PDA

View Full Version : After Week 2, who should be #1?

cdj
09-12-2010, 10:08 AM
With the second week of college football action in the books, who should be the #1 team in the country?

- Alabama
- Boise State
- Florida
- Ohio State
- Oklahoma
- Oregon
- TCU
- Texas
- Other (List below)

CLW
09-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Tide and they take on my Blue Devils next week. Dear Lord that is going to be UGLY!

SmoothPancakes
09-12-2010, 11:07 AM
The way I rank them (based on the poll options):

1. Alabama - 100% with out a doubt the #1 team after last night. All the Boise State for #1 chanters can now please quiet down because it's not happening anytime soon.

2. Ohio State - Right behind Alabama for that top spot after taking down Da U

3. Oregon - Complete blow outs in both games played, maybe PAC champions again? We'll have to see.

4. Boise State - Boise looked like a solid #3 last week after VT. Now that game looks bad. One could possibly make the point that Boise is hurt more by how they beat VT, than they are by VT losing to James Madison. James Madison beat VT and in fact made VT just look bad. Boise State barely beat VT by 3 points and needed to score right at the very end to do it.

5. TCU - Right now, that Oregon State win is keeping them in the Top 5. But it could be until late October before the Purple Frogs are truly tested in regards to their entire season of play.

6. Oklahoma - Looked HORRIBLE last week, barely escaping Utah State. This week, completely bitch slapped Free Shoes U. You could probably switch TCU and Oklahoma around if desired. Air Force and Cincinnati will offer tough opponents to keep the Sooners on top of their game before the Red River Shootout.

7. Florida - Definitely has proved they don't deserve any higher of a ranking. Looked horrendous last week against Miami U. This week, looked horrendous in the first half against USF before finally finding an offense in the 2nd half. They are really missing Tim Tebow in Florida right now. Gator fans better hope Florida can improve on that passing yards ranking of 104th in the country before they enter the meatgrinder portion on the season over the next month and a half. If not, that Alabama game on October 2nd could be UGLY.

8. Texas - Florida-Texas is another group you can flip-flop if desired. Longhorns opened with an unimpressive win over Rice. Week 2? Another unimpressive win over Wyoming. Wyoming actually led 7-6 with 5 minutes left in the 1st half before Texas found an offense and scored twice before halftime. Even after that, Texas only scored two more touchdowns the rest of the game and was only winning by 20 until they got a touchdown with 54 seconds left in the game to help the margin of victory look better for them. With games against Texas Tech, UCLA, Oklahoma, and Nebraska in their next 4 games, Texas better get something figured out or their Big 12 reign could come crashing down.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Complete blow out by Oregon? I'll grant you that the score was a blowout, but it was 13-13 until halftime. Tennessee led 13-3 early. Yes, a 45-0 run from Oregon is impressive, but being down 13-3 to an extremely young Tennessee team is far from a blowout.

And Boise's game against Oregon State is going to say a lot about both the Broncos and TCU, I think.

SmoothPancakes
09-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Alright, I'll rephrase it. First game was a complete blow out. Second game turned into a blowout after Oregon got settled down and started playing like they were in week 1.

And I agree. Granted, Boise also really needs that Oregon State win, now especially after the face plant that VT made.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I think VT could still come back and win the ACC. We really shouldn't look at this other than a huge letdown loss. If the trend continues, then obviously VT isn't who we thought they were. But Michigan's loss to Oregon a week after Appalachian State was much, much worse than it probably would have been had they won the first week game. The first week is a huge influence on the second week. Some teams bounce back (Kansas), other teams beat themselves up and don't recover (VT).

Then still others look like a bat out of hell (Michigan).

SmoothPancakes
09-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Well, I think if anything, VT could almost win by default. I honestly don't really see anyone as a true threat to win the ACC outside of Miami. Those are the only two I see truly having a shot at the title. But who knows. There is still a long ways to go and lots of games to be played, so anything could happen.

And Michigan is really looking good this year. Definitely a good call with making Robinson the starter. And I say a big thank you to Michigan for winning yesterday. Anything to see Notre Dame lose! Those damned Irish can thank two of my three bosses for being Notre Dame fans (and the never ending crap I hear year round about Notre Dame and the smack I hear from them about Navy) for making me an eternal enemy of the Fighting Irish and my colossal hopes that they go 0-12 every single season for the rest of eternity.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes, we know you like Notre Dame losing ;)

JBHuskers
09-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Alabama, clearly. My top five, with last week's rank in ( )'s I'll expand this out to ten....

1. Alabama (--)
2. Ohio State (3)
3. Boise State (2)
4. Oregon (5)
5. TCU (4)
6. Oklahoma
7. Florida
8. Nebraska
9. Michigan
10. South Carolina

I'm dropping Boise, but I don't put as much stock in VT losing to JMU. I had Oregon already up in the top 5 where they weren't in the polls, now an impressive win against Tennessee. I'm impressed with Michigan's two wins, same with South Carolina, which is why I have them in the top ten over Texas' two unimpressive wins over cupcakes, and Iowa's. Now once they start proving themselves in conference, they will be first in line to move up.

JeffHCross
09-13-2010, 09:07 PM
According to Mike Leach, Alabama is not a Top 5 team ... but Top 7, at least.

JBHuskers
09-13-2010, 09:33 PM
According to Mike Leach, Alabama is not a Top 5 team ... but Top 7, at least.

That narrows it down :D