PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Football Grand Final

steelerfan
09-25-2010, 03:06 AM
So, I'm flipping the channels late at night and find the AFL Grand Final read: Super Bowl) on ESPN 2.

I'm not a fan or a follower, but I've watched enough over the years to pick up the basics. So, since it was early in the 4th quarter, I figured I'd give it a look. Wow.

The game is exciting (well, as exciting as it can be to me) and ends in a 68-68 tie. I start wondering what the overtime is like and how often this has happened (twice, apparently, in the 70s and 40s). As the final seconds are ticking away, I'm made to realize that there is NO overtime. The game is a draw and will be replayed in a week. Unbelievable. 100,000 people were there and the place was silent. The players were speaking their minds about the need for extra time. Crazy! Now I want to watch it next week, lol. I'll most likely forget though.

I wonder if Donvan McNabb was watching.:D

SmoothPancakes
09-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Damn my having a morning radio show on Saturday mornings! I would have been all over this on TV if I hadn't already been driving into work. :mad:

steelerfan
09-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Damn my having a morning radio show on Saturday mornings! I would have been all over this on TV if I hadn't already been driving into work. :mad:

D-V-R

It's not like you'll run the risk of hearing the outcome accidentally. :D

I just can't imagine if the Super Bowl ended in a tie and it was the norm to just repeat Super Bowl Sunday a week later. That's insane!

JeffHCross
09-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Well, something that hasn't happened in decades could never be called "the norm" :D

SmoothPancakes
10-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Round 2 currently under way. 15 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, Collingwood with a 26-4 lead over St. Kilda.

Edit - St. Kilda starting to make it a game. 3 straight behinds, and just now got a goal on a free kick to close the gap to 26-13 with 10 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

SmoothPancakes
10-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Ok, scratch that. St. Kilda was back in it. Now two behinds and two goals (one due to some bad defensive moves by St. Kilda) and it's back to an ass kicking.

Collingwood - 6.5 (41)
St. Kilda - 1.7 (13)

4 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

SmoothPancakes
10-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Halftime. A very, very, VERY rough start for the Saints. St. Kilda has only been able to score one goal. A bunch of kicks that never curved back and only managed a behind for St. Kilda.

Current score:

Collingwood - 6.5 (41)
St. Kilda - 1.8 (14)

SmoothPancakes
10-02-2010, 01:08 AM
Looks like it's Collingwood's title. 14:32 left in the 3rd quarter, Collingwood has three goals and two behinds to St. Kilda's one behind. Now 61-15

Collingwood - 9.7 (61)
St. Kilda - 1.9 (15)

And sadly, no more Aussie football for the next 40 minutes as it is time to drive to work. Thank god for ESPN3 when I do get to work. :)

JeffHCross
10-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Aussie rules football is such a strange, foreign combination of soccer, basketball and football.

In fact, in middle school we played a game we called "soccer basketball" in the P.E. gym. In a lot of ways, it was Aussie football, lol.

I do feel sympathy for the guy named "Sidebottom" though.

steelerfan
10-02-2010, 09:26 AM
As I knew would be the case, I completely forgot about this. Damn it.

SmoothPancakes
10-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I actually had completely forgotten about it as well. I was sitting here at 1am after just getting home from work, and waiting for the hour or two before going to work again, flipping through the channels and happened to come across it.