PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 Discussion

JeffHCross
09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
For sake of sanity, only posting the TV games now ...

Thursday, Sept. 9
Central Michigan at Temple, 7 p.m., ESPNU
Auburn at Mississippi State, 7:30 p.m., ESPN

Friday, Sept. 10
West Virginia at Marshall, 7 p.m., ESPN
UTEP at Houston, 10:15 p.m., ESPN

Saturday, Sept. 11
Georgia at South Carolina, Noon, ESPN or ESPN2
San Jose State at Wisconsin, Noon, ESPN or ESPN2
Michigan State at Florida Atlantic, Noon, ESPNU
Georgia Tech at Kansas, Noon, FSN
Hawaii at Army, Noon, CBS College
Illinois State at Northwestern, Noon, Big Ten Network
South Dakota at Minnesota, Noon, Big Ten Network
Western Illinois at Purdue, Noon, Big Ten Network
Michigan at Notre Dame, 3:30 p.m., NBC
Miami at Ohio State, 3:30 p.m., ESPN
Florida State at Oklahoma, 3:30 p.m., ABC or ESPN2
Iowa State at Iowa, 3:30 p.m., ABC or ESPN2
Kent State at Boston College, 3:30 p.m., ESPNU
Colorado at California, 3:30 p.m., FSN
Georgia Southern at Navy, 3:30 p.m., CBS College
BYU at Air Force, 4 p.m., Versus
UNLV at Utah, 4 p.m., Mtn.
Penn State at Alabama, 7 p.m., ESPN
Oregon at Tennessee, 7 p.m., ESPN2
Wyoming at Texas, 7 p.m., FSN
Southern Illinois at Illinois, 7:30 p.m., Big Ten Network
North Carolina State at UCF, 7:30 p.m., CBS College
Texas Tech at New Mexico, 8 p.m., Mtn.
Mississippi at Tulane, 9 p.m., ESPN Classic/ESPN2
Stanford at UCLA, 10:30 p.m., ESPN
Virginia at USC, 10:30 p.m., FSN
Colorado State at Nevada, 10:30 p.m., ESPNU

CFB TV Schedule Thread (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?367-2010-CFB-TV-Schedule) -- in case I missed any

cdj
09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
The big ones (IMO):

Penn State at Alabama
Miami at Ohio State
Florida State at Oklahoma
Michigan at Notre Dame

Another busy week for the DVR. ;)

JeffHCross
09-07-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm so excited for the Michigan / Notre Dame game that I don't know how much of the OSU / Miami game I'll watch. And I don't know the last time I felt that way.

HWill
09-07-2010, 11:36 PM
I think South Carolina/UGA could be interesting, as well as Oregon/Tennessee. A lot to look forward to this week.

JBHuskers
09-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Debating if I want to wake up to listen to the Huskers on the radio against Idaho :D

I sure don't wanna start partying at 11:30am with having to DJ that night.

I sure as hell am not going to pay $40 to watch it on PPV.

steelerfan
09-08-2010, 12:35 AM
The big ones (IMO):

Penn State at Alabama
Miami at Ohio State
Florida State at Oklahoma
Michigan at Notre Dame

Agreed.

I'm intrigued by Auburn/Mississippi State, too.

Solidice
09-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Texas Tech @ New Mexico.

good scrimmage before playing Texas. :D

great, I probably jinx TTU now. :(

morsdraconis
09-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Obviously, going to watch the WVU - Marshall game. I swear, if we actually lose to those fuckers, I'm swearing off watching WVU until they fire Stewart. That would hopefully be the last straw to can his dumb ass.

And I will definitely be flipping between 5 different games on Saturday at 3:30:

Miami - Ohio State
Florida State - Oklahoma
Iowa - Iowa State
Georgia Southern - Navy
Michigan - Notre Dame

And both games Thursday and Friday (though I'll probably watch Thursday night NFL football as well).

And probably watch the Georgia Tech - Kansas game (just to see Georgia Tech smash them)

After that, I'll probably try to catch as much of the Nevada - Colorado State game (since I never get to watch them play)

And watch as much of the UNLV - Utah game at 4pm as I can possible catch (so 6 games around the 3:30pm mark).

Roy38
09-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm interested to see if OU can rebound after their lackluster effort against Utah State. Here's an interesting stat from that game: OU held Utah State to 100 yards on 68 plays :nod:. However, the other 12 plays they ran we gave up 330 yards :smh:. We had guys in position all night and could not seem to find the football.

I'll be at the Florida State - Oklahoma game. Should be a rowdy one. Florida State fans are already claiming they are going to end the nations longest home winning streak and get revenge for how we cheated them in the 2000 National Championship game. After last weeks game, they might be right.

JBHuskers
09-10-2010, 01:59 PM
This is like heaven....some great college games on Saturday and the first NFL Sunday.... :nod:

cdj
09-10-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm genuinely concerned about morsdraconis right now. Marshall looks like gangbusters out there, up 21-6 early in the fourth.

morsdraconis
09-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm genuinely concerned about morsdraconis right now. Marshall looks like gangbusters out there, up 21-6 early in the fourth.

I just had a feeling we were going to lose to them. I'm done with WVU football until that hack of a coach is gone. I don't care if we come back and win it or not, I'm done. I will not waste my money or time on this piece of shit team anymore.

HWill
09-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I just had a feeling we were going to lose to them. I'm done with WVU football until that hack of a coach is gone. I don't care if we come back and win it or not, I'm done. I will not waste my money or time on this piece of shit team anymore.

:D Before I logged on I checked the score and said, "uh oh, I wonder how morsdraconis is handling this."

SmoothPancakes
09-10-2010, 10:39 PM
A hell of a collapse by Marshall there. WVU comes back to win in the end, but I don't blame you mors. Just the fact that a 15 point, 4th quarter comeback (along with a two point conversion) was required just to force overtime, WVU definitely needs some changes to be made somewhere.

morsdraconis
09-10-2010, 11:28 PM
It's the saddest football I've seen... Good god that was terrible... Somehow Marshall blows it all and we win. Apparently, the homer story is that Doc knew all of our handsignals and therefore knew what the plays were (I call bullshit, but whatever). In the end, we're just going to get blasted by someone terrible (probably fuckin' Maryland or UNLV) and it's all for not.

I stand by my comment of no longer supporting the team until that fool of a coach is gone. Barely winning against such an absolutely shitty team as Marshall (and believe me, they are HORRIBLE) is just absolutely inexcusable. But then, 31 points against fuckin' Coastal Carolina wasn't exactly something to write home about.

Rudy
09-11-2010, 06:21 AM
I watched a good part of the WVU game. I PVR'd the rest but I didn't set it long enough. I saw the comeback and them tie it up but missed all of OT this morning. While the Marshall fumble certainly helped WVU, WVU fumbled quite a bit too.

I think a few things stood out to me about WVU.
1) Their OL blows. Marshall's DL looked like world beaters against them. Smith was harrassed all night and the OL let them in on the FG block too.
2) I have no idea what kind of offense they want to run. In the 2nd and 3rd quarter they barely ran any option plays. They were in shotgun a lot but just to throw the ball or get sacked.
3) They didn't utilize Devine very well until later in the game. The guy is a stud - feed him the ball!

I know Stewart said he wants to get away from Rich Rod's spread and even though I'm not crazy about it at Michigan, I do think it was a signature part of the WVU program and they should keep it. Sort of like Texas Tech sticking with the Air Raid. Going to a conventional offense would just make them another college and doesn't separate them from the pack.

And I also worried for Mors sanity this morning had WVU lost. :)

Rudy
09-11-2010, 06:24 AM
I'm definitely watching the Michigan game today. I think the Bama game could turn out lopsided. Strangely, I think the FSU-OU game may be the game of the day. I think Ponder may pull off the upset and get some Heisman love in the process. The guy is a great QB.

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 08:12 AM
the OL let them in on the FG block too.To be fair, they got a FG block against OSU too (how they got their 7 points). I think their DL is considerably better than people would think, though WVU's line did look outclassed last night. We had a couple plays against them where they got a linemen free, but we had a lot more where Pryor had all day to throw.

So much to watch today, this is ridiculous.

Georgia and SCar starting it off at noon.
THE Ohio State University / Da U, Free Shoes / Ooooooooooklahoma, and scUM / Golden Domers all at 3:30. Good grief.
Then The Tide and Penn State as the night cap, going up against NASCAR at Richmond (my third favorite track behind Daytona and Indy).
And, of course, Nevada's Pistol to finish off the night. That's always a good way to end a Saturday.

morsdraconis
09-11-2010, 08:53 AM
I watched a good part of the WVU game. I PVR'd the rest but I didn't set it long enough. I saw the comeback and them tie it up but missed all of OT this morning. While the Marshall fumble certainly helped WVU, WVU fumbled quite a bit too.

I think a few things stood out to me about WVU.
1) Their OL blows. Marshall's DL looked like world beaters against them. Smith was harrassed all night and the OL let them in on the FG block too.
2) I have no idea what kind of offense they want to run. In the 2nd and 3rd quarter they barely ran any option plays. They were in shotgun a lot but just to throw the ball or get sacked.
3) They didn't utilize Devine very well until later in the game. The guy is a stud - feed him the ball!

I know Stewart said he wants to get away from Rich Rod's spread and even though I'm not crazy about it at Michigan, I do think it was a signature part of the WVU program and they should keep it. Sort of like Texas Tech sticking with the Air Raid. Going to a conventional offense would just make them another college and doesn't separate them from the pack.

And I also worried for Mors sanity this morning had WVU lost. :)

It's been a mark of Stewart (and a two years before RROD left) that our offensive line has been absolutely atrocious. Pat White's last year (2008) was supposed to be one of the best lines WVU was going to EVER have but they were just bad. No cohesiveness and no heart. It looked like they didn't even care to play football.

I don't know what to think. The whole idea of getting someone like Stewart as the coach was we were saving money to be spent on incredible minds at the other coaching spots. It certainly looks like that's not what we've done at all (or Stewart isn't using them right or something).

In the end, it's a trainwreck of football no matter what as long as he's still Coach.

CLW
09-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I know NOONE here cares but I'm just pumped Duke is on t.v. here locally in RI!

CLW
09-11-2010, 12:14 PM
LOL I guess NCAA 11 isn't too offense friendly. This Duke Wake game is playing exactly like some of my shoot outs on the PS3. 21-21.

CLW
09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I know I'm chatting with myself here but this Duke @ Wake game is EA's "Exhibit A" to my complaint about no defense in their games. 28-35 2:43 remaining in the 2nd Quarter.

CLW
09-11-2010, 12:44 PM
35-35 now but there are still 40 seconds left in the 1st Half so we probably will see at least 4 more scores.

JBHuskers
09-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Holy shit.....

South Dakota 28
Minnesota 10

CLW
09-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Holy shit.....

South Dakota 28
Minnesota 10

Wow that would be a shocker!

Solidice
09-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Kansas 28 Georgia Tech 17. I guess Kansas got their stuff together after losing to North Dakota State. I wish I knew that they would ahead of time, I pick GT with the 14 point spread(I knew I shouldn't have with that big of a spread) :D

CLW
09-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Kansas 28 Georgia Tech 17. I guess Kansas got their stuff together after losing to North Dakota State. I wish I knew that they would ahead of time, I pick GT with the 14 point spread(I knew I shouldn't have with that big of a spread) :D

GT seems to be Dr. Jeckle / Mr. Hyde and it largely depends on how focussed/disciplined their opponent is at playing assignment football to stop the option.

I'm glad I don't have a gambling problem though. This pick em' TGT league just gave me further proof that I have no business betting on sports. :nod:

Solidice
09-11-2010, 02:04 PM
GT fighting back. 28-25, Kansas leading.

Solidice
09-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Army-Hawai'i tied at 28 late in the 4th.

Akron and Gardner-Webb in OT 31-31

Wake Forest 48 Duke 38

VT only up 13-7 on James Madison, in the 3rd quarter.

South Dakota still beating Minnesota, 41-31, under 5 minutes to go.

CLW
09-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Duke 41 @ Wake 48 - 7 minutes remaining

CLW
09-11-2010, 02:24 PM
SD pulls it off!

Solidice
09-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Gardner-Webb beats Akron 38-37 in OT
Looks like Hawai'i will win 31-28
South Carolina beats Georgia 17-6
Kansas beats GT 28-25.

Solidice
09-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Virginia Tech only leading 16-14 against James Madison. :eek:

CLW
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Duke falls @ Wake.

Time to start watching "The U" @ THE Ohio St.

Solidice
09-11-2010, 02:31 PM
looks like I'll be 5-1 in the early games today. as long as Wake and Florida hang on. lost on GT-Kansas

CLW
09-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Wow 3 really good games on right now.

Michigan @ Notre Dame

Miami @ Ohio St.

Florida State @ Oklahoma

Solidice
09-11-2010, 02:37 PM
looks like I'll be 5-1 in the early games today. as long as Wake and Florida hang on. lost on GT-Kansas

darn, looks like Duke scored. probably end in a push(Wake leads by 6 and the spread was 6)

Solidice
09-11-2010, 02:40 PM
James Madison 21
Virginia Tech 16

CLW
09-11-2010, 02:47 PM
darn, looks like Duke scored. probably end in a push(Wake leads by 6 and the spread was 6)

Yeah it ended in a Push 48-54.

CLW
09-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Sooners 7 Free Shoes 0

CLW
09-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Notre Dame driving inside 10

CLW
09-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Touchdown Irish probably will be reviewed.

CLW
09-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Jacorry Harris SUCKS in big games.

CLW
09-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Wow HUGE return by Miller to get the Canes on the board.

CLW
09-11-2010, 03:08 PM
James madison ftw!

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 03:21 PM
James Madison leads VT 20-16. Ryan Williams should have been tackled behind the line of scrimmage, stays on his feet and rushes for 10+.
23 minutes ago via web

And then VT fumbles the ball. That's 3 for the day. Oh man, upset brewing in Blacksburg. 5:21 to go, down 21-16.
22 minutes ago via web

James Madison faces 3rd & 1, 2:31 to go. VT only has one timeout left.
18 minutes ago via web

First down Dukes. James Madison 1st and 10, 2:24 to go. VT has no timeouts.
14 minutes ago via web

JMU punting ... should be within :20 seconds when they kick the ball. VT's going to need a miracle.
13 minutes ago via web

Virginia Tech roughs the punter. James Madison keeps the ball. Victory formation. Ball game. James Madison 21, Virginia Tech 16.
8 minutes ago via web

CLW
09-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Good lord Bosher just hit a 50+ yd field goal that looked like it would have been good from 60+

CLW
09-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Oklahoma is SHREDDING FSU

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Halftime: OSU 26, Da U 17. After watching Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech, I'm okay with that.

Michigan's offense is starting to bother me though. They look good.

CLW
09-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Jacorry Harris and Terrell Pryor are BOTH piss poor excuses for Qbs. Pryor gets by on pure athleticism alone which of course will NEVER work in the NFL. Harris well he is just flat out nothing but a hype machine that puts up nice #s against crap competition but against good defenses he disappears.

SmoothPancakes
09-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Michigan's offense is starting to bother me though. They look good.

Well, for this one game, that's alright to me. Two of my three bosses up at the station are big Notre Dame fans. And one of them never shuts the hell up on weeks after Notre Dame wins and Navy loses (if they end up doing so). I don't care if they were playing the Al Queda All-Star team, I hope for Notre Dame to lose every single weekend just because of my one boss. :)

And maybe I'm alone on this thought, but James Madison just seriously screwed Boise State today. Boise may have won last week over VT, but James Madison winning today just took a ton out of Boise State's strength of schedule after last week's win. Especially as Virginia Tech is starting to look more and more SERIOUSLY overrated as each week comes and goes. Another reason why I HATE preseason polls. Virginia Tech is showing that they had absolutely no business being ranked 10th (in the AP) and 5th (in the Coaches).

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Pryor has looked much, much better in other games, including ones against quality defenses. This is definitely not a good game for him. Horrible decisions, and locking on receivers left and right.

And maybe I'm alone on this thought, but James Madison just seriously screwed Boise State today.Absolutely they did. Well ... Virginia Tech did. Not James Madison's fault ;)

Another reason why I HATE preseason polls. Virginia Tech is showing that they had absolutely no business being ranked 10th (in the AP) and 5th (in the Coaches).Agreed that preseason polls need to go the way of the dodo. But VT could, and I wouldn't be surprised if they do, still win the ACC.

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Regarding Cameron Heyward's interception.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahaha.

Big Man!!!!!!

Solidice
09-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm getting killed in the afternoon games. not sure why, but I picked FSU, Miami, Iowa State to beat the spread(didn't think either would win the game). I also picked BYU to beat Air Force. they're all failing me. :D

at least Cal is taking care of Colorado.

SmoothPancakes
09-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, Air Force is starting to scare me. I don't know exactly how good BYU was expected to be this season, but the Falcons sitting there doubling up BYU right now, unless it's a fluke or something, Air Force could be a pretty dangerous team this year. It also could make what has been an extremely tough and close Air Force-Navy game each year even tougher this season.

Solidice
09-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, Air Force is starting to scare me. I don't know exactly how good BYU was expected to be this season, but the Falcons sitting there doubling up BYU right now, unless it's a fluke or something, Air Force could be a pretty dangerous team this year. It also could make what has been an extremely tough and close Air Force-Navy game each year even tougher this season.

I haven't been paying that close attention to the AFA game(I have it streaming on my PC, but I've mostly been watching the games on TV instead), but it looks like they are just better than BYU right now(or at least better coached).AFA has 400+ yards to BYU's 231. BYU does have 3 turnovers to AFA 1 though.

AFA leads 35-14 now

SmoothPancakes
09-11-2010, 06:23 PM
A great day. Navy won. Notre Dame lost. All is right with the world. ;)

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah, Air Force is starting to scare me.Air Force has been good, if not great, the last two years. #10 in Scoring D last year.

SmoothPancakes
09-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Air Force has been good, if not great, the last two years. #10 in Scoring D last year.

Well yeah, I know they've been flirting with that good/great line. But this year, they could possibly be even better. I wouldn't be surprised to see Air Force fighting for a MWC title at the end of the season.

Solidice
09-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Texas Tech wearing all white @New Mexico. white helemt, jersey, etc....

already 7-0 too. TTU up.

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Well yeah, I know they've been flirting with that good/great line. But this year, they could possibly be even better. I wouldn't be surprised to see Air Force fighting for a MWC title at the end of the season.Me either. Their defense looks just as solid as it was last year, and Asher Clarke and Tim Jefferson are looking explosive in that backfield. Add Halderman and Fogler outside and they're dangerous.

gschwendt
09-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Arkansas State sets a team single game passing record picking up 438 yards through the air but still lose due to 3 turnovers, only 18 rushing yards, and needing 17 points in the fourth quarter in order to pull within 7 points; a ULL interception with 2 minutes remaining sealed the game.

cdj
09-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Texas Tech wearing all white @New Mexico. white helemt, jersey, etc....

already 7-0 too. TTU up.

Didn't they say the white helmets were just for practice to help with the heat? Texas hasn't been overly impressive (yet), so next week could be interesting.

Solidice
09-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Didn't they say the white helmets were just for practice to help with the heat? Texas hasn't been overly impressive (yet), so next week could be interesting.

I guess they decided to wear them in the game. I think it's only going to be a road thing though. I imagine next week they'll be back to the black helmets for the home game against Texas.

the design of the white helmets look almost exactly like it was in the early 70's. white with black and red stripes in the middle and the normal block TT logo in red. only difference is black facemask(instead of red like one year and I think gray the other years they had white helmets)

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Nevada is absolutely shredding Colorado State with the pistol tonight. QB Colin Kapernick had over 100 rushing yards before the 1st quarter was even half done.

James Madison beat Virginia Tech, and had never used the Pistol in a game before today.

I am even more convinced that the Pistol will be a very, very common offense across the nation within five years.

skipwondah33
09-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Well look at this dummy

I was actually watching this game when it happened, the TD stood as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0teQMcJ211w

Rudy
09-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Skip, I think a kid from Marshall did the exact same thing in the WVU game. Both times the ball was dropped before the end zone.

SmoothPancakes
09-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Me either. Their defense looks just as solid as it was last year, and Asher Clarke and Tim Jefferson are looking explosive in that backfield. Add Halderman and Fogler outside and they're dangerous.

Yeah, they really scare me this year. The Air Force-Navy games over the last 5-6 years have already been as close as you could possibly get, and now with Air Force looking even better this year than during any of those past years, that worries me.

Well look at this dummy

I was actually watching this game when it happened, the TD stood as well

Ugh, I hate idiots who do that crap. Yes, you're going to score a touchdown. Yes, you want to celebrate. Is it really THAT hard to hold onto the ball for a mere 1 or 2 seconds longer until you are fully IN the endzone before dropping the ball?

Also, I think teams might want to stop overlooking any FCS teams on their schedules in coming years. In addition to last week's games:

South Dakota knocks of Minnesota
Gardner-Webb knocks off Akron
Purdue only beats Western Illinois by 10,
obviously James Madison knocking off the Hokies
Montana State loses to Washington State by 1 point (WSU had to score 16 4th quarter points to win)
Liberty beats Ball State
North Dakota stays within 6 of Northern Illinois

Yeah, granted some of those teams aren't exactly the next national champion (Akron, Ball State, etc), but just the fact that 7 FCS teams either won or were within 10 points of a potential win against a FBS opponent, to me, it's looking like teams are going to have to take FCS opponents on their schedule in the future more serious than they are now.

And if that's not the problem, then those FBS teams need to just stop sucking it up to the point that they lose or nearly lose the games in the first place.

CLW
09-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Alabama is either NASTY or Penn St. either played bad or isn't a Top 25 club.

SmoothPancakes
09-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Alabama is either NASTY or Penn St. either played bad or isn't a Top 25 club.

I think a mix of all three. I know one or two of our resident Penn State fans say that they see Penn State as a 3 or 4 loss team this year, and based on this game, I'd have to agree with them.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Skip, I think a kid from Marshall did the exact same thing in the WVU game. Both times the ball was dropped before the end zone.I'm starting to think that the WRs are doing it intentionally. I can't imagine accidentally not realizing that you hadn't cross the goalline yet.

Is it really THAT hard to hold onto the ball for a mere 1 or 2 seconds longer until you are fully IN the endzone before dropping the ball?This is the same argument I use to the people who say the celebration penalty next year is going to take points off the board. If the player waits until he's in the end zone to celebrate, it's a dead ball penalty. If he can't wait to celebrate until after he cross the goalline ... his own damn fault.

The most amazing part is, knowing that penalty is coming next year, the sheer amount of players who decided they needed to do a forward flip across the goalline was astounding. Just go into the end zone, idiots.

Montana State loses to Washington State by 1 point (WSU had to score 16 4th quarter points to win)Actually, I think this is a come-from-behind upset. Wazzu should have lost that game. :D

Roy38
09-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Yep. OU tinkered with the Pistol last year, and two games into this season it's a staple. Our offense this year is a completely different animal than when Sam Bradford was here.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Yep. OU tinkered with the Pistol last year, and two games into this season it's a staple. Our offense this year is a completely different animal than when Sam Bradford was here.It seems like a simple decision (though not entirely simple to implement). If you're a traditional I-form team, the Pistol gives you a way to get the ball to your HB faster without significantly impacting your timing. The only issue there I can see is less time for pulling guards.

If you're a one-back team, the Pistol should be obvious. Faster handoff while still giving you all the downhill running ability of oneback.

A Shotgun Spread team is probably the only one that may have an argument against Pistol. But the Shotgun's positioning of the QB on a pass play isn't a huge advantage over the Pistol (which are both advantageous over under-center), while the Pistol gives you downhill running that you can't get in Shotgun without running a draw play.

The Pistol is the next logical pick for a trending offensive scheme. And I think it's going to stick around a while. The Pistol, in itself, is a "Multiple" offense. Very few other formations offer that ... and having a scheme built around a versatile offense is huge.

Rudy
09-12-2010, 06:30 PM
I think a mix of all three. I know one or two of our resident Penn State fans say that they see Penn State as a 3 or 4 loss team this year, and based on this game, I'd have to agree with them.

I think PSU fans would love to go 9-3. A trush freshman QB, a new and unsettled OL and a new LB corp as well. I just think they were over-rated this year due to their success the last few years. They lost a lot of talent.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah, they really scare me this year. The Air Force-Navy games over the last 5-6 years have already been as close as you could possibly get, and now with Air Force looking even better this year than during any of those past years, that worries me.I just re-watched their first drive against BYU. Absolutely shredded the Cougars. They ran one of the sickest (and slickest) option plays I've ever seen. Shotgun Split formation. QB Slot Triple Option, where he rode the HB, the FB went right like a power option, then the QB followed him right with the slot WR as an option pitch. He pitched it and got like 15, easily. Come to think of it, that play might be in NCAA, but it looked awesome, and flawless.

I would not be shocked to see Air Force threaten for the MWC title this year, and shock a lot of people.

I cannot wait for Boise State, TCU, Nevada and Air Force to all be in the MWC next season (or 2012, depending on when Nevada gets out).

NatureBoy
09-12-2010, 07:33 PM
:South_Carolina: Great win yesterday for my Gamecocks! The are now #13 in the AP Poll, #16 in the Coaches Poll.

Roy38
09-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Your right. I've seen our team trending more towards Kevin Wilson's Northwestern offense which requires a dual-threat QB for the past few years. We recruited Rhett Bomar several years ago to be the perfect fit for his offense, but he got kicked off the team and were left with Paul Thompson to carry the reins for a year until so our young guys could develop. That turned out to be Sam Bradford who was signed as a someone to provide depth behind Bomar - and we all know how that turned out. We're coming full circle again as Landry Jones is fulfilling the White/Bradford role and we signed Blake Bell and Kendall Thompson as dual-threat QB's so you can see where our future is heading.

Off topic: If I was looking for a playbook that included Ace, I-Form, Shotgun, and Pistol, and included plenty of each where would a guy look? I don't know if it's even possible to duplicate what OU is running this year from a playbook standpoint. Off the top of my head, I've seen:
Ace: Big
Ace: Big Twins
Ace: Twin TE
Ace: Trips TE
I-Form: Normal
I-Form: Twins
I-Form: Twin TE
Pistol: Ace
Pistol: Ace Twins
Pistol: Tight
Shotgun: Too Many to Mention