PDA

View Full Version : JBHuskers' Fearless NFL Forecast

JBHuskers
08-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I like nothing more than trying to predict seasons. Here's my take on the NFL season for 2010.

AFC EAST
1. New York Jets*
2. New England Patriots
3. Miami Dolphins
4. Buffalo Bills

If the Miami Dolphins had a better defense, I would have placed them ahead of New England. I think the Jets are destined for the same type of run that the Patriots have had. I think Sanchez is the real deal, I think Greene is the real deal, and we all know Revis is the real deal (and he will be in playing week one....trust me). New England is getting older, and I honestly think their season is going to hinge on if Welker can get back to his normal 120 catch season ways...

AFC NORTH
1. Cincinnati Bengals*
2. Baltimore Ravens*
3. Pittsburgh Steelers
4. Cleveland Browns

Get your popcorn ready. The Bengals could be the greatest show on (field) turf. On 31 teams, T.O. makes a team worse because of his make-up, Cincinnati is the PEREFECT fit for him. Benson is finally to first round form, the defense is pretty solid. They have Gresham at TE....Bengals are for real I think. Ravens have a LOT of holes in their defense, they're going to have to win games 31-30 this year...which they are more than capable over. Rothlisberger's immaturity has cost him four to six games, and it is too much to catch Cincy and Baltimore.

AFC SOUTH
1. Houston Texans*
2. Indianapolis Colts*
3. Tennessee Titans
4. Jacksonville Jaguars

The dynasty of Indy in the South is going to end. The Texans were a sleeper to do it last year, they're my favorite to win the divison this year. I think Houston, Indy, and Tennesee are all going to be in the 8 to 10 win range, and like New England a few years ago, there could be a 10-win team here shut out of the playoffs. I think Vince Young has finally figured himself out and will be productive this year, but there just isn't much around him to give him other options when they put 8 in the box to stop Chris Johnson, but they could surprise as this will be the tightest divisoin.

AFC WEST
1. San Diego Chargers*
2. Oakland Raiders
3. Denver Broncos
4. Kansas City Chiefs

This to me is the most interesting division because Oakland and Kansas City are considerably better, but could be a year or two off from contending as San Diego slides. Don't underestimate the fact that BOTH Weiss and Crennell are in KC with Cassell, Charles, and Bowe....Weiss can make that offense click by mid-season at least. The Chargers have just enough to win this division, but the longer Jackson holds out, the further they're going to fall to the pack.

NFC EAST
1. Dallas Cowboys*
2. Washington Redskins
3. Philadelphia Eagles
4. New York Giants

This division is rather interesting with all the changes being made. McNabb will make Washington better as long as everyone stays healthy. Injuries mounting on the offense of Philly with Kolb's first full season at QB will make the slide I think because I think these injuires are going to linger all season. I think Dallas actually runs away with this divison this year by three games. Like Rothlisberger, Romo needs to shake his immaturity, and I think he will do so finally. Dallas has all the parts to become a serious contender to be the first team to be in a Super Bowl as the host city.

NFC NORTH
1. Green Bay Packers*
2. Minnesota Vikings*
3. Chicago Bears
4. Detroit Lions

With or without Favre, I think Green Bay still takes this divison. As much as I would like to put my Bears up there, there are too many question marks with how Martz will affect the offense that is devoid of a top WR, even though I seriously think Aromashodu will become a star this year....and Hester will get 90-100 catches. My beef is in the secondary with Chicago, and they just are not good enough to compete with Green Bay and Minnesota. With or without Favre, I think they will get 2nd regardless. The overall parts of Green Bay though make this team a threat. I think Greg Jennings or Aaron Rodgers could be an MVP candidate this year. I see 12-14 TD's for Jennings.

NFC SOUTH
1. New Orleans Saints*
2. Atlanta Falcons*
3. Carolina Panthers
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Who dat? Two dat? It's VERY possible because the Saints return 20 starters this year. New Orleans and Atlanta will be in a dog fight this year all year long, with the other two teams lagging behind. Don't be surprised if Tampa Bay comes out and hits 8-8 this year though. But the Saints are just as strong, and Atlanta should be even stronger with another year in for Ryan, Turner, and White. I think it could be a 12-win season for the Saints and a 10-win season for Atlanta.

NFC WEST
1. Arizona Cardinals*
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. Seattle Seahawks
4. St. Louis Rams

This divison has been a laughing stock for quite some time...but at least the 49ers are better. Not going to go with the majority here and pick the Niners to win the division. I think Leinart is going to come out and surprise everyone. He has the tools, and I think he's finally had enough time on the bench to get the "Hollywood" out of him. The Cardinals are a beast on defense as well. And Wisenhunt has had an improvement in wins every year since he's taken over at head coach. It'll be close, but I think I will give the nod to Arizona.

AFC Playoffs
Colts d. Chargers
Ravens d. Texans

Bengals d. Colts
Jets d. Ravens

Bengals d. Jets

NFC Playoffs
Packers d. Falcons
Cardinals d. Vikings

Saints d. Cardinals
Cowboys d. Packers

Saints d. Cowboys

SUPER BOWL
Saints d. Bengals

morsdraconis
08-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

Picking the Bengals to do anything is a recipe for absolute DISASTER.

Interesting picks though man. Good stuff (besides picking Dullass to win the NFC East when it's clearly not going to happen ;) ). Substitute Redskins for Cowboys and Put them against the Bengals and that's my dream Super Bowl right there (fan of both teams).

steelerfan
08-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I think the Jets look very good. On paper. The Jets had a perfect storm get them into the playoffs last year and then drew 2 opponents who were asking to be beaten. I wouldn't discount New England so quickly and it will be intereting to see how much Marshall adds to Miami (though I'd never pick them to win the division). The Jets biggest enemy will be hype and how a loud mouthed, cry baby coach handles adversity. I can see them being the best team in the league and I can see them rotting from the inside out.

The Bengals are interesting. They weren't as good as everyone thought last year, they faded horribly down the stretch and by time January rolled around they were done. I recently heard someone talk about 6 players that can destroy a team and ruin a season. 4 of them are now in Cincinnati. I'd pick Baltimore as the favorite. Their biggest issue is in the secondary where they look to be very vulnerable. It remains to be seen if Flacco can win games for them instead of just not losing them though Bolden should really boost his chances. I think everyone is making too big a deal of Roethlisberger's suspension. I truly believe it will only be 4 games (Der Fuhrer Goodell recently said "Ben is doing more than he's been asked to do"). There is not a team in the league that is better equipped to deal with losing their QB (Leftwich, Dixon, Batch who can compare with that?). The biggest questions for Pittsburgh are going to be how they handle losing Santonio, can they run the ball and can Troy and Aaron Smith (believe it or not the run D suffers greatly without him) stay healthy. I can see the Steelers being a contender and I can see them being an after thought.

Indy is still my pick in the South. Houston has alot of talent (no one has #18 though) but they haven't proven they can make a big leap (8-8, 8-8, 9-7) so I still hesitate to pick them. Tennessee is nearly impossible to figure out.

The West, I agree, belongs to San Diego. The Broncos seem to be headed in the wrong direction and the other 2 aren't ready to lead the pack (though KC may be on the fast track to doing so).

Dallas is the best team in the NFC East. But, I think they're all pretty good. This will be a fun division to watch.

I do think that Green Bay will be tough this year. Minnesota's hopes to win the division rest on Favre's ankle. They have no viable QB without him. The Bears have no QB.

The only thing that I can come up with to not pick the Saints is the Super Bowl hangover. They just visited the White House last week for crying out loud. If they haven't gotten fat and content, there's no reason to believe they won't win the South easily. Atlanta is the only other factor here.

Who cares about the West? Arizona is the only team in that division that I'd worry about playing. San Francisco has alot of pieces but the best they can hope for is winning the division by default because Leinart craps out. None of these teams is a contender.

JBHuskers
08-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

Picking the Bengals to do anything is a recipe for absolute DISASTER.

Interesting picks though man. Good stuff (besides picking Dullass to win the NFC East when it's clearly not going to happen ;) ). Substitute Redskins for Cowboys and Put them against the Bengals and that's my dream Super Bowl right there (fan of both teams).

You realize Cincy had the 4th best defense in the league last year? ;)

jaymo76
08-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Here's my Vegas bet for the SB....

Indianapolis vs Green Bay

jasonfrench
08-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Houston winning AFC South:

It will come down to Week 1: Colts at Texans.

If the Texans actually show up to the game (which is a crap shoot many weeks), then maybe the Texans are ready for Prime Time. Unfortunately, the Texans don't tend to show up to the NFL party until the last half of the season.

steelerfan
08-13-2010, 02:01 PM
I can agree that Houston would be somewhat behind the 8 ball if they lose that game, but it wouldn't define Indy either way. They've seen it all and lived to tell about it.

JBHuskers
08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
My first wrong could be Arizona after watching them last night :D unless Derek Anderson gets back to the fantasy juggernaut he was four or so years ago.

skipwondah33
08-24-2010, 09:31 AM
I still don't think they win that division. I think the 49ers will take it. Both have QB issues but San Fran's D will be tough

steelerfan
08-24-2010, 04:26 PM
I still don't think they win that division. I think the 49ers will take it. Both have QB issues but San Fran's D will be tough

Yeah, like I said before, the Niners may win that division by default. Someone has to.

jaymo76
08-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah, like I said before, the Niners may win that division by default. Someone has to.

Don't count out the Seahawks (yes I said Seahawks) just yet. Hasselbeck is feeling the pressure from Whitehurst and that may well drive him to preform. Also, the D looks very tight this year and I'm sure the new coaching staff will add a spark. The weak NFC WEST is a "pick em" at best.... well anyone of course except for Stl.

steelerfan
08-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Don't count out the Seahawks (yes I said Seahawks) just yet. Hasselbeck is feeling the pressure from Whitehurst and that may well drive him to preform. Also, the D looks very tight this year and I'm sure the new coaching staff will add a spark. The weak NFC WEST is a "pick em" at best.... well anyone of course except for Stl.

If no one gets hot in division play, we could see a 7-9 division winner, lol.

JBHuskers
08-25-2010, 08:35 AM
If no one gets hot in division play, we could see a 7-9 division winner, lol.

7-9 has made the playoffs before :D

Rudy
08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
7-9 has made the playoffs before :D

When? I don't think that's happened in the NFL yet.

morsdraconis
08-25-2010, 11:12 PM
No, it hasn't as far as I can remember. A couple 8-8 teams, but never 7-9.

JBHuskers
08-25-2010, 11:16 PM
When? I don't think that's happened in the NFL yet.

Yeah I guess not, I was thinking there was. That was probably in Tecmo Bowl. :D

SmoothPancakes
08-26-2010, 01:34 AM
It almost happened back in 2006. The last team that came close to making the playoffs at 7-9 was the New York Giants in 2006. They went into the final week with a 7-8 record and had they lost in the final game, and 4 other 7-8 teams lost, they would have won the tiebreaker of all the 7-9 teams. However, they won and went into the playoffs at 8-8, beating out the Panthers, Packers, and Rams, who were all 8-8 as well at the end of week 17.

JeffHCross
08-29-2010, 01:06 PM
I think Jimmy Clausen will be the Panthers starter by their 4th game. I also think the Panthers D will win at least one game for them this year.

Rudy
08-29-2010, 01:42 PM
I know they like Moore in Carolina but I think Claussen will be a 2nd round steal when it's all said and done.

jaymo76
08-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Looks like Leinart's days are numbered. NFl network was reporting that rumours are that Anderson will be named week one starter.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
I think Jimmy Clausen will be the Panthers starter by their 4th game. I also think the Panthers D will win at least one game for them this year.Yeah, I'm feeling even more confident in this prediction after this week's game. 3 INT's in the end zone, good grief.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 03:20 PM
And Clausen looks like a deer in the headlights against the Giants. A couple bad reads, and he holds the ball waaaaaaaaaaay too long against the Giants pass rush.

SmoothPancakes
09-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome to the NFL Jimmy boy. :D

JBHuskers
09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
And Clausen looks like a deer in the headlights against the Giants. A couple bad reads, and he holds the ball waaaaaaaaaaay too long against the Giants pass rush.

I thought he looked like a deer in the headlights 24/7 :D