PDA

View Full Version : Masoli cleared to play for Ole Miss

Rudy
09-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Whatever you think about Masoli (SI article that paints a nicer picture http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/07/27/masoli/index.html?eref=sihp) the NCAA seemed heavy handed in denying him eligibility to play this year despite Masoli meeting all the requirements to play at Ole Miss. They said he shouldn't be able to escape punishment at Oregon by jumping to Ole Miss. Well that ruling was overturned and he's be the Ole Miss starting QB.

What I find so hypocritical is that coaches create problems all over the place in NCAA basketball and transfer without penalty. Calipari can create problems at Memphis and skip town to Kentucky and the NCAA does nothing. But Masoli goes to Ole Miss and now there's a problem? Hypocrites.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5528636

JeffHCross
09-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Well, and one of the arguments that was being made in favor of Masoli is that there were 2 or 3 examples in basketball that could be cited of players that were allowed to transfer, despite being in not-the-best-favor at their former school. There were some that were claiming Masoli was being made an example of.

Rudy
09-04-2010, 06:26 PM
If the NCAA doesn't like it then change the rule next year but it was pretty obvious Masoli was being treated differently with this decision.

morsdraconis
09-04-2010, 10:22 PM
And they lost to JACKSONVILLE with him at QB.

Eff his dumb ass and the stupid ass loopholes in the NCAA rules.

JeffHCross
09-04-2010, 10:30 PM
It's not a loophole ... it's a "hole big enough you could drive a truck through". They designed the rule so players could do exactly what he did. The only 'loophole' is that they didn't put any caveat in about him being in good standing with Oregon, the football team.

cdj
09-04-2010, 10:51 PM
How much did Masoli play? I heard he was 6 of 9 or so with 4 carries, so just a couple drives? What a bad loss.

JeffHCross
09-05-2010, 12:42 AM
We were talking about it in the Week 1 thread ... I was fairly certain ESPN implied that he came in late in the 1st half and practically never left the field after that.

SmoothPancakes
09-05-2010, 12:59 AM
We were talking about it in the Week 1 thread ... I was fairly certain ESPN implied that he came in late in the 1st half and practically never left the field after that.

According to ESPN's Play by Play recap, Masoli came in to the game towards the end of each quarter. He first came in at 2:23 in the 1st quarter and led the drive to it's completion at the start of the 2nd before being taken out. Then back in at the start of the Ole Miss drive at 6:56 in the 2nd quarter. Then Masoli was taken back out until 5:07 left in the 3rd. He stayed in for their first drive of the 4th quarter before he was taken back out. And then he was on the field for both overtimes.

If he had been in the entire 2nd half, I was going to say something along the lines of it not necessarily boding well for him at Ole Miss if they go from a 31-10 lead over a FCS opponent to being outscored in the 2nd half 24-3 before losing in double overtime. But since it looks like they did a lot of switching back and forth between Masoli and starter Nathan Stanley, I'm not sure how much blame you can put on Masoli for the 2nd half collapse on the offensive side of the ball.

cdj
09-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Sounds like the old saying from Madden that if you play two QBs, you really have none. 48 pts is nice, but that sounds like too much flip-flopping, especially in a close game.

DariusLock
09-05-2010, 04:47 PM
The offense was good. Stanley had 3 TD passes, Nutt just started running HB dive every play during the 2nd half. Our defense is to blame, we constantly were leaving assignments and letting them get open because we were going for the QB who was rolling out. It was stupid stupid play on D, we could not stop the option or anything. D coordinator needs to get his stuff straight.