PDA

View Full Version : NHL 16 Now Available on EA Access

jaymo76
09-09-2015, 06:43 PM
NHL 16 is now available from EA ACCESS. The trial period is 10 hours. I'm pretty busy tonight but plan to get into this on Thursday and Friday night.

steelerfan
09-09-2015, 06:47 PM
NHL 16 is now available from EA ACCESS. The trial period is 10 hours. I'm pretty busy tonight but plan to get into this on Thursday and Friday night.
Looking forward to your thoughts. This game is off my radar now but I could be swayed with great BAGM reviews.

jaymo76
09-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Looking forward to your thoughts. This game is off my radar now but I could be swayed with great BAGM reviews.

Yup BAGM is all I am interested in. It seems that they added back a lot of stuff and added some new stuff. Even though 15 had no features I enjoyed the gameplay. The problem is that BAGM was an awful experience. When I get a chance I will stream some of the game and make some YouTube clips. Anything in particular you are looking for/want to see?

steelerfan
09-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Yup BAGM is all I am interested in. It seems that they added back a lot of stuff and added some new stuff. Even though 15 had no features I enjoyed the gameplay. The problem is that BAGM was an awful experience. When I get a chance I will stream some of the game and make some YouTube clips. Anything in particular you are looking for/want to see?
Obviously, gameplay is big. Additionally, I'd just like to hear about the menus for BAGM to get an idea of how clunky the mode is. Any impressions about gameplay and BAGM would be appreciated but just do what you do. It's your 10 hours, not mine. :)

jaymo76
09-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Got a chance to play one game ast night (Chi vs TB). It was the start-up game while the rest of the game downloaded. Overall it looked really good visually speaking) though the commentary seemed identical to last year. The game seemed to play the same as last year. I really didn't notice any difference.

I like the atmsosphere (the TB mascot was visible on a regular basis). They playoff beards were pretty cool IMO. The on ice sills trainer (same as FIFA) was actually very beneficial. The arena looked bigger and more detailed than last year. It's also great to see that you can watch all of the highlight at the intermission again. As is always the case... no penalties.

I didn't do anything else. First impression: if you like 15 you will like this as it feels pretty much the same. IMO there is no real breakthrough in gameplay. That being said I have always found the NHL series to be a fun game to play.

jaymo76
09-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Tried to stream today and no luck. Apparently twitch is not allowing the game to be streamed on Access.

jaymo76
09-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Played a GM Mode game as the Oilers. I was shutout 4-0 by the Flames. I badly outshot them but could not even get a sniff.

jaymo76
09-12-2015, 04:29 PM
-mascots during the game and on the ce at the end of the game
-pre-game has a great atmosphere
-pre season is back!!!
-goalies seem to be automatically rotated in preseason (new starter for each game)
-skills trainer is very helpful IMO
-return of AHL

Dislikes:
-Connor McDavid starts in the AHL... :smh:
-Still can only see your team's games on the calendar
-Announcers are just as dry as last year- minimal personality
-No penalties as per usual!!!
-Broken stick occurence is a little too high for my liking

jaymo76
09-12-2015, 05:07 PM
In 4 games I have scored 3 goals (all in the same game). I'm not great at NHL at the best of times but honestly it feels like the cpu is glued to my players and I cannot break away. It seems as though there are always three cpu defenders in the box and they lift you stick or knock you off the puck. The gameplay is very tight but it's to the point that I am not enjoying playing the game. You need to cycle the puck and I appreciate that but it seems as though that is the only way to score. Slapshots seems useless for humans but the cpu eats them up. Cpu goalies are always in position.

steelerfan
09-12-2015, 06:24 PM
-mascots during the game and on the ce at the end of the game
-pre-game has a great atmosphere
-pre season is back!!!
-goalies seem to be automatically rotated in preseason (new starter for each game)
-skills trainer is very helpful IMO
-return of AHL

Dislikes:
-Connor McDavid starts in the AHL... :smh:
-Still can only see your team's games on the calendar
-Announcers are just as dry as last year- minimal personality
-No penalties as per usual!!!
-Broken stick occurence is a little too high for my liking
How is McDavid in the game already? Unless the rules changed this year, players can't appear in the game until they play in a regular season NHL game.

It would be FANTASTIC news, if that changed.

jaymo76
09-12-2015, 08:19 PM
How is McDavid in the game already? Unless the rules changed this year, players can't appear in the game until they play in a regular season NHL game.

It would be FANTASTIC news, if that changed.

I called him up from the AHL. He is in the game and is a phenomenal face off man.

jaymo76
09-13-2015, 01:06 PM
BE A PLAYER is fun as hell!! It's the best mode by far. I started as a 16 year old, chose my league (WHL) and then my team (Seattle Thunderbirds). I'm a 58 ovr and 3rd line left winger. You no longer have to watch the entire game and the sim stats when you don't play work great. Also, progeression and regression are tied in with your training and gameplay. I have progressed in all areas except skating where I actually declined due to my shifts being too long. The skill trainer is great!

JBHuskers
09-14-2015, 03:03 PM
That's good because I'd just get tired of watching and ask to sub myself back in :D

Still not sure I'll get this though.

jaymo76
09-14-2015, 07:04 PM
That's good because I'd just get tired of watching and ask to sub myself back in :D

Still not sure I'll get this though.

The game added back a lot of missing stuff from last gen. I like a lot of the features but this is NOT a radical jump by any stretch.

JBHuskers
09-14-2015, 07:06 PM
The game added back a lot of missing stuff from last gen. I like a lot of the features but this is NOT a radical jump by any stretch.
Yeah the only thing I really played was GM Connected with :sf: and Snoop.

jaymo76
09-16-2015, 12:59 AM
Yeah the only thing I really played was GM Connected with :sf: and Snoop.

Overall the game is decent and it is back to the standards expected for NHL. That being said, I find it hard to justify purchasing this game as it is still pretty much identical to NHL for the past 5+ years.

steelerfan
09-16-2015, 01:11 AM
Overall the game is decent and it is back to the standards expected for NHL. That being said, I find it hard to justify purchasing this game as it is still pretty much identical to NHL for the past 5+ years.
I haven't read much on it but the little I did read said that BAGM was not improved by the chemistry and meetings. I've seen that the meetings are mundane and lack logic.

Did you mess with it at all?

jaymo76
09-16-2015, 07:22 PM
I haven't read much on it but the little I did read said that BAGM was not improved by the chemistry and meetings. I've seen that the meetings are mundane and lack logic.

Did you mess with it at all?

Not too much. I called some team meetings and players liked some decisions more than others. It's a good idea but not all that detailed or engaging. I didn't really see chemistry do all that much.

Hank
09-17-2015, 11:56 AM

I think that's why I'm going to pass again this year. Maybe pick it up on the cheap after Christmas.
I just find most sports games don't change all that much year to year. The dev cycle is too short and the Suits want too many back-of-the-box additions, so gameplay usually only gets minor, subtle upgrades.

I'm going to wait for NHL17. Maybe the differences between 15>17 will be large enough that I'll really notice a difference.

All told, I'm probably going to go outside the box and get something completely different like PES or NBA Live.

Most of the sports games I adored are out of business now; Fight Night, NHL2K, MLB2K.... I wish I had some of that back. :(

JeffHCross
10-14-2015, 08:16 AM
NHL 16 is the Amazon Deal of the Day https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XUZBCVI/ref=mp_s_a_1_cc_1?qid=1444828428&sr=1-1-catcorr&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=nhl+16

jaymo76
04-11-2016, 01:13 AM
Happy to report that saved progress from EA Access early release transfers over when the game finally goes into the vault. I resumed my Seattle Tbirds Be a Pro tonight which I last played in September.