other options??? Yikes!

Rudy
08-04-2017, 07:58 PM
I personally think Tannehill is under rated. He may not be Top 10 but outside the elite guys I find the next ten guys are pretty interchangeable. His loss will hurt and I don't see any replacement taking this team (which still has OL and defensive weaknesses) to the playoffs.

I'm a little bitter over the decision to not have surgery last December. They weren't sure what to do and waited over a month and then decided to have no surgery after two ligaments were slightly torn. They said rest and rehab was the same as surgery and a quicker recovery. All I know is he was hurt just running out of bounds in the first week of camp. There is a video and his knee buckled without contact. Clearly the knee is not stable and needs surgery. His season is over.

I'd rather have Kaep than Cutler. Cutler might know the system but he's old and washed up imo. Kaep is a decent QB that almost won a super bowl although he needs a strong supporting cast. Miamis OL still isn't good enough imo although their skill players are solid. The owner Ross supported the players right to kneel last year but Kaep also wore a Castro shirt and faced a lot of hate from the Cuban community in Miami.

But if I had to choose an option it would be to save money and just roll with the current backup Matt Moore. He will get exposed after a few games but this team isnt a super bowl team. A backup QB means whoever it is they are probably missing the playoffs. So why give someone an extra $5M plus when it really won't help much.

Rudy
08-07-2017, 05:34 AM
Miami has over $30M in cap allocated to QB now after signing Cutler who apparently had labrum surgery in December. Jay has always had a great arm and been a perennial tease. Can be great some games and then fall apart forcing the ball and not setting his feet when he gets in trouble.

jaymo76
08-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Miami has over $30M in cap allocated to QB now after signing Cutler who apparently had labrum surgery in December. Jay has always had a great arm and been a perennial tease. Can be great some games and then fall apart forcing the ball and not setting his feet when he gets in trouble.

I cannot stand Cutler. Going back to his attitude and shenanigans in Denver. The guy has a cannon that's for sure but I just cannot support him.

jaymo76
08-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Not that it impacts anyone here (other than myself and maybe Rudy), the NFL has sold the worldwide rights (outside of USA and Europe) for NFL Sunday Ticket to an online streaming company. So if I want Sunday Ticket I can no longer go through my cable company AND would need to watch all the games on my computer OR XBOX1.

This might be the final straw for me to cancel my cable all together...

Rudy
08-10-2017, 04:01 PM
I think it's $20 a month too.

jaymo76
08-10-2017, 04:28 PM

Yup. Apparently the goal is to bring it to PS4 but that's not yet a reality?

jaymo76
08-11-2017, 05:40 PM

https://www.dazn.com/en-CA

Rudy, I subscribed for the year. The first month is free to cancel as they bill you at the end of the month. Has a lot of French/Spanish SOCCER and some good content. I know BEin Sports has now partnered with DAZN so it would be great to get some college football offerings too.

steelerfan
09-06-2017, 06:17 PM
This really happens right now. 🤣🤣🤣https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170906/88edb2286ce4ea34b219d93f274bc1e2.jpg