PDA

View Full Version : MLB 16 The Show - Announcement Trailer

cdj
12-05-2015, 03:20 PM
At this weekend's PlayStation Experience, SCEA officially announced MLB 16 The Show coming March 29, 2016 featuring cover athlete Josh Donaldson of the Toronto Bluejays.

The announcement video features a look at pre-beta gameplay footage and appears to highlight a new mechanic for fielding and batting entitled ShowTime.

Similarly to an MLB 15 trailer, the clip ends with a look at some of the legends coming to Diamond Dynasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTAnNxAVxV8

Courtesy the PlayStation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/05/mlb-the-show-16-launches-march-29th-2016-on-ps4-ps3/), here is the first info on the game:

We kicked off 2016 at PlayStation Experience, where we gave fans a first look at what’s coming to next year’s game. In MLB The Show 16, you’ll experience baseball’s most epic moments like never before with ShowTime. Using ShowTime, you can slow down critical moments for maximum control. ShowTime offers gamers a powerful new tool to help them excel in those big baseball moments.

You’ll be able to make diving plays, react at the hot corner, and step up for a clutch at bat with finer and more focused control.

We’ve also made the Road to the Show experience more personalized and rewarding in 2016. A revamped training system gives you the chance to unlock Gameplay Perks as you work your way through Road To The Show (PS4 only). You can also expect a more streamlined Road To the Show experience, as a new paradigm for base-running and fielding opportunities will maximize the time you spend in situations that matter. And for the first time ever in the MLB The Show franchise, you can play an entire series of Road To The Show games without ever having to navigate the main menu between games.

We’re also ecstatic to announce our Cover Athlete for 2016: Josh Donaldson of the Toronto Blue Jays! Josh had a monster year in 2015, winning the American League MVP along with the MLB Players Association’s Player of the Year award and the AL Outstanding Player award. He also set a new record for most votes ever received for an All Star Game performance. Now Josh can add being on the cover of MLB The Show to his laundry list of accomplishments. Josh is also the first MLB The Show Cover Athlete to grace both the US and CA cover. We’re excited to have such a dynamic player represent The Show in 2016.

Finally, we’re excited to announce that PS4 pre-orders for MLB The Show 16 are now live! Those who pre-order the game will receive 10 bonus standard-item packs and a MLB The Show Player Rep Rookie Card when you pick-up or download the game. Those who pre-order at GameStop (or EB Games in Canada) will additionally receive five bonus item packs and those who pre order on the PS Store will receive three exclusive MLB The Show-themed PS4 Avatars (in addition to their 10 item packs and Rookie Card).

The game will come in three formats: Standard ($60), MVP ($70), and Digital Deluxe ($100).

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5749/22917480324_15059f0123.jpg

The legends shown at the end of the clip:

Chicago Cubs – Ryne Sandberg
Cincinnati Reds – Joe Morgan
Cleveland Indians – C.C. Sabathia
Miami Marlins – Miguel Cabrera
Milwaukee Brewers – Rollie Fingers
Oakland Atheltics – Reggie Jackson
San Diego Padres – Tony Gwynn
Seattle Mariners – Ichiro Suzuki
St. Louis Cardinals – Albert Pujols
Texas Rangers – Alex Rodriguez
Washington Nationals (Montreal Expos) – Gary Carter

steelerfan
12-05-2015, 03:35 PM
There is a quick view of the Polo Grounds at the end too.

CLW
12-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Looked impressive

bdoughty
12-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Canadian Cover

http://i.imgur.com/fHSd0vN.jpg

steelerfan
12-05-2015, 05:39 PM
Are you sure that's the Canadian cover?

It makes sense, since he's wearing the red jersey. Just wondering if that's confirmed or a guess.

bdoughty
12-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Are you sure that's the Canadian cover?

It makes sense, since he's wearing the red jersey. Just wondering if that's confirmed or a guess.

There was a link in the PSN blog that showed the Canadian Edition sold by Amazon. This is on the standard edition. They show the MVP edition to be the same as the US, which is odd.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B018UWB7G0

Edit: Just noticed the dead giveaway. Top right and left corner of the box. English and French versions of "Only On/Rating Pending."

steelerfan
12-05-2015, 07:09 PM
Oh yeah. I guess "COTE en ATTENTE" should be a clue also.

jaymo76
12-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Great player for the cover! The one thing I was hoping to hear was with regards to the announcers. Another year of the same? Probably the case.

steelerfan
12-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Great player for the cover! The one thing I was hoping to hear was with regards to the announcers. Another year of the same? Probably the case.
Yeah, looks that way. I'd like a refresh on the announcers but I'd be afraid of having be spotty for a couple of years until they had enough lines. If they'd just add a ton of lines with the existing guys I would be happy.

jaymo76
12-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Yeah, looks that way. I'd like a refresh on the announcers but I'd be afraid of having be spotty for a couple of years until they had enough lines. If they'd just add a ton of lines with the existing guys I would be happy.

Even better would be adding a 2nd team and giving the user a choice of which team (like NCAA BBALL 10).

Rudy
12-06-2015, 03:57 AM

The biggest issue is Matty V. He's long past the due date for a fresh experience with this game but the Sony team is not loaded with money and like the fact he's near their studio. They simply aren't interested in redoing his commentary for money and effort reasons. They indicated last year to not expect his role to change unfortunately.

MLB 2K13 had such great announcing (although player specific commentary was repetitive). NBA 2K has great announcing. You may not like Madden but at least they rotate their announcers. This used to be a huge bright spot for the Show 10 years ago but staying the same for that long has led it to be a negative.

cdj
12-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Small item: Appears franchise has been re-branded from MLB XX The Show to MLB The Show XX.

Rudy
12-07-2015, 07:06 AM
I simply wish this title improved more. I remember being blown away ten years ago but this title bores me now. MLB the Show 15 only sold 520,000 copies on the PS4. That was less than MLB 14 too and they don't get a Christmas/holiday bump since their season is long over. Those are very small numbers for a AAA title. They simply imply the Show is not a good money maker and I feel that the Show dev team is small as a result and that's why you don't see big changes.

NBA 2K 15 sold over 2 million PS4 units and this year has already reached 1.68M before Christmas and will far exceed 2M. Madden 15 sold 1.68M on the PS4 and they are almost at 1.5M before Christmas. FIFA 16 has sold over 5 million games now! The only thing the Show can compete with is NHL where NHL 15 sold 510,000 copies on the PS4. Let's face it, the big boys that move games get a bigger budget and can improve more. If you thought Madden moved slowly that's nothing compared to a lower budget baseball title.

Here is the thing that Show fanboys can't explain. How is the NBA video game so much more popular than a baseball game? NFL ranks #1 in fan surveys as the favourite sport by MLB ranks ahead of the NBA (although having to only pick one sport hurts this area). TV ratings between the NBA and MLB are comparable so why is there such a massive discrepancy between the video game sales? I do think the NBA lends itself to gaming better but the harsh truth is the Show has not evolved. It's no longer fresh and worse yet, it's no longer as fun for the casual fan. Note: Madden deserves criticism here too since NBA 2K is beating them and the NFL is easily the most popular sport.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/85117/mlb-15-the-show/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/05/18/baseball-is-beating-the-nba-and-nhl-playoffs-in-local-tv-ratings/
http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-tv-ratings-2014-1

bdoughty
12-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Factoring TV ratings into this is not going to help your case. Totally different age demographics to start with. One has an older fanbase and the other much much younger fanbase. Younger fanbase is generally going to buy videogames, older fanbase shakes stick in air complaining about young people and their videogames. How many people play and watch golf versus how many purchase golf games. Exactly!

Now to the question, "Why is basketball more popular than baseball in video games?"

Instant gratification aka, why Call of Duty sells so well. Baseball is boring as shit. Sony knows this. Speeding up the game is an attempt to reach out to younger viewers/gamers. Quick Counts feature anyone?

Basketball = Lots of action, high energy and cheerleaders.
Baseball = Lacks all the above.

Why are there no MLB games on the Xbox One or WiiU? Because MS and Nintendo realize that there is a limited market for the game and Sony pretty much captures it. Even the MLB tried to bring back the RBI game but forgot that the majority of people that loved RBI way back when either own The Show or no longer play video games.

Rudy
12-07-2015, 09:34 AM
I think the age thing is overrated and not really true. It's something people have been saying about baseball for over 50 years. And EA sold over 2.5 million copies of MVP 05 so baseball can sell. MVP was more arcade like and maybe they need to think about that.

JBHuskers
12-07-2015, 03:41 PM
I haven't really played this much in the last few years outside of RTTS. Are the legends only for their version of Ultimate Team?

Not sure if I will get this, just not sure if I'd be able to put the time into it. We'll see what all they put out there.

Hank
12-14-2015, 09:41 AM
This series desperately needs new player models and animations.
The game looks nearly identical to MLB09.

Hank
12-14-2015, 10:08 AM
There's definitely money to be made with a baseball game. It just has to be done right.
If someone were to make a game equivalent to NBA2K, it would sell very well.

And as Rude pointed out, MVP sold 2.5M in it's last year of publication.
If EA were to make an MLB game again, I'm sure it would sell well over 1M copies.

The reasons why nobody else has are unknown to me.
Maybe MLB isn't 'cool' enough like UFC, hockey or basketball are?
Or maybe MLB is pricing itself out believing its license is worth more than it really is?
I think the league is really doing itself a disservice by not having a game on the MS consoles. They should be looking to split profits with 2K or EA just to get a game out there.

bdoughty
12-16-2015, 06:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1diNVI3YJw

Rudy
12-16-2015, 07:10 PM
So Showtime is only for road to the Show? Very disappointing. I'd love to see that in normal modes.

steelerfan
12-16-2015, 08:25 PM
So Showtime is only for road to the Show? Very disappointing. I'd love to see that in normal modes.
Meh. Just means I won't have to turn it OFF in my Astros Franchise.

CLW
12-17-2015, 11:58 AM
"You don't have to use it if you don't want to" something EA should take note of instead of shoving [CENSORED] down our throats.