PDA

View Full Version : Donny Moore retires

Rudy
07-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Donny Moore retires. He was often criticized as it is a thankless job. It's simply a job way too big for one person imo. I would say 80% of Miami would be well done as are most rosters. Bit fringe players were often missing or poorly rated. I don't know how to fix that other than just have more than one guy and maybe develop a game changer roster community with one member from each team to provide feedback. Picking the right guy would be tough.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/2/8887405/madden-nfl-ratings-czar-donny-moore-retirement

skipwondah33
07-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Extremely tough for one person or even a team of 12.

That's alot of football to watch...to the point where watching football wouldn't even be enjoyable almost

JeffHCross
07-07-2015, 11:22 AM
It's a thankless job and I'm glad he's been around to do it, because I think he's done very well overall. Hate to see him go.

steelerfan
07-07-2015, 01:08 PM
It's a thankless job and I'm glad he's been around to do it, because I think he's done very well overall. Hate to see him go.
Yeah.

I'm not sure how it will go with multiple eyes on it. It could be a big improvement or it could be a cluster fuck.

Hopefully it doesn't become an additional pain in the ass for the guys doing it. I'd hate for it to be a rush job that's done by people who feel they HAVE to do it on top of their "normal job".

On the positive side, I'd LOVE to see a bigger spread in ratings ala FIFA and MLB.

skipwondah33
07-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Yeah.

I'm not sure how it will go with multiple eyes on it. It could be a big improvement or it could be a cluster fuck.

Hopefully it doesn't become an additional pain in the ass for the guys doing it. I'd hate for it to be a rush job that's done by people who feel they HAVE to do it on top of their "normal job".

On the positive side, I'd LOVE to see a bigger spread in ratings ala FIFA and MLB.All of this! And this is without having played much of either game in the past, but just from hearing about them and how players are rated. Understand it may be difficult to accurately rate physical freaks but still.

There just should be a noticeable difference between "insert random CB" covering Calvin Johnson, etc.

Regarding Moore, he helped make roster update watching and the whole process in general cool. Every week I look forward to downloading the excel spreadsheet with the changes while at work.

steelerfan
07-07-2015, 01:57 PM
To give you an idea, Skip, in MLB I've seen minor leaguers rated in the 40s OVR and players in the low 80s are All-Stars.

In FIFA, I've seen youth players (age as low as 15) rated in the high 20s while the highest youth players will be in the high 60s at age 16 to 18. A few will be in the low 70s at that age (note that footballers begin to decline rapidly at age 30). The highest rated player in FIFA 16 is Lionel Messi and he is a 94. Higher than 94 should be reserved for the best of all-time (ie Pele, Maradona etc) not just the top dozen players this year (ala Madden).

CLW
07-09-2015, 03:15 PM
IMHO the best way to go is to some type of computer based analytics type system but never really had a problem with Moore's ratings.

JeffHCross
07-13-2015, 10:08 AM
In line with steeler and Smooth, I've long thought that there needs to be a massive spread in the ratings, though I will say Madden does it better than NCAA, where practically no one is poorly rated out of the box.

jaymo76
07-13-2015, 09:39 PM
In line with steeler and Smooth, I've long thought that there needs to be a massive spread in the ratings, though I will say Madden does it better than NCAA, where practically no one is poorly rated out of the box.

In FIFA I signed a kid from Mexico and put him in my system. He was a 28ovr with 75+ potential. In Madden there should be a four tier system IMO

A- Elite 80-99
B-Above Average 65-79
C- Average 50-64
D-Below Average 0-49

Last year I counted the entire NFL in Madden 15. If memory serves there were no starters below 60 and well over 80% of ALL the players in the league were in the 80's and 90's. For whatever reason Madden refuses to spread the ratings. I suspect like others that the NFL said "no" to stretching the ratings. The No Fun League likes to control everything.

Rudy
07-14-2015, 04:49 AM
What was even worse are the salaries of mod tier guys in free agency. Decent starters in the upper 70s and low 80s could be had for $1.5M a year. That's bogus. All those guys get overpaid in FA and are $3M plus. I did an analysis here on that and argued with looman over it who was dropped from CCM this year. We need more realistic salaries too or my franchise team will never have any holes on it.

jaymo76
07-14-2015, 05:58 PM
What was even worse are the salaries of mod tier guys in free agency. Decent starters in the upper 70s and low 80s could be had for $1.5M a year. That's bogus. All those guys get overpaid in FA and are $3M plus. I did an analysis here on that and argued with looman over it who was dropped from CCM this year. We need more realistic salaries too or my franchise team will never have any holes on it.

The sad reality is that most madden players will play 1 season max so these types of things are not concerns for the Tburon team.

CLW
07-14-2015, 06:04 PM
As a side note, how old is Moore - "retire" seems to be EA spin for quit.

It would be like my old law firm saying I "retired" when I moved to Oklahoma when the reality was I quit.

skipwondah33
07-14-2015, 07:13 PM

It would be like my old law firm saying I "retired" when I moved to Oklahoma when the reality was I quit.

Likely playing up to the sports terminology/idea of retiring from their sport.

"After 16 years it's time to hang up the czar's mouse pad"

Lawyer's also don't say it's time to hang up the ole tie and briefcase either

Hope no one took him as actually retiring from working

steelerfan
07-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Lawyer's also don't say it's time to hang up the ole ball gag and strap-on penis either

Fixed, for accuracy.

skipwondah33
07-14-2015, 07:52 PM
+1

JeffHCross
07-15-2015, 11:32 AM
For whatever reason Madden refuses to spread the ratings. I suspect like others that the NFL said "no" to stretching the ratings. The No Fun League likes to control everything.IMO, it has nothing to do with the NFL. NCAA suffers from the same problem out of the box.

It would be like my old law firm saying I "retired" when I moved to Oklahoma when the reality was I quit.He's been with EA for 16 years ... that's 1999 ... it's possible there could be a pension or something and "retire" could be legitimate. But I don't think anyone would take it as he's never working again. Just not for EA and maybe not in games.

CLW
07-15-2015, 01:35 PM
He's been with EA for 16 years ... that's 1999 ... it's possible there could be a pension or something and "retire" could be legitimate. But I don't think anyone would take it as he's never working again. Just not for EA and maybe not in games.

That is a long time in today's age - however even public employee union members don't get that generous retirement benefits - usually its a minimum 25 years before they can retire - moreover i doubt ea has a pension as those are long gone - 401(k) and maybe some stock options (but i doubt moore is that high up in the company to even get those) is the best he is going to get

steelerfan
07-15-2015, 02:21 PM
For fuck's sake people. Are you that fucking stupid? He didn't retire. He resigned. It was just "cute" wording to make a big deal of it instead of saying "Donny Moore resigned."

Jesus. :fp:

skipwondah33
07-15-2015, 02:33 PM
:D

And as I said playing up to the concept in sports of "retiring" from their sport...you know football...Madden...

ram29jackson
07-16-2015, 12:36 AM
I was packing stuff and forgot I had this

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/COLLECTABLES/maddentv_zps1l1v4vib.jpg (http://s600.photobucket.com/user/ram29jackson/media/COLLECTABLES/maddentv_zps1l1v4vib.jpg.html)

JeffHCross
07-17-2015, 12:01 PM
That is a long time in today's age - however even public employee union members don't get that generous retirement benefits - usually its a minimum 25 years before they can retire - moreover i doubt ea has a pension as those are long gone - 401(k) and maybe some stock options (but i doubt moore is that high up in the company to even get those) is the best he is going to getLockheed's was in place until shortly before I joined in 2007. If he started there in 1999, then he probably has something. Not sure EA would have, but they at least existed then.

But I do agree that 16 years is unlikely to fit the length of time.

For fuck's sake people. Are you that fucking stupid? He didn't retire. He resigned. It was just "cute" wording to make a big deal of it instead of saying "Donny Moore resigned."

Jesus. :fp:Just having a little theoretical discussion. Move along.

steelerfan
07-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Theoretically, he could have been abducted by aliens and EA used a retirement ploy to help Obama cover it up.

Next we can have a theoretical discussion about the possibility that ram is retired!

SCClassof93
07-17-2015, 03:05 PM
I've retired several times.......can't we have a retirement thread, one in theory the other reality???;)