PDA

View Full Version : Madden NFL 15 Feature Deep Dive: Tackling Mechanic

Rudy
07-23-2014, 08:51 PM
MADDEN NFL 15 FEATURE DEEP DIVE: TACKLING MECHANIC (http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news-updates-gameplay/article/feature-details-tackling-mechanic)

Written by Madden NFL 15 Creative Director of Gameplay Rex Dickson.

When we took on the challenge of “making defense fun” in Madden 15, one of the biggest problem areas the team identified was tackling.

We broke the tackling problems down into several main categories:

1. Defenders were at a movement disadvantage vs. ball carriers
2. Inability for users to understand direction and spatial distances between defender and ball carrier, and how that affected tackling
3. Lack of UI feedback to help the user understand how the tackle mechanics work
4. Poor risk/reward component in the tackling mechanics
5. Forcing defenders to physically collide with ball carriers before initiating tackles resulted in too many missed tackles

To solve the movement disadvantage and the collision requirement, we made the decision to allow user-controlled defenders to 'match' tackles if they get close enough (ball carrier inside tackling cone). This eliminates the need to actually collide with the ball carrier before triggering a tackle. Any tackles performed with the ball carrier inside the cone will have heat seeker steering if this option is turned on.

Solving the spatial distance and facing direction issues is all about the tackle cone. This feature allows users to visualize the appropriate distance to the ball carrier as well as the direction the defender is facing.

Using the tackle cone to understand when to attempt a tackle dramatically increases the effectiveness of user tackling. A/X performs a conservative tackle, with LT+A/X performing a conservative 'breakdown' tackle. X, Square from distance (ball carrier outside the tackle cone) performs a dive tackle, while X (or flicking the Right Stick) in close performs a hit stick.

The lack of UI feedback is solved with new player ring graphics. On lower difficulty levels, the button icon is displayed above the defender’s head to let players know when to attempt a tackle, as well as what type of tackle to use in that situation. You can toggle these prompts on or off in the settings.

As far as risk/reward, the main risk in tackling (due to all the issues listed above) was how easy it was to ‘whiff’ and watch your player flop face first onto the ground. The bottom line is that players face planting on the turf doesn't look or feel authentic to the game of football.

As a result, penalties for whiffing or being slightly off the mark have been reduced or eliminated. Now the risk/reward is mostly about two things: which tackle to choose, and what the relevant ratings are for these interactions. Now the main risk is simply choosing the wrong tackle for the situation. The penalty for that is far less severe than taking your player completely out of the play.

While it may take some time to get used to the new tackling mechanics, we are confident that Madden 15 is the most effective implementation of tackling in franchise history, and we are very excited to have our fans get their hands on it come August 26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSfrP1rBKPs

More details on the new tackling cone and the reasons behind it. I was someone that whiffed far too often on tackles so I like this.

souljahbill
07-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Whiffing on tackles is why I don't switch defenders on defense. I hate turning a 4-yd run into a 80-yd TD because I whiffed on 2 or 3 tackles.

skipwondah33
07-24-2014, 07:35 AM
I try to switch and make every play so I had a good share of misses, typically it was on Curl routes where I'd just to come up and hit stick the WR shortly after catching the ball. Or if the RB did a Curl route out of backfield.

Other situations wouldn't be as bad unless there was some slight lag

Rudy
07-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Whiffing on tackles is why I don't switch defenders on defense. I hate turning a 4-yd run into a 80-yd TD because I whiffed on 2 or 3 tackles.

I don't switch and I whiff a lot on routine plays. Believe a big part of it is a lack of player momentum allowing offensive players super quick cuts with super acceleration. Hopefully it's better. I never had a problem on the PS2 but thispast gen was lousy for me nd that includes manual pass defense. The controls are too twitchy. same goes for downing punts and getting your player to a specific spot.

JeffHCross
07-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Funny you mention PS2, Rudy. I never had a problem switching defenders back on the PS2. Did it all the time. Not just for tackles but also for pass defense, in particular. I've never felt comfortable on the PS3 doing either.

skipwondah33
07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Funny you mention PS2, Rudy. I never had a problem switching defenders back on the PS2. Did it all the time. Not just for tackles but also for pass defense, in particular. I've never felt comfortable on the PS3 doing either.They made it easy as all get the past 2-3 versions on PS3, especially with getting interceptions. Click on then just hold triangle.

I actually think movement can be toned down from the defensive side a bit and this is coming from someone who uses it as an advantage. You can cover a great deal of space with the MLB that honestly you shouldn't be able to I wouldn't think,

JeffHCross
07-24-2014, 02:35 PM
They've claimed you can just click and hold triangle, but either I'm just inept or I just can't figure it out. Because I've simply never gotten it to work consistently :D

skipwondah33
07-24-2014, 03:00 PM
They've claimed you can just click and hold triangle, but either I'm just inept or I just can't figure it out. Because I've simply never gotten it to work consistently :DOh it's true you can.

On this particular play I knew what my opponent was likely going to look for so I let him think I was going to blitz but knew he try the Slant, but as soon as I stop blitzing all I did was held down Triangle. The play happened instantly and even though I was ready for it still couldn't have hit the button likely that fast.

http://youtu.be/Y6qmK7Fggk4?list=UU8ctowZv41De76D8X3KKGVQ

http://youtu.be/Drj4IFV5aFU?list=UU8ctowZv41De76D8X3KKGVQ
* Note I was getting stomped initially trying to do two things at once.

If you look at any of the other videos or games I have that is what happens most of the time, soon as I commit to where I think ball is going or click on to someone I just hold Triangle after switching.

I also try to strafe until I know which direction the play is going.

I find movement 100x harder on NCAA than Madden. Or maybe just because I play Madden predominantly.