PDA

View Full Version : 2015 NHL Playoff Discussion

Hank
04-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Not sure if there's a lot of hockey fans here, but thought I'd start a thread up.

Watched the TB-Det game last night. I thought the Wings outplayed the Lightning but in the end, TB has the more talented team (IMO) and deserved to move on.
Tyler Johnson is a treat to watch. Amazing he was passed over in the draft. But then again, so were NCAA standouts like Johnny Geadreau and Marty St.Louis.
When will the NHL's collective braintrust stop looking at size only. These guys all have immense skill despite not looking like Eric Lindros.
Meanwhile, guys like Brian Boyle go in the first round JUST because he's 6'6". He wishes his pinky had as much talent as Johnson or Johnny Hockey.

Looking forward to the MTL-TB series. I think that one and the Flames-Ducks series will be dandy's.

JeffHCross
04-30-2015, 08:35 AM
The Blues found a way to suck in the playoffs again. Between the six years I spent in DV and the last two in Saint Louis, my local team's track record in the playoffs has not been good lately.

Hoping that the Ducks can make a run, as they're a long-term favorite, especially if those remaining.

A co-worker that is a Montreal fan predicted that the Lightning would move on, despite the fact that at the time I believe they were down 3-2. Impressive prediction.

Hank
04-30-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm a closet Blues fan. They have some really nice depth. Goaltending always seems to be an issue for them, but I also think this is a team, much like Nashville, that needs an offensive catalyst.
Tarasanko has been terrific so hopefully he can be that guy.
But a guy like Backes needs to do more. And if he's not able to be more than a 25goal, 55 point centre, then they need to find that offensive centre. I'm sure they were hoping Stastny was going to be that guy, but clearly he's not.

JeffHCross
04-30-2015, 09:15 AM
I think the Blues other problem is that they try to be a physical, intimidating team. That's tough to keep up for a 7 game series, and sometimes the aggression just isn't there.

steelerfan
04-30-2015, 09:35 AM
I hate Washington and I'm tired of Chicago. Anaheim is feeling stale to me as well and I can't root for the Blue Shirts. I'd hate to see Canada's Cup drought end so I guess I'm left with Minnesota and Tampa Bay. :(

Hank
04-30-2015, 12:56 PM
The NEW NHL

Just throwing this out there and wondering what other hockey fans might think of this.

- NHL expands to 32 teams.
- Schedule is reduced to 62 with every team playing a home-and-away series.
- No divisions or conferences.
- Top 16 teams make the playoffs, seeded 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc.
- Season is over by end of March (Playoffs and all).
- Top NHL team plays the top European/KHL team for 'World Cup(?)'
- all players can be involved in the World Hockey Championships.

Just some ideas.

I would love to see the NHL's best team face Europe's. All games would be in North America (for TV purposes).

I know that'll never happen because the NHL would hate to lose any credibility of being the top hockey league in the world.
But I think it would create the same drama and excitement the '72 Summit Series provided.

JeffHCross
05-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Like you said, it would never happen but there are some advantages to such an idea.