PDA

View Full Version : SI: Eight Features the NFL Made EA Sports Remove from “Madden”

cdj
03-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Sports Illustrated's Jon Robinson has put together an article detailing eight features that the NFL has had removed or modified in EA SPORTS' Madden NFL franchise (http://extramustard.si.com/2014/03/12/ea-sports-madden-features-nfl-remove/). A licensee having final say over a product is not surprising - the NCAA also had features removed from EA's NCAA Football franchise over the years, including a Rivals.com branding within the Recruiting Mode and fans storming the field to tear down the goalpost following a big win.

[Sports Illustrated] reached out to a handful of former and current Madden producers to learn more about the role the so-called No Fun League (the Nixing Features League? Anyone?) has played in shaping the Madden franchise over the past 25 years.

Said one, “The ownership of the project was very much with EA, but the NFL does have approval rights, as is true of any company that works with licensors. This is not unique to Madden.” Others took a stronger position, such as the producer who told us, “The NFL is ultra-conservative and made us change or remove things all the time.”

Whatever the case, the league clearly has influence over the contents of the game—and as these eight example show, it doesn’t hesitate to use it.

1. The Ambulance
2. All Things Concussion
3. Hit Stick Violence
4. De-helmeting
5. Freewheeling Owner Mode
6. Celebrations
7. Leveling Bystanders
8. Dynamic Attendance (or lack thereof)

Click here to read the full article from Robinson (http://extramustard.si.com/2014/03/12/ea-sports-madden-features-nfl-remove/) and learn more about the eight features listed above.

SmoothPancakes
03-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Well, at least now we know who to properly blame for crapping all over some of highlight features of Maddens past and causing them to be removed from future versions. Thanks a lot NFL, you douchebags.

jaymo76
03-20-2014, 10:27 PM
The dynamic attendance issue is pretty lame IMO. Look at many, many stadiums around the NFL... they are NOT full and attendance fluctuates all the time. The NFL is not a gate drive league and worrying about "full stadiums" in a video game is a pretty sad comment with regards to the NFL's conservative nature.

In addition, I would love to know what a "freewheeling owner mode" refers to. Imagine the insanity and how hurt the NFL brand would be if you were allowed to change divisions, make your own uniforms via teambuilder and move to non pre-set expansion locations. The NFL may fold right then and there... :smh::fp:

Remember in the good ol' days when video games were about having fun...

WolverineJay
03-21-2014, 02:00 AM
1. The Ambulance (Funny when it happened during a HUM vs HUM game, but totally unnecessary for it to remain)
2. All Things Concussion (Eh head injuries is same thing)
3. Hit Stick Violence (That's all the game is now is big hit after big hit so that still exists)
4. De-helmeting (Again cool the first time you seen it, but it got old really quick as EA Tiburon's overkill programming was in full effect)
5. Freewheeling Owner Mode (Last gen owner's mode)
6. Celebrations (Still exist just not user controlled)
7. Leveling Bystanders (Sort of still exists as I routinely run over the refs on big plays)
8. Dynamic Attendance (Again its not really Dynamic but attendance does vary based on weather, and win-loss record of home team)

The NFL wants to control everything in a video game with their name/shield just like the NCAA did with NCAA Football. IMHO, It would be news if they didn't give a crap and let the developer do whatever they felt like.

steelerfan
03-21-2014, 02:30 AM
Yep.

cdj
03-21-2014, 07:29 AM
The dynamic attendance issue is pretty lame IMO. Look at many, many stadiums around the NFL... they are NOT full and attendance fluctuates all the time. The NFL is not a gate drive league and worrying about "full stadiums" in a video game is a pretty sad comment with regards to the NFL's conservative nature.

In addition, I would love to know what a "freewheeling owner mode" refers to. Imagine the insanity and how hurt the NFL brand would be if you were allowed to change divisions, make your own uniforms via teambuilder and move to non pre-set expansion locations. The NFL may fold right then and there... :smh::fp:

Remember in the good ol' days when video games were about having fun...

I wonder if "free-wheeling owner mode" was a reach/incorrect header in the article. No one can blame the NFL for wanting to keep the integrity of team logos, but they do allow relocation in-game - which surprises me as it basically allows the user to eliminate one existing team for a fictional one.

And the dreaded "f-word" - fun. It becomes more and more lost each year in gaming.

The NFL has also put a kibosh on player tattoos in the game. They also got involved (late) in having the recent NFL Blitz reboot get neutered.

I agree 100% that they should get final say on how their product is represented, but I get annoyed that in some instances they are trying to pretend their product is something it isn't. "Oh, we don't have any vicious hits, no tattoos on our players, players are very modest following scores, and fans pack each and every stadium weekly.."

steelerfan
03-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Meanwhile, NHL 14 has "Mild Concussion", "Concussion" and "Post Concussion Syndrome".

Rudy
03-22-2014, 05:24 AM
None of this shocks me at all.

CLW
03-22-2014, 07:04 AM
The NFL is anal about their image. With all of the lawsuits re: concussions possibly rightfully so.