PDA

View Full Version : Resistance 3

JBHuskers
08-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Just was announced today at Gamescom! Check the live action trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbkXTSs3bvU

gschwendt
08-17-2010, 04:54 PM
What is it now some kind of zombie survival game? I loved Resistance 1, hated Resistance 2... they're going to have to impress me to win me back.

I OU a Beatn
08-17-2010, 06:21 PM
If it's like Resistance Fall of Man, I'll never need another shooter. If it's like R2, they can suck it.

JBHuskers
08-17-2010, 08:13 PM
If it's like Resistance Fall of Man, I'll never need another shooter. If it's like R2, they can suck it.

Yeah I'll get it for the single player then get rid of it quick if the multiplayer is like R2, at the very least.

gschwendt
09-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Resistance 3 screenshots (http://kotaku.com/5650133/first-resistance-3-screens-paint-a-grim-picture)

I OU a Beatn
09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
I read an interview somewhere today where the head of Insomniac basically admitted that the direction they went with R2 was a mistake and huge disappointment to the fans and that R3 would be returning to what made the first one so special and then some. Count me in.

JBHuskers
09-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Me too.

JeffHCross
09-30-2010, 10:17 PM
I still haven't opened my R2.

cdj
10-18-2010, 06:42 AM
From StickSkills (http://stickskills.com/news/1248/resistance-3-multiplayer-drops-60-player-battles/):

One of the most talked about features leading up to the launch of Resistance 2 had to be the huge sixty player battles that multiplayer featured. While most gamers felt those battles were unbalanced, or they just became overwhelmed by all the players, there was still a portion of gamers that enjoyed them.

Today, we've learned that Resistance 3 will NOT be featuring the sixty player battles that were featured in the second title. In the latest issue of Game Informer, Marcus Smith of Insomniac stated that they're looking to streamline the experience to more along what fans loved from the first and second title.

While Insomniac has confirmed that Resistance 3 won't feature sixty player battles, they've yet to announce the maximum number featured in the title. Don't be surprised to see the number go back down to forty though, as that seems to be the magic number for fans of the series.

JBHuskers
10-18-2010, 10:05 AM
It really seems like Insomniac learned their lesson and are going to revert back to the first Resistance. Hopefully not just in gameplay, but with visuals as well. I loved the gray and dark look of the first game. The second game was TOO vibrant and colorful, and the grayness was what stood the game out from the rest of the pack.

cdj
12-01-2010, 06:13 PM
From Geoff Keighley: Teaser for RESISTANCE 3 world premiere at VGAs 2010 on Saturday, 12/11.

I OU a Beatn
12-01-2010, 06:20 PM
A site I checked out earlier said it'll have actual gameplay video as well, which is excellent. I'll be able to tell right away whether it's R:FoM or R2.

cdj
12-08-2010, 08:04 PM
From CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=279484) - 7 game art images at link...

Insomniac Games has revealed new details of what Resistance 3 will offer when it's released in autumn next year.

The title will get a full reveal trailer at the VGAs on Saturday.

Creative director of the studio Marcus Smith told the PSBlog today: "The weapon wheel returns, allowing [character] to carry his entire arsenal and letting the player choose which weapons and strategies they want to use for each encounter.

"New to Resistance 3 are upgradeable weapons, which will give your weapons new abilities and power as you continue to use them. In terms of co-op, we are focusing on a 2-player co-op through the single-player campaign, which can be played online with a friend, or split-screen on your couch.

"In terms of multiplayer, we are planning a much more focused, progression-based multiplayer experience. We'll have many more details on the new campaign, enemies, multiplayer and weapons in the weeks to come as we head towards our Autumn 2011 release."

Insomniac has shown off some of its favourite art and screens from R3 on the PSBlog, which you can see here.

Added Smith: "The multiplayer locations in the game are set around the world, with many in locations not in the single-player game. This level [left] is the Fort Lamy prison, in the Republic of Chad, Africa. During the single-player campaign, you'll hear updates about the battle happening there."

Click if you want to know who the game focuses on & basic story premise...
The story of the game focuses on Sentinel Joseph Capelli. Four years after the end of R2, he is living in hiding with his wife, Susan, and son, Jack, along with other survivors in the town of Haven, Oklahoma.

According to Smith: "He's given up fighting, and is now just trying to hide and survive the Chimeran death squads that roam the planet. But when Dr. Malikov arrives with an opportunity to deliver a blow to the Chimera, Capelli embarks on a road trip to New York City.

"Resistance 3 is a tale of Capelli's heroic journey across the country as he encounters the remnants of humanity left in the aftermath of the brutal invasion."

JBHuskers
12-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Very cool premise with Capelli IMO.

psuexv
12-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I could only make it a quarter of the way through R2. They really need to impress with this one. Just reverting back to R1 I don't think will do it.

I OU a Beatn
12-12-2010, 05:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuFBkiXbo-w

Looked good. I can't wait for info in the coming months. Hopefully they went back to what made RFoM so great.

oweb26
12-12-2010, 06:26 AM
I could only make it a quarter of the way through R2. They really need to impress with this one. Just reverting back to R1 I don't think will do it.

I agree x1000, I am on the next to last mission on the game and I just couldn't do it anymore, it was so shittacular after I stopped playing it for awhile I had to let it go.

cdj
12-28-2010, 11:47 PM
A few tidbits from the latest PlayStation Magazine:

- Campaign co-op (split-screen or online) replaces the separate co-op mission structure of R2
- New weapon is the Mutator
- Each weapon can be upgraded with points earned through use
- Enhanced enemy attack and movement intelligence
- Characters will not be bound to just two weapons at a time

JeffHCross
12-29-2010, 12:56 AM
That third bullet about upgrading sounds a lot like the Ratchet & Clank series. Hmm, wonder where they got that idea ...

CLW
12-29-2010, 05:57 AM
Game looks good. Just wish there was at least an option to play it as a 3rd person shooter instead of FPS.

CLW
01-13-2011, 05:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTxsXNY2MBg&feature=sub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4iMYXT75DM&feature=sub

I OU a Beatn
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmxKXq_c478&feature=player_embedded

Looks like Resistance is back. Hell yeah.

JBHuskers
02-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Love it!

cdj
03-02-2011, 07:34 PM
From the PlayStation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/02/resistance-3-multiplayer-revealed-beta-later-this-year/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=resistance_3_030211):

Greetings from the PlayStation.Blog.Lounge here at the fabulous W Hotel, across the street from the Game Developers Conference in downtown San Francisco. As this post goes live, we are revealing our all-new multiplayer for Resistance 3. We’ve said all along we wanted Resistance 3’s MP mode to bring the best of both Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2’s MP and co-op modes, and you’re about to see just how we’ve managed to do that.

Resistance 3 will feature 16-player Human vs. Chimera deathmatch and objective-based modes set in locations across the globe. That may seem somewhat jarring after the 40 and 60-player mayhem in RFOM and R2. Rest assured though, our biggest motivation in determining our new player count was the fun times that we and the community had on maps like RFOM’s Busyard and Rooftops, as well as the Bayou House and San Francisco maps in Resistance 2.

Resistance 3 will offer a very deep and customizable progression system. Players can create their own progression paths through multiplayer, spending their hard-earned points to customize loadouts that fit their unique playstyle. We learned a lot from Resistance 2 co-op in terms of giving players the ability to create specific roles in a team and level up different abilities – which you will see with the various active tactical and support abilities, as well as the new personal and combat attributes.

For instance – each player can choose and level different support abilities – such as a Bubble Shield, Ammo Beacon (give ammo to teammates) or Radar Beacon (enhance your team’s radar). There are also tactical abilities you can use against your enemies, such as the Doppelganger (projects an image of you nearby to distract enemies) or Dash (an explosive burst of speed to evade enemy attacks).
Furthermore, each player can select and level a personal attribute and a combat attribute. These range from the ability to have leapers bust out from your corpse, to start with more weapons in your arsenal, to reloading or firing at a faster rate. You will be able to truly customize your character loadout to fit your own unique playstyle in Resistance 3.

We’ve been working on this new direction for close to two years now, polishing and refining our maps. We’re having a ton of fun playing Resistance 3 in the office every day. We will be bringing a multiplayer beta to PSN later this year.

I OU a Beatn
03-07-2011, 05:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XokvFCvjk9E

I am officially excited. Really, really excited. Health looks great, guns look great, map looks awesome, graphics look stunning as expected. Killstreaks look to be in so we'll see how that works out, but I'm absolutely loving what I saw in the video. Reminds me a lot of Fall of Man, and that is the absolutely best thing you can say about it.

cdj
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Here's a contest where you can get scanned and placed into the game (http://us.playstation.com/resistance3getinthegame/).

cdj
03-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Insomniac has just announced at its Community Day event here in Los Angeles that when Resistance 3 finally arrives on September 6, it will bring with it support for 3D televisions, as well as compatibility with PlayStation Move and its Sharp Shooter attachment. The studio said during a public panel that it was encouraged by the Move functionality in Killzone 3 and plans to implement Resistance 3 in a similar way.

Courtesy: Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/29/resistance-3-to-feature-move-and-sharpshooter-support-along-wit/)

JBHuskers
05-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Resistance 3 demo to be included with Battle: LA Blu-ray (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/03/resistance-3-demo-to-be-included-with-battle-la-blu-ray/)

Hell if the blu-ray is $16.99 at release or something, I might go for it. The movie looked interesting, never did get to see it though.

I OU a Beatn
05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
It got absolutely pounded in reviews, so I never bothered with it. It seemed cool.

morsdraconis
05-03-2011, 03:54 PM
I watched it and it was VERY enjoyable. It's like watching all the cutscenes from a video game put together, but it's a VERY decent and fun alien invasion movie. Not sure if it's worth buying on Blu-ray, but definitely worth a rental.

I OU a Beatn
05-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Official box art revealed by PS Blog:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/5731024093_7d4063eb5f_z.jpg

I like it. A lot.

JBHuskers
05-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Oooh me likey.

Right now the Battle: LA blu ray is $24.99. Not sure that is really worth it to get a demo.

DariusLock
05-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Oooh me likey.

Right now the Battle: LA blu ray is $24.99. Not sure that is really worth it to get a demo.

A lot of people on Netflix gave it good reviews.

This game looks crazy good.

morsdraconis
05-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Oooh me likey.

Fun movie, but no way is it worth $25...

JBHuskers
05-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Fun movie, but no way is it worth $25...

I don't even pay $20 for blu rays anymore. With only certain exceptions, I usually get them for $15 or $17. Or just wait til they're $10.

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 09:19 AM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/116/1169894/resistance-and-resistance-2-get-bundled-20110523085547834.jpg

For those who didn't get in the first two games....they will be released in a dual pack.

Resistance: Fall of Men, Resistance 2 Bundled (http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=14209)

According to IGN UK, Sony Computer Entertainment plans to re-release both Resistance games in one $40 Greatest Hit bundle sometime this Summer. The news came via a promotional flyer inside the Battle: Los Angeles Blu-Ray, which includes a playable demo of the upcoming Resistance 3.

The Greatest Hits Dual Pack would also include $10 worth of content and a Resistance 3 skin.

We’ve contacted Sony for more details...although, the flyer makes it very clear that its coming.

gschwendt
05-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Um... can't you pretty much already get R:FoM and Resistance 2 for less than $40 anyway? IMO they should have released the combo pack for $30, if no other reason than Resistance 2 isn't worth $10.

JBHuskers
05-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Um... can't you pretty much already get R:FoM and Resistance 2 for less than $40 anyway? IMO they should have released the combo pack for $30, if no other reason than Resistance 2 isn't worth $10.

I think it will not stay at $40 long (if it even releases at that price point in the US...)

I OU a Beatn
05-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, $40 is laughable. I can get both for under $20 if I look hard enough.

cdj
05-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Amazon Pre-order Bonus (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O6E67A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thegamtai-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B003O6E67A):

Pre-order Resistance 3 and get access to the Air Fuel Grenade, which releases a large cloud of flammable vapor, in Resistance 3's single player campaign. Access code will be e-mailed within two business days after your order ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last.

JBHuskers
05-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Here's a list of all of the preorder bonuses.... (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/26/resistance-3-pre-order-bonuses-hale-returns-srpa-black-ops-and-more/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=R3_preorder_052611)Best Buy preorders you can get the Hale skin from the end of R2:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3330/5760161192_ca47e865bd_z.jpg

I OU a Beatn
06-02-2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhNSv0PloGQ

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Got the demo for this and am about ready to boot it up, so I'll post some impressions here in a bit. I definitely don't have very high hopes of it being any good.

gschwendt
06-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Got the demo for this and am about ready to boot it up, so I'll post some impressions here in a bit. I definitely don't have very high hopes of it being any good.
Is it single player or multiplayer? Is it public or limited?

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
It was single player, specifically only the boat level. I don't think it's available to the public yet.

Anyway, played through it on Medium. I was blown away by how gorgeous the game was. Looking at videos, I definitely didn't expect that, but it does look gorgeous and it's even better when the game is in motion. In motion, it's a smooth as smooth can be. I didn't a single hiccup frame rate wise and there were a lot of explosions.

I will say this, it blows Resistance 2 out of the water. The shooting mechanics are fluid and the guns feel great, there's more diversity to the Chimaera this time around, and the entire game just looks and feels way better. I was surprisingly really impressed by it.

JBHuskers
06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
It was single player, specifically only the boat level. I don't think it's available to the public yet.

Anyway, played through it on Medium. I was blown away by how gorgeous the game was. Looking at videos, I definitely didn't expect that, but it does look gorgeous and it's even better when the game is in motion. In motion, it's a smooth as smooth can be. I didn't a single hiccup frame rate wise and there were a lot of explosions.

I will say this, it blows Resistance 2 out of the water. The shooting mechanics are fluid and the guns feel great, there's more diversity to the Chimaera this time around, and the entire game just looks and feels way better. I was surprisingly really impressed by it.

So is the coloring darker like the first game?

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2011, 02:07 PM
It's very dark and grim looking, yes. Like I said, the game looks beautiful and part of it is because they went back to that much darker feel. If you liked how Fall of Man felt, you'll love this.

JBHuskers
06-09-2011, 02:20 PM
It's very dark and grim looking, yes. Like I said, the game looks beautiful and part of it is because they went back to that much darker feel. If you liked how Fall of Man felt, you'll love this.

Hell yes....excited. Hopefully MP is money too.

JBHuskers
06-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Just went to Amazon and preordered this badboy for release day delivery.

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I just read on a site that the same demo I'm playing is currently available on the Singapore store, but I have no way to confirm that. If someone wants to try to create a Singapore PSN and see if it's there, it's definitely worth the download.

JBHuskers
06-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I just read on a site that the same demo I'm playing is currently available on the Singapore store, but I have no way to confirm that. If someone wants to try to create a Singapore PSN and see if it's there, it's definitely worth the download.

I have a Hong Kong ID, along with a UK one :nod: will have to check it out.

gschwendt
06-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Just created a Singapore account... I can confirm it is there. Downloading now.

JBHuskers
06-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Just created a Singapore account... I can confirm it is there. Downloading now.

Yessssssssssss will get it when I get home from work.

gschwendt
06-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I have a Hong Kong ID, along with a UK one :nod: will have to check it out.

Yessssssssssss will get it when I get home from work.
Apparently the Hong Kong PS Store is still down... you'll need a Singapore account.

Also, the real way for North American users is to purchase Battle: Los Angeles.

JBHuskers
06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Apparently the Hong Kong PS Store is still down... you'll need a Singapore account.

Also, the real way for North American users is to purchase Battle: Los Angeles.

Ahhhh okay .... will have to do that then. Thanks!

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2011, 03:20 PM
You might want to hurry, too. A moderator over on the Resistance forums said it was a mistake and it'll be taken down.

JBHuskers
06-09-2011, 03:35 PM
You might want to hurry, too. A moderator over on the Resistance forums said it was a mistake and it'll be taken down.

Christ....I'm at work another hour.

gschwendt
06-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Not that much of a fan of the demo... not the gameplay itself, more the level they chose. I hate console shooters that include shooting from a moving object because the aiming is too frustrating. This demo takes place entirely on a boat and aside from a handful of stopped moments, the boat is always moving.

Added, there are a few things that frustrate me about some games in general... 1) if an enemy drops a weapon in front of me, why can't I pick it up? 2) if a fellow character suggests "they're coming from the front", shouldn't the attack come from the front?

Overall though, the game looks like it has good potential and certainly worth a play.

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
1. It's just on that level, and it's because you're on a boat. It makes no sense whatsoever, but that's the only part of the game you'll have that issue.
2. Don't know about that either. He said "from the front" several times, and they definitely didn't come from the front.

gschwendt
06-09-2011, 05:31 PM
1. It's just on that level, and it's because you're on a boat. It makes no sense whatsoever, but that's the only part of the game you'll have that issue.
You mean the weapon drops? They were even dropping on the boat itself but couldn't pick them up :/ Or if you meant aiming from a boat, yeah, I realize the whole game won't be that way but still just a poor choice. I assume they did that so that they can keep it on rails and prevent you from making it a 30 minute demo.

Oh well, they're both fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.

JBHuskers
06-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Just got it installed...firing it up now.

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2011, 05:55 PM
You mean the weapon drops? They were even dropping on the boat itself but couldn't pick them up :/ Or if you meant aiming from a boat, yeah, I realize the whole game won't be that way but still just a poor choice. I assume they did that so that they can keep it on rails and prevent you from making it a 30 minute demo.

Oh well, they're both fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.

I mean you can't pick up weapons when you're on the boat in the demo. The demo was designed that way because they only want you to have access to the two weapons you start off with and the shotgun. I wasn't a fan of that because I wanted to try the other weapons, but oh well.

I didn't like the boat level decision, either, but I'm pretty sure they showed it off because of the awesome set pieces with the Goliath.

JBHuskers
06-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Hit :ps3tri: all of your guns are there....I think when you go into the weapons cache (or maybe it's right away) they show up. I was able to switch to the Bullseye.

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2011, 06:34 PM
What the...

I'll have to try that then.

JBHuskers
06-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Actually I don't know if you hit :ps3tri: or hold :ps3tri: but yep about six guns are in your inventory.

gschwendt
06-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Yep... after playing it again with the added weapons, it's almost night & day difference. I enjoyed the latest playthrough much more than my two previous. If you hold :ps3tri:, you get the Marksman, Auger, and Bullseye in addition to the Magnum and Shotgun.

JBHuskers
06-10-2011, 10:17 AM
I like how it seems like you can upgrade your secondary on each weapon throughout the game.

I have a feeling that MP could be a blast like the first Resistance was.

gschwendt
06-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Developer Diary via StickSkills.com (http://stickskills.com/news/1810/resistance-3-cold-new-world-developer-diary/#ccms[timestamp]-1810)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oQJ2dzyBskY

gschwendt
06-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Single Player Gameplay via StickSkills (http://stickskills.com/forum/showthread.php?p=735115#post735115)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN-mph1JFe8

cdj
08-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Latest trailer (http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/08/03/resistance-3-travel-to-new-york-city?objectid=37866), courtesy IGN

cdj
08-21-2011, 07:17 PM
The full R3 trophy list with some spoilers. (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/20/spoiler-zone-the-complete-resistance-3-trophy-list/)

Escobar
09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Anybody pick this up? I just did after playing the mutiplayer beta. It seemed much more like R1 from that.

cdj
09-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Anybody pick this up? I just did after playing the mutiplayer beta. It seemed much more like R1 from that.

What are the community thoughts on this one? It's sitting at 83 on Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/resistance-3) right now.

JBHuskers
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm debating on grabbing this with my $40 credit and waiting on Dead Island. Tough decision. Both look really good to me. May have to go into the vault and put some stuff up on eBay :D

gschwendt
09-08-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm gonna Redbox this and Dead Island. I blazed through Deus Ex this past weekend, though that game really isn't designed for a rental.

I OU a Beatn
09-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Not touching it with a 20 foot pole. If it's a shooter and it's a Sony exclusive, I'm not touching it. I've been burned on KZ3, SOCOM 4, and from the videos I've seen of R3's multiplayer, I'd be getting burned again.

JB, if it helps, I absolutely love Dead Island. It's pretty much Fallout with zombies, but it's a ton of fun and extremely gruesome.

JBHuskers
09-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Not touching it with a 20 foot pole. If it's a shooter and it's a Sony exclusive, I'm not touching it. I've been burned on KZ3, SOCOM 4, and from the videos I've seen of R3's multiplayer, I'd be getting burned again.

JB, if it helps, I absolutely love Dead Island. It's pretty much Fallout with zombies, but it's a ton of fun and extremely gruesome.

Yeah that is what I'm still leaning towards. Online isn't really my main focus on this. I just love Resistance's storylines on the first two, and this one looks MUCH better than 2. I might just ask for this for Christmas.

I OU a Beatn
09-08-2011, 01:56 PM
IGN said the campaign was extremely well done, so you'd probably be okay there. They also said it was short, though. I believe they finished it in 8 hours, which is around what most shooter campaigns are. Dead Island is long as hell which means there's absolutely no way I'll ever finish it. :D

JBHuskers
09-08-2011, 02:01 PM
IGN said the campaign was extremely well done, so you'd probably be okay there. They also said it was short, though. I believe they finished it in 8 hours, which is around what most shooter campaigns are. Dead Island is long as hell which means there's absolutely no way I'll ever finish it. :D

Yeah you probably just sold me to use my Amazon credits on Dead Island. I can wait on Resistance, though I did enjoy the beta.

I OU a Beatn
09-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I was watching some videos of someone playing R3 online last night and it looked an awful like R2 to me. I don't like how you have all these power ups and I don't like they have the rank up system similar to Call of Duty. The pick up weapons in Fall of Man are part of the reason that game was so fun. Oh well, I might give it a try whenever it's $20 or $30, but for $60 I'm not willing to chance it.

Hell, I didn't even try the beta. :D