PDA

View Full Version : Game Informer: 20 Things We Know About NBA Live 15

cdj
08-07-2014, 12:15 PM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3901/14853001295_f4d7bf7b79.jpg

Game Informer's Matt Bertz has put together a list of 20 things we know about NBA Live 15 (http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nba_live_15/b/playstation4/archive/2014/08/07/20-things-we-know-about-nba-live-15.aspx), most of which preclude any official announcements or blogs from EA SPORTS.

Continue on to see the list.

Presentation

EA Tiburon invested in a different scanning technology for NBA Live 15 to drastically improve the player models. This change addresses every single asset in the game, from faces, hair, bodies, and skin to clothing, footwear, and accessories.
Facial performances looks much more believable in the brief demo we saw. Players’ eyes track the basketball, and they react with emotion after making big plays.
The commentary team of Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy returns. Given last year’s wooden performances, this year EA’s focus is on getting more banter injected in the proceedings. The two are spending more time recording side by side, and like NBA 2K, that dialogue between the two can be interrupted when something significant happens on the court.
Jalen Rose returns as the master of ceremonies as well. EA plans to continue to deliver live commentary updates with Rose throughout the year to recognize league happenings and call out users who have made remarkable accomplishments within the game.

Gameplay

The developers have completely overhauled the passing game and added more control back from Live 10, which to many was the last decent basketball effort from EA.
To make dribbling moves, you simply need to flick the right analog stick right or left, not unlike the old freestyle controls.
Short adjustment steps on defense should allow you to keep better positioning on defense. EA hopes you can stay in front of ball handlers using just the left analog stick.
Defense is more active, with jostles and dribble bumps.
EA is placing a big emphasis on transitional animations to make the action look more believable. This obviously includes getting rid of instances where players take shots with their backs to the basket, a particularly egregious animation foul that occurred last year.
To cut down on clipping animations in the paint, EA has added physics to any player taking or contesting a shot. Now when players collide, the position of their forearms and hands are taken into account throughout the shot attempt.
Taking a page from the seldom-heralded NCAA Basketball 10, Live 15 introduces new quick-action strategies that send a makeshift offense into motion at the tap of a button.
EA is also integrating some play-calling icons into the game to give you better visual clues on how a play is supposed to develop. You can turn these on or off in the settings.

Game Modes

EA says Live Seasons and Big Moments proved to be popular with gamers last year, so expect more of the same in Live 15.
Given the popularity of Ultimate Team, Live Seasons, and Rising Star, by default Dynasty is becoming less prominent in the development cycle. That said, the team is determined to fix the sim engine so it creates better results with the right teams winning and more believable player movement through trades and free agency.
EA has not altered the trade mechanics to let you include future draft picks.
Much like FIFA and Madden have done in recent years, NBA Live 15 has a new on-boarding process that can teach new players the basic controls or educate returning players on how to use advanced controls through both minigames and five-on-five scrimmages.
Fans of the EASBL will have to wait another year before the mode returns. EA wants to wait until the head-to-head online competitions, general gameplay, and visuals are up to par before investing in online team play.
Ultimate Team is receiving an auction house this year, but no standalone app on mobile phones or tablets.
Don’t expect Rising Star to follow in the footsteps of NBA 2K’s MyCareer mode. EA has no plans to integrate cutscenes into the mode. For Live 15, the developers are focusing on improving the performance tracking.
EA Tiburon plans to launch a free trial on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 so people can experience the game before buying.

skipwondah33
08-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Haven't played Live in forever but I love the team of Mike Breen (for 3!! BANG!!!!) and Van Gundy

jaymo76
08-09-2014, 02:09 PM
•Given the popularity of Ultimate Team, Live Seasons, and Rising Star, by default Dynasty is becoming less prominent in the development cycle. That said, the team is determined to fix the sim engine so it creates better results with the right teams winning and more believable player movement through trades and free agency.

•Don’t expect Rising Star to follow in the footsteps of NBA 2K’s MyCareer mode. EA has no plans to integrate cutscenes into the mode. For Live 15, the developers are focusing on improving the performance tracking.

The other stuff sounds good but these two quotes leave me scratching my head. There were a number of positives to the last Live game. However, in order to compete with 2k they need to focus on gameplay AND attempt to compete with 2k's modes. People love 2k titles because of the depth they offer to franchise/dynasty etc. modes. Historically and with the exception of NCAA, this is an area where Tiburon has struggled to excel.

SmoothPancakes
08-09-2014, 05:31 PM
The other stuff sounds good but these two quotes leave me scratching my head. There were a number of positives to the last Live game. However, in order to compete with 2k they need to focus on gameplay AND attempt to compete with 2k's modes. People love 2k titles because of the depth they offer to franchise/dynasty etc. modes. Historically and with the exception of NCAA, this is an area where Tiburon has struggled to excel.

Amen. I love RTTS and MyPlayer, and even doing the equivalent of those modes in NHL and FIFA. But my predominant love in sports games is franchise/dynasty. To read quotes like that really just kills any desire and hope for this game. Look at the new additions 2K made to this year's game, specifically MyLEAGUE, which is a tinkerer's dream when it comes to having complete and total control over every aspect of a franchise. That mode alone has made NBA 2K15 a day one buy for me this year. NBA Live, I honestly probably will pass seeing as they made no real attempt to improve franchise and have no desire to improve Rising Star to compete with 2K's MyCareer. Those are the two and only two modes I play in NBA 2K. If EA's not even going to try and improve those two modes to compete with 2K, then I'm not even going to bother looking at NBA Live for purchase.

bdoughty
08-09-2014, 08:30 PM
At least there will be a demo to try.

bdoughty
08-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Here is another thing I know about NBA Live. Based on Amazon figures, not much attention being given to this game.

NBA Live 15

PS4 Version: #14,421 in Video Games
XB1 Version: #8,360 in Video Games

NBA 2K15

PS4 - Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #187 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)
#23 in Video Games > PlayStation 4 > Games

XB1 - Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #354 in Video Games
#28 in Video Games > Xbox One