PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Live Subscription Price Increase Coming November 2010

JBHuskers
08-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Make sure to renew those subscriptions before November 1st.

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_11606/Price_Increase_for_Xbox_LIVE_Members_Coming_in_Nov ember

Microsoft's Major Nelson announced today that as of November 1, 2010 we are increasing the price of an Xbox LIVE for some members. This price increase only affects Xbox LIVE Members in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom or the United States. The new pricing structure is outlined below, as well as the official comment from Microsoft:

United States Current:

1M Gold: $7.99
3M Gold: $19.99
12M Gold: $49.99

United States Starting Nov 1, 2010:
1M Gold: $9.99
3M Gold: $24.99
12M Gold: $59.99

UK Current:
1M Gold: 4.99 GBP
UK Starting Nov 1, 2010:
1M Gold: 5.99 GBP

Canada Current:
1M Gold: $8.99 CAD
Canada Starting Nov 1, 2010:
1M Gold: $9.99 CAD

Mexico Current:
12M Gold: 499 Pesos
Mexico Starting Nov 1, 2010:
12M Gold: 599 Pesos

Unless listed above, there is no change in any other subscription packages or pricing.

Official Statement from Microsoft's Major Nelson: "Since launching Xbox LIVE in 2002 we have continually added more content and entertainment experiences for our members, while keeping the price the same. We’re confident that when the new pricing takes effect, an Xbox LIVE Gold membership will continue to offer the best value in the industry. However, we do want to thank our loyal members and give you the opportunity to lock in your current price with an additional discount (click here), so now would be a good time to renew your subscription."

morsdraconis
08-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Well that does it. F U Micro$oft.

$45.00 is already way too damn much. $60 is just RIDICULOUS.

JBHuskers
08-30-2010, 12:41 PM
It's called Amazon. I don't think I've ever paid more than $35 for a year. Prices have to increase eventually.

cdj
08-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Apparently the ad money from everything on the dashboard isn't cutting the mustard anymore. I suppose $10 isn't a big deal, but it's the principle of it given the economy. Better to do it now with talk of a double-dip recession on the way, I guess. I'll be utilizing Amazon and hopefully renewing when they have deals as well.

SmoothPancakes
08-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Thank God for never having to pay for my own Gold subscription. Been on Live on 360 for 2 years now, currently have my subscription through March 2011, and haven't paid a single cent. Gotta love having a sister that finds it much easier to just buy me a 12 month gold subscription card each Christmas, which works perfectly for me, than trying to find something else that I may or may not necessarily desire or care for. :D

JBHuskers
08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah I think I'm going to get myself two for $40 each. Normally I pay $35, but what's another $5 for a year. That will cover me til May 2013 at least.

morsdraconis
08-30-2010, 01:40 PM
It's called Amazon. I don't think I've ever paid more than $35 for a year. Prices have to increase eventually.

Oh I know. I'm the same way with Amazon but you know that those are going to increase in price as well.

At this point though, I never play anything online anymore anyway (and when I did, it was just NCAA Football and occasionally a FPS or something) so I'm not really hurt by it.

My current subscription ends in September and I'm probably just going to let it run out anyway.

It just sucks that they're increasing their price. They really chose a bad time to increase in my opinion.

cdj
08-30-2010, 03:38 PM
I can see why people are upset with this, though. MS charges for pretty much everything plus they have a lot of ad content in addition to being the top console on the market. Are they hurting for money? You have to pay above market price just to upgrade your HD size, for crying out loud. Though, people will pay it so it's tough to say it's a bad decision by MS. I do think people need to start asking 'where is the line?' What is the point where they would not pay for XBL, a game, a console, hardware, any product or service, etc. Sure, this can be justified ("Only a measly 83 extra cents a month!"), but what if my cable provider goes up $10 a year or month...and then car insurance goes up...and my cell phone bill increases...and taxes go up...and so on. A lot of "measly" increases add up quick. One of the reasons I didn't have an issue with PS+ was because it supplemented their existing free service. I'd rather pay above and beyond on my own volition to show support for a company/product versus a mandatory across the board increase and that goes for any item/service, not just this increase.

I OU a Beatn
08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
I've always said they should have 2 different levels of Gold. Have one that has all the features we have now at the same price, and then a higher package that has more features and costs a bit more. I'm sure there would be a ton of people jump at that, including myself. I don't see the point in increasing prices across the board, but it doesn't really affect me just yet. I think I'm good on Live until early 2013, so I wont need to pay them for quite awhile.

JBHuskers
08-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Amazon has a one card limit, just got one from them. Will probably get another year from NewEgg if they're not sold out yet.

UGA14
08-30-2010, 09:19 PM
I canceled in May and haven't looked back.

I OU a Beatn
08-30-2010, 10:17 PM
I will say this. Being that this is the first time I've only had a 360 and not a PS3(I've had PS3 and 360 95% of the time, but never a 360 and no PS3) and used it exclusively, I'm willing to pay the extra money for Live. It is so much more integrated and easier to use than PSN that I have no problem dishing out the dough to play online. There's a massive amount of avatars, a massive amount of profile space to put whatever you want, nearly everyone has a headset and actually uses it, cross game chat and party chat are awesome, etc...

Granted, Sony and it's Playstation has always been kind of on the single player side of things, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I love both systems even though Sony is on my shit list until November, but there really is no comparison to the community feel and rich amount of features you get with Live over PSN...for now. PSN has grown a lot over the past year alone.

steelerfan
08-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Since November typically starts a new fiscal year, putting this in November is no surprise. If people renew at the same "we love our loyal customers" price, it helps have a strong finish to the year which trickles down to every area under that particular corporate umbrella. It's Corporate America BS, that's all. Some suit probably realized that he was headed for a measley 6 figure bonus this year and he couldn't fire enough people to get it to 7 figures so he came up with a plan to generate a bunch of XBL sales before the end of the fiscal year.

JeffHCross
09-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Just wait until Microsoft starts putting "Online Pass" like features on their first-party games. That's next!!!

morsdraconis
09-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Just wait until Microsoft starts putting "Online Pass" like features on their first-party games. That's next!!!

And that's when I completely stop playing games online. Hell, I'm nearly there already.

JeffHCross
09-02-2010, 10:27 PM
And that's when I completely stop playing games online. Hell, I'm nearly there already.Only if you buy them used. :D :( :sick: