PDA

View Full Version : Fumbles

AustinWolv
08-09-2010, 02:32 PM
All I know is that Russ or somebody made a comment on how fumbles are on par with real numbers and that wasn't going to be adjusted in the tuner set.......there really aren't 1.5-2 lost fumbles every game on the real field, are there? Seriously, my team averages likely 1.5 fumbles per game and they aren't young. The opposition averages about the same as I recall it. I don't put 'big run' gameplanning on aggressive.

The stats on my OD through the web interface show an average of 1.46 fumbles lost per game by my team.

That 1.5 fumbles lost per game is about double of real stats for 2009:
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/trend/FBS_trend_conf_2.pdf

I looked at the B10 teams in my OD:
Illinois averaged .41 lost per game.
Indiana was .83 lost per game.
Iowa was .76 lost per game.
MSU was 1.16 lost per game.
MINN was 1 lost per game.
NW was 1.58 lost per game. (some WR had 9!!!!)
OSU was 1.3 lost per game.
PSU was .76 lost per game.
Purdue was .5 lost per game.
Wisconsin was .62 lost per game.

Thus, the CPU fumble lost rate isn't too far off from the 2009 season numbers, seeing that the CPU-controlled teams average .89 fumbles lost per game while the real NCAA stats show B10 teams losing .79 fumbles per game. The only CPU team with worst rate is NW, and they sucked in the game, so..... ;)

It seems that the human fumble lost rate is ~2X what it should be and this has been the case over a couple OD seasons now with one team in this thread's example.

Anyone seeing similar?

Rudy
08-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Don't forget that those real numbers are also based off a larger number of possessions in a real game. For those of us playing under 8 minute quarters our fumble numbers should be less.

I'd have to say that I don't think there is a real problem at the moment. I thought there were WAY too many in the demo but so far the retail has been pretty good although I cover up all the time. I wouldn't mind it toned down a touch though. If anything you should err on the side of less fumbles as fumbles drive people nuts.

steelerfan
08-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Just checked and I've lost 8 fumbles in 7 games in year 3 of my Dynasty with ND. One of those was on a punt return I should have fair caught and a few of those are with my QB (Crist). I don't have/see a fumbling problem this year and I've never had one in past years. I cover any time contact is imminent though.

Rudy
08-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Of course this thread cursed my game. First half against Notre Dame - 3 fumbles and all returned for TDs (two for me, one for them). I then got a pick 6 in the 3rd quarter. I won 27-24 in OT and never scored an offensive TD. I was horrible on offense with less than 100 passing yards and I punted 8 times with 7 minute quarters. ND punted seven times too. Not a pretty win but I'll take it.

steelerfan
08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Forgot to mention I use 9 minute quarters, fwiw.

Rudy
08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
One thing they do have to fix is how quick a fumble is recovered. The ball is barely out and someone not only recovers it but is running full speed with the ball. They need to slow it down to prevent so many defensive TDs.

jaymo76
08-09-2010, 10:36 PM
One thing they do have to fix is how quick a fumble is recovered. The ball is barely out and someone not only recovers it but is running full speed with the ball. They need to slow it down to prevent so many defensive TDs.

And add to this how many of those fumble recovery's by the lead result in a quick six. Apparently speed threshold doesn't apply to cpu linemen???

AustinWolv
08-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Just checked and I've lost 8 fumbles in 7 games in year 3 of my Dynasty with ND. One of those was on a punt return I should have fair caught and a few of those are with my QB (Crist). I don't have/see a fumbling problem this year and I've never had one in past years. I cover any time contact is imminent though.
Doesn't matter if you cover up or not. I use that button all the time plus use the truck stick as well.

cdj
08-10-2010, 09:32 AM
At the Community Event and late April, fumbles were more prevalent and feedback was towards toning it down.

I'm in the camp where I don't see or have many of them, but it seems like people either have very few or a lot - tough to find a common middle ground. That's also a good point on defenders able to pick them up and go. IRL, I feel like most times there ends up being a dogpile or the player just falls on it. (A similar argument could also apply to interceptions historically in the franchise. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's no animations where defenders fall down as they catch the ball or shortly there afterwards. While there is usually an offensive player right there for a tackle, there is the potential for some sort of a return almost every INT.)

steelerfan
08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Doesn't matter if you cover up or not. I use that button all the time plus use the truck stick as well.

Well, "doesn't matter" is not true, but if you're covering up I'm not sure why you're having a problem unless it's an anomaly. Like I said, I've yet to have problems. It does seem as though the CPU recovers a lot more than I do regardless of who drops it though that is likely circumstantial. I wonder if Heisman has anything to do with it (I play on AA). I doubt it as you are seeing a lot with the CPU too. Also, could it somehow have a connection to a slider (like Run D)? Just wondering out loud.

morsdraconis
08-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, "doesn't matter" is not true, but if you're covering up I'm not sure why you're having a problem unless it's an anomaly. Like I said, I've yet to have problems. It does seem as though the CPU recovers a lot more than I do regardless of who drops it though that is likely circumstantial. I wonder if Heisman has anything to do with it (I play on AA). I doubt it as you are seeing a lot with the CPU too. Also, could it somehow have a connection to a slider (like Run D)? Just wondering out loud.

If any connection to a slider, it would probably be the RB ability slider.

AustinWolv
08-10-2010, 10:58 AM
It very well could be tied to Heisman level and the RBA slider.

Well, "doesn't matter" is not true
Well, until empirical evidence is available, I think my statement stands. By using it and not seeing it help, I think 'doesn't matter' applies.

It does seem as though the CPU recovers a lot more than I do
This I agree with.

Air Force lost 5 fumbles against me last night. Granted, they are a D team. I lost two fumbles against them. However, in the next game against a B-rated ND, no fumbles lost for either team. In the rain, no less, and I had purposely turned on the 'strip' gameplanning to try to force fumbles in the poor weather. Same with turning 'big run' to conservative so my guys wouldn't fumble.

steelerfan
08-10-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't use Gameplannig much, if ever. Chew Clock is virtually all I do. I understand where you're coming from with covering the ball, but I'd venture to say your results would be worse if you didn't cover the ball. While it's tough to prove, EA says it helps so I'll defer to them on that.

And mors, you're probably right about RBA.

My sliders look like this (anything that affrects the run game):

Skill AA
9 minutes
Slow Speed

RBA 50/55 (HUM/CPU)
R Blk 40/75
R Def 30/65
Tack 50/55

Maybe you guys could post your settings and we can see if anything seems to add up.

AustinWolv
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Heisman, 8mins
Default speed

Human:
wr catch 55
rba 55
run block 60
pass cover 60
pass rush 60
fgp 45
fga 45

cpu
qba 30
pass block 40
wr catch 35
rba 45
pass cover 30
pass rush 30
rush d 35
tackle 40
fgp 30

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?512-Community-Sliders-Balanced-(Heisman)&p=13423&viewfull=1#post13423

I believe I haven't changed what I'm using since those.

Rudy
08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Well I can only comment from experience on AA that fumbles may only be slightly overdone. But we aren't comparing apples to apples here when debating with Austinwolv as he plays on Heisman. Heisman sometimes has very different things going on.

JeffHCross
08-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Austin, are you looking at fumbles lost, or just fumbles? Most real life statistics only track fumbles lost, not balls put on the turf.

AustinWolv
08-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Fumbles lost

steelerfan
08-12-2010, 05:59 PM
I have a question, Austin.

I assume you're talking sbout Dynasty Mode with relation to all the fumbles you're seeing (based on the fact you have stats). How far into it are you? I'm starting year 4 and now I'm seeing a lot too. I think it's related to recruiting and progression (which I'm still skeptical have fixed). Thoughts?

Are you purely speaking about your OD? How far along is it?

UGA14
08-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I used the truck stick a lot too, when I stopped using it, my team hardly ever fumbles these days.

AustinWolv
08-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I have a question, Austin.

I assume you're talking sbout Dynasty Mode with relation to all the fumbles you're seeing (based on the fact you have stats). How far into it are you? I'm starting year 4 and now I'm seeing a lot too. I think it's related to recruiting and progression (which I'm still skeptical have fixed). Thoughts?

Are you purely speaking about your OD? How far along is it?

5 games into Year3.

Now for the TGT 360 community OD, the dynasty web site shows 15 fumbles in 6 games, and it is in Year1.

steelerfan
08-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Maybe it's the Truck Stick then?

AustinWolv
08-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Eh, maybe I'll try not using it. Seems stupid if that was it since the RB is covering up and using the lean away move.......