PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2K16 - General Discussion & Impressions

cdj
09-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Now that the game is available for Early Tip-Off Weekend members, use this thread to discuss NBA 2K16.

cdj
09-25-2015, 10:23 AM
2.2 GB update right off the bat so don't expect to play right away.

Rudy
09-25-2015, 05:00 PM
I read on OS that people loved how a closer guarded shot never went in. A guy like Steph lives on those shots. I hope that part is realistic.

One of the things 2k has done well is authentic signature player styles and team play style. I read Live suffers from teams playing the same way.

Looking forward to impressions.

cdj
09-26-2015, 12:12 AM
I *think* the game was supposed to import your facescan in from last year, but mine and the images I've seen from others has been pretty bad. My guy looks like a meth-head and I'm not going to fight the scanning tech again this year.

Started MyCareer...the high school stuff is cool. The presentation surrounding it is pretty sharp; chants, score banner, crowds, etc. Some of the story stuff is hokey, as expected.

No matter your character, you have the same black family with a twin sister. Some of how they talk and act is very stereotypical. If anyone else but Spike Lee wrote the dialogue, there would probably be some criticism.

However, all I could think of as I played through high school and college selection was that NBA 2K16 did what fans wanted NCAA Football to do ultimately on next-gen: Recruiting visits from coaches, hat selection. HS & creation aspects scream 'next-gen Road to Glory/TeamBuilder.'

I only played one NBA game and three high school games, but here are some of my gameplay likes and dislikes so far:

+ Spacing. The spacing is great and helps you to run and set-up an offense very effectively.
+ So many animations for almost situation. A benefit of basically sticking with a game & game engine for what, 10+ years?

- Clipping. The clipping is absurd in this game. Not just arm through arm, but I had Steph Curry's head and upper torso through/inside LeBron James (and he didn't even buy him dinner before or afterwards).
- Camera Angles. At least the default for gameplay & HS just cut off too much of the court and players.

cdj
09-26-2015, 12:23 AM
Played first game of College....

Picked Texas. The game has authentic court, mascot, and uniforms. They also have a band recording of "The Eyes of Texas" which made the opening pretty cool.

I would guess that when/if a player license is available, 2K will try and get back into College Hoops.

It does get old to hear Kevin Harlan, Kenny Smith, and Clark Kellogg keep talking about how great "Freq" is. :fp:

cdj
09-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Game has been out for around 18 hours and someone has already reached the top tier in MyPark. (Shown by ability to buy mascot skin/costume.)

I think it's safe to say this is a result of being able to buy attribute points with Virtual Currency. ($$$$$)

cdj
09-26-2015, 06:52 PM
Backward shooting not isolated to NBA Live 16 demo.

souljahbill
09-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Backward shooting not isolated to NBA Live 16 demo.

Try that in a game of HORSE

skipwondah33
09-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Haha thing is probably would have missed that if shot at the right basket

CLW
09-27-2015, 01:19 PM
I *think* the game was supposed to import your facescan in from last year, but mine and the images I've seen from others has been pretty bad. My guy looks like a meth-head and I'm not going to fight the scanning tech again this year.

Started MyCareer...the high school stuff is cool. The presentation surrounding it is pretty sharp; chants, score banner, crowds, etc. Some of the story stuff is hokey, as expected.

No matter your character, you have the same black family with a twin sister. Some of how they talk and act is very stereotypical. If anyone else but Spike Lee wrote the dialogue, there would probably be some criticism.

However, all I could think of as I played through high school and college selection was that NBA 2K16 did what fans wanted NCAA Football to do ultimately on next-gen: Recruiting visits from coaches, hat selection. HS & creation aspects scream 'next-gen Road to Glory/TeamBuilder.'

I only played one NBA game and three high school games, but here are some of my gameplay likes and dislikes so far:

+ Spacing. The spacing is great and helps you to run and set-up an offense very effectively.
+ So many animations for almost situation. A benefit of basically sticking with a game & game engine for what, 10+ years?

- Clipping. The clipping is absurd in this game. Not just arm through arm, but I had Steph Curry's head and upper torso through/inside LeBron James (and he didn't even buy him dinner before or afterwards).
- Camera Angles. At least the default for gameplay & HS just cut off too much of the court and players.

If/when the spoiler happens I'll get back into basketball games - I just cannot get into the NBA at all.

cdj
10-09-2015, 07:59 AM
A patch is about two weeks out and should address some/many of the Pro-Am issues.

Rudy
10-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Edit, wrong game.

JBHuskers
10-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Edit, wrong game.

In more ways than one :D

cdj
11-25-2015, 01:03 PM

This is a pretty cool addition.

JBHuskers
11-25-2015, 03:53 PM

This is a pretty cool addition.

Are you trolling the thread? :D

cdj
11-25-2015, 05:37 PM
Are you trolling the thread? :D

Ha, yes!

No....2K deleted a tweet saying that if you play in the Warriors' Hardwood Classics uniform ('The City'), the court on Oracle will switch to their alternate 'The City' court design.

If/when this works, I wonder if they plan on including Milwaukee's alternate 'Fear the Deer' court design for when they wear their black alternates.

cdj
12-02-2015, 10:26 AM

Rudy
12-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Well my C$27 copy of NBA 2K16 arrived today. I haven't played a 2K game since 2K13. This post will be a short set of impressions but largely a comparison to Live 16. I only played one game and I got crushed. I had it on All-Star and they were outscoring me 2:1. On Pro not much better.

I was lost on controls. The play calling uses L1 but you then identify the player and they use the R-stick to call a play. Didn't really bother with it. I think L2 helps you on defense but my team didn't show much of that (Pistons against the Bulls). The shot stick must be turned on because sometimes I'm trying to make moves with it and my guy shot. Couldn't quite figure it out. Whenever I tried to use it for dribble moves the cpu stole the ball half the time. Huge difference from Live where steals are rare and so are blocks on the perimeter which I never see. 2K16 has a lot more steals (too much imo), more blocks and more errant passes and turnovers. I boosted the speed up to 55 as I thought it felt a bit slow. Tons of sliders and camera options! Take note NBA Live! The lack of camera options and customization really hurts Live for no good reason.

Overall the presentation is quite a bit better in NBA 2K16 imo. The overlays and angles cutting away resemble a TV broadcast a lot more. Commentary is really good and that includes pre-game, halftime, post-game complete with highlights and interviews. I still get annoyed when I can't skip through a cut scene quick enough. I do like the commentary in Live although the TV style presentation isn't as good. I like the Nosebleed camera angle in 2K. It's closer than my EA Broadcast angle in Live and lets me see the players better. The graphics are different. The art style is different. I can see why some prefer one game over the other although both games are good.

The game was nice but I still felt lost. The pump fake is really touchy. I think I tap square and then my guy throws up a brutal shot. Ugh. It feels very difficult to trigger a layup animation. Huge difference between Live where you get into the paint and can do that. I probably don't have the controls right but I wasn't doing that correctly and often my player would pick up his dribble when I would try a move (or get the ball stolen).

NBA Live seemed to get killed for being too Points in Paint (PIP) heavy but I saw quite a bit of that from the cpu in this game as well. Animations were really nice. The game just has a different feel than Live. The rim/ball physics are nice. Also saw a dunk pull down the whole backboard too. I miss the shot % from Live but the normal 2K icons to display 3 pointers, all-stars, etc is nice and something Live should adopt when you are using an unknown team.

Overall it's way too early to tell how much I will like this game but it's a shame Live gets crucified compared to 2K16. I did not get the impression that 2K was a luxury vehicle vs Live as a 3 cylinder Firefly after one game. 2K may be more polished with more options and modes but the game play of Live is rock solid imo.

Rudy
12-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Played another game. I like how the CPU takes quick shots but it seems they do a ton of that. The pace feels very frenetic for an nba game. Saw a cool dive for the ball animation but overall I like the playertmovement better in Live. There is better spacing in Live which probably hurts the help defence a little. Players in 2k seem bigger relative to the floor. I do like how you can protect the ball while dribbling with L2.

bdoughty
12-04-2015, 09:00 AM
If you are a fan of the historic teams, give this a shot. Create a league or Franchise, etc. Customize it to edit the teams. Replace all teams with historic teams. You can get an historic team for the majority of teams. For the few that are not available, just double up on teams in divisions where this is an issue. I have 2 Celtics 60's and 80's and Lakers 60's and 80's. Early Jordan and late Jordan Bulls. Southwest division is the hardest as you have two teams with no historic and limited to one of everyone but the Rockets. They really need to add another Spurs team with the current stars but you can toss in two Rockets team and I added the 70's Hawks team to play against the Pistol.

If you play using the broadcast view give the camera setting (Beluba) a shot. It is the camera one of the devs, Mike Wang created for a broadcast camera that really zooms in tight near the paint.

Rudy
12-04-2015, 03:50 PM
I don't like zoomed in cameras much. I largely prefer to see a large part of the floor or field.

I will try some old school Pistons and Lakers, Celtics or Bulls.

Rudy
12-05-2015, 07:28 AM
I'm most likely going to sell this game. I honestly don't consider the on the court gameplay to be superior to Live. I'm not a hardcore basketball fan so I'm sure those guys may look at team tendencies and certain things and say they are better. But to me NBA 2K tends to rush shots too often and doesn't run a methodical half court game like the real NBA. I think Live does this better. Many times on 2K as I'm just setting up defensively against my man the cpu is throwing up a quick shot. The cpu pushes the ball up the floor too fast, too often and rushes their half court game. I prefer the feel of the Live player movement over 2K. Whenever I play 2K I'm actually looking forward to playing Live. My lack of all the understanding of the controls probably doesn't help.

2K wins in the presentation department easily. The TV style is great and so is the announcing, particularly Harlan although NBA Live is decent here too. 2K has an incredible amount of customization from camera angles to sliders and rosters. Live fails horribly in this department. 2K also has NBA replay games available which is cool and Live's version not working. I don't do the My Player stuff but I'm sure 2K wins easily here as well.

But in terms of raw gameplay I just enjoy Live more. The mid-range game is a little better in 2K but I like the pick and roll controls and play calling more in Live. The cpu teams in Live do get accurate shot totals from their stars and run a good half court offence as well as fast break when they can. I love the shot % meter in Live as well. I wish Live had the icons on the players that lets you know who the good 3 point shooters, etc are since it can be hard if you use random teams you don't know. Overall NBA Live is a really fun game on the court. More customization is needed next year but it gets a bad rap imo.

Rudy
12-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Had a fun game taking 89 Pistons against 80s Boston. McHale had some sweet post moves - something Live lacks (and classic teams). A pic of the nutters.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVeA4AkUwAA6EcQ.jpg:large

JBHuskers
12-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Nutters :D

cdj
01-28-2016, 02:32 PM
The prize for NBA 2K's competitive/e-sports mode is pretty nice at $250K (divided amongst five team members, I'd guess). Though, if they are not disqualifying or voiding players who bought player attritibutes (I doubt they are), it doesn't seem like skills are going to be the biggest factor.

At least with Madden's Ranked Draft Champions, you could have a team with some weaknesses and there's no cash involved in leveling up.

cdj
01-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Following breaking his hand in a fight with the equipment manager, Blake Griffin's HANDS rating dropped from 97 to 77 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2611918-nba-2k-spokesperson-jokes-blake-griffins-hands-rating-will-drop-after-injury?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national?is_shared=true?is_shared=true).

FLASHBACK: 2K Sports has taken Spurs guard Tony Parker's loyalty rating from an 87 to 0 in the latest NBA 2K11 roster update (http://n4g.com/news/653079/2k-punishes-tony-parker-for-infidelity). Parker's wife Eva Longoria recently filed for divorce after finding out he had been cheating on her.

In looking for the info on Parker, I stumbled across an old tweet from Ronnie 2K.

He acted as if he wasn't privy or knowledgeable, however he had been an employee since 2007. :D

cdj
02-04-2016, 07:53 AM