PDA

View Full Version : 2015 MLB Season Talk

Pages : [1] 2

JBHuskers
04-01-2015, 03:13 PM
The season starts Sunday!

JBHuskers
04-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Following in the footsteps of the #1 pick of 2014, the potential #1 pick for the 2015 draft is having Tommy John surgery as well...

http://www.lonestarball.com/2015/4/1/8327239/mike-matuella-mlb-draft-2015

steelerfan
04-06-2015, 08:47 AM
For anyone who has followed my Astros Franchise on The Show, this should not be 'surprising'. :nod:

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/116244992/asher-wojciechowski-surprising-addition-to-astros-rotation

JBHuskers
04-06-2015, 09:23 AM
For anyone who has followed my Astros Franchise on The Show, this should not be 'surprising'. :nod:

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/116244992/asher-wojciechowski-surprising-addition-to-astros-rotation

Gonna have to keep an eye on him. Houston pitchers have been pretty good lately in fantasy baseball.

steelerfan
04-06-2015, 08:43 PM
The Astros scratched out a 2-0 win over Cleveland in their opener tonight. Always good when you can beat the AL Cy Young winner. Hopefully, Houston can crack 80 wins this year. :up:

steelerfan
04-08-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm really happy that the Astros have moved to Root Sports this year. For the last few years they have been on Comcast Sports Network and you had to be a Comcast subscriber to get the games.

That meant that most of Houston (myself included since I have AT&T) could not watch the Astros. Hell, you couldn't even go to a bar and watch them because bars have DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket. It's pitiful how little I've got to see the Astros play the last couple of years and I'm pumped to have the ability to watch them again.

JBHuskers
04-09-2015, 09:22 AM
I'm really happy that the Astros have moved to Root Sports this year. For the last few years they have been on Comcast Sports Network and you had to be a Comcast subscriber to get the games.

That meant that most of Houston (myself included since I have AT&T) could not watch the Astros. Hell, you couldn't even go to a bar and watch them because bars have DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket. It's pitiful how little I've got to see the Astros play the last couple of years and I'm pumped to have the ability to watch them again.

Asher Wojo pitching this afternoon. I'm going to catch a glimpse of him on MLB.TV today.

steelerfan
04-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Asher Wojo pitching this afternoon. I'm going to catch a glimpse of him on MLB.TV today.
Yeah. I'm going to tune in too.
Watched the Indians turn the tables on Houston with a 2-0 win of their own last night. It would be big for the Astros to take the series today.

steelerfan
04-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Wojciechowski just got lifted with 2 on in the 5th. He's already allowed 4 runs including a pair of solo homers. Rough outing.

Also, the Astros have struck out 29 times this season through 4 innings today. 46% of their outs have been Ks. :fp:

steelerfan
04-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Deduno came on for Wojciechowski in the 5th and stranded the 2 runners he inherited so Wojciechowski will finish with 4 innings having allowed 4 runs on 8 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks.

JBHuskers
04-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Not what I was looking for for Asher.

steelerfan
04-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Not what I was looking for for Asher.
No. It's not.

But, just his debut. Maybe things will improve since he got that out of the way.

JBHuskers
04-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Bauer pulled after 6 innings of no-hit ball, but 111 pitches.

JBHuskers
04-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Matt Harvey had some electric stuff in his first outing in 20 months after Tommy John.

steelerfan
04-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Breaking: Indians lose combined no-hit bid with 1 out in 9th on HR by Astros SS Jed Lowrie off reliever Nick Hagadone.

The Astros ended with just the one hit. They were hitting .127 before this game. :fp:

steelerfan
04-13-2015, 10:27 PM
With a tired bullpen, Wojciechowski pitched multiple innings in relief tonight. This on the eve of what was to be his second start. AJ Hinch just said that Brad Peacock will start tomorrow. Peacock is just coming off the DL so I think Wojciechowski is headed to AAA.

JeffHCross
04-14-2015, 08:42 AM
For the last few years they have been on Comcast Sports Network and you had to be a Comcast subscriber to get the games. That's really strange. Comcast Sports Net is where the Nationals are in DC, but it's not exclusive to Comcast by any means.

steelerfan
04-14-2015, 12:43 PM
That's really strange. Comcast Sports Net is where the Nationals are in DC, but it's not exclusive to Comcast by any means.
Yeah. Comcast was trying to gouge the other providers to carry CSN. The other providers called their bluff and Comcast found out that Houstonians generally don't care enough about the Astros and Rockets to switch providers.

JBHuskers
04-14-2015, 02:17 PM
With a tired bullpen, Wojciechowski pitched multiple innings in relief tonight. This on the eve of what was to be his second start. AJ Hinch just said that Brad Peacock will start tomorrow. Peacock is just coming off the DL so I think Wojciechowski is headed to AAA.

Yeah I dropped him in the one league I had him in. I'll always keep an eye on him though because I think he's got stellar stuff. It just takes time with some guys.

steelerfan
04-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Yeah I dropped him in the one league I had him in. I'll always keep an eye on him though because I think he's got stellar stuff. It just takes time with some guys.
He was great last night. 4 shutout innings.

jaymo76
04-14-2015, 09:38 PM
Really struggling with getting a feel for the Jays this year. They look like world beaters one day and then struggle to get a hit. Love the Castro kid but the rest of the team I not so sure about. A lot of big changes in the offseason...

steelerfan
04-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Well, JB, Brad Peacock is back on the 15-day DL and Asher Wojciechowski is back in Houston. :D

Rudy
04-17-2015, 08:35 PM
A lot of people taking shots at Bryant for the Cubs after a bad debut but he was a stud in AAA last year and in spring training. I find it funny that Epstein said they like to hold kids back to avoid the pressure and all this stunt did was put more pressure after Boras went nuts. Plus they batted him cleanup! First time a players first game at cleanup since Monday in 2003.

steelerfan
04-17-2015, 09:46 PM
It wasn't really a stunt, keeping Bryant down. It was a matter of keeping him down long enough to assure that he won't accrue enough days this year to get a year of Service Time. It's the smart move because it will delay his ability to become a Free Agent by an additional year.

Bryant will be fine.

Rudy
04-18-2015, 06:37 AM
It wasn't really a stunt, keeping Bryant down. It was a matter of keeping him down long enough to assure that he won't accrue enough days this year to get a year of Service Time. It's the smart move because it will delay his ability to become a Free Agent by an additional year.

Bryant will be fine.

I thought it was the wrong decision to keep him down solely based on money since he was one of their best players. Cheap move they denied was based on salary but rather pressure. Bogus.

steelerfan
04-18-2015, 11:19 AM
I thought it was the wrong decision to keep him down solely based on money since he was one of their best players. Cheap move they denied was based on salary but rather pressure. Bogus.
Eh. Every club does it. It doesn't have to do with money, it has to do with keeping Bryant tied to the Cubs organization for another year.

Rudy
04-18-2015, 07:40 PM
The Tigers don't. They call guys up as soon as they think they can help and I haven't seen them do anything like that in recent history. Dave Dombrowski doesn't operate like that. This was so blatant it was brutal.

steelerfan
04-18-2015, 09:37 PM
The Tigers don't. They call guys up as soon as they think they can help and I haven't seen them do anything like that in recent history. Dave Dombrowski doesn't operate like that. This was so blatant it was brutal.
You may be right, but I have my doubts. If you are right they are incredibly stupid. If you can provide a laundry list of Tigers rookies that have been on an Opening Day roster in recent years, I will concede that the Tigers are dumb. ;)

Just because you don't know something is happening (a player being kept down because of service time) doesn't mean it isn't. :)

Rudy
04-19-2015, 04:42 AM
The Tigers have given a lot of their top picks in recent years MLB deals right out of the gate to get them to sign. That includes guys like Porcello and Castellanos. If a decision is close they will send down the kid with options but they have never hesitated to keep the best players on the team. The Tigers haven't had a ton of super youngsters the last few years but they have been chasing the World Series heavily since 2006. Everything they do is about winning it, not saving a few bucks. Illitch is not in great health and they don't give a damn about saving a year in arbitration.

With Bryant clearly being one of their best players the Cubs looked like a very small time team with that move. I could understand if he was bottom half of the roster talented but he was one of their best position players.

steelerfan
04-19-2015, 07:30 AM
I think you still don't understand why the Cubs did this. It has NOTHING to do with saving a few bucks.

The Cubs are building a team to win (perhaps you're unfamiliar with Epstein's previous work). This move is about keeping Bryant tied to the Cubs through 2021 instead of having him become a Free Agent after 2020.

Two questions. Why do you keep saying it's about saving a few bucks (incidentally, NO ONE should feel sorry for MLB players who get GUARANTEED money based on past performance)? Second, do you truly believe that 17 days in 2015 is worth potentially losing Bryant a full year earlier (after 2020 instead of after 2021)?

souljahbill
04-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Steelerfan is right. It was 2 weeks. Everyone acts like he missed 1/2 the season. Baseball season is LONG. The first 2 weeks are meaningless because there's SOOOOO much time to catch up if you're in the whole. 2 weeks to save a year is smart management.

Rudy
04-19-2015, 12:23 PM
It saves money because you keep him for another year under arbitration figures rather than open market. And I'm not arguing against the fact the Cubs will get a huge benefit here. But you are wrong in thinking every other team would have done it imo.

Some teams like the Angels used the cba to lowball Trout initially and offer the minimum for exclusive rights contract. Other clubs like the Yankees pay their young stars (Jeter is an example) more than they had to early on simply because they felt it was fair and also possibly not to anger them down the road. Clearly the Cubs are not the Yankees. Yes you can use the cba to screw over the players as much as you can but that stuff won't be forgotten.

They still have his rights for a long time regardless. You guys act as though a rookie never makes the opening day roster.

steelerfan
04-19-2015, 05:07 PM
I'm fairly certain that the Cubs will pay Bryant when he performs at the Major League level (just like the Indians have worth their young pitchers). It's not about saving money, it's about retaining his rights.

SmoothPancakes
04-19-2015, 07:40 PM
Yeah, it has nothing to do with saving money. It's solely about keeping the kid locked up for an entire extra year. Now they have him locked up through 2021 and have that extra season to use him as a piece of a potential World Series team (assuming the rest of their prospects and trades come together as projected).

#TheScriptIsDead

steelerfan
04-19-2015, 11:30 PM
For the record, the Cubs would have to have waited until June to bring Bryant up to prevent an extra year of arbitration.

Again, saving a few bucks was not the motivation.

steelerfan
04-19-2015, 11:33 PM
Also, Bryant is hitting .300 after 3 games.

So, despite a rough debut, I think it can be said that the "pressure" some purport that the Cubs and/or Boras put on him is a non-factor.

JBHuskers
04-20-2015, 10:11 AM
There are two sides of the ball though, and his play on the field at 3B has been phenomenal.

The league adjusted from spring training, and how it's Bryant's turn to adjust.

steelerfan
04-22-2015, 12:57 AM
How about those first place Houston Astros? 8-6 and winners of 4 in a row!

JBHuskers
04-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Bryant has been pretty good since that bad debut I'd say.

steelerfan
04-22-2015, 11:51 PM
The Astros lost 3-2 in Seattle tonight so they couldn't get the sweep. However, the pitching this team has has been brilliant. The bullpen, which led the Majors in blown saves last season, was second in the AL in ERA coming into tonight.

Houston is playing pretty well and no one, aside from Marisnick and Altuve, is really hitting with much consistency yet. When they get the bats going a little, they will be tough.

I'm still optimistic about them getting 81 wins. At least, things are heading in the right direction.

JBHuskers
04-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Cubs are the only team in the MLB to have not lost back to back games.

JBHuskers
04-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Who would have thought a tenth of the way into the MLB season that the Mets are on their way to a 13-3 record. #WOW

steelerfan
04-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Who would have thought a tenth of the way into the MLB season that the Mets are on their way to a 13-3 record. #WOW
Yeah, no kidding. Wow is right.

JBHuskers
04-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Cubs are the only team in the MLB to have not lost back to back games.

Well I jinxed that one :D

Hank
04-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Insider claims (http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/04/24/josh-hamilton-leaving-los-angeles-angels) Hamilton won't play another inning for the Angels.

He has a guaranteed contract so I wonder if they're buying him out (is that even possible?) or perhaps Hamilton is allowing this to get a fresh start somewhere else.

I admit, I'm a big fan of Hamilton's. I have my doubts, but I hope he can come back and at least be a factor for some team.

Rudy
04-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Hamilton has not lived up to his contract. It feels as though the Angels are going to use this as a way to escape it. When is Hamilton coming back?

Hank
04-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Hamilton has not lived up to his contract. It feels as though the Angels are going to use this as a way to escape it. When is Hamilton coming back?

Early June I believe.
He'll never be what he was in 2010-2012. He can't come close to hitting LHP anymore and his defense is suspect.
But I think he could be useful for a team looking for OF depth and a left-handed stick to come off the bench against RHP.
He's severely overpaid though. That's not really his fault. The Angels owner personally flew in to woo him away from Texas. It was reported that Hamilton didn't want to go Anaheim to begin with, but Moreno insisted and pursued him with a vengeance.
If he's having buyers remorse now, it's his own fault.

JBHuskers
04-24-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm sure he'll get it back together. Getting away from being close to LA would definitely help.

steelerfan
04-24-2015, 04:43 PM
He didn't want to go, but Moreno insisted? :D

He chased the money (and who can blame him?). If he didn't want to go, he would have told the Angels to piss off.

plotty
04-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Royals win 2015 World Series because they play harder and piss everyone off

JBHuskers
04-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Sounds like LAA is trading Hamilton to TEX

SmoothPancakes
04-24-2015, 06:18 PM
More like the Royals need to chill the hell out before they all end up suspended. Playing like a bunch of jackasses.

#TheScriptIsDead

steelerfan
04-24-2015, 07:08 PM
More like the Royals need to chill the hell out before they all end up suspended. Playing like a bunch of jackasses.

#TheScriptIsDead
Yep.

SmoothPancakes
04-24-2015, 07:12 PM
The whole thing with Lawrie, alright, whatever, it may have been a questionable slide, I don't think it was intentional. The whole thing with Herrera throwing behind his head TWO days later, that was just bullshit and he deserved to get tossed without a warning. Now they're going and picking fights with the White Sox.

It's one thing to play hard, maybe play with a chip on their shoulder, whatever. It's another thing sitting there getting in benches clearing brawls, throwing behind the head of batters, getting players tossed and likely suspended every game. What the Royals are doing now is going beyond playing with a chip on their shoulder. I'm starting to lose any care of what happens to the Royals and their players, and I was rooting for them every game of the playoffs last year.

#TheScriptIsDead

steelerfan
04-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Yep.

The Royals are going from very likeable to very asshole-ish quickly.

As I recently heard, Straight Outta Kauffman. :D

JeffHCross
04-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Yep.

The Royals are going from very likeable to very asshole-ish quickly.

As I recently heard, Straight Outta Kauffman. :DI can confirm these are available for purchase...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/shopsilentempire/images/products/1244/1-small.jpg

steelerfan
04-25-2015, 01:57 PM
I can confirm these are available for purchase...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/shopsilentempire/images/products/1244/1-small.jpg
:fp: :D :smh:

steelerfan
04-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Houston is 4-1 on their 9 game road trip after today's 9-3 win in Oakland.

10-7 and still in first in the AL WEST!

steelerfan
04-26-2015, 06:34 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/26/1654f8d9bcc2071e4cc39e7b424eee90.jpg

Suck it, Oakland!

The Astros are 11-7! :))

souljahbill
04-26-2015, 07:51 PM
The whole thing with Lawrie, alright, whatever, it may have been a questionable slide, I don't think it was intentional. The whole thing with Herrera throwing behind his head TWO days later, that was just bullshit and he deserved to get tossed without a warning. Now they're going and picking fights with the White Sox.

It's one thing to play hard, maybe play with a chip on their shoulder, whatever. It's another thing sitting there getting in benches clearing brawls, throwing behind the head of batters, getting players tossed and likely suspended every game. What the Royals are doing now is going beyond playing with a chip on their shoulder. I'm starting to lose any care of what happens to the Royals and their players, and I was rooting for them every game of the playoffs last year.

#TheScriptIsDead

What do you expect from the team that represents Ferguson, MO?

steelerfan
04-26-2015, 08:08 PM
What do you expect from the team that represents Ferguson, MO?
RIOT!

JBHuskers
04-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Chi Sox and Baltimore will play tomorrow afternoon CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC. I have the MLB.TV package so I'll have to tune into this one to see how it is to watch a MLB game in a completely empty stadium.

steelerfan
04-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Chi Sox and Baltimore will play tomorrow afternoon CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC. I have the MLB.TV package so I'll have to tune into this one to see how it is to watch a MLB game in a completely empty stadium.
Should have watched the Astros in the last few years to find out.

This year though? 12-7 with a 3-game lead in the AL West!

JBHuskers
04-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Should have watched the Astros in the last few years to find out.

This year though? 12-7 with a 3-game lead in the AL West!

Hell most of the Tampa Bay games when they were good even :D

steelerfan
04-28-2015, 08:46 PM
Hell most of the Tampa Bay games when they were good even :D
True dat!

steelerfan
04-29-2015, 12:24 AM
So the Astros keep rolling. They're leading the Padres 14-3 going to the bottom of the 9th. Assuming a historic collapse is not forthcoming, the Astros are about to improve to 7-1 on this west coast trip, having won 5 in a row.

Houston will also improve to 12-0 when scoring 4+ runs and 11-0 when scoring first. They lead the Majors in steals and are tied for the lead in home runs. The list goes on and on.

JBHuskers
04-29-2015, 01:02 PM
The closed-to-the-public White Sox / O's game is the free game of the day on MLB.TV

http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/index.jsp?c_id=mlb

JBHuskers
04-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Cool thing about the empty stadium game, you can hear the chatter in the dugout.

JBHuskers
04-29-2015, 01:25 PM

steelerfan
04-29-2015, 05:32 PM
Astros complete a 3-game sweep in San Diego with a 7-2 win. Houston went 8-1 on the west coast, the best 9-game road trip in club history.

Houston scored 30 runs in 3 games at Petco.

Hank
04-30-2015, 08:24 AM
Astros complete a 3-game sweep in San Diego with a 7-2 win. Houston went 8-1 on the west coast, the best 9-game road trip in club history.

Houston scored 30 runs in 3 games at Petco.

Was it SI that predicted the Astro's would be WS champs in 2016?
I remember that article and the writer did a great job researching the GM, coach and all the talent they had in the minor leagues.
Now, if only they'd go back to being the Colt '45s! ;)

steelerfan
04-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Was it SI that predicted the Astro's would be WS champs in 2016?
I remember that article and the writer did a great job researching the GM, coach and all the talent they had in the minor leagues.
Now, if only they'd go back to being the Colt '45s! ;)
Yes, but it was 2017. And, technically, the article you are referring to (Astro - Matic Baseball) was in the same SI issue but wasn't the fantasy article about the 2017 WS.

Both were good reads though.

steelerfan
04-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Astros win again, 3-2 over the Mariners. 15-7. Unreal.

It's been ALOT of fun to watch!

CLW
05-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Astros win again, 3-2 over the Mariners. 15-7. Unreal.

It's been ALOT of fun to watch!

Yep the 'Stros are undefeated when I am in attendance (including last night).

steelerfan
05-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Yep the 'Stros are undefeated when I am in attendance (including last night).
Conversely, they've been crap since you moved here so we're waiting anxiously for your upcoming move away. ;)

steelerfan
05-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Astros now 16-7 with their 8th straight win!

CLW
05-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Conversely, they've been crap since you moved here so we're waiting anxiously for your upcoming move away. ;)

7/1/15

steelerfan
05-02-2015, 07:42 PM
7/1/15
Good timing! ;)

steelerfan
05-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Astros at it again. Leading the M's 9-3 in the 5th. 4 Houston long balls tonight. :)

JeffHCross
05-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Yes, but it was 2017. And, technically, the article you are referring to (Astro - Matic Baseball) was in the same SI issue but wasn't the fantasy article about the 2017 WS.

Both were good reads though.I'm glad you two talked about those articles, I read both tonight. Particularly interested in the Astro-matic article given my recent fascination with analytics. Might have to send my resume yo Houston unsolicited :D

steelerfan
05-03-2015, 01:54 AM
I'm glad you two talked about those articles, I read both tonight. Particularly interested in the Astro-matic article given my recent fascination with analytics. Might have to send my resume yo Houston unsolicited :D
Yeah, that was a very interesting read.

steelerfan
05-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Astros complete a 4-game sweep of the Mariners to run their streak to 10 in a row. Houston has won 14 of 15.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/ef4e83af07f7d1cdb5a9801c7d090d1b.jpg

JBHuskers
05-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Good thing they're not in the NL Central any more :D

JeffHCross
05-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Agreed, JB! :D

steelerfan
05-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Actually, JB, with Houston and the Cubs trending upwards, maybe we can have a World Series meeting in a few years. :)

JBHuskers
05-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Actually, JB, with Houston and the Cubs trending upwards, maybe we can have a World Series meeting in a few years. :)

That would be pretty epic.

steelerfan
05-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Astros win streak ends at 10 with a 2-1 loss to Texas.

SmoothPancakes
05-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Well. The Cubs are supposed to win the World Series this year, according to Back to the Future II. And Astros are playing the fuck out of their minds. It could happen this season!

#TheScriptIsDead

steelerfan
05-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Well. The Cubs are supposed to win the World Series this year, according to Back to the Future II. And Astros are playing the fuck out of their minds. It could happen this season!

#TheScriptIsDead
Quantum Leap correctly had the Steelers in Super Bowl XXX so who knows?

Hank
05-06-2015, 10:30 AM
That was a great show!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BMGY3AVNL.jpg

steelerfan
05-06-2015, 12:12 PM
:up:

Rudy
05-06-2015, 03:36 PM
I remember them doing Quantum Leap week to get more viewers. They did a show every night to get more exposure and it worked. Not sure why networks don't try that more often with good shows struggling to find viewers.

steelerfan
05-08-2015, 10:39 AM
The Astros scored 3 in the ninth last night to pull out a 3-2 win in Anaheim, ending their 3-game skid. Houston is 15-8 against the AL West this year.

JeffHCross
05-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Not to rain on the Astros parade, but I found this very interesting in a recent Grantland article (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-houston-astros-10-stats-to-explain-first-place-start/)

But it’s important to remember that it’s still early, and that the Astros haven’t actually earned anything yet. Even the 70-win 2014 Astros had a 27-game stretch in which they went 17-10 with a plus-24 run differential, not far from what this year’s team has achieved. And last season alone, six teams that missed the playoffs (Toronto, Tampa Bay, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Seattle, and Colorado) had 27-game stretches in which they won at least 18 games while posting better run differentials than Houston has recorded.

steelerfan
05-10-2015, 12:11 PM
As I type this, the Astros are 20-11 which is best in the American League and second to only St. Louis. They have a 6 game lead in their division and no one else in the division is turning any heads.

Houston has the second lowest payroll and the second best record, just to get that out there.

My personal expectations before the season began were for the Astros to win 80-82 games this year. The additions to their lineup and the makeover of the bullpen warranted that level of optimism.

It's easy to look at Houston and see their record last season and assume they were crap. However, they had the worst bullpen in baseball. They had more blown saves than anyone in baseball. Cleaning that up would add alot of wins.

They did makeover the bullpen and they are winning with power, speed and pitching. Can they keep it up? I don't know but I don't see why they can't have a very good season and the future is VERY bright.

JeffHCross
05-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Yeah, either way it bodes well for the future. The thing that led me to post that quote was that I never imagined that combination of teams had similar streaks at one point or another last season. I mean, those were some bad teams...

Hoping Houston has, at the very least, turned around their long term prospects.

steelerfan
05-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Yeah, lol. Not a good list.

It's a LONG season. I'm just happy to have Houston in this position this far into the season.

Hank
05-11-2015, 01:54 PM
The Astros scored 3 in the ninth last night to pull out a 3-2 win in Anaheim, ending their 3-game skid. Houston is 15-8 against the AL West this year.

Huston Street blew that Save and it hosed me in the pool that week! ;)

JBHuskers
05-11-2015, 02:33 PM
#1 overall pick in 2012, Carlos Correa is promoted to AAA as he patiently waits on my bench in three fantasy leagues :nod:

steelerfan
05-11-2015, 08:21 PM
#1 overall pick in 2012, Carlos Correa is promoted to AAA as he patiently waits on my bench in three fantasy leagues :nod:
I'm excited to see what he can do. :)

JBHuskers
05-11-2015, 08:24 PM
I'm excited to see what he can do. :)
Makes 2 of us ;)

steelerfan
05-15-2015, 10:02 PM
23-13. Ten games over .500. :)

JBHuskers
05-16-2015, 01:47 AM
If the Astros and Cubs make the World Series. That would be epic.

SmoothPancakes
05-16-2015, 04:41 AM
If? Cubs are winning the World Series!

#TheScriptIsDead

steelerfan
05-16-2015, 10:24 AM
If? Cubs are winning the World Series!

#TheScriptIsDead
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/16/c972c312c7a719c793702934579c4e34.jpg

JBHuskers
05-16-2015, 12:01 PM
http://www.verbicidemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/cubs-win-ws-miami-back-to-the-future-2.jpg

SmoothPancakes
05-16-2015, 01:23 PM
http://www.verbicidemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/cubs-win-ws-miami-back-to-the-future-2.jpg
:nod:
:+1:

#TheScriptIsDead

steelerfan
05-16-2015, 01:47 PM
In what fictional world are the Cubs playing Miami in the World Series? :D

SmoothPancakes
05-16-2015, 04:20 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/16/47b5791759b18669fc2ff8a46aca1b4c.jpg

#TheScriptIsDead

JeffHCross
05-16-2015, 08:01 PM
In what fictional world are the Cubs playing Miami in the World Series? :DBack To The Future. Duh.

Considering there wasn't even a Miami team when the movie was made, lol.

steelerfan
05-16-2015, 09:30 PM
24-13. Tied for the best 37-game record in Astros history. More bombs today (Gattis, Carter, Gonzalez). 55 on the year, leading the Majors (at least at the moment 55 landed).

steelerfan
05-17-2015, 03:39 PM
25-13 and Houston's second 4-game sweep of the season. See ya, Toronto!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/17/c3911816e75a7a316138aee5e831be76.jpg

steelerfan
05-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Rays' Class-A Charlotte team cancels "A-Rod Juice Box" promotion and issues apology after a complaint by Yankees.

:D:D:D

steelerfan
05-22-2015, 11:30 PM
http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/4645097-andrew-mccutchen-pay-stub-leak-pittsburgh-pirates-deadspin-reddit?utm_source=mweb&utm_medium=mweb

JBHuskers
05-22-2015, 11:46 PM
http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/4645097-andrew-mccutchen-pay-stub-leak-pittsburgh-pirates-deadspin-reddit?utm_source=mweb&utm_medium=mweb
Wish that was my pay stub. :smh:

JeffHCross
05-22-2015, 11:48 PM
Screw that, I'll aim lower and not be greedy. I wish that was my yearly stub. :D

steelerfan
05-23-2015, 12:31 AM
Nm.

steelerfan
05-23-2015, 12:32 AM
Uncensored version so ram can stalk him.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/22/535367237c8450ac7066c9abde9e588f.jpg

SmoothPancakes
05-23-2015, 03:19 AM
Goddamn, talk about taking it up the ass on taxes and deductions.

#TheScriptIsDead

JBHuskers
05-26-2015, 02:53 PM
My ASG Ballot:

http://i.imgur.com/UIbCpVT.png

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2015, 06:05 AM
Somebody had fun on their birthday!

Hank
06-01-2015, 08:59 AM
I'm honestly a bit shocked at the level of A-Rod revelry this season.
I listen to MLB on XM quite a bit, as well as Baseball Tonight and other baseball shows. Very few commentators or hosts are willing to discuss the fact that A-Rod has been caught cheating with PEDs twice, and there is a mountain of evidence to suggest he's been juicing his entire career.
Instead, they say things like "We know his history with PEDs, but what he's doing this year is amazing".

I think it's quite obvious that A-Rod is still on the Diesel. The man has made over $600M in his career and just had an entire year off to do nothing.
Nobody can tell me that he didn't use his wealth and free time to search out the best chemist he can find.
I think every HR and hit he's accumulated was done through a needle and I wish some of these talking heads would finally address it.
Even if they don't believe he's dirty right now, I feel it's erroneous to not mention that there's at least a chance that he's still juicing now.

IMO, the only way A-Rod could have proven he's clean if he voluntarily signed-up to be part of VADA testing. They take blood at any time, night or day, and store that blood for eternity.
If new screens become available, they'll test old blood against them. So an athlete that may appear clean today, could be found guilty 20 years from now when screening tests improve.
Michael Phelps and boxer Nonito Donaire are two athletes I know of who are part of the program.
Surely A-Rod has enough money to afford that on his own. And it would got a LONG way to prove he's clean.

But if I had to bet my own money, I'd put all my cash down that he's been chemically enhanced since high school.

JBHuskers
06-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Somebody had fun on their birthday!

So that's what :sf: has been doing...

steelerfan
06-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Lol. Orbit.

JBHuskers
06-01-2015, 10:58 AM
As they normally do at the ballpark, they announce birthdays for people in attendance in the park.

At Petco Park over the weekend, they wished happy birthday to Dick Fitzer :D

steelerfan
06-01-2015, 10:59 AM
:D

JeffHCross
06-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Grantland.com article on Houston's return to competitive baseball. Well worth a read, especially for Steeler
http://grantland.com/features/2015-mlb-houston-astros-surprising-breakthrough-season-al-west/

steelerfan
06-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Grantland.com article on Houston's return to competitive baseball. Well worth a read, especially for Steeler
http://grantland.com/features/2015-mlb-houston-astros-surprising-breakthrough-season-al-west/
Very good read, Jeff. Thank you for sharing that. I think the next decade or so is going to be a good time to be an Astros fan. I'm also glad, from an analytics angle, that you've taken some interest in what is brewing down here in Houston. :up:

JBHuskers
06-05-2015, 12:28 PM
As long as they either keep their pitching or continue to develop new stars like McCullers, they're going to be a force. Free agents will want to come there now.

steelerfan
06-05-2015, 12:51 PM
As long as they either keep their pitching or continue to develop new stars like McCullers, they're going to be a force. Free agents will want to come there now.
The thing is this:

C Castro
1B Singleton
2B Altuve
3B ?
SS Correa
LF ? Maybe Tucker or Santana
CF Marisnick
RF Springer

They have young talent (some of it potentially very high-level talent) all over the diamond.

I'm excited about the draft on Monday and I'm glad I cursed Brady Aiken too. :)

JBHuskers
06-05-2015, 03:06 PM
The thing is this:

C Castro
1B Singleton
2B Altuve
3B ?
SS Correa
LF ? Maybe Tucker or Santana
CF Marisnick
RF Springer

They have young talent (some of it potentially very high-level talent) all over the diamond.

I'm excited about the draft on Monday and I'm glad I cursed Brady Aiken too. :)

I'm not completely sold on Singleton at all.

steelerfan
06-05-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm not completely sold on Singleton at all.
I believe Jeff Luhnow is and I'll take his word for now. ;)

Even if Singleton bombs, there are very few positions of need, alot of budget room and 2 top 5 picks next week. :)

jaymo76
06-05-2015, 08:35 PM
Very good read, Jeff. Thank you for sharing that. I think the next decade or so is going to be a good time to be an Astros fan. I'm also glad, from an analytics angle, that you've taken some interest in what is brewing down here in Houston. :up:

Think it's time for a big TGT House party/baseball game/ pub crawl with Steeler as the host. :nod:

steelerfan
06-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Think it's time for a big TGT House party/baseball game/ pub crawl with Steeler as the host. :nod:
Let's get this team a little more seasoning first. :up:

Rudy
06-06-2015, 03:51 AM
The Tigers are really struggling right now. Verlander is still hurt as is Victor Martinez and Sanchez has pitched poorly. Their bats have been cold for far too long. They are. 500 right now.

JeffHCross
06-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Very good read, Jeff. Thank you for sharing that. I think the next decade or so is going to be a good time to be an Astros fan. I'm also glad, from an analytics angle, that you've taken some interest in what is brewing down here in Houston. :up:Well, I do love the analytics.

jaymo76
06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Damn! Jays sweep the "Stros this weekend. Toronto played some excellent baseball. If they can get the pitching they can be a real nice ball club.

steelerfan
06-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Damn! Jays sweep the "Stros this weekend. Toronto played some excellent baseball. If they can get the pitching they can be a real nice ball club.
:(

steelerfan
06-07-2015, 07:59 PM
MLB: Astros to recall 2012 No. 1 overall pick SS Carlos Correa on Monday; .332 BA with 10 HR in minors this season.

:))

JBHuskers
06-08-2015, 02:06 PM
MLB: Astros to recall 2012 No. 1 overall pick SS Carlos Correa on Monday; .332 BA with 10 HR in minors this season.

:))

And I have him in all three of my money leagues :nod:

steelerfan
06-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Astros: RHP Vincent Velasquez called up from Double-A where he was 3-0 with 1.47 ERA; will start Wednesday vs. White Sox.

JBHuskers
06-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Astros: RHP Vincent Velasquez called up from Double-A where he was 3-0 with 1.47 ERA; will start Wednesday vs. White Sox.

Short term fill-in?

steelerfan
06-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Short term fill-in?
I'm not sure. If he does what McCullers has done then no.

In other news:

Astros: Carlos Correa to bat 6th and play SS in MLB debut Monday against White Sox; No. 1 overall pick in 2012 draft.

JBHuskers
06-08-2015, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure. If he does what McCullers has done then no.

In other news:

Astros: Carlos Correa to bat 6th and play SS in MLB debut Monday against White Sox; No. 1 overall pick in 2012 draft.

I'm going to try to tune in to watch his debut.

steelerfan
06-08-2015, 04:55 PM
I'm going to try to tune in to watch his debut.
Yeah, I'll be tuning in. :)

SmoothPancakes
06-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Sons of bitches. The top two shortstops get taken by Arizona and Houston just ahead of Colorado, who is probably gonna need a shortstop with the endless Tulowitzki trade rumors.

Sons of bitches.

SmoothPancakes
06-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Alright, Brendan Rogers will have to do.

JBHuskers
06-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Alright, Brendan Rogers will have to do.
Yeah he's not shabby either :D it's a SS heavy draft.

I'm happy with the Cubs taking Happ from the U. Of Cincy. Dude has pop and can get on base. Could be a utility player for Maddon like Ben Zobrist was in TB.

SmoothPancakes
06-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Yeah he's not shabby either :D it's a SS heavy draft.

I'm happy with the Cubs taking Happ from the U. Of Cincy. Dude has pop and can get on base. Could be a utility player for Maddon like Ben Zobrist was in TB.
Thankfully. Still would have preferred one of the first two guys. Thankfully the Rockies went after best player, who happened to be shortstop. May take a while longer though since he's coming out of high school and the first two guys were college players.

JBHuskers
06-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Thankfully. Still would have preferred one of the first two guys. Thankfully the Rockies went after best player, who happened to be shortstop. May take a while longer though since he's coming out of high school and the first two guys were college players.
Wasn't a surprise they went 1-2 though.

SmoothPancakes
06-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Wasn't a surprise they went 1-2 though.
No, it wasn't. I was just hoping one of them would drop, especially since the Astros already have Correa. Though, word is the Astros plan to move Bergman to 2B.

JBHuskers
06-08-2015, 07:49 PM
No, it wasn't. I was just hoping one of them would drop, especially since the Astros already have Correa. Though, word is the Astros plan to move Bergman to 2B.
:sf: says they might move Correa to 3B eventually.

SmoothPancakes
06-08-2015, 08:00 PM
:sf: says they might move Correa to 3B eventually.
Ah, I didn't hear about that. Alright, so that could also open up a spot at SS.

Reading more about Rodgers, I'm liking what I'm hearing. Being compared to Addison Russell and Johnny Peralta, #1 prospect on MLB.com's Top 200 list, projected to be a first division starter and occasional All-Star with a 2018 MLB ETA.

steelerfan
06-09-2015, 01:15 AM
Good news, Smooth, the Astros and Rockies are being called the big winners from day 1.

SmoothPancakes
06-09-2015, 05:13 AM
Good news, Smooth, the Astros and Rockies are being called the big winners from day 1.
I saw that! Now that I've read up more on Branden Rodgers, I'm actually cool with the pick now. Sounds like the Rockies got a guy who could turn out to be just as good, maybe possibly better, than the two SS taken ahead of him.

Also got a good pick in Mike Nikorak, who adds to a number of promising future arms in the minors. Of course, going all high school kids in Colorado's four picks, it'll be a good 3+ years before any of them are possibly even in a position to crack the majors, but, hey, sucking for years and loading up on talent in the draft is paying off for the Cubs and Astros! Hopefully the Rockies can find the same draft/farm system magic.

I'm looking forward to playing with the Rockies picks. Since I've been too busy at work lately to start up my Rockies franchise in The Show, I spent a couple hours last night pulling first round draftees from the OS roster and player makers and importing them into my master roster I intend to use for my franchise.

I was only able to get the first rounders for all teams, along with Daz Cameron for Houston, but I'm probably not going to be too concerned with players from the second (and later) rounds, other than the four picks Colorado made last night, as I'm mainly looking at the players who are most likely to make the majors and not become organizational fillers and career minors players, which are much more likely to be the first round players than players from other rounds.

Since I'm going to be doing this as a year to year save yearly carryover franchise, having the first round draft picks (and all of Colorado's day one picks) from this year will be a nice added touch going into future seasons.

JBHuskers
06-09-2015, 10:03 AM
The Cubs went with a solid pick in round one with Happ, but word is they knocked it out of the park in round 2....

The Cubs landed one of college baseball's top performers this spring in North Florida outfielder Donnie Dewees (No. 35 on the Top 200), who hit .422 and led NCAA Division I in runs (88), hits (106), total bases (188) and slugging (.749) entering Super Regional play. He combines an advanced approach at the plate with solid power and plus speed.

SmoothPancakes
06-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Nice, sounds like a hell of a pick.

jaymo76
06-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Jays are on fire! They are now 33-30 and have won 10 straight games. They are a very exciting team from an offensive stndpoint.

Rudy
06-14-2015, 04:07 AM
The Jays always catch fire and then crash and burn while the front office sits on their cash and let's it happen. If they are truly serious then they will go out and get some pitching. Trade some prospects and make a run.

jaymo76
06-14-2015, 08:41 PM
The Jays always catch fire and then crash and burn while the front office sits on their cash and let's it happen. If they are truly serious then they will go out and get some pitching. Trade some prospects and make a run.

Agreed with the pitching. It is the only scary art of this team. Also, I think it's time to move Dickey. I have never been a huge fan and this season has not done a lot to comfort me. Someone younger who with time could develop into a top three pitcher would be ideal.

steelerfan
06-14-2015, 08:47 PM
The Jays are on fire, that's for sure!

Strange series that the Astros completed with Seattle today. Houston won the opener, 10-0; Seattle took game 2, 8-1, and the Astros won today 13-0.

I can't believe what Houston did to King Felix on Friday. 0.1 IP, 8 ER. He is just the 11th pitcher since 1969 to allow 8 earned runs without recording 2 outs. Wow!

Carlos Correa is as good as advertised. Houston had an embarrassment of riches and I'm happy it's paying dividends. I really expected 2016 to be the year this team started to contend.

SmoothPancakes
06-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Yeah, they just lit King Felix's ass up! I couldn't believe it when I got into work Saturday morning, was going through sports on the AP wire and saw those numbers. Damn!

JeffHCross
06-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Breaking: The FBI is investigating the Cardinals for hacking into the Astros’ computer system

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/16/breaking-the-fbi-is-investigating-the-cardinals-for-hacking-into-the-astros-computer-system/

steelerfan
06-16-2015, 12:19 PM
Breaking: The FBI is investigating the Cardinals for hacking into the Astros’ computer system

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/16/breaking-the-fbi-is-investigating-the-cardinals-for-hacking-into-the-astros-computer-system/
This is unprecedented in sports.

I hope some Cardinals FO staff are headed to the pen. We'll see how it plays out but if love to see the Cardinals destroyed by this.

Fuckers.

JBHuskers
06-16-2015, 04:12 PM
This would have been a great episode of Arli$$ :D

JeffHCross
06-17-2015, 12:09 AM
This story is just amazing, both from a sports perspective and as a computer professional.

CLW
06-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah - several people are headed to Federal Prison - the question is how high does it go up and how many people are involved. The Cardinals could also be punished SEVERELY by MLB.

JBHuskers
06-17-2015, 12:44 PM
A buddy of mine in STL took a picture of an armadillo near Busch, and since they're native to Texas, he accused it of being a spy for the Astros :D :D

steelerfan
06-17-2015, 07:39 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/e4cd85bcf9fee2b75abb0de564c85785.jpg

JBHuskers
06-17-2015, 11:34 PM

JeffHCross
06-18-2015, 06:54 AM
A buddy of mine in STL took a picture of an armadillo near Busch, and since they're native to Texas, he accused it of being a spy for the Astros :D :DWait, you have friends here that aren't me? :whoa: :o :( :fdown:

JBHuskers
06-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Wait, you have friends here that aren't me? :whoa: :o :( :fdown:

Yep :D

JeffHCross
06-19-2015, 04:45 AM
Yep :D That reminds me, I need to meet up with Damon sometime. I know he's in the area.

steelerfan
06-19-2015, 06:50 AM
That reminds me, I need to meet up with Damon sometime. I know he's in the area.
Matt Damon?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/19/5403562977e447b916bd6bcaffd630c1.jpg

JeffHCross
06-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Lol. Smartass.

steelerfan
06-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Lol. Smartass.
Just been waiting for a reason to use that picture.

SmoothPancakes
06-19-2015, 12:39 PM

JBHuskers
06-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Thank god....according to BR, MLB is cancelling more than 60 million ASG votes amid the KC ballot stuffing.

SmoothPancakes
06-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Except, it sounds like they already have. It sounded like it's been an ongoing process since the start of voting, just that they have so far ALREADY cancelled 60+ million votes. And yet KC still owns the AL All-Star team at last update. :fp:

JBHuskers
06-19-2015, 01:57 PM
Except, it sounds like they already have. It sounded like it's been an ongoing process since the start of voting, just that they have so far ALREADY cancelled 60+ million votes. And yet KC still owns the AL All-Star team at last update. :fp:

I base my vote on performance on the field, I had zero KC players starting.

SmoothPancakes
06-19-2015, 02:26 PM
I base my vote on performance on the field, I had zero KC players starting.

Exactly as it should be. But because Kansas City went to the World Series last year (which I was happy to see them go over the Orioles and wanted to see them beat the Giants), apparently that means the whole fucking team needs to start the All-Star game in the minds of KC fans. :fp:

The whole Infante bullshit is just the final nail in the coffin for me. The whole All-Star voting system is officially a steaming pile of shit if Infante can be voted to the top of the list at second base. He one of the worst goddamn hitters in ALL of the American League, hell, maybe all of MLB. And of course, while the KC players may acknowledge that they don't deserve to be starting or even going to the All Star game, well, like hell they'll grow the balls and man up enough to decline the roster spot. Nope, they'll admit they shouldn't be there but then sit there accepting the spot on the starting roster with a smile on their face.

I hope to god MLB completely overhauls the system from here on forward. Either make the fan vote no more than worth 50% of the actual vote, with players vote worth 25% and then either some system that takes into account that season's stats or a panel of former players/coaches that vote based solely on stats of that season worth 25%, or make the players vote worth 50% with the fan vote dropped down to worth 25% or whatever. But something MUST change.

steelerfan
06-24-2015, 08:59 AM
Fan makes great one-handed catch at Cubs game while bottle-feeding baby http://es.pn/1Goumz1
*-via ESPN http://es.pn/app

skipwondah33
06-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Wonder if his child got hurt if he would have sued? or been able to anyway.

That was going to be an out too it appeared

edit: disregard last statement, forgot interference is a rule now and it was an out anyway...I don't watch Baseball lol

JeffHCross
06-28-2015, 12:42 AM
Exactly as it should be. But because Kansas City went to the World Series last year (which I was happy to see them go over the Orioles and wanted to see them beat the Giants), apparently that means the whole fucking team needs to start the All-Star game in the minds of KC fans. :fp:

The whole Infante bullshit is just the final nail in the coffin for me. The whole All-Star voting system is officially a steaming pile of shit if Infante can be voted to the top of the list at second base. He one of the worst goddamn hitters in ALL of the American League, hell, maybe all of MLB. And of course, while the KC players may acknowledge that they don't deserve to be starting or even going to the All Star game, well, like hell they'll grow the balls and man up enough to decline the roster spot. Nope, they'll admit they shouldn't be there but then sit there accepting the spot on the starting roster with a smile on their face.

I hope to god MLB completely overhauls the system from here on forward. Either make the fan vote no more than worth 50% of the actual vote, with players vote worth 25% and then either some system that takes into account that season's stats or a panel of former players/coaches that vote based solely on stats of that season worth 25%, or make the players vote worth 50% with the fan vote dropped down to worth 25% or whatever. But something MUST change.The MLB ASG system has been bullshit for years. It just took somebody using it in a completely legitimate within the process (but stupid and illegitimate within logic) way to make it obvious that it needs overhauled.

JeffHCross
06-28-2015, 12:47 AM
The MLB ASG system has been bullshit for years. It just took somebody using it in a completely legitimate within the process (but stupid and illegitimate within logic) way to make it obvious that it needs overhauled.Also, I love that we now have a perfect example to use against anyone who tries to claim that we should be able to vote in local and national elections online. :D

steelerfan
06-28-2015, 12:50 AM
My opinion of All-Star games, regardless of sport, has remained the same since I was about 12.

The teams should be selected but there should be no game. The games are boring, uncompetitive and lame. The dunk/skills/derby bullshit is way past it's sell by date.

All of that said, yeah, good job Major League Baseball.

JeffHCross
06-28-2015, 10:30 PM
steeler, in all the press about Ground Control, I came across this Bloomberg article. It's been in my tabs for a while so I may not be remembering, but I don't think it was posted here

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-08-28/extreme-moneyball-houston-astros-jeff-luhnow-lets-data-reign

JBHuskers
07-02-2015, 02:13 PM
My updated MLB ASG starters vote....note to the cheating KC fans, still no KC players listed....

http://i.imgur.com/e7B8gIC.png

My first ballot for comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/UIbCpVT.png

steelerfan
07-02-2015, 02:21 PM
I think I had 7 of those on my NL ballot. Not including Altuve is an abomination.

steelerfan
07-02-2015, 02:22 PM
By the way, George Springer was put on the 15-day DL with a fractured wrist. He will be out 6 weeks, possibly even until September. :(

JBHuskers
07-02-2015, 02:36 PM
I think I had 7 of those on my NL ballot. Not including Altuve is an abomination.

Dozier: .268 16 HR 40 RBI 61 R
Altuve: .298 7 HR 33 RBI 38 R

Not really an abomination...

steelerfan
07-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Altuve has 23 steals, Dozier 7. Not to mention Altuve is better in the field. You're too caught up with power numbers.

JBHuskers
07-02-2015, 02:42 PM
Altuve has 23 steals, Dozier 7. Not to mention Altuve is better in the field. You're too caught up with power numbers.

23 more runs scored isn't a power statistic :D

steelerfan
07-02-2015, 02:46 PM
23 more runs scored isn't a power statistic :D
No but a few more HR and RBI don't make up for 30 points on the batting average, stolen bases and fielding.

JBHuskers
07-02-2015, 02:49 PM
No but a few more HR and RBI don't make up for 30 points on the batting average, stolen bases and fielding.

Pot-A-toe, Po-TAHHH-toe.

Run production is much better for Dozier.

steelerfan
07-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Pot-A-toe, Po-TAHHH-toe.

Run production is much better for Dozier.
Who the fuck says "Po-TAHHH-toe"?

JBHuskers
07-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Who the fuck says "Po-TAHHH-toe"?

Not sure, probably :ram?:

SmoothPancakes
07-05-2015, 08:14 PM
There is a God!

Hank
07-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Baseball fantasy junkies. Would you trade Matt Harvey for Edinson Volquez and Fransisco Liriano? (Keeper league). I'm in the hunt for big money and my SP rotation is hurting.
I have Lynn, Gray and Harvey basically carrying the load.
I have Minor, Wheeler and Williams Parez on the DL. Dickey and Vogelsong are on the bench because they suck.
If I can add two very reliable SP's I think I have a shot to get in the top 2 or 3 and earn some money.

The problem is, with it being a keeper league (can keep up to 6 players), losing Harvey would hurt. I think he'll rebound next year and be the ace he should be.
But I'm tempted to win now and hope that Wheeler, Minor and Gray can carry me next season.

JBHuskers
07-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Baseball fantasy junkies. Would you trade Matt Harvey for Edinson Volquez and Fransisco Liriano? (Keeper league). I'm in the hunt for big money and my SP rotation is hurting.
I have Lynn, Gray and Harvey basically carrying the load.
I have Minor, Wheeler and Williams Parez on the DL. Dickey and Vogelsong are on the bench because they suck.
If I can add two very reliable SP's I think I have a shot to get in the top 2 or 3 and earn some money.

The problem is, with it being a keeper league (can keep up to 6 players), losing Harvey would hurt. I think he'll rebound next year and be the ace he should be.
But I'm tempted to win now and hope that Wheeler, Minor and Gray can carry me next season.

Keeper league, hell no.

JBHuskers
07-06-2015, 12:40 PM
There is a God!

Still four too many KC players...

steelerfan
07-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Altuve is starting at 2B for the AL, as it should be. I guess JB says, "Po-TAHHH-toe" after all.

PS Jeff, I read that article the day you posted it. I just realized that I never thanked you for doing so. Thank you, good sir.

SmoothPancakes
07-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Still four too many KC players...

Probably, but at least cases can be made for those four starting. There was literally no case to be made for Infante and one or two others.

Rudy
07-07-2015, 04:43 AM
Matt Harvey looks ten years older than he is. I don't remember him looking like that when he first came up. I watched a bit of his last start and he looks close to retirement!

JeffHCross
07-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Altuve is starting at 2B for the AL, as it should be. I guess JB says, "Po-TAHHH-toe" after all.

PS Jeff, I read that article the day you posted it. I just realized that I never thanked you for doing so. Thank you, good sir.Thanks go to Houston for all the good content :D

steelerfan
07-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks go to Houston for all the good content :D

It is really going to be fascinating to see what the next several years bring for the Astros. So far, I'm 100% on board with what the Front Office is doing.

A few years ago, I wasn't. When they traded Pence I thought they were giving up too early on such a young stud and wasn't ready to accept a complete teardown. My biggest fear was becoming the Pirates. 20 years of losing because you constantly screw up the draft. The SI article last year tipped the scale for me and I have a surplus of trust in Luhnow & Co. now.

JBHuskers
07-08-2015, 09:40 AM
Of course a KC player is leading the last vote for the AL :fp:

Hank
07-08-2015, 09:57 AM
I ended up dealing him for Gio, Zimmerman and Tomas.

I'm on the cusp of winning big money and I needed more SP and OF depth.
I think I addressed that with both.

I still have Wheeler, Gray and Minor as my SP keepers for next season so I think I'm good as far as pitchers go for 2016.

steelerfan
07-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Well, JB, your man finally got in. Due to injury.

MLB: Twins 2B Brian Dozier named to replace Blue Jays OF Jose Bautista (sore shoulder) in All-Star Game*-via ESPN http://es.pn/app

souljahbill
07-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Well, JB, your man finally got in. Due to injury.

MLB: Twins 2B Brian Dozier named to replace Blue Jays OF Jose Bautista (sore shoulder) in All-Star Game*-via ESPN http://es.pn/app

:Southern_Miss:

CLW
07-12-2015, 09:11 AM
I leave Houston and the Astros fall apart. :nod:

steelerfan
07-12-2015, 11:44 AM
I leave Houston and the Astros fall apart. :nod:
Still in first place, for the moment. Besides, I can't have it all. :)

JBHuskers
07-14-2015, 01:46 AM
The Derby was completely entertaining tonight. My girlfriend hardly ever watches baseball and enjoyed it.

The rule changes for it were definitely for the better, and the event was only 2.5 hours compared to about 4.5 last year.

JBHuskers
07-14-2015, 10:08 PM
All-Star Game

Altuve - 0 for 2
Dozier - 1 for 1 HR

;)

steelerfan
07-14-2015, 10:23 PM
All-Star Game

Altuve - 0 for 2
Dozier - 1 for 1 HR

;)
Well, that settles it.

It IS fixed.

JBHuskers
07-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Well, that settles it.

It IS fixed.
I used my logical brain when voting for Dozier.

steelerfan
07-23-2015, 12:49 PM
The Astros acquired Scott Kazmir from the A's for 2 prospects that I'm not even very familiar with. Hell yeah.

Also, I acquired Kazmir in my Franchise on The Show recently so I just sent my application to Major League Baseball to become a script writer. The first thing I'm going to write into this season's script is having Mike Trout and Albert Poo Holes get caught after they murder ram. That should clear the path for the Astros to win the division.

JBHuskers
07-23-2015, 01:45 PM
The Astros acquired Scott Kazmir from the A's for 2 prospects that I'm not even very familiar with. Hell yeah.

Also, I acquired Kazmir in my Franchise on The Show recently so I just sent my application to Major League Baseball to become a script writer. The first thing I'm going to write into this season's script is having Mike Trout and Albert Poo Holes get caught after they murder ram. That should clear the path for the Astros to win the division.

:D nice on the game.

Kazmir has had a career renaissance this year.

You think that means they're not going for Cueto or can they still?

JBHuskers
07-27-2015, 10:19 PM
WOW. Dodgers have let teams know that Yasiel Puig is available for trade. Outside of tonight, the Cubs have needed a bat to boost the offense.

Probably won't happen for Chicago as they're still focused on pitching.

JBHuskers
07-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Another WOW. Tulo traded to the Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and minor leaguers.

SmoothPancakes
07-28-2015, 06:15 AM
Holy shit, the Rockies actually pulled the trigger. I hope it was worth it in the end, they better have gotten a good haul for essentially the franchise player.

JBHuskers
07-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Holy shit, the Rockies actually pulled the trigger. I hope it was worth it in the end, they better have gotten a good haul for essentially the franchise player.

Well neither pitcher is ranked in the top 10 left and right handed pitching prospects, and the Rockies are expected to flip Reyes to either the Mets or Padres.

SmoothPancakes
07-28-2015, 10:40 AM
So the Rockies pretty much got fleeced. Hopefully Reyes and CarGo can both bring in some minor hauls, make this all worth it.

JBHuskers
07-28-2015, 10:47 AM
So the Rockies pretty much got fleeced. Hopefully Reyes and CarGo can both bring in some minor hauls, make this all worth it.

I even tried doing some digging on sources I have and couldn't get much out of those two pitchers LOL I think Castro has been around though. I remember having him on my fantasy team for a brief time.

JBHuskers
07-28-2015, 12:10 PM
The Rockies are in full sell mode and CarGo is gonna probably be next to go. He has been one of the hottest bats since the All-Star Break.

steelerfan
07-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Supposedly, the Astros are making a "major push" for Cole Hamels.

JBHuskers
07-28-2015, 05:11 PM
So Rotowire has stats for a shit load of players, and had none for one of the pitchers the Rockies got in the Tulo trade. He must have been in the California Penal League :D

SmoothPancakes
07-28-2015, 05:32 PM
The Rockies are in full sell mode and CarGo is gonna probably be next to go. He has been one of the hottest bats since the All-Star Break.
Yeah, CarGo I've expected to be moved this entire time. He was one of the most likely trade candidates for the Rockies all season. Tulo had been rumored all season as a potential trade to the Mets, maybe the Yankees, but this trade was out of nowhere. Blue Jays were never mentioned as a possible destination and it happened so suddenly after recent comments by the Rockies front office that they weren't outright shopping Tulo.

So Rotowire has stats for a shit load of players, and had none for one of the pitchers the Rockies got in the Tulo trade. He must have been in the California Penal League :D
:fp: Should have worked out one of those forever rumored trades with the Mets. At least they have worthy pitching prospects. Hopefully Reyes is worth something. Rockies will probably try to ship Reyes right back out since they have Trevor Story at shortstop in the minors and he has been tearing it up in AAA this season.

Hank
07-30-2015, 01:16 PM
Price now a Jay.
Guess it's time to embrace my inner Blue Jays fan.

JBHuskers
07-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Price now a Jay.
Guess it's time to embrace my inner Blue Jays fan.

Until you see his stats at the Rogers Centre :D

Hank
07-30-2015, 01:54 PM
Until you see his stats at the Rogers Centre :D

Small sample size! ;)

JBHuskers
07-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Small sample size! ;)
He's a rental anyways. They won't re-sign him.

steelerfan
07-30-2015, 07:07 PM
Astros get Gomez and Fiers from Brewers for Phillips, Santana, Hader and Houser.

JBHuskers
07-30-2015, 10:05 PM
Astros get Gomez and Fiers from Brewers for Phillips, Santana, Hader and Houser.
Gomez is obviously one hell of a talent. Fiers is hit and miss with control, but gets a shit load of strikeouts. Not sure on the prospects given up, but two good players received.

steelerfan
07-30-2015, 10:07 PM
Gomez is obviously one hell of a talent. Fiers is hit and miss with control, but gets a shit load of strikeouts. Not sure on the prospects given up, but two good players received.
Philips is a good prospect. Santana and a Hader are decent. Never heard of Houser.

steelerfan
07-31-2015, 01:00 PM
Rumors swirling that the Astros are close to a deal to send Marisnick and Appel to the Padres for Kimbrel and Ross.

JBHuskers
07-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Cubs are also being talked about for Kimbrel and Ross.

Cubs made a deal for Dan Haren today as well.

JBHuskers
07-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Mets finally get the bat they desperately need in Cespedes from the Tigers.

JBHuskers
08-26-2015, 02:02 PM
This is really damn cool. Every teams logo year by year via GIF

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/check-out-every-mlb-team-s-logo-changes-through-the-years--in-one-gif-064425511.html

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/JUw0PItyMfGdAXg6NDOZUw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-08-25/015ab440-4af6-11e5-a42c-df968bd54cc4_MLBLogos2015FINAL256100dither.gif

steelerfan
10-03-2015, 11:56 PM
The Astros have guaranteed themselves a 163rd game. It could be a tiebreaker against the Angels for the last Wildcard spot; it could be a tiebreaker against the Rangers for the division; it could be a Wildcard game against the Yankees (either city could host depending on results tomorrow).

Hope they can get into a division series but it's been a great year either way.

JBHuskers
10-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Cubs v. Pirates Wednesday. Oh boy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

steelerfan
10-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Cubs v. Pirates Wednesday. Oh boy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I hate the 1-game Wildcard format. In the NL you have 2 teams with nearly 100 wins and one will go home after 1 fucking playoff game. That's not right.

JBHuskers
10-05-2015, 01:04 PM
I hate the 1-game Wildcard format. In the NL you have 2 teams with nearly 100 wins and one will go home after 1 fucking playoff game. That's not right.

I've said this for months now. Doubleheader, and if there is a split, game 3 the next day.

steelerfan
10-05-2015, 01:45 PM
I've said this for months now. Doubleheader, and if there is a split, game 3 the next day.
All in the same city? If not, the deciding game is played at WC2? Not sure about that.

JBHuskers
10-05-2015, 02:12 PM
All in the same city? If not, the deciding game is played at WC2? Not sure about that.

Yeah, give the advantage to the top wild card.

steelerfan
10-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Yeah, give the advantage to the top wild card.
So, you're saying all 3 games in the same city?

Rudy
10-05-2015, 03:55 PM
It's better than no wild card. Time is the problem. The regular season is too long.

steelerfan
10-05-2015, 05:46 PM
It's better than no wild card. Time is the problem. The regular season is too long.
One day, there will be a WC1 with 100 wins and a WC2 with 85. I don't think that a 1-game playoff should separate them.

The old "the season is too long" makes you sound Canadian. ;)

SmoothPancakes
10-05-2015, 05:58 PM
I definitely agree about wild card length. Just make it a 3 game series. Give both teams a real chance other than this one game playoff. They would never make the divisional series a one game series, so why does the wild card have to be?

souljahbill
10-05-2015, 06:11 PM
WC2-Game 1
WC1- Games 2 & 3