PDA

View Full Version : Big Ten Divisional Alignment

cdj
09-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Will be announced tonight at 6 PM CT. http://www.bigtennetwork.com/dpp/sports/football/big-ten-divisions

Rumored alignment from ESPN:

- Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Minnesota
- Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

However, CBS' Dennis Dodd says UM/OSU will be in same division and play earlier in the season.

SmoothPancakes
09-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Official division alignments for the Big Ten next year:

Exactly what cdj listed as was reported by ESPN.

Still no official names for the divisions.

SmoothPancakes
09-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Protected Crossover games for next season:

Ohio State - Michigan
Penn State - Nebraska
Wisconsin - Minnesota
Illinois - Northwestern
Indiana - Michigan State
Purdue - Iowa

And Ohio State-Michigan WILL remain as the final game of the season for both teams.

ram29jackson
09-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Protected Crossover games for next season:

Ohio State - Michigan
Penn State - Nebraska
Wisconsin - Minnesota
Illinois - Northwestern
Indiana - Michigan State
Purdue - Iowa

And Ohio State-Michigan WILL remain as the final game of the season for both teams.

how all you Husker heads feel about the new neighborhood ?

how would you like to be Michigan? every year you play Nebraska- Notre dame-Ohio state

Ohio State vs Michigan- Penn State

Wisconsin vs Penn State -ohio State

Nebraska vs Michigan....does this mean Nebraska vs Oklahoma is gone forever :(:(:(

cdj
09-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Nebraska's new end of season foe is Iowa. Should make for a nice end of season Thanksgiving rivalry.

cdj
09-01-2010, 06:22 PM
The first season in the Big Ten is a doozy:

9/10 - Fresno State
9/17 - Washington
9/24 - @ Wyoming
10/1 - @ Wisconsin
10/8 - Ohio State
10/22 - @ Minnesota
10/29 - Michigan State
11/5 - Northwestern
11/12 - @ Penn State
11/19 - @ Michigan
11/26 - Iowa

ram29jackson
09-01-2010, 06:29 PM
The first season in the Big Ten is a doozy:

9/10 - Fresno State
9/17 - Washington
9/24 - @ Wyoming
10/1 - @ Wisconsin
10/8 - Ohio State
10/22 - @ Minnesota
10/29 - Michigan State
11/5 - Northwestern
11/12 - @ Penn State
11/19 - @ Michigan
11/26 - Iowa

Nebraska plays Penn State in year 1 ! thats great ! I have great friends out here who are Nebraska fans and that should make for a fun day win or lose haha

Kwizzy
09-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah those first 2 seasons are a doozy. Home Big 10 opener is Ohio ST though. Should be fun.

Rudy
09-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I would have preferred UM and OSU to be in the same division and kept the game the final game of the year. But college football is changing very fast and I better get used to the changes.

SmoothPancakes
09-01-2010, 08:29 PM
2011 Big Ten Conference Schedule

Date|:Illinois:|:Indiana:|:Iowa:|:Michigan:|:Michi gan_State:|:Minnesota:|:Nebraska:|:Northwestern:|: Ohio_State:|:Penn_State:|:Purdue:|:Wisconsin:
||||||||||||
Oct. 1|:Northwestern:|:Penn_State:||:Minnesota:|@ :Ohio_State:|@ :Michigan:|@ :Wisconsin:|@ :Illinois:|:Michigan_State:|@ :Indiana:||:Nebraska:
Oct. 8|@ :Indiana:|:Illinois:|@ :Penn_State:|@ :Northwestern:||@ :Purdue:|:Ohio_State:|:Michigan:|@ :Nebraska:|:Iowa:|:Minnesota:|
Oct. 15|:Ohio_State:|@ :Wisconsin:|:Northwestern:|@ :Michigan_State:|:Michigan:|||@ :Iowa:|@ :Illinois:|:Purdue:|@ :Penn_State:|:Indiana:
Oct. 22|@ :Purdue:|@ :Iowa:|:Indiana:||:Wisconsin:|:Nebraska:|@ :Minnesota:|:Penn_State:||@ :Northwestern:|:Illinois:|@ :Michigan_State:
Oct. 29|@ :Penn_State:|:Northwestern:|@ :Minnesota:|:Purdue:|@ :Nebraska:|:Iowa:|:Michigan_State:|@ :Indiana:|:Wisconsin:|:Illinois:|@ :Michigan:|@ :Ohio_State:
Nov. 5||@ :Ohio_State:|:Michigan:|@ :Iowa:|:Minnesota:|@ :Michigan_State:|:Northwestern:|@ :Nebraska:|:Indiana:||@ :Wisconsin:|:Purdue:|
Nov. 12|:Michigan:||:Michigan_State:|@ :Illinois:|@ :Iowa:|:Wisconsin:|@ :Penn_State:||@ :Purdue:|:Nebraska:|:Ohio_State:|@ :Minnesota:
Nov. 19|:Wisconsin:|@ :Michigan_State:|@ :Purdue:|:Nebraska:|:Indiana:|@ :Northwestern:|@ :Michigan:|:Minnesota:|:Penn_State:|@ :Ohio_State:|:Iowa:|@ :Illinois:
Nov. 26|@ :Minnesota:|:Purdue:|@ :Nebraska:|:Ohio_State:|@ :Northwestern:|:Illinois:|:Iowa:|:Michigan_State:| @ :Michigan:|@ :Wisconsin:|@ :Indiana:|:Penn_State:

2012 Big Ten Conference Schedule

Date|:Illinois:|:Indiana:|:Iowa:|:Michigan:|:Michi gan_State:|:Minnesota:|:Nebraska:|:Northwestern:|: Ohio_State:|:Penn_State:|:Purdue:|:Wisconsin:
||||||||||||
Sept. 29|:Penn_State:|@ :Northwestern:|:Minnesota:||:Ohio_State:|@ :Iowa:|:Wisconsin:|:Indiana:|@ :Michigan_State:|@ :Illinois:||@ :Nebraska:
Oct. 6|@ :Wisconsin:|:Michigan_State:||@ :Purdue:|@ :Indiana:||@ :Ohio_State:|@ :Penn_State:|:Nebraska:|:Northwestern:|:Michigan:| :Illinois:
Oct. 13|@ :Michigan:|:Ohio_State:|@ :Michigan_State:|:Illinois:|:Iowa:|:Northwestern:| |@ :Minnesota:|@ :Indiana:||:Wisconsin:|@ :Purdue:
Oct. 20|||:Penn_State:|:Michigan_State:|@ :Michigan:|@ :Wisconsin:|@ :Northwestern:|:Nebraska:|:Purdue:|@ :Iowa:|@ :Ohio_State:|:Minnesota:
Oct. 27|:Indiana:|@ :Illinois:|@ :Northwestern:|@ :Nebraska:|@ :Wisconsin:|:Purdue:|:Michigan:|:Iowa:|@ :Penn_State:|:Ohio_State:|@ :Minnesota:|:Michigan_State:
Nov. 3|@ :Ohio_State:|:Iowa:|@ :Indiana:|@ :Minnesota:|:Nebraska:|:Michigan:|@ :Michigan_State:||:Illinois:|@ :Purdue:|:Penn_State:||
Nov. 10|:Minnesota:|:Wisconsin:|:Purdue:|:Northwestern: ||@ :Illinois:|:Penn_State:|@ :Michigan:||@ :Nebraska:|@ :Iowa:|@ :Indiana:
Nov. 17|:Purdue:|@ :Penn_State:|@ :Michigan:|:Iowa:|:Northwestern:|@ :Nebraska:|:Minnesota:|@ :Michigan_State:|@ :Wisconsin:|:Indiana:|@ :Illinois:|:Ohio_State:
Nov. 24|@ :Northwestern:|@ :Purdue:|:Nebraska:|@ :Ohio_State:|@ :Minnesota:|:Michigan_State:|@ :Iowa:|:Illinois:|:Michigan:|:Wisconsin:|:Indiana: |@ :Penn_State:

ram29jackson
09-01-2010, 08:41 PM
where'd you get that ?

cdj
09-01-2010, 08:45 PM
LOL That is awesome, SP! Nice work!

SmoothPancakes
09-01-2010, 08:47 PM
where'd you get that ?

Made that baby by hand. I got the schedules from the hour and a half long special they had on Big Ten Network, so I just made it into a table.

LOL That is awesome, SP! Nice work!

Thanks. :) I actually had it completely typed up with just names then I remembered the logos, so I figured I'd kick it up a notch and make it a logo schedule. :D

JeffHCross
09-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Yeah those first 2 seasons are a doozy. Home Big 10 opener is Ohio ST though. Should be fun.It. will. be. amazing.

I am already counting down to that day.

Rudy
09-01-2010, 09:08 PM
That Nebraska schedule looks tough.

steelerfan
09-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Nice work, SP! Thanks for doing that. No more hiding behind that B12N schedule, Husker fans. Welcome to the B10!

SmoothPancakes
09-02-2010, 03:59 AM
There you go fellas, a little bonus for you all as I was sitting here feeling a little bored. Check my post up above where I posted the 2011 Big Ten Conference schedule with the school logos. You might just notice the 2012 Big Ten Conference schedule just below the 2011 schedule now. :D

Nice work, SP! Thanks for doing that. No more hiding behind that B12N schedule, Husker fans. Welcome to the B10!

Thanks. :) I may be a Navy fan, but I do live (and have lived all my life) smack dab in the middle of Big Ten country, so it's a little hard not to also watch and love some Big Ten football on the side. :P

JBHuskers
09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Nebraska's new end of season foe is Iowa. Should make for a nice end of season Thanksgiving rivalry.

Yep I wish it was the Friday after Thanksgiving, but still good to have them at the end of the year.

AustinWolv
09-02-2010, 10:54 AM
If they keep the rotation of 2 home games, 3 road games one season, followed by 3 home games, 2 road games the next season, it will be interesting to track if that impacts who is doing better in the divisions.

JeffHCross
09-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Austin, I'm not sure what you're looking at. Can you expand on that a little? It's four and four, for everybody.

Thanks. :) I may be a Navy fan, but I do live (and have lived all my life) smack dab in the middle of Big Ten country, so it's a little hard not to also watch and love some Big Ten football on the side. :PI do find it kinda funny that I live closer to Annapolis than you ever have.

Versus was showing their schedule for this year tonight, and they've got Navy @ Air Force (I think it's in Colo Springs at least) in a few weeks. Can't wait for that.

AustinWolv
09-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Jeff, division games, not B10 conference games.

JeffHCross
09-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Got it. Honestly hadn't taken the time to look at the division games.

There's at least one conference in the NCAA that uses overall conference record first, then uses tiebreakers from there. Wonder if we'll use that, given the protected rivalry game and all that.

CLW
09-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't really have a dog in the fight but I think the Big 10 is making a mistake by separating the two but saying they will play every year. The ACC made the same mistake with Miami and FSU.

The idea is hey lets get our two "marquee" clubs to play twice a year. Hasn't happened yet in the ACC.

Also lets say Mich and OSU are both in the title hunt (recently I believe both were undefeated at the end of the reg season if i am not mistaken). One beats the other at the end of the Regular season effectively knockings one out of the title picture. Now they have to play again 1-2 weeks later for the Big "Ten" title. Obviously that leaves open the possibility that the other falls in a rematch and the Big "Ten" has noone in the title game.

IMO, it just makes the most sense to put them in the same division and have them play the last game of the regular season every year. Then it could be for the Big Ten "East" title.

EDIT: As an aside, I can say as a bigger college hoops fan that these 12 team conferences with divisions have RUINED regular season conference basketball scheduling.

JeffHCross
09-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree that I think I'd rather see Michigan and Ohio State play every year for the division title rather than as a protected game cross-division. However, I've been thinking about it ... and there is no good division format that allows for that while protecting as many rivalries as they did with this format.

However, the division format isn't going to be used in basketball. But, of course, it isn't used in the ACC either ... so your real complaint is the 12-team conference ... I agree there. It's not the divisions, but the number.

CLW
09-04-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree that I think I'd rather see Michigan and Ohio State play every year for the division title rather than as a protected game cross-division. However, I've been thinking about it ... and there is no good division format that allows for that while protecting as many rivalries as they did with this format.

However, the division format isn't going to be used in basketball. But, of course, it isn't used in the ACC either ... so your real complaint is the 12-team conference ... I agree there. It's not the divisions, but the number.

Yeah its more the size than divisions ruining college hoops. In the ACC of course the only Basketball Champion is the Tourny Champion (many people are either unaware or forget this fact). However, for seeding purposes it gets screwy. Also, the NC teams don't play each other twice a year. Duke plays UNC 2 times but not necessarily Wake or State. I'm under no delusion football is king and hoops is secondary b/c of the $. I'm actually quite concerned the ACC eventually implodes and Duke (like Kansas) could end out in the cold b/c they are "basketball schools".

As far as Big "10" divisions go, there is no "perfect" scenario. However, I'd go with:

A (West)- Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota

B (East) - Michigan, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Michigan State

I think that format keeps true to most of the "big" rivalries and in-state matchups.

I know Minn has like a billion trophy gms (only somewhat joking) but if I'm not mistaken their "biggest" rival is Wisconsin.

NW - Illinois stays together for IL bragging rites

IA - NE are border states where a rivalry could develop

MI - MSU (instate rivals)

MI - OSU

IN - Purdue

I'm not a Big 10 rivalry buff but Penn State could move around as I don't see them as a traditional rival to any of these schools. However, to me it made the most since to keep them with Ohio St seeing as the states border each other.

JeffHCross
09-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Penn State's biggest rivals are Michigan State and Ohio State. Ohio State is easily #1, with Michigan State being a forced trophy game ... though from what I've heard, they've started caring about it recently.

Your setup is very good, actually. I think the central difference is that you made a bunch of changes, whereas I was trying to figure out once change that would fix everything.

You could also have Ohio State-Illinois (Illibuck), Penn State-Nebraska, and Michigan-Minnesota (Little Brown Jug) as cross-division games, preserving those rivalries.

The only problem with your setup, and this is the central problem facing the Big Ten, is that the competitive balance is completely out of whack. Personally, I could deal with it ... though realistically that looks like a Big 12 North/South in terms of lacking competitive balance.

AustinWolv
09-04-2010, 11:15 PM
The thing is nobody cares about MSU.

SmoothPancakes
09-04-2010, 11:19 PM

Ain't that the truth. :D

Rudy
09-05-2010, 05:42 AM

http://blog.syracuse.com/z89/2007/09/Hart2.jpg

CLW
09-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Penn State's biggest rivals are Michigan State and Ohio State. Ohio State is easily #1, with Michigan State being a forced trophy game ... though from what I've heard, they've started caring about it recently.

Your setup is very good, actually. I think the central difference is that you made a bunch of changes, whereas I was trying to figure out once change that would fix everything.

You could also have Ohio State-Illinois (Illibuck), Penn State-Nebraska, and Michigan-Minnesota (Little Brown Jug) as cross-division games, preserving those rivalries.

The only problem with your setup, and this is the central problem facing the Big Ten, is that the competitive balance is completely out of whack. Personally, I could deal with it ... though realistically that looks like a Big 12 North/South in terms of lacking competitive balance.

Yeah there are just too many rivalries to get them all in.

I think the competitive balance is always going to ebb and flow unless you have divisions with no traditional powers.

This year my West division would on paper be tougher with Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin being the 2-4 ranked programs.

However, if Michigan rebounds the other division has 3 solid clubs in OSU, Mich and PSU.

Mich St. v. Minn seems pretty even to me some years one is stronger than the other so both make solid 4th programs in each division

5-6 basically puts the Illinois schools up against the Indiana schools. Not sure if that is the imbalance you are talking about but to me they are pretty much a wash as well.

I suppose the "imbalance" is the historical look back at Mich, OSU and PSU all have national titles where the other division only has Nebraska.

JeffHCross
09-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Nah, I was really going deeper than the top 3 for the "imbalance". But, upon second review, it looks about as balanced as you could get, if you go beyond recent history.

SmoothPancakes
12-13-2010, 11:18 AM
They just released the division names for the Big Ten on a special going on right now on Big Ten Network. The divisions shall be known as "Legends" and "Leaders".

LEGENDS Divison: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern

LEADERS Division: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

New Big Ten logos (http://www.bigten.org/genrel/121310aaa.html)

SmoothPancakes
12-13-2010, 11:25 AM
There are 18 new trophies. Some of the ones announced so far:

The Championship trophy will be known as the Stagg-Paterno Trophy.

Championship game MVP trophy will be the Grange-Griffin MVP Trophy.

Two postgraduate trophies will be awarded:

Ford-Kinnick Leadership Trophy

Dungy-Thompson Humanitarianism Trophy

The Coach of the Year Trophy will be known as the Hayes-Schembechlerr Trophy.

JBHuskers
12-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Lots of people piling on the names of the conferences...I actually don't mind them.

JBHuskers
12-13-2010, 11:42 AM
:D

RT @jsucher Big Ten actually hired me to do the rough sketch of the logo http://i52.tinypic.com/2w7mwxv.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2w7mwxv.jpg

SmoothPancakes
12-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Full List of Trophy Names:

Trophy Name|Named for Person 1|Named for Person 2
Championship Game Trophies|
Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy|Amos Alonzo Stagg, Chicago|Joe Paterno, Penn State
Grange-Griffin Championship Game MVP|Harold Edward "Red" Grange, Illinois|Archie Griffin, Ohio State
Postgraduate Awards|
Ford-Kinnick Leadership Award|Gerald R. Ford, Michigan|Nile Kinnick, Iowa
Dungy-Thompson Humanitarian Award|Tony Dungy, Minnesota|Anthony Thompson, Indiana
Annual Awards/Trophies|
Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year|Otto Graham, Northwestern|Eddie George, Ohio State
Nagurski-Woodson Defensive Player of the Year|Bronislau "Bronko" Nagurski, Minnesota|Charles Woodson, Michigan
Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year|Wayne Woodrow "Woody" Hayes, Ohio State|Glenn Edward "Bo" Schembechler, Michigan
Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year|Darrell Thompson, Minnesota|Antwaan Randle El, Indiana
Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year|Dave Rimington, Nebraska|Orlando Pace, Ohio State
Smith-Brown Defensive Lineman of the Year|Charles Aaron "Bubba" Smith, Michigan State|Courtney Brown, Penn State
Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year|Bob Griese, Purdue|Drew Brees, Purdue
Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year|Alan Ameche, Wisconsin|Ron Dayne, Wisconsin
Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year|Jack Tatum, Ohio State|Rod Woodson, Purdue
Butkus-Fitzgerald Linebacker of the Year|Dick Butkus, Illinois|Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern
Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year|Pat Richter, Wisconsin|Desmond Howard, Michigan
Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year|Ted Kwalick, Penn State|Dallas Clark, Iowa
Bakken-Andersen Kicker of the Year|Jim Bakken, Wisconsin|Morten Andersen, Michigan State
Eddleman-Fields Punter of the Year|Thomas Dwight "Dike" Eddleman, Illinois|Brandon Fields, Michigan State

HWill
12-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Not a huge fan of the division names or the logo. Not completely sold on the two-name trophies, either. It seems like they were trying to satisfy too many people.

JBHuskers
12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Kinda cool that there are some trophies paying homage to some newer generation players.

Kwizzy
12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah I think they did a decent job with these names and logos. I think Legends is definitely the stronger of the 2 division names but they are both pretty good. I think the Logos are a little more simple than I thought they would be but they are pretty nice overall too. You can tell they are trying to get away from getting tied down to a specific number of teams with their logos though.

**** EDIT- I have completely changed my mind the more I looked at these logos. (See post on the next page) ****

psuexv
12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Personally I think the logos are garbage. I understand you want simple, but it looks like they were done in Microsoft Word. If it was a high school football conference in Central Maine I would understand but I guarantee this designer is getting paid more than most of us would see in 10 years and we could have come up with a better design.

psuexv
12-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Here's what I don't understand. What's the deal with the "1" in the B1G? I understood it what there was 11 teams but now there are 12. Does it mean the Big Ten thinks they are number 1? Why not just put a big Foam Finger as your logo.

steelerfan
12-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Here's what I don't understand. What's the deal with the "1" in the B1G? I understood it what there was 11 teams but now there are 12. Does it mean the Big Ten thinks they are number 1? Why not just put a big Foam Finger as your logo.

Look again, the G is supposed to double as a 0 in "10". Thus the word Big can be seen as "BIG" or as "B10".

psuexv
12-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Look again, the G is supposed to double as a 0 in "10". Thus the word Big can be seen as "BIG" or as "B10".

Well that's kind of what I thought but still don't really understand it. When the added the little notches out of the G and T to represent 11 teams actually in the Big Ten. This thing just duplicates the name of the conference.. stupid.

JBHuskers
12-13-2010, 02:42 PM
A buddy of mine came up with a better logo:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/BigTen.jpg

Kwizzy
12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
haha yeah, the more I look at em the more I don't like them. I would like to see some of the ones they ruled out/ chose between. These are ridiculously simple. So I'm pretty much completely disagreeing with my initial thoughts on the logos :D . I still think Legends is a good division name however I don't like Leaders at all.

Rudy
12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
The Big 10 logo is weak. The names of the divisions are cheesy and everyone is piling on them but I really don't care that much. I think the hyphenated names are kind of cool to honour past greats but they will never flow off the tongue. It would have been better if they bit the bullet and went with one name only.

AustinWolv
12-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Personally I think the logos are garbage. I understand you want simple, but it looks like they were done in Microsoft Word. If it was a high school football conference in Central Maine I would understand but I guarantee this designer is getting paid more than most of us would see in 10 years and we could have come up with a better design.

Agreed.

Desmond Howard got damn lucky to have the trophy named after him; Anthony Carter was more explosive and gamebreaker than Howard.

steelerfan
12-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Anthony Carter was more explosive and gamebreaker than Howard.

Oh, man I enjoyed watching Carter at UM and he made me root for the Michigan Panthers in the USFL too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NpLsijWG24

steelerfan
12-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Does anyone else find fault with the "Griese-Brees Trophy"?

That sounds like a porn industry award. :smh:

JeffHCross
12-13-2010, 07:34 PM
:thumbsdown: :sick: :smh:

morsdraconis
12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow, talk about lame. Way to go Big Twelevn. Now you're naming system is the laughing stock of the college football world.

JBHuskers
12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
My thoughts.....

Division names....I kinda like
Logo....lame
Trophies.....I kinda like

cdj
12-14-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm 'meh' on all three. By themselves, I can live with any individual aspect but overall these selections are a grand total of exceptionally average, if not below average.

steelerfan
12-14-2010, 11:17 AM
It has also occurred to me that the "Griese-Brees Trophy" could be mistaken for a wet morsel of poo that accidentally finds it's way into your under britches after a drunken, late night Taco Bell run.

HWill
12-14-2010, 11:46 AM
It has also occurred to me that the "Griese-Brees Trophy" could be mistaken for a wet morsel of poo that accidentally finds it's way into your under britches after a drunken, late night Taco Bell run.

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::s ick::sick::sick:

JeffHCross
12-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Division names....I kinda likeMeh. Legends and Leaders? Means absolutely nothing. At least Atlantic and Coastal have obvious meanings for the ACC. Either the Big Ten is extremely uncreative (I'd be willing to bet on this), or just full of themselves to the extent that they think no one else has legends (I'd be willing to believe this too). Plus, it's considerably harder to differentiate between "Legends" and "Leaders". Again, going back the ACC, at least Atlantic and Coastal are distinct words. Legends and Leaders will be easily confused.

Big and Ten would have worked just as effectively.

I love the trophies ... well, the names. I don't see a reason to have that many trophies (unless we've given them out before, just not formally), but incorporating the names of former Big Ten legends is very smart.

The logos are piss poor horrible.

Rudy
12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
I've heard Lakes and Plains was a really good suggestion for the divisions. Or Black and Blue.

psuexv
12-16-2010, 08:22 AM
I've heard Lakes and Plains was a really good suggestion for the divisions. Or Black and Blue.

Black and Blue would have been awesome.

SmoothPancakes
12-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Not so fast my friends!

Big Ten may rethink Legends, Leaders (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5930029)

Rudy
12-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Black and Blue! Simple and traditional. I don't think Legends and Leaders is the worst thing they could have come up with like everyone is saying but it does sound a little arrogant.

SmoothPancakes
12-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah, Black and Blue would work. I wouldn't even mind seeing them go with something like the Lakes and Plains names that I've seen mentioned. That would actually fit well with the footprint and layout of the Big Ten, and it's worked just fine for the ACC with Atlantic and Coastal.

JeffHCross
12-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Not so fast my friends!
None of it prepared him for the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the conference's new division names.I swear, the high-ups are daft. Or at least choose to present themselves as if they are.

Michigan and Ohio State leaders were shocked by the backlash over the possibility of moving The Game.
Delany wasn't prepared for the negative reaction to the division names (and probably the logos).

Seriously people? You're SURPRISED by negative reactions? People have negative reactions over being denied Chicken McNuggets (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20013202-504083.html).

JeffHCross
12-17-2010, 07:37 PM
something like the Lakes and Plains names that I've seen mentioned. it's worked just fine for the ACC with Atlantic and Coastal.One difference between Lakes/Plains and Atlantic/Coastal is that, no matter what, ACC teams are either Atlantic or Coastal. There are no teams on the Pacific or in Tornado Alley in the ACC. They're all against the Atlantic, and are at least in states that are Coastal, if not near the coast themselves.

Whereas Lakes and Plains ... there's an inherent geographical problem. Either Michigan and Michigan State (pretty well known for being close to the Great Lakes) end up in the Plains, or Nebraska finds itself in the Lakes.

According to Wikipedia, there are 15 lakes in Nebraska. But that isn't exactly the idea, y'know?

Personally, I'd prefer Lakes and Plains over Legends and Leaders, but either way ... you have a slight problem.

SmoothPancakes
12-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I swear, the high-ups are daft. Or at least choose to present themselves as if they are.

Michigan and Ohio State leaders were shocked by the backlash over the possibility of moving The Game.
Delany wasn't prepared for the negative reaction to the division names (and probably the logos).

Seriously people? You're SURPRISED by negative reactions? People have negative reactions over being denied Chicken McNuggets (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20013202-504083.html).

Yeah, when I saw the Legends and Leaders name unveiled during the live announcement show earlier in the week, I just knew people were going to start going off about them. While I can understand why the Big Ten chose those names, I knew and guaranteed there was going to be a bunch of backlash about it. So, now that they're reconsidering the divisions names, does that mean they'll be smart and reconsider the logos?

SmoothPancakes
12-17-2010, 07:40 PM
One difference between Lakes/Plains and Atlantic/Coastal is that, no matter what, ACC teams are either Atlantic or Coastal. There are no teams on the Pacific or in Tornado Alley in the ACC. They're all against the Atlantic, and are at least in states that are Coastal, if not near the coast themselves.

Whereas Lakes and Plains ... there's an inherent geographical problem. Either Michigan and Michigan State (pretty well known for being close to the Great Lakes) end up in the Plains, or Nebraska finds itself in the Lakes.

According to Wikipedia, there are 15 lakes in Nebraska. But that isn't exactly the idea, y'know?

Personally, I'd prefer Lakes and Plains over Legends and Leaders, but either way ... you have a slight problem.

Well, yeah, you will have issues like that with Lakes and Plains, but at least it would look and sound better than Legends and Leaders, even if you have an anomoly like Nebraska or Michigan/Michigan State.

JeffHCross
12-17-2010, 07:43 PM
It just occurred to me that I would love to see Black and Blue ... if Michigan wasn't in Blue. The backlash / WTF looks would be hilarious.