PDA

View Full Version : NBA Live 14 (PS4 & XB1) General Discussion

cdj
11-10-2013, 10:57 PM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3788/10792809455_43787fe39a_o.jpg

Amazon purchase links: PlayStation 4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CYS5GEQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CYS5GEQ&linkCode=as2&tag=thegamtai-20) - Xbox One (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX7FPKS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CX7FPKS&linkCode=as2&tag=thegamtai-20)

Use this thread to share your thoughts, ask questions, look for friends to play online, or post final next-gen game media from around the web for NBA Live 14.

cdj
11-16-2013, 01:03 AM
I was able to pick this one up tonight and might play for a bit once the 208 MB update downloads.

jaymo76
11-16-2013, 01:38 PM
I was able to pick this one up tonight and might play for a bit once the 208 MB update downloads.

Saw you were playing Live last night. I went to check out your twitch stream but you were done after I was finished with madden. Overall how would you rate it? From the videos at times it looks good and at other times not so much. I really like the half-time videos.

cdj
11-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Saw you were playing Live last night. I went to check out your twitch stream but you were done after I was finished with madden. Overall how would you rate it? From the videos at times it looks good and at other times not so much. I really like the half-time videos.

Too early to say. I've only played one game and a handful of Live Moments.

The game really needs a tutorial to handle EAs controls plus changes due to a new controller (namely touchpad + option buttons on DS4). I've seen some cool things and some weird things. The presentation is pretty sharp.

In my first game (on Rookie), I played as CHI and defeated UTAH by seven or so. I went into a big drought in the second half, but held on to win. I'm not sure if some gameplay issues are design related or user error (not having controls down).

JB and/or I will be streaming Live in a little bit.

Rudy
11-17-2013, 04:50 AM
How similar does the game feel to Live 10?

cdj
11-17-2013, 11:44 AM
How similar does the game feel to Live 10?

There are some similarities, but not really. In Live 10, you could use the right stick and get to the rim and/or free pretty easily. So far, I don't feel that way in Live 14. (Though, I'm still learning the controls and new dribble moves so maybe that could change.)

Right now, I don't think casual players can hop on Live and put up a ton of points (even on Rookie) which might turn them off. "Hardcore" players might not pick up all of the game's nuances without a tutorial mode, so they might not appreciate what it has to offer. The game is in a tough spot with those two aspects. I would be surprised if people like the game without putting some time into it. I am uploading the in-game manual video currently and along with Coach Options, there are a LOT of things you can do in the game. Now, I don't know how balanced or strong each option is, but there is a lot going on and for the user to learn.

The more I play and figure things out, I like it - but it is rough around the edges, there's no getting around that. For example, (I think Live 10 had this same issue) sometimes a player under the hoop tries a shot attempt and (it feels like the game has determined it will go in) so you get a shot animation that isn't natural, if even physically possible. Also, when you get within a few feet of the hoop, a shot attempt (in lay-up/dunk range) seemingly goes into a full fledged gather and shot/dunk animation that I'm not sure can be stopped (at least by the CPU). Sometimes it feels like that defender under the basket is oblivious or just doesn't have a proper counter attack logic or animation.

The presentation is sharp and it feels really rewarding when you find the open man for a jumper or can get to the rim after using the dribble moves, which I think existed in Live/NCAA 10.

jaymo76
11-17-2013, 12:39 PM
CDJ, can you comment on the career/dynasty modes yet? I really like the presentation and the rebounding looks very strong. Like I said on JB's twitch feed last night it has that look of NCAA BBALL 10. I'm really on the fence because I want to get a bball game to fill the NCAAfball void but I'm not sure. I love mycareer in 2k but I am in the minority as I have always preferred how EA basketball games play.

My biggest issues with ea seem to be no sliders and no injuries.

SmoothPancakes
11-17-2013, 12:49 PM
I can't remember if it was ever confirmed one way or the other, but does NBA Live 14 have full sliders for Human and CPU? There were some things I liked while watching JB's stream last night. The graphics on the stream sucked, but I'll give them a chance in the demo next weekend, personally see what they look like. I'd be willing to maybe give this a shot in a couple months after the price has dropped, but only if they have full sliders. There are a bunch of issues with the gameplay that will need fixed with sliders before I'd be able to even enjoy playing more than a couple games on it.

Rudy
11-17-2013, 05:24 PM
I can't believe they would ship a game without sliders but I've heard more than one person say that about Live. Are they buried in a hard to find section or do they truly not exists?

JBHuskers
11-17-2013, 05:39 PM
I can't believe they would ship a game without sliders but I've heard more than one person say that about Live. Are they buried in a hard to find section or do they truly not exists?

There are foul sliders. I haven't looked around for others quite yet.

I'll be live streaming this around 6:30 central.

SmoothPancakes
11-17-2013, 05:44 PM
If there are indeed no sliders whatsoever in NBA Live 14, then I officially am skipping this game. I was willing to still give it a chance last night, especially if the graphics in the demo looked better than those on JB's stream, but if there are no sliders, which this game has some major gameplay issues that absolutely require sliders to fix them, then I'm done. I won't even waste $2 renting it from Redbox. I'm done. Better luck next year EA.

SmoothPancakes
11-17-2013, 05:44 PM
There are foul sliders. I haven't looked around for others quite yet.

I'll be live streaming this around 6:30 central.

Foul sliders are a good start. Now we just need Human/CPU gameplay sliders.

Rudy
11-17-2013, 05:46 PM
I have a bad feeling there are no gameplay sliders. If true when is the last time a AAA sports game has shipped without them? I think every PS2 and PS3 game has had them. We'd have to go back to the PS1 or prior for a game like that. I don't think NBA Live 95 had them but this is ridiculous if true.

dhook27
11-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Judging by the vids I have watched the game is shit. Robotic player movement. terrible post game "interactions". Really cant judge tho until demo.

JBHuskers
11-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Firing up the stream again shortly:

www.twitch.tv/JBHuskers

I OU a Beatn
11-19-2013, 10:44 AM
IGN Gives it a 4.3/10

JBHuskers
11-19-2013, 11:28 AM
IGN Gives it a 4.3/10

Word is that he's a big 2K person. That's a ridiculous score. Low 70's is more appropriate.

JBHuskers
11-19-2013, 03:48 PM
I'll be streaming some NBA Live Ultimate Team tonight, maybe around 7 central.

jaymo76
11-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Played one game of the demo tonight. I was Golden State, home to OKC. I got blown up!!! The final was 46-12 OKC. It took me until the fourth to finally get a feel for the sticks. This game 100% needs the NCAA?madden skills trainer!!! Just picking up and playing it is very difficult. It took me forever to find out how to run plays and my D was just awful. Not a good combo.

Pros:
1. Amazing haltime and post game show. I can't believe I'm saying this but it may actually be too long
2. I love the option to view replays
3. presentation is excellent and commentary is much better than I thought
4. visuals are far better than what twitch showed the to be
5. rebounding looks really good but I amlost never got rebounds
6. zone D was pretty effective but the cpu adapts quickly
7. crowds look decent but not very dynamic IMO

Cons:
1. the D pad is pretty sluggish when trying to switch plays on offense and defense
2. r1 for identifiying players is an awkward position for this feature
3. keeping your position on D is very difficult
4. control of movement of players is frustrating as it feels like driving a 16 wheeler
5. complete absence of fouls & no injuries iin the game...???...
6. no players seem to go out of bounds... is there a boundary force field in effect?
7. Graphics for the players is pretty non-next gen IMO.

Overall it's better than what I have seen ths far. I am considering picking it up actually. However, I wish we could play around with more modes. I really want the 2k rpg experience but I like a lot of the gameplay mechanics of Live.

SCClassof93
11-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Word is that he's a big 2K person. That's a ridiculous score. Low 70's is more appropriate.

Bias or not, anyone that claims Live is even close to 2K14 is really showing bias :nod:

CLW
11-19-2013, 08:29 PM
IGN Gives it a 4.3/10 (http://IGN Gives it a 4.3/10)

Yeah from what I've seen Live is roughly 1/10 the game Knack is so that score seems a bit high to me. :nod:

CLW
11-19-2013, 08:32 PM
4/10

http://www.darkstation.com/reviews/nba-live-14/

SCClassof93
11-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Granted it is an average of "users" so far but meta critic says 4.5http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nba-live-14

I know I needed only a few minutes with it to tell it was vastly inferior to the game I have been playing.

Update: critics give it a 48

CLW
11-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Look at the great court awareness in this live ball situation:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZewFmbCcAA28Qx.png:large

JBHuskers
11-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Bias or not, anyone that claims Live is even close to 2K14 is really showing bias :nod:

Anyone with a brain isn't making that claim.

SCClassof93
11-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Anyone with a brain isn't making that claim.

Are you having frontal lobe issues again :P

jaymo76
11-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Played another two games of the demo. This game is NOT a 4/10. It's better than that (based on the demo) but it's also not a stellar game. I would probably go (based on the demo) with a 6.75 rating out of 10. Honestly I have had some fun playing the demo. The game challenges are a lot of fun. My fave would have to be the Celtics and heat buzzer beater.

As to the big negatives:

1. It seems like almost every short range shot gets blocked by the cpu... it's jsut insane
2 The hum players are just too slow and cumbersome to move.
* sprint does nothing IMO
* players on D cannot turn around quick enough
* movement/control is not fluid nor precise, regardless of player type
3. Honestly shooting seems to have no rhyme or reason... why does one shot go in and annother not? The hum has no influence at all. Free throws are a great example... push a button and you score or you don't...???...

Still there is something charming about the demo. It's not in 2k's league but I think it has a chance to be something sppecial one day... if EA doesn't walk away from it... which they may well do.... again...

JBHuskers
11-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Switching back to this for live stream....

KCClassic7807
11-20-2013, 08:12 AM

Lol same. I said to myself "JB is on NBA Live, let me go check him out.." Unfortunately, the stream was already completed. But I'm sure we will see plenty of gameplay from everyone who has it here on out..

(Sorry cdj ment to reply to the guy above you)

cdj
11-20-2013, 08:19 AM
3. Honestly shooting seems to have no rhyme or reason... why does one shot go in and annother not? The hum has no influence at all. Free throws are a great example... push a button and you score or you don't...???...

Maybe you noticed this, but underneath the shooter their icon will change depending on shot timing. IE: It will change white.

The issue is that no one knows for sure if it changing to white means good or bad timing, however. :blush: Yesterday, shots taken without the icon changing color went in for me. but others are saying that a white icon means proper timing and feature most of their shots going in.

JBHuskers
11-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Are you having frontal lobe issues again :P

Never once did I say this is comparable to 2K. You must be high.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/GIFS/smokey_zps03139054.gif?t=1384962221

SCClassof93
11-20-2013, 01:55 PM

Given 2k is getting around 8 to 8.5, would you say "low 70's" is more "comparable" than 4.5?? :popcorn::nod:

JBHuskers
11-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Given 2k is getting around 8 to 8.5, would you say "low 70's" is more "comparable" than 4.5?? :popcorn::nod:

You're starting to use Ram logic now. :D

jaymo76
11-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Maybe you noticed this, but underneath the shooter their icon will change depending on shot timing. IE: It will change white.

The issue is that no one knows for sure if it changing to white means good or bad timing, however. :blush: Yesterday, shots taken without the icon changing color went in for me. but others are saying that a white icon means proper timing and feature most of their shots going in.

Ah... interesting. I didn't see that at all. I will try it out after the kids are sleeping.

jaymo76
11-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Jb and whoever else has both Live and 2k14:

I would love to see a pro and cons list for both games. What are you overall feelings from both bball games? Is t even close or is it 2k by a country mile? Honestly I am most interested in the my player type mode and it seems as though 2k is all about rpg while Live is a basic calendar sim. Is that about right???

I OU a Beatn
11-20-2013, 07:24 PM

I would love to see a pro and cons list for both games. What are you overall feelings from both bball games? Is t even close or is it 2k by a country mile? Honestly I am most interested in the my player type mode and it seems as though 2k is all about rpg while Live is a basic calendar sim. Is that about right???

Have you played NBA 2k? I've only seen videos of NBA Live, but I'm pretty confident in saying the two aren't even close. NBA is right up there with The Show as the best sports simulation, IMO. On PS4 and the almost lifelike graphics, it's only better.

jaymo76
11-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Have you played NBA 2k? I've only seen videos of NBA Live, but I'm pretty confident in saying the two aren't even close. NBA is right up there with The Show as the best sports simulation, IMO. On PS4 and the almost lifelike graphics, it's only better.

No I have never played 2k bball, only the College Hoops 2k series. Choops was an awesome series but saying that, I also absolutely love NCAA BBALL 10 by Ea. I have seen the 2k videos and the presentation sounds and looks great but a few people streaming live last night said that 2k looks amazing but Live plays more realistic. don't know any of the people saying that o I would rather hear it from voices that I trust at TGT.

CLW
11-21-2013, 07:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME1fJa6vv28

I've seen enough of this game to conclude with certainty that this game BLOWS and only a moron would purchase Live over 2K and there is ZERO reason to buy two NBA games a year.

skipwondah33
11-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Have you played NBA 2k? I've only seen videos of NBA Live, but I'm pretty confident in saying the two aren't even close. NBA is right up there with The Show as the best sports simulation, IMO. On PS4 and the almost lifelike graphics, it's only better.A big 2K friend of mine said the gameplay and forced animations are worse on the PS4 version on 2K.

And trust me he is all things 2K basketball.

I know from watching a few streams of his I kept seeing that jump in the air swing pass across body pass. And some of the movement looked clunky for some reason. Like turning the corner around a player..should be taking a direct path. Yet the player didn't do the transition smooth at all. Tough to explain, but some odd sequences played out.

Even still yes it is better than Live

I OU a Beatn
11-21-2013, 08:39 AM
I've honestly seen none of that. All the animations I've seen have been natural looking to me. I don't think they're smooth, but that's because of the engine they're using which gives it a more realistic feel.

Regardless, even if it does have some issues, it's on about 10 levels above NBA Live. It's truly not even remotely close.

SCClassof93
11-21-2013, 08:54 AM
I've honestly seen none of that. All the animations I've seen have been natural looking to me. I don't think they're smooth, but that's because of the engine they're using which gives it a more realistic feel.

Regardless, even if it does have some issues, it's on about 10 levels above NBA Live. It's truly not even remotely close.

+1

Only took me five minutes with Live, inferior product in every area when compared to 2k.

JBHuskers
11-21-2013, 11:51 AM
I haven't seen anyone say it's on par with 2K.

The game itself is fun to play. I really am liking the gameplay once I have learned a few things. That is the problem, there is no tutorial or practice mode, so people just dismiss it after five minutes; which is not nearly enough time with the game.

SCClassof93
11-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I haven't seen anyone say it's on par with 2K.

The game itself is fun to play. I really am liking the gameplay once I have learned a few things. That is the problem, there is no tutorial or practice mode, so people just dismiss it after five minutes; which is not nearly enough time with the game.

It should not take a troglodyte five minutes to figure out this is an inferior product compared to the competion:D

JBHuskers
11-21-2013, 12:14 PM
It should not take a troglodyte five minutes to figure out this is an inferior product compared to the competion:D

You're missing the fucking point :fp:

SCClassof93
11-21-2013, 12:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNS42Na2mpc

SCClassof93
11-21-2013, 12:42 PM

I only had a few minutes with Live and it was more than I needed to see the massive disparity in the quality of product when compared with 2k. The myplayer mode alone is monopolizing my game time. I am over 45 games into the season.

Comparison video
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/nba-live-14-and-nba-2k14-full-court-comparison-on-/2300-6416239/

Stan HAMsen
11-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Damn, that is a mean groove Jimmy Castor's band is laying down. Snazzy jackets too. :rock:

JBHuskers
11-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Letter from NBA LIVE 14 Executive Producer Sean O’Brien (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-open-letter)

I’m not going to lie; it’s been a rough week. As you can imagine, this isn’t exactly the NBA LIVE comeback story we were hoping for this year.

We hear loud and clear that some of you are disappointed in various aspects of NBA LIVE 14, and I’m sorry if the game doesn’t live up to your expectations. Looking at your feedback, we have laid out a plan to make NBA LIVE 14 a better game as quickly as we can.

First, you’ve told us that the game is too hard to learn, and that the only way to figure it out is through frustrating trial-and-error. As a result, we are working on improving the way the game teaches the controls and on-boards new users. We realize that every single one of you is a new user and know we need to make the game easier to understand and simpler to pick up and play.

We’re also conducting an ongoing series of Twitch Live Streams to teach the skills that will help make your game experience a better one. We have our producers and designers online seven days a week to answer your questions and to offer other helpful game advice. Additionally, we’ve posted Controller Guide, Perfecting Your Styleand Levels of the Dribble blogs on the NBA LIVE website which we hope will help you with basic offense, defense, play calling and more.

We’re not going to stop there. You’ve also let us know that you’re disappointed by the graphics and animations, and I can tell you that we are committed to making drastic and immediate improvements. In order to get gameplay up and running this year we had to prioritize. We felt authentic gameplay, control and the connected experience would provide the best foundation for the future. As a result, game visuals and animation polish suffered. Improvements on these fronts are also in development now for NBA LIVE 14. You will notice in the coming weeks and months that the game’s visuals and animation will improve significantly.

A goal from the start was to stay relevant to the ongoing NBA season and evolve your gaming experience. We’ve been hearing that you love LIVE Season, and many of you are having a lot of fun with BIG Moments. We’re really glad to hear you’re enjoying the mode, and rest assured we will continue updating LIVE Season with new BIG Moments and NBA Rewind games every single day of the season. We’ve also gotten a lot of great feedback on LIVE Ultimate Team, and we’ve still got some big announcements and major additions coming down the road, so stick around for that.

Let me wrap up with this; for those of you who have supported us throughout this development cycle and continue to have our backs now, thank you. We’ve got a lot of work to do; I’ve got a lot of work to do. It started 12 months ago, and continues until we build this franchise bigger and better than it ever was. This is just the first chapter in the NBA LIVE comeback story.

jaymo76
11-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Letter from NBA LIVE 14 Executive Producer Sean O’Brien (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/nba-live-14-open-letter)

I’m not going to lie; it’s been a rough week. As you can imagine, this isn’t exactly the NBA LIVE comeback story we were hoping for this year.

We hear loud and clear that some of you are disappointed in various aspects of NBA LIVE 14, and I’m sorry if the game doesn’t live up to your expectations. Looking at your feedback, we have laid out a plan to make NBA LIVE 14 a better game as quickly as we can.

First, you’ve told us that the game is too hard to learn, and that the only way to figure it out is through frustrating trial-and-error. As a result, we are working on improving the way the game teaches the controls and on-boards new users. We realize that every single one of you is a new user and know we need to make the game easier to understand and simpler to pick up and play.

We’re also conducting an ongoing series of Twitch Live Streams to teach the skills that will help make your game experience a better one. We have our producers and designers online seven days a week to answer your questions and to offer other helpful game advice. Additionally, we’ve posted Controller Guide, Perfecting Your Styleand Levels of the Dribble blogs on the NBA LIVE website which we hope will help you with basic offense, defense, play calling and more.

We’re not going to stop there. You’ve also let us know that you’re disappointed by the graphics and animations, and I can tell you that we are committed to making drastic and immediate improvements. In order to get gameplay up and running this year we had to prioritize. We felt authentic gameplay, control and the connected experience would provide the best foundation for the future. As a result, game visuals and animation polish suffered. Improvements on these fronts are also in development now for NBA LIVE 14. You will notice in the coming weeks and months that the game’s visuals and animation will improve significantly.

A goal from the start was to stay relevant to the ongoing NBA season and evolve your gaming experience. We’ve been hearing that you love LIVE Season, and many of you are having a lot of fun with BIG Moments. We’re really glad to hear you’re enjoying the mode, and rest assured we will continue updating LIVE Season with new BIG Moments and NBA Rewind games every single day of the season. We’ve also gotten a lot of great feedback on LIVE Ultimate Team, and we’ve still got some big announcements and major additions coming down the road, so stick around for that.

Let me wrap up with this; for those of you who have supported us throughout this development cycle and continue to have our backs now, thank you. We’ve got a lot of work to do; I’ve got a lot of work to do. It started 12 months ago, and continues until we build this franchise bigger and better than it ever was. This is just the first chapter in the NBA LIVE comeback story.

I appreciate the honesty in that statement. I really am pulling for them because as I have said, LIVE can be fun at times and if the series gets all it's ducks in a row it will be a competitive offering in ball.

JBHuskers
11-22-2013, 03:44 PM
I appreciate the honesty in that statement. I really am pulling for them because as I have said, LIVE can be fun at times and if the series gets all it's ducks in a row it will be a competitive offering in ball.

Sounds like we won't have to wait for 15 to see some significant changes; which is good. They could have just mailed this in and said we'll be back next year.

Kingpin32
11-22-2013, 03:46 PM
I think that if they had better marketing for this game, they may have fared a bit better than they did. In the 2 console launches I've worked, and considering the PS4 was out a week prior, we haven't sold 1 copy of NBA Live.

JBHuskers
11-22-2013, 03:48 PM
I think that if they had better marketing for this game, they may have fared a bit better than they did. In the 2 console launches I've worked, and considering the PS4 was out a week prior, we haven't sold 1 copy of NBA Live.

Yeah the marketing or lack thereof for this was baffling.

CLW
11-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Look kudos for "honesty" but these questions went unanswered: (1) did you REALLY not see all of these issues before giving it out to the public to buy? (2) why should i give your product even the thought of a purchase when your direct competitor delivers a FAR SUPERIOR product for the SAME PRICE?; (3) who is this "some" pretty much everyone or at a bare minimum a damn near consensus has formed from the public that this game isn't up to snuff PERIOD (Metacritic Average is a 45)

45. That has to be the LOWEST score I've ever seen for a "AAA" title from a "major" publisher.

CLW
11-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Yeah the marketing or lack thereof for this was baffling.

there was NO marketing b/c they KNEW the game well SUCKS. I'll just call it like it is. The game isn't up to snuff. EA knew it and release it anyway b/c they wanted to sell at least a few copies and not have to deal with another cancelled game in the "series".

JBHuskers
11-22-2013, 04:11 PM
there was NO marketing b/c they KNEW the game well SUCKS. I'll just call it like it is. The game isn't up to snuff. EA knew it and release it anyway b/c they wanted to sell at least a few copies and not have to deal with another cancelled game in the "series".

The game doesn't suck. It's actually really solid gameplay wise. Are the graphics up there with 2K? Hell no. But there are a lot of good things with this game besides the "looks" of it.

jaymo76
11-22-2013, 04:28 PM
The game doesn't suck. It's actually really solid gameplay wise. Are the graphics up there with 2K? Hell no. But there are a lot of good things with this game besides the "looks" of it.

Agreed JB. The foundation is there. I think 15 could be a solid offering. That being said, right now I would choose 2k by a country mile.

JBHuskers
11-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Agreed JB. The foundation is there. I think 15 could be a solid offering. That being said, right now I would choose 2k by a country mile.

Yeah there is no comparing the two. Never has been.

But Live on it's own is enjoyable, and there are STILL updates to come for THIS game.

jaymo76
11-30-2013, 12:24 PM
You guys still playing this game??? I played the demo again last night. It really is very different from 2k re how it plays. Some stuff I like more than 2k (eg the right stick controls) and some stuff, not so much (eg how difficult it is to move players).

cdj
11-30-2013, 09:40 PM
You guys still playing this game??? I played the demo again last night. It really is very different from 2k re how it plays. Some stuff I like more than 2k (eg the right stick controls) and some stuff, not so much (eg how difficult it is to move players).

I am. Most of my time has been spent in B1G Moments & Ultimate Team. I want to start Rising Star mode and ultimately Dynasty at some point.

There are some things I like, some I don't - and I am still learning controls & in-depth gameplay features each time out. I've never played a game that needed a tutorial more. There's some hardcore stuff buried in there.

JBHuskers
12-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Played a shit ton of it on Friday night, til about 3 in the morning. Doing a Celtics dynasty and playing Ultimate Team.

JBHuskers
12-03-2013, 11:36 AM
I learned the hard way that if you cut someone, you don't get any cap reprieve :D

Wanted to get rid of Kris Humprhies and his ridiculous contract, same with Gerald Green. I flat out cut Humphries, but was able to trade Green and another player to the Bulls for Boozer.

cdj
12-21-2013, 01:01 PM
First major game update was available yesterday (http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news-updates-gameplay/article/title-update-1).

The most important piece that we’re adding is a change to our technology around our LIVE Update system. This is the first step in our plans for NBA LIVE 14. Many of the changes in this update are things you won’t actually see – technology additions that will pave the way for the additions to come. This will allow us to update and add content such as gameplay tuning, new animations, audio and visual assets directly to you as they become available. This applies to cosmetic changes like new uniforms, shoes, accessories and so on, but also allows for ongoing gameplay and graphical improvements.

While new technology is a big part of what we’re releasing, there are other, immediately apparent improvements that players will notice right away. We’ve tuned shooting so that nailing the timing for a jump shot is a bit easier, as well as cutting down the number of blocked jumpers on the perimeter. These enhancements should make both mid-range and long-range shooting more realistic, and will make it more fun to play as a stretch 4 or a sharpshooting guard.

I played a little bit last night and thought some of the animations played were a little smoother and/or perhaps selected more wisely. Though, it was at 1 AM so I may have been seeing things.

There is also a new tutorial video online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vt1oFUZwSY

jaymo76
12-23-2013, 09:36 PM
If they drop the price on this game I will happily pick it up. However for right now I will pass as I want to get some more bang for my buck. I hope the improvements keep coming and EA stays committed to this game. I think it has real potential.

Rudy
12-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Some guys on OS seem to have grown to like the game. It appears the Synergy updates with the rosters are being used to fix some problems through ratings edits. Everyone says it's ugly but after awhile it grows on you.

JBHuskers
12-24-2013, 09:17 AM
I've always said it's a solid game. It's just too cool to bash on an EA game, especially Live for the 2K homers.

JBHuskers
12-24-2013, 12:58 PM
One of the Game Changers just posted that after the update, his status on the game went from rent to buy. Said it was painful to play before, but now he's playing it non-stop.

cdj
12-31-2013, 08:46 AM
It's not a universal issue, but some PS4 users (myself included :() are having the game hang up for 7-10+ minutes when it attempts to Check Roster Data when going into each mode, making it extremely annoying to do anything.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/nba-live/697251-checking-roster-data-taking-1-5-minutes.html
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9883260.page

cdj
01-05-2014, 07:10 PM
There's been a lot of people talking about struggles shooting and on offense in Live. Yesterday in Ultimate Team (so with a souped up roster), I completed the final game in a Fantasy Challenge with a 31-point victory, shooting 68% from the floor and 6 of 8 from three-point range. I'd like to say there was some great revelation behind it, but it was really just getting to the rim (some spin move spamming) and hitting players who were completely wide-open for jumpers. It was fun to just throttle the CPU.

Stan HAMsen
01-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Just played this for the first time. I played while the install was finishing, so I think not all of the options were available.

Playing as New Orleans, I lost at home to Orlando 38-33. I was 14-38 from the field, but 9-12 in the 4th. I missed from all over the floor but only made 2 shots outside the lane. Both of those were in the 4th, so maybe I was starting to get a feel for it. I couldn't figure out how to get the motion offense going or how to back it down from the post, so driving the lane was pretty much my only option, I guess.

Presentation seems pretty good. I like Jalen Rose, so it's cool to hear him. Halftime show is probably the longest, most in depth halftime show I have ever seen on a sports video game. Lots of stats, lots of highlights, and lots of commentary from Jalen.

JBHuskers
01-08-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm still trying to get my shooting touch on anything higher than rookie :D

Stan HAMsen
01-08-2014, 03:28 PM
I really like the look of the menus.

Stan HAMsen
01-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Apparently, I wasn't connected before so I'm just now getting the 3 updates.

psusnoop
01-08-2014, 03:43 PM
I am looking forward to getting home tonight here to play.

cdj
01-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Playing as New Orleans, I lost at home to Orlando 38-33. I was 14-38 from the field, but 9-12 in the 4th. I missed from all over the floor but only made 2 shots outside the lane. Both of those were in the 4th, so maybe I was starting to get a feel for it. I couldn't figure out how to get the motion offense going or how to back it down from the post, so driving the lane was pretty much my only option, I guess.

- In pre-game, go to Game Settings and you can select Home and Away Auto Motion Calling. I think it defaults to Manual, but change it to Auto and that should help. (I would recommend putting Show Play Art to FULL.) I also run Cut most possessions, which is down once on the d-pad. This gets motion, a man in the post, and a guy going along baseline off a screen.

- To go between face-up and back to basket, press R3. With your man posted up, use R2 and directional to try and back him towards the basket.

Stan HAMsen
01-08-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm glad there are cheerleaders, but they could definitely be more next gen, haha.

Stan HAMsen
01-08-2014, 04:46 PM
What are y'all doing for dynasty games? How long are qtrs, do you like auto subs, etc, anything really.

Stan HAMsen
01-08-2014, 05:16 PM
I would recommend putting Show Play Art to FULL.

Does this work with the d-pad plays? I tried it but didn't see anything.

After seeing that play art in the tutorial video, I definitely need that.

JBHuskers
01-08-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm glad there are cheerleaders, but they could definitely be more next gen, haha.

They look like they have on training bras :D

What are y'all doing for dynasty games? How long are qtrs, do you like auto subs, etc, anything really.

Mine are short. 5 minutes just to get through.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Stan HAMsen
01-08-2014, 06:16 PM
I prefer Baseline Low over the broadcast style camera, but it could be a little closer to the action.

ryby6969
01-08-2014, 07:01 PM
I have played 2 games and a few thoughts on my brief experience with the game:

-The players lack the "explosion" you see in the NBA. It is almost like they are running in mud. I was using OKC and it would take almost half the court for Westbrook to get to full speed. Players like him are dynamic because of their ability to blow right by guys in just a few steps.

-Along the lines of the explosion, all the players feel generally the same minus their shooting ability. I played a game as OKC and NO and the only real difference I could tell was their shooting abilities.

-One thing I would like is the ability to have more control over the typed of shot I get. It seems like most jumpshots do not have enough arc and seem too "hard". I would like to be able to put some more air on the ball if my shot is being contested.

-I have started 5 different games trying things and have not lost a tip off yet.

Stan HAMsen
01-08-2014, 07:54 PM
I can't get manual substitutions to work.

cdj
01-08-2014, 08:15 PM

Around Xmas, they had Santa hats on in-game.

Does this work with the d-pad plays? I tried it but didn't see anything.

After seeing that play art in the tutorial video, I definitely need that.

Unfortunately, no those plays do not. However, somewhere in the settings you can see the full plays and diagrams for each coach. I *think* Cut (and the other quick plays) are in there, but I'm not 100% sure.

-Along the lines of the explosion, all the players feel generally the same minus their shooting ability. I played a game as OKC and NO and the only real difference I could tell was their shooting abilities.

-One thing I would like is the ability to have more control over the typed of shot I get. It seems like most jumpshots do not have enough arc and seem too "hard". I would like to be able to put some more air on the ball if my shot is being contested.

-I have started 5 different games trying things and have not lost a tip off yet.

- Play against Brooklyn & San Antonio. I think Williams & Parker play differently (PITA) and are tough to guard with the P&R.

Closer to the rim, L1+Square (shoot) will do a floater, I think. The same combo does bank shots, IIRC. I may need to double check the controls; I'm second guessing myself....

EDIT - L1 + Square is a bank shot unless you are moving, then it is a floater.

I can't get manual substitutions to work.

During timeouts or during the action?

Historically, I have never thought subs worked correctly in Live when using the 'packages,' such as Free Throw, Shooters, etc. but I thought that and individual subs were working in 14. I could be wrong though. What is happening for you?

Stan HAMsen
01-08-2014, 08:58 PM
What is happening for you?

I made changes to the line up after a foul. Horn sounds after the first free throw, but none of my subs change. Made the second free throw, but the shooter didn't sub out. Called a time out, still no subs.

Looks like it won't matter to me. I was only wanting to manually sub because I hadn't set my rotation properly. It looks like, after one game, that Auto Subs will follow my game plan pretty much the same way that I would do it manually. Good. I don't really want to have to micromanage that part of the game anyway.

I started a dynasty with New Orleans. It is nice that I can set the expectations as a rebuilding year. That makes me feel like I can take the season to learn the game without worrying about missing the playoffs because of a slow start.

For now, I'm playing 6 min quarters on Pro. I set simulated quarters at 8, I think.

jaymo76
01-08-2014, 11:42 PM
My gosh, I forgot how hard it is to shoot in this game. On pro I only shot 28% from the field. It does seem like cpu blocks have been toned down though and that's great. The players are still a little too slow moving and reacting for my tastes but at least the blocks have been addressed. Overall the game feels a lot more polished from the demo I have played.

Thanks again CDJ!

SmoothPancakes
01-09-2014, 12:48 AM
I just started playing this tonight, only a quarter and a half into my first game on it, but some very early observations.

* My god is the scoring streaky. Playing Milwaukee at Denver, Bucks open the game with a 7-2 run, then I got on a 13-4 run over a period of 3 or 4 minutes, then the Bucks go on a 10-0 run over a period of 3 or 4 minutes. So far, there is no back and forth. Your team sucks while the other team scores and runs up the score (or closes the lead), then after 4 or 5 minutes, it switches, the other team sucks and your team goes on a run and builds up a lead or closes the gap.

* Does anybody have any idea on shooting? I can't find any rhyme or reason when it comes to shooting. I can take two similar situations, have a player take a wide open, undefended 3 point shot, hold the button down the same length of time, control the player exactly the same, release the button at the same point of the shot, and yet one will swish and the other clanks off the rim. When I went on a 13-4 run, it seemed like I couldn't miss anything, 3-pointers, layups, dunks, jump shots, whatever. I'm currently mired in the middle of the Bucks going on a 10-0 run and it doesn't matter what I do, every single shot clanks out, even though they were the exact same shots I was taking during my 13-4 run.

* As others have pointed out, they need to work on acceleration some, players move a bit sluggish at times and some players that have that "go" speed up and down the court, it takes half the court for them to reach that "go" speed in the game.

* Sliders! This game not having any sliders was a concern of mine clear back in October, and playing it right now, it still is an issue. There are a lot of things this game does good. There are a lot of things this game does terribly. Some of those things that this game does terribly could easily be remedied by the user being able to adjust sliders and self-fix some of the problems on the court.

SmoothPancakes
01-09-2014, 01:40 AM
Just finished my first game, played 7 minute quarters. Denver (me) beats Milwaukee 73-64. I won, thanks to free throws. Ended the game going 10-10 in free throws in the final minute (my only points of the final minute), taking what was a 63-61 lead and turning into a 9 point win. Despite many issues throughout the game with missed shots (despite being what I considered clean and solid shots) and multiple minutes of one team or the other going on large streaks (7-2 to start, 13-4, 10-0, etc), I still managed to shoot 56% for the game, shoot 40% from 3-point range (one thing I love about Denver, never a shortage of solid 3-point shooting players) and 73% from the free throw line.

I still can't quite figure out the exact method of good shots vs. bad shots, but I've been able to figure out the proper timing on free throws (after going 2-6 in the first half) to turn them into automatic points every time I go to the line.

The scoring in the second half was still very streaky, no true back and forth scoring.

Rebounding, tune down the CPU rebounding just a bit please! I had Bucks players (tall or short, didn't matter) come flying up out of the pack to rebound the ball while my players just stood there hopping up and down off the ground.

Defense, am I the only one having trouble defending the ball in the paint or is anyone else having issues? I can defend pretty well up the court and along the perimeter, but once it gets into the paint, one or two quick moves by the ball carrier and they go shoot past my player to the bucket, while my defender just sits there for a good solid second or two before I can control them again. I can't begin to count how many very frustrating points I gave up in the paint because my defender would just stand there instead of trying to block the shot or make a play in the air while the defender just shot past him after making a quick move and laid it up with no pressure.

Now, one very good thing I noticed during the game, you CAN drive to the basket and make plays in the paint in NBA Live. One thing I hate, hate, hated about NBA 2K is it's damn near impossible to drive to the basket. Every time I'd try to drive to the basket, all a defender had to do was step into the lane and it was like hitting a brick wall. My player would get sucked right into the defender and even though I was going at a full sprint, bam, instantly stopped on a dime and the play ruined.

NBA Live, countless times I sat along the perimeter with the ball in the hands of Ty Lawson, set up a screen or pick, make a quick move (while hitting the turbo/sprint/boost/whatever the hell they call it while making the move so I could get some speed built up early) and then cut inside and sprint to the basket for a dunk or layup, often going through or past two or three defenders to make the play. Ty Lawson ended with 34 points in the game. 6 came from the 3-point line, 4 came from the free throw line. The remaining 24 points came from layups, dunks, drives to the basket and overall a bunch of paint play that I was able to successfully do for a change in NBA Live, while half of it would have been impossible to do in NBA 2K (or at least was impossible in the past, I don't know what next-gen 2K is like, if there's still defensive suction or whatnot).

So far, just one game in, so I can't really grade, praise or condemn the game with such a small sample size. However, so far, it's not bad. There are some things that really do need fixed, sliders really do need to be added (#1 request for NBA Live 15!) and it is definitely rough around the edges, there is no doubt about that. But, it also does some things well and there are at least one or two areas that it does better than NBA 2K. Overall, I'm content with it so far, we'll see how much, if any, my opinion changes as I continue to play more games, as I dive into Dynasty, Rising Star, etc. Ultimate Team, much like Madden, FIFA, NCAA, etc, I really don't give a damn about it, but I'll at least briefly try it to see what it's like in NBA Live, but even then, I doubt I spend much time on it as it has never been that much of an interest for me in any other sports game in the past.

Stan HAMsen
01-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Not sure why, but my last game of a Dynasty didn't save last night.

Stan HAMsen
01-09-2014, 01:46 PM
It does seem like cpu blocks have been toned down though and that's great.

I don't even want to imagine what it was like before. The CPU is averaging about 8 blocks per game against me, also playing on pro.

Stan HAMsen
01-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Got my first dynasty win in game 3 at home against Charlotte, 48-40.

I went 20/43 from the field, and 1-6 outside the lane. Charlotte had 6 blocks.

Really, the big difference between this game and others is that I only turned it over 7 times.

I'm starting to be able to run the Cut quick play pretty good. The double screen quick play is my only chance at a 3 pointer, I've stopped shooting them except when the timing is good on that play. Also one of the set plays that I don't remember the name of, but I don't think I'm running it according to plan anyway, haha.

ryby6969
01-09-2014, 03:13 PM
After playing a few more games this time using my terrible Ultimate Team, it just feels this game is one good development cycle away from being a really solid game. The main issue I am having is just the consistency with the game. One play it will feel like a really polished game and then the very next possession it feels like a beta.

I still feel like the player movement is way too sluggish. Almost like there is a slight delay in it reading my commands. I think it was smooth that mentioned sliders and I agree completely as well as the blocked shots. I also like some of the animations but the problem is there are just not enough playing out. I think I have seen the same few rebound animations every time. Maybe it is just me, but it also feels like the court may be too small. Just seems like it is a tad bit congested at times.

BTW, I have had the game crash on me in the middle of a game twice now. This last time I was in the 3rd QTR and was picking a play and I got an error code and it sent me back to the XMB menu.

psusnoop
01-09-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm only 1 game in as I have been busy these last 2 days but 1 game and watching my 2 kids play against each other I thought the game was good.

I've noticed that if I square up on an offensive player I made them run out the shot clock 3 different times. I was confused as the offensive player CPU AI was just standing there dribbling as the clock hit 0.

Shooting has been tough but I'm trying on PRO and thought it would be better to take my lumps early and learn.

Free throw shooting is tough, in the very limited amount I've had I have struggled tremendously. It's just a feel thing and I'm sure I will get used to it but right out of the gate I've struggled.

Stan HAMsen
01-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Are there supposed to be quick plays when you just tap the d-pad once? They only work for me when I tap it twice.

jaymo76
01-09-2014, 07:32 PM
I am really struggling with free throws and shooting in general. It would be great if shooting had a power metre for all shots so you could see the shot zone and know when to hit it. I find 2k's shooting system is much easier to learn.

SmoothPancakes
01-10-2014, 05:37 AM
I am really struggling with free throws and shooting in general. It would be great if shooting had a power metre for all shots so you could see the shot zone and know when to hit it. I find 2k's shooting system is much easier to learn.

That's been my big issue when playing. I can't find any exact rhyme or reason when it comes to why one shot misses and one goes through (when both look like perfect shots). I can't tell if there is any signal or meter or something to tell you when to release the button (and thus release the ball during the shot). Many of my shots are get open, chuck it up and pray.

For free throws, I actually have for a method for them. Playing with Denver vs. Milwaukee, I found there's a certain point when the player is winding the ball up to shoot, that if you release the button at that exact point, it will go through as a swish every time. I finished the game going 10-10 in free throws with 4 different players, all with different speeds when it comes to taking a free throw shot, but always releasing the button at the same point. I'll have to play another game to remember the exact moment and be able to describe it or record, but free throws I've been able to nail down and turn into "money" shots and points.

Still suck at regular shooting though. :D

cdj
01-10-2014, 08:35 AM
I've noticed that if I square up on an offensive player I made them run out the shot clock 3 different times. I was confused as the offensive player CPU AI was just standing there dribbling as the clock hit 0.

That issue was more prevalent before some of the game updates, believe it or not.

Are there supposed to be quick plays when you just tap the d-pad once? They only work for me when I tap it twice.

Yes.

Single Tap (Offense)

Up - SCREEN
Left -ISOLATION
Down - CUT
Right - POST UP

Double Tap (Offense) [Basically same as single tap, but you get to select individual player for focus of play]

Up - SCREEN (Then press icon of specific player to set a screen; unsure of who/why it picks person to screen for)
Left - ISOLATION (Then press icon of specific player you want isolated; must then pass them the ball to take advantage)
Down - CUT (Then press icon of specific player you want to make cut)
Right - POST UP (Then press icon of specific player you want to post up)

Single Tap (Defense)

Up - 2-3 ZONE
Left - 3-2 ZONE
Down - MAN TO MAN
Right - FULL COURT

Double Tap (Defense)

Up - PACK PAINT
Left - STAR FOCUS
Down - COACH DEFAULT
Right - PRESSURE SHOOTERS

psusnoop
01-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks Chris for that play breakdown, that helps even though you wouldn't know it from my last game hahaha.

I started a dynasty with Golden State and opened against the Lakers.

I lost 66-38. Believe it or not it was a 2 point game heading into the half but I just broke down late and left them end the game on a 23-3 run :fp:

Smooth I think it was, your right about the free throws. I was able to find the rhythm and went 7-11 from the line.

I was an abysmal 1-14 from behind the arc. I have to quit trying so many threes or start setting them up a little bit better. Which is exactly why I only shot 28% in the game.

Not bad though for my first real game. I'm playing 7 minute quarters with it set on PRO. I will keep posting stats here and let you know my thoughts more as this progresses.

JBHuskers
01-10-2014, 12:56 PM
There is not a button per se for boxing out, but does the right stick towards the defender work? I want think I thought I saw this last night, but couldn't remember, and I was a few beers in.

jaymo76
01-10-2014, 07:16 PM
I am getting killed in man D. My guy seems 2 steps behind the offensive player. The cpu is then money in the paint.

jaymo76
01-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Help!!! How do you stop the cpu from driving in the paint? I just can't stay in front of the cpu player. John Wall just scorched me for 18 points in the paint. What exactly does L1 and L2 do for D? Boxing out seems impossible. Any helpful hints???

cdj
01-10-2014, 09:23 PM
L2 puts you in a defensive stance and allows you to use the right stick to stay in front of your man.

You can use the Strategy tab (Far right in Timeout or L1 + Down then far right during gameplay) to assign a double team to Wall which will help as well.

jaymo76
01-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Possibly the worst I have ever played in any basketball game ever. In the rookie showcase I was ranked 4.0

3/11 fgm/a
1/4 3pm/a
27% fg %
0/10 free throws... :bang:
1 asst
7 points

It didn't matter what I did. I could not hit a free throw if my life depended on it. Still I was selected #22 by Brooklyn.

Rudy
01-11-2014, 04:08 AM
Help!!! How do you stop the cpu from driving in the paint? I just can't stay in front of the cpu player. John Wall just scorched me for 18 points in the paint. What exactly does L1 and L2 do for D? Boxing out seems impossible. Any helpful hints???

I read on OS that one guy said the camera angle actually doesn't show your true defensive positioning. He suggested shading one way or another and it helps crack down on it since you aren't lined up the way you think you are (does that actually make sense?).

SmoothPancakes
01-11-2014, 10:03 AM
I am getting killed in man D. My guy seems 2 steps behind the offensive player. The cpu is then money in the paint.

You and me both brother.

I started up a Rising Star the other night, after I got done with my Play Now game of Milwaukee vs. Denver. I had to go head to head with freaking Trey Burke all damn game in the Rookie Showcase. Talk about getting my ass lit up. Every time he got inside, my player was ALWAYS one or two steps behind, allowing Burke to cut to the basket will absolutely nothing to slow him down and rack up something like 20-25 points.

My grade ended up taking a hit because of it. While I passed a lot and had a bunch of assists, even had some rebounds and a pair of blocks, and actually shot really damn good (I myself ended up with something like 24 points), my grade got dinged all to hell and ended up being something like 5.9 or 6.1 because of freaking indefensible Burke in the damn paint, constantly having all my progress ruined because my match-up scored. I got up to as high as a 7.9 grade at halftime, then between Burke lighting me up, and going stone cold for half of the third quarter, my grade slipped clear down to 4.0. It took everything I had just to get it back up into the 6.0 range.

Stan HAMsen
01-11-2014, 10:22 AM
I like this game. Frustrating though it may be, I think that means that it will be really rewarding long term.

However, the play calling bug is basically a Dynasty killer for me. I lost 3+ quarters Thursday night because of it. I replayed that game to completion last night, but then got hit with the same bug in the next game on the schedule. Losing progress like that is one of my biggest pet peeves in sports games. It is the reason that I quit playing online dynasties on NCAA. And that's NCAA, where the schedule maxes out at 14 games. It would be a real grind for me to complete an 82 game NBA season even if everything ran smoothly.

Honestly, under different circumstances I would probably just cut my losses and go back to the other NBA game on PS4. If this were a rental, I would have already taken it back. I do like this game though, and this situation is unique, so I'm not going to give up on it just yet.

On the positive side, I really like the social interaction elements of this game. I like getting updates about what y'all have been doing. I don't think I have ever had a sports game that did this. One of the things that I really like about Need For Speed is that it is constantly reminding you that your friends play that game, and prompting you to best their scores. Having something like this in Live is a really nice touch. Since I have almost zero interest in the real NBA, I ordinarily wouldn't have any interest in the Live Moments (or whatever it's called, I forget). But seeing y'all put up scores in that mode makes me want to play it. To me, that's when the social interaction is done right.

jaymo76
01-11-2014, 06:24 PM
I really want to like this game and I keep coming back for more. In all honesty this game has the steepest learning curve of any sports game I have ever played. 2k is pretty easy to learn while with Live I am still mashing buttons trying to figure things out.

Please, please, please patch in a practise court!!! The tutorial videos sort of help but I need a skills trainer. I would love to see a player lock added to D. Basically use what NCAA BBall did... help me get back into position when I blow my coverage. There also needs to be a quicker way to access coach features. The L1 and then bumper pad is time consuming during the play. I would love to see a "re-mapping" of controls to make the game easier to play.

jaymo76
01-11-2014, 06:25 PM
I read on OS that one guy said the camera angle actually doesn't show your true defensive positioning. He suggested shading one way or another and it helps crack down on it since you aren't lined up the way you think you are (does that actually make sense?).

I'm trying to get my head around what that means exactly. After the kids go to bed tonight I will play around with the game again.

Stan HAMsen
01-11-2014, 06:56 PM
I don't have many problems staying in front of my man playing as a PG with the Baseline Low cam.

SmoothPancakes
01-11-2014, 07:12 PM
I really want to like this game and I keep coming back for more. In all honesty this game has the steepest learning curve of any sports game I have ever played. 2k is pretty easy to learn while with Live I am still mashing buttons trying to figure things out.

Please, please, please patch in a practise court!!! The tutorial videos sort of help but I need a skills trainer. I would love to see a player lock added to D. Basically use what NCAA BBall did... help me get back into position when I blow my coverage. There also needs to be a quicker way to access coach features. The L1 and then bumper pad is time consuming during the play. I would love to see a "re-mapping" of controls to make the game easier to play.

I agree completely on the practice court. Definitely need someway to work on the controls outside of an actual game. I also agree that this game has the steepest learning curve I have ever played. My first time ever playing NBA 2K, I was able to pick it up, and after at least glancing over the controls and button mapping, I was able to dive right into games and go to town. I'm still trying to learn everything here.

I'm also sort of unhappy them having shooting mapped to the Square (PS)/X (Xbox) button. NBA 2K, as well as all of the NCAA basketball games, if I'm remembering right, had the shooting command mapped to the O (PS)/B (Xbox) button. It just seems so odd and unnatural to have to press X to shoot instead of B like normal.

That said, I actually am liking the game. I honestly can't say that I thought very much of this game when watching JB and others streaming it on Twitch. It just didn't look that impressive and I wasn't sure I'd want to play until at least NBA Live 15, after they've had a full cycle to work on it more and try to make it better, but while it absolutely is rough around the edges, there are some things this game does well and other than the aggravation of alternating hot/cold streaks in my Milwaukee/Denver game, I actually was enjoying myself and had fun. Other than the aggravation of not being able to defend Trey Burke in the Rookie Showcase, I was enjoying myself and having fun.

There are some things that are definitely aggravating with this game, some things that desperately need to be tweaked, cleaned up or completely reworked, but overall, after having some hands on time the other night (and more hands on time the next couple days after I get done with work for the week tonight), I actually think EA has a fairly solid foundation here for their first actual release. If they can fix the issues, clean things up and make some needed additions, NBA Live 15 actually could be a pretty damn solid title and quickly start giving NBA 2K a run for their money.

I OU a Beatn
01-11-2014, 09:20 PM
The free throw shooting is enough to make me want to headbutt something. It should at the very least tell me if I'm shooting too quick or holding it too long. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't give you any feedback whatsoever.

jaymo76
01-11-2014, 11:55 PM
The free throw shooting is enough to make me want to headbutt something. It should at the very least tell me if I'm shooting too quick or holding it too long. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't give you any feedback whatsoever.

+1000

steelerfan
01-12-2014, 02:32 AM
I don't have this game and never will. I just don't like the sport. The last basketball game I ever owned was CH2k8 (the only one in that series that I ever had) and before that it was NBA Live 97 (I think).

All of that said, I've ALWAYS felt that free throw shooting should be completely reliant on ratings. I wouldn't enjoy a game where I couldn't get the mechanic down and therefore couldn't shoot free throws. Conversely, I would hate to shoot 90%, or so, just because I mastered the mechanic. I'd rather have free throws be done for me (based on the player's ability) than have either of those outcomes.

Just my 2¢.

Rudy
01-12-2014, 04:10 AM
All of that said, I've ALWAYS felt that free throw shooting should be completely reliant on ratings. I wouldn't enjoy a game where I couldn't get the mechanic down and therefore couldn't shoot free throws. Conversely, I would hate to shoot 90%, or so, just because I mastered the mechanic. I'd rather have free throws be done for me (based on the player's ability) than have either of those outcomes.

Just my 2¢.

The exact comment is even worse in Madden for kicking FGs. NCAA was lousy this year too. It's almost hard to miss and with their weak sliders you can't fix it. I thought 2K had an option where you could choose real percentage for free throws. Maybe EA should do that in Live and Madden as well (as an option).

steelerfan
01-12-2014, 06:15 AM
The exact comment is even worse in Madden for kicking FGs. NCAA was lousy this year too. It's almost hard to miss and with their weak sliders you can't fix it. I thought 2K had an option where you could choose real percentage for free throws. Maybe EA should do that in Live and Madden as well (as an option).

You're spot on with the NCAA/Madden comments, brother. And, right again, 2k did have that option. It was a fantastic option and made free throws realistic.

Marlowe
01-12-2014, 09:30 AM

I agree. Tried switching between ratings and skill and just ratings but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Still pretty much dependent in when you release the ball which is frustrating.

Stan HAMsen
01-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Speaking of free throws, the contrast between the time it takes for CPU controlled free throws in Live and 2k is comical.

jaymo76
01-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Damn power outage last night. I didn't get to do anything all night. The power is finally back on so hopefully tonight I can play a few games. I wonder though, is being a starter in the player career mode a guarantee? I had a terrible rookie showcase and am ranked 71 ovr yet I am an instant starter for the nets and played 18 of 20 minutes (five min quarters). I don't deserve to be a starter and there are better players on the team who are now on the bench. This mode needs some more of 2k's myplayer logic IMO.

jaymo76
01-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Speaking of free throws, the contrast between the time it takes for CPU controlled free throws in Live and 2k is comical.

Yeah i noticed that as well. Does the cpu even use one second to shoot in Live? It's crazy!

jaymo76
01-12-2014, 11:58 PM
Shooting continues to frustrate me in this game. Versus Portland tonight I shot 31% from the field and 1/4 from the line. I'm not sure if it's timing or my players low ratings but whatever it is I have not improved much. Considering I am playing on rookie it is pretty embarrassing.

Marlowe
01-13-2014, 08:11 AM
Shooting continues to frustrate me in this game. . .I'm not sure if it's timing or my players low ratings but whatever it is I have not improved much. Considering I am playing on rookie it is pretty embarrassing.

You and me both! I have found that I have an easier time driving in for the layup while tapping or pressing the triangle button. Makes it a whole lot easier than just straight up dribbling and going for that jump shot.

Escobar
01-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Is anyone having any problems actually getting the game to install? Once I finally got the game downloaded and started it up, all I have available is the tipoff mode. The bar at the bottom said installing and was only halfway done, but was not moving at all. I played half the tipoff game before I got frustrated with not being able to change any options whatsoever. Everytime I start the game up install progress has increased from the previous time, but does not increase while the game is actually on. Today I started the game and the bar was at the stripes on Kyrie Irving's right shoulder. I left the game on sitting at the main menu for almost an hour, come back and it's in the exact same spot -_-. I close the application then restart it hoping for a progress jump, but nope same spot.

Escobar
01-13-2014, 02:06 PM
From the part I played, Live would really benefit from a playcall menu or at least a notification. So when I call a play or quick play it would notify me that the play was called and the type/name of play. The ball physics also need improvement in regards to reacting off the rim or going into a player's hands. Either the ball does not register being contacted by the player quick enough or the players don't react quick enough. Maybe they can get the guys from FIFA to work on that, because the player reactions and ball physics in FIFA are very accurate/realistic.

JBHuskers
01-13-2014, 04:02 PM
With as difficult as it is to shoot from the outside on anything but Rookie, better shot feedback would be HUGE.

jaymo76
01-13-2014, 04:26 PM
With as difficult as it is to shoot from the outside on anything but Rookie, better shot feedback would be HUGE.

I have no clue if I am shooting the ball correctly. Has there been any indiction from the developers of the possibility of adding a "shooting bar" for all shots?

jaymo76
01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Is anyone having any problems actually getting the game to install? Once I finally got the game downloaded and started it up, all I have available is the tipoff mode. The bar at the bottom said installing and was only halfway done, but was not moving at all. I played half the tipoff game before I got frustrated with not being able to change any options whatsoever. Everytime I start the game up install progress has increased from the previous time, but does not increase while the game is actually on. Today I started the game and the bar was at the stripes on Kyrie Irving's right shoulder. I left the game on sitting at the main menu for almost an hour, come back and it's in the exact same spot -_-. I close the application then restart it hoping for a progress jump, but nope same spot.

My game installed fine BUT it was the slowest install i have had on PS4. I was shocked how long it took to unlock the full game.

JBHuskers
01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
I have no clue if I am shooting the ball correctly. Has there been any indiction from the developers of the possibility of adding a "shooting bar" for all shots?

There is feedback where the disc glows white, and that's supposedly a good shot, but it doesn't always go in; which I think means it's also based on ratings as well.

psusnoop
01-13-2014, 06:06 PM

Completely agree here, I'm trying on PRO but not having much success yet. Maybe I should drop down but I'm not seeing it really helping my out really.

I OU a Beatn
01-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Completely agree here, I'm trying on PRO but not having much success yet. Maybe I should drop down but I'm not seeing it really helping my out really.

Granted this was using all bronze players, but I had a game yesterday where I didn't score until 4 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and ended up going 2/26 for 4 points in the entire first half. :D

jaymo76
01-13-2014, 08:47 PM
I was looking at my player ratings. No wonder I suck. My free throw ovr is only 50.

Stan HAMsen
01-13-2014, 10:22 PM
Here are some things that I am seeing too much of:

CPU dribbling as the shot clock expires
CPU shots going off the side of the backboard
CPU blocks
Animations that result in out of bounds

I'm playing Rising Star as a PG for Utah on Pro with 5min qtrs. Here are some numbers from my last game, a 36-32 win at New Orleans.

75 shots combined, 11 blocks. My team had most of those, but a block for every 7 attempts sounds high.
My player was 4-5, but I just drive for a layup or I don't shoot. After being 2-2 at the line in the previous game, I was 0-2 in this one. I had 8 points, 6 assists, 2 rebounds and 4 turnovers in 18 minutes (of 20).

On the season Utah is 5-8. As a team, we are shooting .475 FG%, .304 3P%, & .573 FT%. My player is shooting .563. FG% and .613 FT%. I have not taken a 3. In spite of my layup only philosophy, I had a game where I was, like, 1-13 or something. :fp:

I'm averaging 12.5 PPG and 3.8 APG.

jaymo76
01-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Stan your comments pretty much verify that there is no rhyme or reason to shooting. Everyone seems to have dismal shooting %. Do we all not know how to shoot or is the system flawed/broken?

jaymo76
01-13-2014, 11:24 PM
This is a real pet peeve in rising star. I am only missing 1 minute or so per game and am an instant starter on the Nets, regardless of my low ratings. I get subbed once per game while Johnson, Garnett, Lopez, are subbed multiple times throughout the game.

A few other concerns with regards to rising star:

1. Does your team ever call a timeout???
2. Does your team ever switch defenses???
3. Do coaches use any strategy/switch up strategy?
4. Do manual user called double teams actually occur??? It seems like when I call them they don't???
5. Outside of scoring in the paint, does the cpu take any medium range shots???
6. Why does the cpu drive for two when they are down by three with less than 5 seconds left???
*** questionable AI at times for sure...
7. Why do cpu players miss so many easy baskets (both hum team and cpu team)

Stan HAMsen
01-14-2014, 10:13 AM
6. Why does the cpu drive for two when they are down by three with less than 5 seconds left???

At the end of that game at NO last night, they in bounded the ball with ~:20 left down by four. They passed it around and passed it around, finally worked down to the low block where the PF dribbled for 4 or 5 seconds until time expired. :fp:

Also, I should have added 3 in the Key to my list of things I'm seeing too often.

JBHuskers
01-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Yeah that happens a LOT at the end of the game.

jaymo76
01-14-2014, 11:18 PM
What is the deal with the lag time this week? it seems to take a good minute to load the updated rosters. my connection s fine. Anyone else seeing this issue?

jaymo76
01-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Not a lot of people play this game so i just checked and for TODAY's scores I am currently #1 in live moments with 22,120 points. For the week i am in 25th (CDJ is 12th) and for the month I am in 21st with 123,160 points. i have no overall rank but CDJ is killing it as he currently is in 11th place. Nice job!

I just hit level 29 and have earned 138,586 xp points. The big/live moments are a lot of fun. I would actually have to say they are the best thing about Live 14 IMO. I love the variety of playing as all the different teams and a number of the challenges are very quick but very rewarding when you win.

JBHuskers
01-15-2014, 03:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DkKQq507xo

Stan HAMsen
01-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Ok, great.

Now I know how to miss a variety of shots.

JBHuskers
01-15-2014, 05:38 PM
:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

cdj
01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
I played a LUT game earlier tonight (second of college series, PRO difficulty) and shot 50% from the outside, but did not notice what my overall was though I am assuming 55-60%. Overall, I'm guessing my 3P% is 30-35% and overall 50+%, but most of those are inside the paint.

I don't have any secret for the success (my LUT team doesn't have that great of outside shooters), but one tip is that players need to be open. Even if wide open, I let them hold the ball for a split second before shooting - basically pretending they are setting their feet or something. If I try to shoot the ball as soon (or before) it is fully in their hands, it's almost always a miss.

Also, this may be a placebo but it feels like shooting the ball coming off of a play or move (spin move or screen, for example) boosts your odds. I feel like I make more shots this way.

I haven't played any randoms online, but I have heard some people say that post-patch with shot improvements it has turned into a three-point-fest, similar to how Live 10 was.

Stan HAMsen
01-15-2014, 08:07 PM
I definitely agree about plays seeming to increase success. When I was playing Dynasty, I gave up on 3 point shooting unless I got a good look off of a play. In Rising Star, I don't think my teammates take 3s unless off a set play.

jaymo76
01-16-2014, 11:13 PM
Really getting frustrated with the slow roster load times. It took three minutes tonight to load the rosters and get into live moments...

cdj
01-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Post Play Tutorial Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iNd2ZhdtmKY

cdj
01-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Really getting frustrated with the slow roster load times. It took three minutes tonight to load the rosters and get into live moments...

Where did you experience the slowdown? On the initial roster check? When going into Live Moments? Both? Other modes?

I thought they had the issue fixed, but on Wednesday (maybe it was Tuesday), I thought it was starting to get slow again.

bdoughty
01-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Well I am going to give this game a shot. From reading here and over at OS the dev team seems to actually give a crap about their game and is still working to improve it. I have $30 trade in with COD, so it cuts the price in half.

jaymo76
01-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Where did you experience the slowdown? On the initial roster check? When going into Live Moments? Both? Other modes?

I thought they had the issue fixed, but on Wednesday (maybe it was Tuesday), I thought it was starting to get slow again.

I went into live moments and the roster loaded but it sat at 100% for three minutes before finally disappearing. It seems like as the week went on it was getting longer and longer to get into games.

cdj
01-17-2014, 07:54 PM
I went into live moments and the roster loaded but it sat at 100% for three minutes before finally disappearing. It seems like as the week went on it was getting longer and longer to get into games.

I had it stall on the initial roster check for 5-7+ minutes tonight.

Also, on PS4 there is a new in-game update. For me (and I am seeing for others), it will crash the PS4 after install but restart the game and it will work just fine. There is no word from EA on what the updare does. :dunno:

bdoughty
01-18-2014, 03:35 AM
Honestly not as bad as I was expecting. It is quirky in far too many areas but it has a foundation to work on. Graphically I thought everything looked fine outside of some of the players faces. The controls are a bit sluggish at times. You know, "Just a second guy on the sofa hitting the sprint trigger, be with you in a second or two." Only played a couple games on Pro and with San Antonio that Shooting setup using Real FG%/Skill is quite a treat. Much less of a treat when controlling Charlotte. Will probably end up running with the Spurs and trying it with skill only for both FT/FG. I did notice refs were letting me steal the ball at will and only got called for reaching in after about 5 or so failed attempts in a row. Even pushed a guy backwards a good two feet trying a steal and the ball fell right to me and I slammed it home. Ref did not seem to mind. No blood no foul, I guess?

Both of the guys at Gamestop, who I know and neither plays sports games, told me to get 2K14. I grinned and said no thanks. Picked up a used copy because none of the basketball developers (EA or 2K) deserved my money this year. After store credit it was $5, quite the steal.

cdj
01-18-2014, 08:50 AM
The NBA Live twitter account says that the new in-game update features "numerous gameplay improvements."

Stan HAMsen
01-18-2014, 10:31 AM
The NBA Live twitter account says that the new in-game update features "numerous gameplay improvements."

The one that allegedly has to crash your system before it works?

cdj
01-18-2014, 10:56 AM
The one that allegedly has to crash your system before it works?

Yes. :)

jaymo76
01-18-2014, 11:56 AM
I tried to play last night but I could not get into the game. My screen stayed on the load screen with the circle spinning away. After five minutes I shut it off and played some pinball arcade. I wonder if that was a result of the update???

jaymo76
01-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Honestly not as bad as I was expecting. It is quirky in far too many areas but it has a foundation to work on. Graphically I thought everything looked fine outside of some of the players faces. The controls are a bit sluggish at times. You know, "Just a second guy on the sofa hitting the sprint trigger, be with you in a second or two." Only played a couple games on Pro and with San Antonio that Shooting setup using Real FG%/Skill is quite a treat. Much less of a treat when controlling Charlotte. Will probably end up running with the Spurs and trying it with skill only for both FT/FG. I did notice refs were letting me steal the ball at will and only got called for reaching in after about 5 or so failed attempts in a row. Even pushed a guy backwards a good two feet trying a steal and the ball fell right to me and I slammed it home. Ref did not seem to mind. No blood no foul, I guess?

Both of the guys at Gamestop, who I know and neither plays sports games, told me to get 2K14. I grinned and said no thanks. Picked up a used copy because none of the basketball developers (EA or 2K) deserved my money this year. After store credit it was $5, quite the steal.

No, in all honesty the game has improved a lot since release and is in the process of becoming a solid title. Assuming of course that EA isn't one and done??? I heard that this game has only sold 48,000 copies thus far. If they can get quicker responses times, add a practise mode, fix end of game cpu logic and clear up how exactly shooting works, I will be satisfied. The learning curve in this game is massive. I am finally getting down free throw shooting after a couple weeks of games.

bdoughty
01-18-2014, 07:00 PM
No, in all honesty the game has improved a lot since release and is in the process of becoming a solid title. Assuming of course that EA isn't one and done??? I heard that this game has only sold 48,000 copies thus far. If they can get quicker responses times, add a practise mode, fix end of game cpu logic and clear up how exactly shooting works, I will be satisfied. The learning curve in this game is massive. I am finally getting down free throw shooting after a couple weeks of games.

Hard to know the exact figures. Based on Vgchartz, which you have to take with a large grain of salt, currently shows to have sold 140,000 worldwide. NBA Live 10 sold 1,180,00 world wide but that was on systems with a much larger userbase.

I just can't see EA putting in all this extra work on the game to not be working on NBA Live 15, that is just not how EA works. They do not throw a bunch of time and effort into products that are retiring.

cdj
01-18-2014, 07:38 PM
EA has been doing headscans of visiting teams/players as they come into Orlando to face the Magic (tonight is the Celtics turn) and they have said (this morning) there are more game updates to come for Live 14. I'm pretty confident there will be a Live 15. The bigger question is if Live 15 is panned and/or doesn't sell well, how committed they are.

jaymo - This slow roster update thing is bad. Anyone else running into it? JB says he has never had it happen.

jaymo76
01-18-2014, 08:17 PM
EA has been doing headscans of visiting teams/players as they come into Orlando to face the Magic (tonight is the Celtics turn) and they have said (this morning) there are more game updates to come for Live 14. I'm pretty confident there will be a Live 15. The bigger question is if Live 15 is panned and/or doesn't sell well, how committed they are.

jaymo - This slow roster update thing is bad. Anyone else running into it? JB says he has never had it happen.

Yeah this whole week has just been awful. I didn't have any problems previous. The weird thing is that the roster load to 100% within a few seconds but for whatever reason it doesn't complete the process. I didn't see anyone bring it up on the Live forums and no mention of it over at OS. I wonder how many people have seen this issue?

cdj
01-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Yeah this whole week has just been awful. I didn't have any problems previous. The weird thing is that the roster load to 100% within a few seconds but for whatever reason it doesn't complete the process. I didn't see anyone bring it up on the Live forums and no mention of it over at OS. I wonder how many people have seen this issue?

Usually after 7-10 minutes it kicks through, but tonight I have waited 20 minutes twice tonight with no luck.

From the handful of people where I did see it mentioned before (around Xmas/NY), we were all PS4 disc users but it seemed only a small % of people are seeing it. I looked at OS & the EA Forums and no one is mentioning it, so I don't see how an issue like this (everyone has to download rosters) only hits a handful of people.

cdj
01-20-2014, 08:34 AM
A few other concerns with regards to rising star:

1. Does your team ever call a timeout???
2. Does your team ever switch defenses???
3. Do coaches use any strategy/switch up strategy?
4. Do manual user called double teams actually occur??? It seems like when I call them they don't???
5. Outside of scoring in the paint, does the cpu take any medium range shots???
*** questionable AI at times for sure...
7. Why do cpu players miss so many easy baskets (both hum team and cpu team)

Played the Challenge and first game of season last night. Here is what I figured out for a few of your questions:

2. It looks like you can Quick Call different defenses, but coach will not.
1. I didn't try, but I assume user can call a timeout? Is that wrong?
4. On the first play of the game, I called for a double team and it worked. After that, it was very hit and miss. I need to look more and try to figure out the logic.
5. Post-update, the CPU (namely the player I was covering) took a good number of jumpers/outside shots. As a team, I don't think they took many jumpers though.
7. I didn't look at the Shot Chart, but I thought the close misses seemed reasonable. I assume my misses were due to poor ratings.

Sometimes calling the CUT play seemed to call ISO and vice versa. However, there were also times it worked correctly. The mode has potential, but there are a lot of issues that need ironed out (or expanded upon).

cdj
01-21-2014, 11:33 AM

This morning it hung up on the initial roster check/download. I let it sit there for 30 minutes and it finally went through.

Stan HAMsen
01-21-2014, 11:48 AM
How does the game play after the update?

I'm about halfway through a dynasty season on NCAA. Next up is some kind of season on one of these next gen NBA games, most likely Rising Star or MyCareer.

So far, I'd say my overall experience with the NBA games is a wash. Live is/was pretty rough around the edges, but 2k had that weekend when the servers were down (at a time when I was really digging their game) and, of course the VC issues. The VC stuff scares me away from attempting MyGM, but the play call bug in Live's Dynasty kills that mode for me too.

JBHuskers
01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Why does the VC stuff scare you?

Stan HAMsen
01-21-2014, 12:02 PM
I should admit upfront that I didn't read those articles about it, but I saw a screen shot that showed that it cost VC to make some kind of roster adjustment.

Stan HAMsen
01-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Also, I have only played MyCareer on 2k's game and I haven't had any issues with the VC in that mode.

JBHuskers
01-21-2014, 12:31 PM
You can get VC coins free every day through the Android/iPhone app. There are also codes for free VC coins all the time.

psusnoop
01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Well just played game 2 of my be a GM mode and I won 61-60 over the Lakers.

I'm struggling with the play calls and often don't run anything at all just pass around to find the open looks. The results are mixed to say the least.

I did however get a lot better at squaring up and not allowing so many drives in the pain for easy points which was a blessing for sure.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/ehunuhav.jpg

Stan HAMsen
01-21-2014, 02:00 PM
You can get VC coins free every day through the Android/iPhone app. There are also codes for free VC coins all the time.

You're not doing a very good job being the CLW of EA games. :D

I just went and read the Pasta Parade article about the VC. I should probably play MyGM before making my mind up but, on paper, I don't like the way they implemented VC into the mode.

JBHuskers
01-21-2014, 02:31 PM
You're not doing a very good job being the CLW of EA games. :D

I just went and read the Pasta Parade article about the VC. I should probably play MyGM before making my mind up but, on paper, I don't like the way they implemented VC into the mode.

Yeah that's just someone's shortsighted opinion :D

bdoughty
01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Yeah that's just someone's shortsighted opinion :D

Someone is overcompensating after my little remark. JB welcomes the 2K VC overlords. :P

jaymo76
01-21-2014, 07:22 PM
This morning it hung up on the initial roster check/download. I let it sit there for 30 minutes and it finally went through.

Yikes! I was hoping to play a game tonight. Hopefully this won't be an issue.

psusnoop
01-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Well I just played another game and I'm still struggling with the plays. I gotta a lot of work to do on that end.

I'm playing 7 minute quarters on PRO and I'm 2-0. I won 67-64 over the clippers as golden state.

At the end of the game they didn't get a shot off with 5.2 left which I thought was crazy and shouldn't really happen.

I also have noticed that the CPU is getting hit with the 3 second violation a couple of times a game. Not sure why they aren't taking he shot or bouncing it back outside.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/a6a8ymet.jpg

steelerfan
01-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Nice porpoise, snoop!

Your coloring has come a long way in the few years that I've known you. :up:

jaymo76
01-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Well I just played another game and I'm still struggling with the plays. I gotta a lot of work to do on that end.

I'm playing 7 minute quarters on PRO and I'm 2-0. I won 67-64 over the clippers as golden state.

At the end of the game they didn't get a shot off with 5.2 left which I thought was crazy and shouldn't really happen.

I also have noticed that the CPU is getting hit with the 3 second violation a couple of times a game. Not sure why they aren't taking he shot or bouncing it back outside.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/a6a8ymet.jpg

Sadly this glitch is very common. Usually around the 5-10 second mark and most often after a cpu timeout, the PG sits there and dribbles until time expires. It's really frustrating. Hopefully t can be addressed in a future patch???

psusnoop
01-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Nice porpoise, snoop!

Thanks!! :D

psusnoop
01-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Sadly this glitch is very common. Usually around the 5-10 second mark and most often after a cpu timeout, the PG sits there and dribbles until time expires. It's really frustrating. Hopefully t can be addressed in a future patch???

I really hope so because it is such a huge part of basketball games and that just shouldn't happen.

cdj
01-23-2014, 10:00 PM
How does the game play after the update?

It's taking me 30 minutes to get through the initial roster check, so I haven't played much Live in the last week. In what I have played (mainly Rising Star), I haven't noticed anything jumping off the page and it doesn't look like EA is going to share any details of what was addressed. I've seen in full, standard games that the CPU is better shooting the ball.

Rising Star is fun, but also so frustrating. The CPU is of no help and misses so many easy shots (playing on Pro). I'm winless, with all but one coming by four or less. Drafted by Dallas, I thought Dirk would help carry the load offensively - wrong. He can't hit the broad side of a barn and once missed an alley-oop when he came down a foot wide of the rim. :fp: I don't know if the neutered CPU teammate shooting (especially close) is something by design in the mode, result of the patch, or what.

It seems like the mode is a grind to level up your player until you can get to a point where you can dominate since the CPU is relatively useless.

jaymo76
01-23-2014, 11:39 PM
CDJ, I concur about the cpu players missing easy shots, especially at the free throw line. I was drafted by the nets so the team is pretty strong and we are doing well but it's the little things about the mode that are frustrating. Overall the mode has been a fun experience but it has a long way to go depth-wise.

As for load times, when I played on Wednesday I could not even get the roster to load so I could only play Rising Star.

jaymo76
01-26-2014, 04:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4UwzGLQBrA&feature=youtu.be

Videos help but a skills trainer would help more...

JBHuskers
01-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Nice porpoise, snoop!

:D :D

jaymo76
02-01-2014, 02:28 PM
I've been meaning to play this all week but I have been so darn busy at work. I may try to get in a game tonight.

gschwendt
02-06-2014, 08:08 PM

jaymo76
02-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Finally a practise mode!!! Yes!

Stan HAMsen
02-07-2014, 09:04 AM
That's good news. Anybody have ideas about how soon is 'very soon'?

cdj
02-07-2014, 09:24 AM
"As soon as Monday." Stover tweeted that in response to someone else who asked on Twitter.

JBHuskers
02-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Looking forward to it.

JBHuskers
02-10-2014, 09:51 AM
According to some RT's on Twitter, it sounds like the update is live now.

JBHuskers
02-10-2014, 09:58 AM

JBHuskers
02-10-2014, 11:20 AM

JBHuskers
02-10-2014, 11:31 AM
LeBron's face looks a MILLION times better than before.

jaymo76
02-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Just played the practise mode. Honestly this game is 50% better right off the bat. I really like practising the dribble moves. Stringing moves together is pretty easy once you see what you're doing. The controls also feel more responsive. Good work EA. I will try to get a game in tonight and see how dynasty plays post patch.

JBHuskers
02-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Streaming post-patch after it updates: www.twitch.tv/JBHuskers

JBHuskers
03-08-2014, 07:24 PM

cdj
05-06-2014, 08:33 PM
EA is holding an "NBA Live 14 Gamer of the Year" contest beginning next week.

From what I can tell, eight of the most active community members have been chosen from the community and the winner (person with most social media mentions) will receive a trip to one 2014 NBA Finals game.

One of the eight competitors - video creator Ticois Tocory - was the first to make this promotion known:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DonZgA4rhik&feature=youtu.be&a