PDA

View Full Version : Playing around with Combo Coverages

Keontez
09-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Speaking of plays where the a mixture of Zone and Man coverage. Anybody play around with these with any success?

starter
09-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Tez,

I use comvo coverages and I'm having sucess with it.

On third down many user expect to see man 2 under. Or cover 3. So they call a play that can creates holes in the zone and has a couple of drag routes to beat man coverage. The play is usually from SG giving time to read the defense.

I like to show enough man2under, and give false sence of security. Then use a combo coverage found in the 3-3-5 formation. Cannnot remember the name. It's man1 withthe OLB playing the hook zones. I user one of the OLB (usually to the field) and play the drag.

The risk it that I have to leave my CB with no help over top. I scout the roster and shade the single high toward my match up disadvantage. I'ts risky.

The reward is that you can help guard against the man-to-man match problems a roster maight have.
It can make that huge 3rd down stop that force a punt a swings the momentum in your favor.

Keontez
09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I'd love to know the name Starter. Im trying to find some good ones to continue building on my 4-2-5 scheme.

(Since when did you become a VTech fan? I always thought you were a Maryland fan? lol)

starter
09-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I really like Bud Foster, but I do not like the 4-2-5 in this game. Oneback's under guide has interesting tips on creating the 4-2-5 using the 4-3. I like Maryland because I live in Maryland and love the area's HS football. My emotions are tied to the Redskins, and not Terp football.

I 'll get the name on my lunch break. The basics of the play is everyone is Man coverage, with a single high over the top and the OLBs playing the yellow hook zone. It's basically man 1 robber, but instead of one robber, you have two. For the 4-2-5, cover the 5 eligable receivers and have 2 players in hook zones. If you user the FS, I would select Man1, hot route an athletic End for one of the hook zones to the boundry and user robber the FS the field, or something like that. I'm working on adding a overload blitz to the combo coverage, I just have worked out the kinks yet.

The play from 3-3-5 is called "Cover 1".

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
09-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Long time no talk tez.... but you can run nickel 245... DT blitz... do a global hot route for your LB'ers to be in zone.... this will give you minimal pass rush with man over top and zone under... which is confusing to most as mentioned before they will most likely be expecting 2 under... on 3rd and medium this has been my go to since the 245 has been in the game... and if you have quick sticks you can global them zone... and then edge blitz one of them or both to bring 4 man pressure if you like and still have some zone over the middle underneath your man coverage...

"E"

Keontez
09-29-2010, 10:13 AM
COARCH!

I'll have to give that a looksey...

starter
09-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Play a user game in my OD the other night. His used 5-wide alot. I was getting killed. I formation sub a CB in the MLB sopt in the 3-3-5 defense. I played 3-3-5 man1, which has the 2 OLB in hook zones and the CB subbed in for the MLB covering the 3rd wr in. I user the single high and protect the deep middle. The defense made him hold on to the ball a little longer and I got a couple of sacks. I sprinkled in man2 and some zone to keep him honest. I sealed the game with my first user pick! I'm just suprised that he didn't try to stretch the field with the long ball. It's as if users has been conditioned to pass against man2.