PDA

View Full Version : Help building a defensive scheme

SirHellraiser
08-10-2010, 09:57 AM
does anyone know where i can look at to build my own defensive scheme

Keontez
08-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Defensive schemes in this game are like offensive schemes where you have a set of plays from a formation. Basically in a defensive scheme is built around a gameplan, that involves knowing your opponents strengths and weaknesses and trying to take away what he's good at. If your opp. has a good running attack, You wanna make sure that you have some good run fits. If he has a excellent passing attack, basically wanna get some pressure on him in the pocket and disrupt that.

Basic things you need for a defensive scheme is:
Know your Playbook.
I cant stress this enough, If you your playbook's blitz packages and coverage schemes and if they match up to the personnel you're good to go, and then it comes to playcalling which is whole other subject all together. Once you found a playbook that you're comfortable with learn it. Learn the Base packages, your run defense and your pass defenses.

3 good blitz packages.
To me I good blitz package included 3 blitzes out of the same alignment. I've been running the 4-2-5 since '10 and I have 3 blitzes each from the Normal, Bear, 4-4 and Nickel.

Coverage Schemes
You should know and use a Base coverage out of each formation just in case you have to play a "bend but dont break "type defense. You should know how your Cover 2 Scheme in the 4-3 Over should work as well as the Cover 2 Buc from the Normal. I also recommend getting into a real playbook, skip all the coachspeak and learn what makes these defenses work. Once I learned how to use "Robber" Coverage I've been a addict every since.