PDA

View Full Version : Vision Cone

Rudy
05-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Madden tried the vision cone years ago and people hated it. I didn't like it either but I fully understood what they were trying to do. They were trying to add awareness to the abilities of the user QB. This keeps dumb QBs with good arms from being elite in Madden when they aren't elite in real life.

I've always thought there were two ways to handle this that wouldn't change the fundamental passing game mechanics (although maybe they should try something although I can't figure out how an analog system would work).

1) Adjust WR release and run route (not hands or speed) to the QB awareness. QBs with above average awareness would get WRs that would come open easier as that's what it often appears like on TV. QBs with below avg awareness would cause WRs to struggle a bit more to come open. The critics would say that the WR/DB matchup is independent of the QB which I would agree with. This is a cheat where the end result is good even if the process is not.

2) Tie QB accuracy to awareness on the non-primary WR option. Every play has a primary WR assigned and I do believe the user can change this. But once the ball is snapped if the QB decides to throw to a different option I think the accuracy on that play should be tweaked on their awareness. A QB with poor awareness in real life sees that late, maybe has bad footwork and should be penalized. A QB like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc can go through their reads and make great plays. They might be a boost in accuracy (or at least no penalty). I like this idea. An example formula would be FACTOR = SQRT(AWR/99). That way 99 gets no penalty but 65 gets a 19% penalty.

Thoughts on how to incorporate the Awareness rating for QBs while a user plays with them for better sim results?

thatBuckeye
05-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Hard to do really. One way to do it would be to tie it to ball placement. A QB with high awareness would automatically lead receivers away from defenders with throws whereas a qb with low awareness would constantly throw a receiver to coverage

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

JBHuskers
05-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Every time I hear Vision Cone, I think dunce cap.

http://bleedingedge.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/images/b/b8/Dunce-cap.jpg

Rudy
05-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Hard to do really. One way to do it would be to tie it to ball placement. A QB with high awareness would automatically lead receivers away from defenders with throws whereas a qb with low awareness would constantly throw a receiver to coverage

They are supposed to have custom ball placement windows for each route although I question this sometimes. Maybe the shape and/or location of the passing windows should change based on awareness. A good QB has good anticipation and throws WRs open. Maybe they could tweak the method to allow for this.

thatBuckeye
05-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Agreed. I would like to see footwork become the mechanic though. Use the right stick to turn your feet and shoulders towards targeted receiver and throw or take a big accuracy penalty.

Rudy
05-07-2014, 05:26 PM
I think it would be nice to have a fresh passing mechanic but I don't know how that would work. I'm fairly bad with the current system and adding more controls would make me really bad lol.

jaymo76
05-07-2014, 09:23 PM
I think it would be nice to have a fresh passing mechanic but I don't know how that would work. I'm fairly bad with the current system and adding more controls would make me really bad lol.

Something does need to happen with passing as downright awful QB's can look like superstars (eg Jordan Rodgers has an 89.4% completion % in my Bucs chise). However, until trajectories, wr's fighting for the ball, and DB mirror route running are addressed, the qb situation will continue to be problematic.

Plus, interceptions on the PS4 are crazy for 25. That issue needs serious attention. If the WR would go up and fight for the ball we would be good but deep passes are always under-thrown and the DB will go up for the ball but not the WR.

Rudy
05-08-2014, 04:10 AM
Deep poses being under thrown is a real complaint and a good example of faulty passingwindows.

skipwondah33
05-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Deep poses being under thrown is a real complaint and a good example of faulty passingwindows.Trajectory

No matter what you cannot place the ball where you want. If I have a WR in front of the defender and have a guy with a strong arm I should be able to put it ahead for either a catch or grossly overthrow when I try to. Doesn't happen though as it is always underthrown and takes a missle falling approach to the DB at times 4-5 yards behind the WR.

Even if I try to toss the ball 10-15 yards into the route, it will still take a beeline approach behind the WR giving the CB a chance for the pick instead of it being put ahead

So yeah those and the things Jaymo hit on need to be addressed..DB psycic route running, fight for ball, etc