PDA

View Full Version : Cheese Discussion

Roy38
08-16-2010, 06:48 PM
I am the commissioner of a four member online dynasty. Over the course of our first dynasty season, I have two members who have put up questionable statistics at the WR position:

G. Childs (Arkansas) = 204 catches, 3,871 yards, 55 TD's
A. Torres (Texas Tech) = 93 catches, 2,341 yards, 35 TD's

Over the course of the season, I watched as these numbers started to pile up and immediately, I raised a red flag. I asked what they were doing to put up these kind of numbers, in which I learned they were substituting their best WR into the innermost slot position in a 5 WR set (not quads) where they could work on a LB. While I'm all for looking for ways to exploit the defense through match-ups, I feel they have gone overboard with this. What are your thoughts on this and what would you suggest in handling this situation?

morsdraconis
08-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Express to them that that type of play is unacceptable. Part of playing non-cheese football is CHANGING what you do. Even if it's only 8 or 10 plays, it's still changing up the play. They're obviously taking advantage of the AI's HORRIBLE seam coverage ability so it's definitely cheese. You don't even have to put your best receiver there to take advantage of that.

If they argue with you on it, then explain to them that it's just how it's going to be and if they don't like it, then it looks like your OD isn't for them.

ram29jackson
08-16-2010, 08:56 PM
I league i was in 2 years ago said dont put your fastest or number 1 wide in the slot because it abused AI

ram29jackson
08-16-2010, 08:59 PM
another question - would you consider hitting a WR on a slant or any route on a 1 or 2 step drop, cheese?

Roy38
08-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Express to them that that type of play is unacceptable. Part of playing non-cheese football is CHANGING what you do. Even if it's only 8 or 10 plays, it's still changing up the play. They're obviously taking advantage of the AI's HORRIBLE seam coverage ability so it's definitely cheese. You don't even have to put your best receiver there to take advantage of that.

If they argue with you on it, then explain to them that it's just how it's going to be and if they don't like it, then it looks like your OD isn't for them.

The problem is twofold: 1) They are both good friends of mine who are playing in an online dynasty for the first time and 2) They could argue your point in that they could put anyone in that spot and throw to him, not just their #1 WR. I don't want to inhibit imagination or limit play calling by setting "house rules", but I do want realistic stats. Certain things like the "pump fake" glitch obviously would warrant a rule, but this...I guess I wouldn't have a problem with it if it wasn't abused in the matter they are doing it. The funny thing about it is, Childs didn't win the Heisman - Torres did. Ah, the programming masterminds at EA...

psusnoop
08-17-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm having a cheesy thing in our friends dynasty as well.

First for your two friends, I always ask these questions to my friends. Are those real numbers, can that happen in real life college football? If the answer is no for either one, then they should be able to make adjustments to their play calling.

I have two friends that feel the need to drop way back during a pass, or they will sprint to the sideline to generate a better passing lane against the CPU AI DB's. I wish I could get them to understand that this is abusing the AI but they just don't get it. One guy will take his QB and hike the ball drop 2 steps and either spring around an OT or he will go straight up the gut. He only does this when he is down and needs to get back in the game which makes it even more frustrating.

morsdraconis
08-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Friends or not, both what is happening with Roy's dynasty and psusnoop's dynasty is cheesy bullshit and I'd let them know.

I wouldn't have a problem going off on them about that stupid shit, but I'm also a prick like that.

Roy38
08-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, I sent a message to all dynasty members with the new rules. I notified them that subbing your primary WR's into the slot positions on 4-5 WR sets are banned. However, I did allow (for the time being) WR movement through audibles. In other words, if you called play "w" from formation "x", you could audible to play "y" in formation "z" which moves a primary WR to a slot position. I did this for two reasons: 1) They would be limited in what they could do (if anything), and 2) Still allow for some creativity.

steelerfan
08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
A friend of 15+ years and I had an OD last year. He was Iowa and I was UCLA. He abused the shit out of Superman DE, Run Commit, throwing to the slot and throwing to his HB in the flats. We played about 5 years and only met once. It was the year 2 MNC and I escaped with a win.

When year 5 ended, we had some issues that caused us to have to retire and rejoin the Dynasty. He took over as commissioner and promptly dumbed down the sliders. I was already bored with things because the sliders were dumbed down from what I was used to and I only lost like 3 games in 5 years and won 3 MNCs.

The things he changed were things he bitched about in previous seasons. Holding, Hum Pass Rush, Hum INT. Our stats were already outta whack. Too many sacks, too many INTs, too few penalties etc. When I called him out on it, he denied it. Then I proved it and he still only admitted half and, instead of apologizing, tried to turn it around on me. "If you wanna be commissioner so bad, I'll retire it and you can re-host it."

F that!

I just quit talking to him. Texts about his pregnant wife? Ignored. Calls from his mother about his baby being born? Subject changed. I don't have time for cheesers and I won't deal with liars. If he had manned up and said he was sorry, I would have forgiven and forgotten. Instead, he tried to blame me. M'F'er.

Roy38
08-17-2010, 07:19 PM
A friend of 15+ years and I had an OD last year. He was Iowa and I was UCLA. He abused the shit out of Superman DE, Run Commit, throwing to the slot and throwing to his HB in the flats. We played about 5 years and only met once. It was the year 2 MNC and I escaped with a win.

When year 5 ended, we had some issues that caused us to have to retire and rejoin the Dynasty. He took over as commissioner and promptly dumbed down the sliders. I was already bored with things because the sliders were dumbed down from what I was used to and I only lost like 3 games in 5 years and won 3 MNCs.

The things he changed were things he bitched about in previous seasons. Holding, Hum Pass Rush, Hum INT. Our stats were already outta whack. Too many sacks, too many INTs, too few penalties etc. When I called him out on it, he denied it. Then I proved it and he still only admitted half and, instead of apologizing, tried to turn it around on me. "If you wanna be commissioner so bad, I'll retire it and you can re-host it."

F that!

I just quit talking to him. Texts about his pregnant wife? Ignored. Calls from his mother about his baby being born? Subject changed. I don't have time for cheesers and I won't deal with liars. If he had manned up and said he was sorry, I would have forgiven and forgotten. Instead, he tried to blame me. M'F'er.

I don't want it to get to this level. It is a game, after all, and what I consider fun and entertaining may not be for the next person.

steelerfan
08-17-2010, 07:52 PM
I don't want it to get to this level. It is a game, after all, and what I consider fun and entertaining may not be for the next person.

That's why I shared. I'm not an a-hole, lol. I'm just not gonna be villified by a liar.

We all screw up. Some just never admit it. There's a fine line between being tolerant and being abused. I just thought I'd give you a true story about how walking that line can end.

ram29jackson
08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
another question - would you consider hitting a WR on a slant or any route on a 1 or 2 step drop, cheese?

I seriously want to know?

ram29jackson
08-17-2010, 09:06 PM
That's why I shared. I'm not an a-hole, lol. I'm just not gonna be villified by a liar.

We all screw up. Some just never admit it. There's a fine line between being tolerant and being abused. I just thought I'd give you a true story about how walking that line can end.

youre a Steelers fan and live in Texas...are you sure you arent a -cough- a-hole?:D

steelerfan
08-17-2010, 09:48 PM
youre a Steelers fan and live in Texas...are you sure you arent a -cough- a-hole?:D

:dunno: I was born in Cleveland. :D:D

morsdraconis
08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
I seriously want to know?

No, that is not cheese. Simple enough to counter with press coverage.

psusnoop
08-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Agree, 1-2 step drop slant routes are easy to counter and not cheese.

CLW
08-18-2010, 02:58 PM
So... what we learned today - NCAA Football Rules > Friendship :nod:

skipwondah33
08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
That and if those numbers are questionable, I'd like to see what attrocious numbers look like. What did their QB's throw...like 65-70 TD's or 55 and 35? haha

Coachdenz
08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I played NCAA 10 all with close friends, and it's just not for me, it seems better to play with people I have met online.

baseballplyrmvp
08-18-2010, 04:36 PM
I league i was in 2 years ago said dont put your fastest or number 1 wide in the slot because it abused AIi wouldnt agee with this since hawaii's top 2 receivers are their slotbacks, so in order to play realistically, you'd have to move their best two into the 3 and 4 spot on the depth chart. but i understand the point you were making as well as i've been apart of dynasties who used this rule in years past

Roy38
08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
That and if those numbers are questionable, I'd like to see what attrocious numbers look like. What did their QB's throw...like 65-70 TD's or 55 and 35? haha

:D Someone noticed! Yes, those numbers are FUCKING RETARDED! I was just trying to be civil! :D QB stats actually weren't awful - only because Mallet got hurt so he had to share the yardage.

Roy38
08-18-2010, 06:22 PM
You're absolutely right. If a total stranger was putting up those numbers in my OD, he'd be gone in a heart beat. Friends...definitely more slack in the rope.

baseballplyrmvp
08-20-2010, 11:24 AM
ok i have a question.....

i've kind of combined multiple aspects from all of the run and shoot coaches in an fcs od i'm in. but one aspect that i think some people might have a problem with is the extensive use of motioning. i'm trying to follow mouse davis's playcalling schemes while he was coaching at portland state in which 2x2 sets were mostly called with motion being used on almost every play to create a 3x1 (trips) formation. sometimes this was reversed by coming out in a trips formation and then motioning back to a 2x2.

would anyone consider motioning on 75% of my plays be considered cheese?

morsdraconis
08-20-2010, 03:04 PM
ok i have a question.....

i've kind of combined multiple aspects from all of the run and shoot coaches in an fcs od i'm in. but one aspect that i think some people might have a problem with is the extensive use of motioning. i'm trying to follow mouse davis's playcalling schemes while he was coaching at portland state in which 2x2 sets were mostly called with motion being used on almost every play to create a 3x1 (trips) formation. sometimes this was reversed by coming out in a trips formation and then motioning back to a 2x2.

would anyone consider motioning on 75% of my plays be considered cheese?

Absolutely not. That is never cheese. It's simple setting up mismatches just like anywhere else.

Motioning all the time is NEVER cheese. That's how some people read man vs zone coverage presnap.

ram29jackson
08-20-2010, 08:06 PM
of course not, I motion all day- i'm upset you can only motion 1