PDA

View Full Version : Craziness Ensues After MSU-ND OT Game

cdj
09-19-2010, 12:12 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AiMq5Gquz2bCPQGq4SGPl3k5nYcB?slug=txmich iganstdantonio

EAST LANSING, Mich.(AP)—A person with knowledge of the situation says Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio had a heart attack after his team’s overtime victory against Notre Dame.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Sunday because the school planned to make an announcement at a news conference later in the day.

The person said that Dantonio had a stent put in a blocked artery near his heart after the victory over Notre Dame on Saturday night. The Spartans used an audacious fake field to win 34-31.

Dantonio will be out indefinitely and offensive coordinator Don Treadwill will coach in his absence.

AP Sports Writer Larry Lage reported from Detroit.

Should play have counted?

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaaf_experts__40/ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-952355352-1284878537.jpg?ymJT0yDDhujRs94B

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Spartans-clutch-call-of-the-year-was-so-crazy?urn=ncaaf-270697

JeffHCross
09-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I watched the replay pretty closely this morning. ESPN made a huge deal about their graphical play clock going to 00, but it's clear that the actual play clocks in the stadium weren't exactly timed with ESPN's graphic.

As for whether or not they got the play off in time ... even at extremely slow motion, the difference between when the stadium play clocks go 00 and the ball is snapped was bang-bang. I can certainly see how the referees in the stadium missed it.

Good Luck and Get Well Soon to Dantonio.

There's certainly going to be some "the refs won the game for them" controversy about this game. Something that a lot of the highlight shows didn't talk about is that Michigan State's tying touchdown had a WR clearly go out of bounds, did not appear to be forced out, and was the first to touch the ball (and scored the TD). That means potentially two of Sparty's TDs shouldn't have counted.

AustinWolv
09-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Was it legal for the blocker inside of the receiver to help run over the two defenders jamming that blocker and the receiver?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjWxtNxcDAw&NR=1

Clock slowed down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRup9KsAjHs

JeffHCross
09-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Was it legal for the blocker inside of the receiver to help run over the two defenders jamming that blocker and the receiver?From my eyes, he didn't. The first defender got tripped up, fell down and grabbed the receiver (they were two receivers, neither was a blocker) on his way down. That brought the receiver down, and somehow the other defender got tripped up too. I haven't been able to determine how the second defender came down.

The beauty of the Michigan State call is that the slotback slides inside the tight end after the snap. I think both defenders started to cover the slotback, and got messed up by the cross. I think that's why the second defender was close enough to the slotback to fall down.

Rudy
09-19-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't think that block was illegal. At first I did but upon further review I don't. I agree with Jeff that the MSU guy (an eligible receiver) got tripped up by the first guy and then fell down and rolled over the second by accident. And as for the first block, he was an eligible receiver going downfield and within the 5 yard bump zone. You are allowed contact there and the ball wasn't in the air when he hit the first guy. You could argue it was a big jam attempt that the offensive player won.

JeffHCross
09-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Yep, my thoughts exactly Rudy. It looked to me like both receivers were trying to bull rush through ... and hell, when you're a TE/FB, I don't blame you at all for that.

AustinWolv
09-19-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't think that block was illegal. At first I did but upon further review I don't. I agree with Jeff that the MSU guy (an eligible receiver) got tripped up by the first guy and then fell down and rolled over the second by accident.
Yep, watched it some more and while it looks like the inside receiver is blocking out/engaging the outside defender, it looks like the TE basically shed that defender into the inside receiver and those 3 players got all tangled up.

Those two defenders getting steamrolled was the play, as ND didn't get totally juked on the play. Their players reacted to it.

JeffHCross
09-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Anybody who watched College Football Final ... Dr. Lou was being a total apologist for Notre Dame, saying they defending the fake perfectly. What he meant was that they were lined up for it perfectly ... and as much as I don't want to say the words ... he was right. Clearly they were in the right position ... that's just horrible luck to have two defenders fall down.

Rudy
09-20-2010, 04:38 AM
With Michigan's horrible special teams they should be running fake field goals every game. They could learn from little brother.

AustinWolv
09-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Anybody who watched College Football Final ... Dr. Lou was being a total apologist for Notre Dame, saying they defending the fake perfectly. What he meant was that they were lined up for it perfectly ... and as much as I don't want to say the words ... he was right. Clearly they were in the right position ... that's just horrible luck to have two defenders fall down.

I agree that ND reacted properly to it. It was mainly the defender on the TE that messed up the play, as he was the one that got shed into the inside defender and the slotback. Basically........that TE made the play work, as ND wasn't duped.