PDA

View Full Version : A Question for All the Real Life Football Coaches Out There

morsdraconis
08-09-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm considering very strongly going back to school and trying to get a foot in the door as a coach for football.

My question is, coming from a knowledge of the game that I would say borders on intermediate (don't know the nitty gritty stuff but philosophies are definitely there), what direction would be the best to go to have a chance at getting a job in the field without any actually football experience (never was much interested in playing sports in school)?

Would going back to college and getting a teaching degree be a way to go? Try to get on any way possible at a local public school?

Any advice at all would be GREATLY appreciated.

JeffHCross
08-11-2010, 10:13 PM
There are some schools that offer degrees in coaching, actually. That would be much more helpful than a teaching degree, at the least.

I would think, first and foremost, getting experience would be beneficial. Being an assistant with a local school or coaching youth league is probably the best way to start. That's generally what I've thought would be best when I've considered this same idea.

morsdraconis
08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestion man. I'll definitely check into that. Trying to decide what I want to do with my life in the long run and I think coaching would be something that I could really get into and love once I really sunk my teeth into the real life works of it (and not so much the video game works of it).

HuskerBlitz
08-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Avoid teaching if coaching is what you are really seeking, unless you are looking a very large schools. Other than that, you are going to have to get any kind of experience you can and make connections with current coaches.

ebin
08-12-2010, 02:05 AM
Echoing what the other guys have said, hands on experience is definitely the single most important thing you can do. Since you've never played and don't have an in at the high school level, volunteering to help with a youth team is probably the easiest way to get started. It won't get you paid, but if you can catch on with a 7th or 8th grade team, a lot of times the area high school coaches are keeping tabs on those kids, so it could help you start making connections with current coaches.

Also, a lot of colleges put on coaching clinics for high school, and sometimes even youth coaches. Obviously lots of good information, and potential connections there. It is definitely worth asking around to see what's out there.

Good luck, man.

morsdraconis
08-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Guys, all of this information is REALLY REALLY GREAT. I really appreciate all the information and I'm definitely going to look into getting my foot in the door anyway that I can.