PDA

View Full Version : LE dominates more than RE

Rudy
09-22-2010, 05:34 AM
I've played almost 3 full dynasty seasons and every year my RE is better than my LE but my LE always gets more sacks. I think part of it is the LG and/or RB tries to help out more against the RE. The LT might be a better pass protector although I don't know if the cpu is ordering it's depth chart that way. I just know that my LE ends up with significantly more sacks despite being a worse player. Has anyone else seen this?

psusnoop
09-22-2010, 09:28 AM
I have not, but I'll admit that most of my sacks are coming from my LB'rs.

I will look though more closely at which DE is getting more now that I have read this post. I'll let the thread know if I find anything.

** I'm in season 2 of my offline dynasty, but I'm in 4 Online Dynasties too. Now I'm really interested to see if there is a difference.

Roy38
09-22-2010, 01:20 PM
I've played almost 3 full dynasty seasons and every year my RE is better than my LE but my LE always gets more sacks. I think part of it is the LG and/or RB tries to help out more against the RE. The LT might be a better pass protector although I don't know if the cpu is ordering it's depth chart that way. I just know that my LE ends up with significantly more sacks despite being a worse player. Has anyone else seen this?

I definitely think this is true. Check out the comments I made in Oneback's Under Front Defense:
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?957-Oneback-s-Under-Front-Defense

I'm not sure why this occurs, but I feel the shortest point to the QB is from the LE.

morsdraconis
09-22-2010, 01:44 PM
I definitely think this is true. Check out the comments I made in Oneback's Under Front Defense:
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?957-Oneback-s-Under-Front-Defense

I'm not sure why this occurs, but I feel the shortest point to the QB is from the LE.

Well, in the terms of playing against another player, the LE is always more likely to get a sack because human players have a tendency to roll to the right for some odd reason (which follows the point that most passers are right handed and therefore rolling to the right still allows a pass option while moving).

I have noticed that against the CPU it seems that the LE has the higher chance to get off the block and get pressure on the CPU when user controlled compared to the RE (which seems to not get as much of a bee line straight at the QB from the block and therefore gets blocked again).

It seems, for whatever reason, the CPU likes to also roll to the right when it feels pressure, no matter which direction the pressure is coming from.

All of the above seems to lead to the theory that the LE performs better than the RE, no matter the skill level of the two players.

Solidice
09-22-2010, 02:14 PM
my LE usually leads my team with sacks every season, in every dynasty. well, except one of my ODs where my OLB is leading my team with 9(in 5 games).

for CPU defense, i usually give up more sacks to their RE.

Rudy
09-22-2010, 07:52 PM
So I'm not crazy then!

JeffHCross
09-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Sanity check ... which one is the LE and which one is the RE? Is it left and right while we're looking at the defense, or left and right as if you're behind the defense?

morsdraconis
09-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Sanity check ... which one is the LE and which one is the RE? Is it left and right while we're looking at the defense, or left and right as if you're behind the defense?

Left and right as you're behind the defense so the LE is on the right side of the screen (behind the offense) and the RE is on the left side of the screen.

JeffHCross
09-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Ah, well. My LE has performed considerably better than my RE, though the two are close in OVR. I think it's a combination of the pass protection ability of the LT, plus the tendency to have "strong" formations with the strength on the right ... I feel like I often get a better pass rush if I'm lined up across from a TE rather than straight up on a T.

Oneback
09-23-2010, 06:59 AM
In my OD game last night each of the 6 sacks I had came from the right side. My RDE had 2, DT (right side) had 3 and my stong outside linebacker who happend to be lined up on the right side for this play got one, this was against Illinois.

One thing I did notice after going back through and looking at each sack after the game is that each time the QB felt pressure he would move away from this side, I'd imagine this could be part of the problem as well as the quarterback is moving away from pressure into the waiting arms of your LDE when the right side just isn't quite good/fast enough to get to him.

morsdraconis
09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
One thing I did notice after going back through and looking at each sack after the game is that each time the QB felt pressure he would move away from this side, I'd imagine this could be part of the problem as well as the quarterback is moving away from pressure into the waiting arms of your LDE when the right side just isn't quite good/fast enough to get to him.

That's definitely what I think it is. The problem I'm seeing (and remembering seeing) is that the QB will move to the right of the pocket no matter where the pressure is coming from if they're a right handed QB (which 95% of them are), thus, in my opinion, leading to the higher statistics for the LE.

Oneback
09-23-2010, 11:49 AM
That being said if you have a a RDE with 83 speed and 95 ACC like I do once he gets around the LT the QB is getting sacked.

JBHuskers
09-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I usually control the LE, so I'm not really seeing it as much, as the only time I control a RE is when they're an impact player.

JeffHCross
09-23-2010, 10:14 PM
One weird thing for me the last three games ... I've been playing my backups significantly, trying to reduce the risk of injury to my starters (in other words, The Colts Plan) ... in each game, my backups on the d-line have seemed to outperform my starters. It's probably just that I notice it more with my backups, but I had one backup DT come in and absolutely dominate.

The other possibility is that my backups play more as we get deeper into the game, and the CPU seems to run more deep patterns (and therefore take longer to throw the ball) as we get later in the game. I had one play tonight where my DT blew up the LG, got stuck behind a blitzing linebacker who got blocked by the HB, then got blocked by the HB himself, shed the block, and still made the sack. Total coverage sack, but I'd never see that early in the game.

JBHuskers
09-23-2010, 10:29 PM
One weird thing for me the last three games ... I've been playing my backups significantly, trying to reduce the risk of injury to my starters (in other words, The Colts Plan) ... in each game, my backups on the d-line have seemed to outperform my starters. It's probably just that I notice it more with my backups, but I had one backup DT come in and absolutely dominate.

The other possibility is that my backups play more as we get deeper into the game, and the CPU seems to run more deep patterns (and therefore take longer to throw the ball) as we get later in the game. I had one play tonight where my DT blew up the LG, got stuck behind a blitzing linebacker who got blocked by the HB, then got blocked by the HB himself, shed the block, and still made the sack. Total coverage sack, but I'd never see that early in the game.

Are you usually up pretty good and got all of the momentum at that point?

JeffHCross
09-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Are you usually up pretty good and got all of the momentum at that point?Usually, yeah.

It's something I can certainly explain ... play call, momentum, etc. But it's just something strange I've noticed lately. Though I've been swapping my backups in at the very beginning of the game and they're still doing impressive against the CPU.

Oh well.

griffin2608
09-29-2010, 01:35 PM
This has always been in every ea football game that I can remember playing. Try this play every d snap with the LE and the next game play every snap with the RE and you will see the difference. The LE (in my experience) always has more success.