PDA

View Full Version : "irishfbfan1's "bama 1 back attack and scheme"

irishfbfan1
08-05-2010, 10:50 PM
"IRISHFBFAN1'S "BAMA 1 BACK ATTACK AND SCHEME"

As I was driving to a small University to do a Helmet fitting for a school I got to thinking about planning out a ONEBACK attack that when schemed using multiple formations would give me basically a complete offense at my fingertips that would include balance with both the pass and run as well as utilize the very best concepts that I could quickly get to before every snap.

Then, the BAMA book came to mind. I like to carry around the formation audibles of playbooks with me on my job as I travel from school to school.
Today was a long trip and luckily I had the BAMA breakdown with me. What you are about to read is the way I would scheme this book. I will give you not only the formation audibles with each set, but I will also tell you the plays I would put in my regular audibles as well. You will see by coming out in specific plays that you can hop from one formation to another utilizing very nice pass concepts and also have the ability to attack the defense with a multitude of runs.

I will not be discussing the SHOTGUN at all so if you are not an under-center type player you might not get the most out of this scheme. I feel this scheme is very powerful, very realistic in approach, and very useful for both the beginner as well as the well seasoned veteran. Feel free to make any changes to fit your style, but please before you do understand the thinking behind the scheme that I have devised. I will start out for explanation purposes coming out from one formation and play, this does not mean you cannot use other plays or other formations and then hop from one formation to another. I want you guys to grasp the basic approach and then run it if you wish however you want, and that includes some or all of the formations I will be using. I will not breakdown the setups for each play, that is something we can talk about in this thread.

***IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU KNOW YOUR FORMATION AUDIBLES LIKE THE BACK OF YOUR HAND FOR THIS IS THE BASIS OF EFFECTIVE SCHEMING***

So, lets begin our journey with the ALABAMA ONEBACK ATTACK, I hope you like.

PLAYBOOK--ALABAMA

***THINK OF THIS SCHEME AS A PUZZLE AS WE LINK FORMATIONS TOGETHER,THINK OF SB BIG AS OUR TREE AND THE FORMATIONS AND PLAYS WE WILL BE JUMPING TO AS THE TREE'S BRANCHES, AND KEEP A CLOSE LOOK AT THE TALLY OF PLAYS THAT ACCUMULATE WHILE WE ENTER THE TREE'S BRANCHES***

1. SINGLEBACK BIG

OK we are going to start here with this formation. Watch how the formations I use that follow all branch out from this set. Think of this formation as your tree and the formations and plays that we will introduce as its branches.

We are going to come out in STRETCH, we have the following in our formation audible for this set.

UP-SLANTS
RT-TE CROSS
DN-HB DIVE
LT-PA TE POST

We can run within this formation or if we don't like what we see we are going to move to that first branch and its a good one, SB ACE BIG TWINS.
To get there we are going to put HB POWER in our regular audibles, what a hell of a play. Now, and remember this throughout this scheme, VERY IMPORTANT, I like to manually motion my player into the position he will be in if I were to audible to one of my plays. The reason is I don't want to lose the play I came out in, it might be just as effective with the motion. For example, we came out in SB BIG STRETCH, we will motion the right WR to the left which basically gives us a homemade SB ACE TWINS which is in our audibles with HB POWER, by doing this I still have the option of running STRETCH and if I want I can flip the play. If I don't like what I see I can select HB POWER and the defense has no clue what I have just done. Formation Audibles include with SB ACE TWINS

2. SB ACE TWINS

UP-SLANTS
RT-SMASH
DN-HB DIVE
PA DAGGER.

As you can see by placing HB POWER in our regular audibles we now have gained not only another great run play at our fingertips, but one hell of a pass play SMASH located in the formation audible right.

The Tally is beginning to build for our play selections, lets take a look with these 2 formations fused together as it stands now without moving on.

RUN PLAYS

STRETCH
HB POWER
HB DIVE

INTERMEDIATE PASSES

TE CROSS
SMASH

not a bad start, remember our tree and its branches, all we did is just motioned one guy to get into the next set. Now, lets just step one of the Tight Ends off the LOS, HENCE---SB ACE BIG WING, and we will get there via putting POWER O in our regular audibles. For this branch we get the following
formation audibles.

3.SB ACE BIG WING

UP-SLANTS
RT-CORNERSTRIKE
DN-HB DIVE
LT-PA FL CLOWN

Now lets check our Tally of plays, see how the puzzle begins to form into a picture. There are NO overlapping of plays just sound concepts for both run and pass and we are beginning to know where to find what we need.

RUN TALLY

STRETCH
HB POWER
HB DIVE
POWER O

INTERMEDIATE PASSES

TE CROSS
SMASH
CORNERSTRIKE

QUICK GAME

SLANTS (DAMN I WISH I HAD STICK, BUT WAIT... THE SCHEME IS NOT COMPLETE YET!)

PLAY ACTION

PA TE POST
PA DAGGER
PA FL CLOWN

Not bad at all, lets enter another branch off of SB BIG WING, we need to find some missing pieces to our puzzle and scheme. Note, now out of SB BIG we have motioned a WR over to form SB ACE TWINS, we have stepped one of our HE'S back to form SB ACE BIG WING, lets now enter our new branch by stepping back one of our TE'S and motioning him to form and enter our new branch SB TWIN TE. What a damn good formation! We are going to enter this formation by placing one of the best stock passes in our regular audibles and that pay is Z SPOT! Look at these formation audibles by checking to this one play, notice my favorite run play in all of football in the formation audible down! AWESOME!

4.SB TWIN TE

UP- SLANTS (WHERE IS STICK LOL, HANG IN THERE, WE ARE NOT FINISHED)
RT-FLK DIG
DN--INSIDE ZONE***
LT--PA TE FLOOD

The Tally of plays at our fingertips is growing and these are not just plays, these are damn good concepts both for run and pass! Lets take a look at our Tally now, remember 2 things, one, you can use the manual motion with all of this to keep the specific play you came out in. That motion might be just what the doctor ordered. Or you can simply select the play from your regular audibles and he will motion or shift and the defense is not any wiser! Secondly, you could use any play to come out in or any formation but please once again try to follow here to get the concept down.

RUN TALLY

STRETCH
HB POWER
HB DIVE
POWER O
INSIDE ZONE

INTERMEDIATE PASS

TE CROSS
SMASH
CORNERSTRIKE
FLANKER DIG

PLAY ACTIONS

PA TE POST
PA DAGGER
PA FL CLOWN
PA TE FLOOD

QUICK PASS

SLANTS--STICK IS COMING !

If you don't think this is powerful go back over the run tally as we speak now! Moving on to our final branch. We are missing some things to complete our scheme, but not to worry because with the SB TWIN TE FLEX we are going to find all the missing pieces to our BAMA ONEBACK MINI SCHEME.
We are going to get to SB TWIN TE FLEX by placing the HB SCREEN in our regular audibles. Now we have a basic screen pass for our scheme. Why not select another play you ask? Because most of the concepts we already have with our previous formations, we don't want duplicate plays or overlaps, we want to gain the most from this scheme squeezing every ounce of every formation to complete it. Here are the formation audibles for this set.

5. SB ACE TWIN TE FLEX

UP-STICK!!!!!FINALLY
RT-VERTICALS
DN-COUNTER****(PERFECT COMPLIMENT TO OUR ALREADY SOLID RUN GAME)
LT--PA CTR WAGGLE--PERFECT COMPLIMENT OUR RUNS ESPECIALLY THE COUNTER

The scheme is complete, and all of this by coming out in one formation and one play--SB BIG "STRETCH", we now have the following at our fingertips at any time we feel need to go to.

REGULAR AUDIBLES-- I left one open, that can be the final piece you may want to play around with. That's what I intend to do

HB POWER-SB ACE TWINS
POWER O-SB ACE BIG WING
Z SPOT--SB ACE TWIN TE
HB SCREEN SB ACE TWIN TE FLEX

Our tally of plays for our scheme includes the following

RUNS

STRETCH
HB POWER
HB DIVE
POWER O
INSIDE ZONE
HB COUNTER

QUICK PASS

SLANTS
STICK

INTERMEDIATE PASS

TE CROSS
SMASH
CORNERSTRIKE
Z SPOT
FLK DIG
VERTICALS

PLAY ACTION

PA TE POST
PA DAGGER
PA FLK CLOWN
PA TE FLOOD
PA CTR WAGGLE

All of this and HB SCREEN as well! There you have it, "IRISHFBFAN1'S BAMA ONEBACK ATTACK". I hope you enjoyed it. I hope you give it a try and feel free to add or take out as you please. I feel one can gain a lot from this scheme even though you may not use this book. Carefully selecting plays that do not overlap, carefully selecting sets that may be fused together to create schemes, carefully utilizing and memorizing your formation audibles to use as your advantage, and finally carefully placing effective run or pass concepts in your regular audibles to use when needed or use to move from one set to another, all of this is what helps you develop a solid scheme. I hope I have helped many of you, and I hope you have enjoyed this ride through the BAMA Book, I know I have enjoyed it myself. SEE YOU IN THE LAB!

IRISHFBFAN1

morsdraconis
08-06-2010, 12:37 AM
That's a spectacular write up irish.

My only real issue with the oneback offense is it's a whole new blocking scheme to take into account when it comes to running the ball. It seems like the line splits in the game cause a lot of holes up the A and B gaps and really let the weakside DT just have his way most of the time (especially with pulling guards and such).

Then, against the 34 defense, the MLBs are the biggest threats at stopping the play behind the line if they attack those same gaps, especially against stretch plays and such.

Any suggestions on how to take care of those situations as I've had MLBs and weakside DTs blow up plays that should be working beautifully?

Slaticus
08-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Use a lot of motion. Use the motion man as a lead blocker. It helps fix that issue quite a bit

irishfbfan1
08-06-2010, 07:06 PM
That's a spectacular write up irish.

My only real issue with the oneback offense is it's a whole new blocking scheme to take into account when it comes to running the ball. It seems like the line splits in the game cause a lot of holes up the A and B gaps and really let the weakside DT just have his way most of the time (especially with pulling guards and such).

Then, against the 34 defense, the MLBs are the biggest threats at stopping the play behind the line if they attack those same gaps, especially against stretch plays and such.

Any suggestions on how to take care of those situations as I've had MLBs and weakside DTs blow up plays that should be working beautifully?

The new blocking is the reason I chose this scheme. Remember, dont expect miracles overnight, you have to work this scheme. I have not had problems with any penetration like your talking. Of course when I see them setting up a gap heat I am running wide, when they spread out I am running inside, when they have more in the box then I can handle I am throwing, when they take away the pass I am back to the run. These are solid run plays, these are not just any run of the mill runs, these are the basis of a solid run game. H back blocking does help as long as you run away from the motion at times, and as long as you play action with the motion at times. So much to running this book but when you get it, and you will know, it is pure beauty which can attack by air and ground.

morsdraconis
08-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I will definitely have to give it a try some. I've never really given the offense a whole lot of chances so that may be part of it. I get antsy and try push it and that's probably part of my issue as well.

I'm definitely going to have to give it a try though.

irishfbfan1
08-06-2010, 09:16 PM
I will definitely have to give it a try some. I've never really given the offense a whole lot of chances so that may be part of it. I get antsy and try push it and that's probably part of my issue as well.

I'm definitely going to have to give it a try though.

This offense is not for everybody but the pass game is very good when you start sinking your teeth into it.

What book ar you using?

irishfbfan1
08-07-2010, 12:40 AM
UPDATE***

Really looked at the SG Formations this evening with this book and the one set that really goes very much with this particular scheme is the SG TWIN FLEX. This is the cousin to the under center version of this set. INSIDE CROSS would be an excellent fit to put into your audibles, and going from the SB version, it fits very nicely as the QB just backs up and the RB moves to his right. INSIDE CROSS is nothing more than Shallow cross. It has a BLUE ROUTE with it by the back which I am finding is very good vs man coverage. The formation Audibles in this set overlap a little with what we have done so far from our SB Sets, but you knew that was eventually going to take place. Here they are for the SG VERSION OF TWINTE SLEX

SHOTGUN TWIN TE FLEX

UP-STICK
RT VERTICALS
DN-OFF TACKLE/AUTO MOTION
LT--PA SLOT POST

The other play out of this set that I like is SMASH. This play actually features what I consider a dual concept. To the left, or the twins side if you will you have the classic hitch/corner Ala SMASH Concept. Ahi/lo read on the corner. To the right side, where the 2 TE'S are locate you have
a DRIVE Concept which includes the DIG/SHALLOW Concept.

Both of these plays would fit very nicely with our scheme. By putting one of them in our regular audibles we now have the option of coming out in the SG VERSION of TWIN TE FLEX with the play we did not put in our audibles and now we have 2 great pass plays at our fingertips as well as the option of audibling back down to the under-center cousin to this set for whatever reason we see fit.

We will be talking about SG TRIO very soon, I have something I think you guys are going to like with the WR Screen out of this set.

morsdraconis
08-07-2010, 07:55 AM
This offense is not for everybody but the pass game is very good when you start sinking your teeth into it.

What book ar you using?

I was using Idaho's playbook (really my favorite of the available oneback offensive playbooks). I was using it with Idaho, which I'm sure had part of the effects that I was seeing.

I tried out your setup last night and I definitely see the uses for it but being an offline player, setups like that really don't help much against the CPU (besides the natural flow of the playcalling).

In my offline dynasty, I'm probably going to be switching to a one back offense from my spread offense (Auburn playbook) because my option QB graduated (back to an under center non-mobile QB) and I'm down to one TE and one FB so going to the one back offense with twin TEs (moving the FB to the 2nd TE spot) makes the most sense.

It's either that or going back to my old standby the Stanford playbook with it's power formations (mainly I-Form and I-Form Twins).

SirHellraiser
08-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Irish Will you be doing any Videos of this? I like what i read but i am more of a visual person and not seeing how this can be done

SirHellraiser
08-10-2010, 07:36 AM
So last night like a giddy little school boy went home and tried a very small portion of this and i have to see i understand what you are doing so far and I like it

irishfbfan1
08-13-2010, 03:36 AM
glad you like it. The pass game belongs to a couple of guys and it is not included yet at their request. Onc you see this you will love the scheme for sure. I pretty much came up with this run and pass scheme from undercenter. More to come.

As far as the videos, I would love to if somebody would tell me how and what I need to put them up lol!

jamiewoodson
08-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Great work on this. Started using Alabama's playbook today after reading this.

irishfbfan1
08-24-2010, 09:22 PM
great, If I can be of any help please do not hesitate to ask. Also, in time I will update the SHOTGUN stuff that goes with this scheme. Some of it is not mine and I am working with those guys who are implementing this run section with their pass scheme and doing so effectively. They don't want the pass stuff out yet but it will be before to long.

gigemaggs99
09-29-2010, 08:23 AM
All I can say is NAUGHTY!

This is a very cool scheme. I'm going to practice my brains out to learn it. I've been playing my buddy with the Air Raid, next time we play I'm going to try this out on him....

THIS IS GREAT STUFF!

gigemaggs99
09-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Just wanted to say, after a few hours of practicing this scheme I started in an OD with my buddy. We are playing MAC teams with SSN sliders from OS. I'm Ohio, he is Bowling Green....

Well I came out in SB ACE Stretch and worked my running game magic. Nothing big, just nice solid yards. I was up at the half 17-10. In the 2nd half I each time I'd come out in the SB ACE Stretch the CPU would bring his DBs and Safties to the line as either a blitz, a fake blitz or just press coverage. I'd use my stick audible for quick slants and hot route my WR in single coverage on a streak route....well long story short, this worked EVERY time and I ended up throwing 9 TDs for the game, winning 70-16.

It was wild, each time I'd come out in the same run formation and play (stretch) and the defense would run up to the LOS I was like, NO WAY but it kept working!

The season TD record for a QB at Ohio is 20 in 2009, well I threw 9 in 1 game, looks like I'm going after that record :-) ( just hope he doesn't get hurt)

Papa LoneStar
09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
I want to thank you for this thread. It made me check out the Alabama playbook which allowed me to run for 1,960 rushing yards and 40 TDs with an 88 overall Chris Whaley (Longhorns) as a junior in an online dynasty (Powerhouse).
I don't have the free time (that I used to) to have your FULL scheme in my hands, but this playbook helped me run more power runs instead of the plays made for speed guys (Oregon State) with an OL that had young tackles along with a great center and very good guards.
I have started to recruit more TEs (place one as FB for blocking and catching in the appropiate formations) and next year should be special with a senior Whaley (should be improved to 90+ overall/trucking with at least 91 speed) and the #1 RB as a true freshman who has A+ speed, A- agility/acceleration at 6'2" 225. I'm very excited. Thank you!

Roy38
10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I thought I would take a look at this last night and found it to be very similar to my Southern Miss scheme. Since my online dynasty team is gradually moving towards a classic drop back passer (more because I haven't been able to recruit a suitable mobile QB), I need a little more diversity from under center. The only thing this playbook lacks for me is a tad more in the I-Form department. I like what they've included in the Pistol sets, but as we all agree on, the running game from the Pistol needs help. Obviously, Dives, Slams, Counters, and the occasional Stretch seem to work decently, but outside of those, you'd be better off passing from these formations. By the way, is it just me or is PA from the Pistol seem quicker and smoother than from the Shotgun?