PDA

View Full Version : After Week One, who should be #1?

cdj
09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
With the first week of action in the books, what team do you think should be #1?

- Alabama
- Boise State
- Florida
- Ohio State
- Oklahoma
- TCU
- Texas
- Other

oweb26
09-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Interesting Question, I can say anyone but VT. Acutally this is a great year for Boise or TCU to win it all no team is a certain unlike last year where you had at least three that were really good.

JBHuskers
09-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Since I think preseason polls are worthless, it should be based on the body of work from week one.

My vote would be:

1. Alabama
2. Boise State
3. Ohio State
4. TCU
5. Oregon

But....I would also vote for consistant play as well. So in the early stages, my ballot could drastically change. I just wish the preseason poll would go away.

cdj
09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Polls are difficult no matter what. Technically, it is supposed to represent the best team based on what they have done this season, but history, previous season, the 'name' are huge factors.

Part of me says Alabama as they are the defending champs and loaded, part says Boise as they have the biggest win of the young season. I'm going to vote Boise, but Alabama has the tougher schedule to improve their body of work - but also more likely to lose at some point along the way.

JBHuskers
09-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah Alabama is defending, and still have a good amount of core parts. Same for Boise, and their win a long ways from home at a pro-VT crowd validates my #2 rating. Texas, no way. And that's not the leaving the Big XII bias. Look how many games McCoy won them....until they prove it (and a 17 point win against Rice isn't proving it)....they don't deserve much more than a low-top 10 rank if that.

Oregon and Ohio State did what they were supposed to do, and looked impressive doing so. In talking about drastically changing the poll, if Boise struggles against Wyoming...I'd drop them from 2 to maybe 6 or 7. To me it shouldn't be a ladder system where you only drop one or no slots for eeking out a win.

steelerfan
09-07-2010, 01:08 PM
I agree with you, JB. I like your Top 5, too.

LMAO at the vote for Texas.

morsdraconis
09-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Boise State
Alabama
Ohio State
TCU
etc

TCU looked awful, but played a tough opponent in Oregon State.

Boise State is tops because they deserve it even if I do think Virginia Tech is HIGHLY overrated.

JeffHCross
09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Boise played in the only put up or shut up game. They're #1.

JBHuskers
09-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Who voted for Texas after destroying Rice by 17 :smh:

morsdraconis
09-08-2010, 12:37 AM

Not only did they "destroy" Rice by 17, but they allowed Rice to score the most points on them since 1998 and scored the least amount of points against them since 1999. Pretty freakin' sad showing I must say.

steelerfan
09-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Not only did they "destroy" Rice by 17, but they allowed Rice to score the most points on them since 1998 and scored the least amount of points against them since 1999. Pretty freakin' sad showing I must say.

Yep. My buddy (who bleeds orange) was at the game. I never talk bad about UT, or let him know when I'm hoping they'll lose (B12 Championship last year) because I know it means alot to him. However, he was spouting excuses immediately after the game without me asking. "Game was never in doubt", "Rice's TDs were flukey" etc.

What did he think I was gonna say? PSU let YSU hang around way too long, lol. His unprovoked excuse-making let me know he really wasn't comfortable with the game at all. It's only 1 game, but hey, at least I know what I've got with PSU (a 2-4 loss team).

CLW
09-08-2010, 04:52 AM
Bama. Until the Champs lose they should remain #1.

Rudy
09-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Why is OU even in that poll lol?

I say Bama. Boise does deserve some love and they get Oregon St. at home in two weeks. That's the only other hard game on their schedule.

JBHuskers
09-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Yep. My buddy (who bleeds orange) was at the game. I never talk bad about UT, or let him know when I'm hoping they'll lose (B12 Championship last year) because I know it means alot to him. However, he was spouting excuses immediately after the game without me asking. "Game was never in doubt", "Rice's TDs were flukey" etc.

What did he think I was gonna say? PSU let YSU hang around way too long, lol. His unprovoked excuse-making let me know he really wasn't comfortable with the game at all. It's only 1 game, but hey, at least I know what I've got with PSU (a 2-4 loss team).

Yeah that's kinda like the talk here that Taylor Martinez will be the best Husker quarterback EVER....after the Western Kentucky game....

Myopia FTW

coogrfan
09-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm a firm beliver in the "body of work" theory so BSU was the clear choice. That will likely change as the season goes on, but for right now no one has a more impressive victory than the Broncos.

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm a firm beliver in the "body of work" theory so BSU was the clear choice. That will likely change as the season goes on, but for right now no one has a more impressive victory than the Broncos.Yeah ... like ... now.

cdj
09-11-2010, 10:47 PM

This may be a season where 'win and survive' matters most. I have a feeling our weekly poll may see different teams at #1 and/or #2 each week.

Why is OU even in that poll lol?

I put them in since they had a first-place vote in the AP Poll before last weekend's games.

The next poll may go ten deep since there's been few major (Top 10) upsets the first two weeks, but plenty of poor and/or inconsistent play.

coogrfan
09-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah ... like ... now.

:D

Tough Saturday for the Boise folks. Their signature win was rendered worthless in less than a week.

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 11:21 PM
James Madison = Virginia Tech + 5
Boise State = Virginia Tech + 3
Therefore, James Madison = Boise State + 2

Q.E.D.

:D