PDA

View Full Version : Madden 25 Reviews

CLW
08-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Reviews are starting to come out now. Looks mostly positive but NOTHING really big this year. I suspect if you liked it in the past few years you will like it again if not you won't. I'm going to download it tonight and see but I'm most likely passing until PS4.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/madden-nfl-25/critic-reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/Madden+NFL+25/results

jaymo76
08-23-2013, 01:17 PM
OS review by MMCHRIS gave it a 7.5. The theme continues... it's good... but... it's still Madden with the same issues.

http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/717/madden-nfl-25/

CLW
08-23-2013, 06:09 PM
OS review by MMCHRIS gave it a 7.5. The theme continues... it's good... but... it's still Madden with the same issues.

http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/717/madden-nfl-25/

Yep that's my conclusion as well which means a pass for now and we will see what (if any) improvements are made on PS4.

jaymo76
08-24-2013, 02:42 PM
After spending the enitire day with Madden 25 playing around with both online and offline CFM I am pretty comfortable with my findings. I don't do Mut or anything like that. I simply do single-player CFM and overall I am pleased with the experience. Now if you are looking for a true sim experience then stay away from Madden 25 because you will not find it here. Madden 25 is like all previous maddens in that it tries to mix in "fun" and "video game football." If you're okay with that then you will enjoy Madden 25.

Madden 25 essentially plays like all other Maddens before it. With Tiburon football, what you see is what you get. There are no surprises; there is no radically different gameplay; there is an abundance of legacy issues, there are a nuber of features missing or incomplete, presentation and atmosphere continues to be a weak spot, etc. etc. etc.

Pros:
owner mode - it's a lot of fun
rushing / precision modifier (rushing the ball is fun again)
multiple character control in online/offline CFM
transaction log
visuals are fantastic
much more improved trade screen
improved pre-season logic regatding player rotation
excellent crowds and chants (though so much more is needed)
field and uniform degredation are perfect!
diverse selection of plays and playbooks
madden share feature... very well done IMO
very quick game start-up
Daielle Bellini adds a little bit to the game (but it still needs to be so much more)
including of halftime stats and qb comparisons
decent number of uniform combinations and options
the draft (as long as you don't import NCAA rosters)
player position change editing in the offseason (though there is only partial editing of positions available)
multiple playable cameras

Cons:
formation subs don't stay from game to game
still no changing cpu uniform (unless you use a 2nd controller)
very weak sliders and continued legacy issues with penalties
cpu passing and a weak zone make for bug cpu qb gains
no ability to watch cpu vs cpu (this includes the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl
cpu teams cut far too many talented players in their prime
no practise roster - to develop players
no ability to adjust salary structure ( likne in Madden 12)
high number of drops and ints by the hum and cpu players
lack of gang tackles and almost no assisted tackles
owner mode* (great start but it could be so muh more...)
* coach hiring is absolutely brutal!
* more depth needed for relocation
* importing NCAA draft classes ruins the immersion of CFM (no stories, profiles, etc.)
* no weekly wrap up show / feeling of isolation from the rest of the league
LE glitch were the LE is so much more powerful than the RE
presentation is just terrible... continues to be a sore spot for Tiburon football
gameface doesn't work very well
slow, laggy menus
no true coach mode
complete lack of stat overlays / no real broadcast presentation elements / no halftime show

This is not a complete list by any stretch but they are just some of the things on the top of my head. Even though the game has issues I must give Madden 25 credit: it ended the ps3 generation on a high note, after such a dismal performance since 06. My advice is to accept that this is a VIDEO football game and meant to be fun. If you don't like that reasoning do not buy this game because you will simply be frustrated.

Rudy
08-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Nice write-up Jaymo. So the LE dominance continues? Wake will have a field day for me. I thought the demo was better than M13.

jaymo76
08-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Nice write-up Jaymo. So the LE dominance continues? Wake will have a field day for me. I thought the demo was better than M13.

I just played vs. Dallas and Chris Long had 3 sacks and 9 tackles. IMO the left side still gets more pressure.

jaymo76
08-24-2013, 11:26 PM
I am doing a little relocation test again. Currently I am owner of the Vikes, Raiders, Jags, and Rams. Interestingly I am trying to move both the Rams and Vikes to LA. Right now the cpu is letting me move two teams to LA. Not all markets were available twice, just the big ones (eg LA and London, etc.).

I noticed that with position changes, you can actually change sides during the season (eg LE to RE). That's a good addition from last year. You can't move a lineman to MLB though as that is still for the offseason.

Okay I am almost finished simming... it takes like a good hour plust to get through one season via simming!

jaymo76
08-24-2013, 11:57 PM
So the new NFL teams are:

1. London Jaguars
2. Salt Lake City Raiders
3. LA Rams
4. LA Dreams (formerly Vikings)

My first observation... custom made teams do not show their uni combinations. There is no player model, just words so you have to go off of memory. Secondly, the stadiums look really good and the Dreams modern unis are great!

In week two of pre-season I checked out the Jags in London. I went with a deluxe stadium and it was awesome! I see there is no option to determine whether the roof is open or not. That really sucks IMO. And I can confirm that the endzone says "Jacksonville." It's the field they currently have now. This is really a poor effort on behalf of Tiburon.

I then went and checked out the Rams and their new LA home. If you move a team and keep the name the stadium will be called the team name followed by stadium (aka Rams Stadium). Just like Jacksonville the old team name is there as it's the existing Rams field. I also noticed that basic and deluxe stadiums are identical in their look. The differences are not able to be seen.

Week three and the Raiders finally have their home pre-season game. So we are off to Salt Lake (that just sounds so wrong). It seems as though as soon as you relocate a team you no longer see the blimp shots from over top of the stadium. Pretty much every game starts in the locker room, kind of like Madden 11. Okay the Raiders don't have Oakland in their endzone. So basically if your team has their name in their logo you will pretty much have to change name and unis.

jaymo76
08-25-2013, 12:05 AM
I noticed in the Dreams merchandise section that they are showing the Detroit Lions uniforms. It looks pretty silly. However, they have created images of authentic clothing and memorabilia which looks pretty cool.

It also appears that popularity from before relocations stays the same when you move. The Dreams have 80% local support but the poor Rams only have 5%. I blame it on using St. Louis on your field!!!

jaymo76
08-25-2013, 02:15 AM
I am doing a little relocation test again. Currently I am owner of the Vikes, Raiders, Jags, and Rams. Interestingly I am trying to move both the Rams and Vikes to LA. Right now the cpu is letting me move two teams to LA. Not all markets were available twice, just the big ones (eg LA and London, etc.).

I noticed that with position changes, you can actually change sides during the season (eg LE to RE). That's a good addition from last year. You can't move a lineman to MLB though as that is still for the offseason.

Okay I am almost finished simming... it takes like a good hour plust to get through one season via simming!

So the new NFL teams are:

1. London Jaguars
2. Salt Lake City Raiders
3. LA Rams
4. LA Dreams (formerly Vikings)

My first observation... custom made teams do not show their uni combinations. There is no player model, just words so you have to go off of memory. Secondly, the stadiums look really good and the Dreams modern unis are great!

In week two of pre-season I checked out the Jags in London. I went with a deluxe stadium and it was awesome! I see there is no option to determine whether the roof is open or not. That really sucks IMO. And I can confirm that the endzone says "Jacksonville." It's the field they currently have now. This is really a poor effort on behalf of Tiburon.

I then went and checked out the Rams and their new LA home. If you move a team and keep the name the stadium will be called the team name followed by stadium (aka Rams Stadium). Just like Jacksonville the old team name is there as it's the existing Rams field. I also noticed that basic and deluxe stadiums are identical in their look. The differences are not able to be seen.

Week three and the Raiders finally have their home pre-season game. So we are off to Salt Lake (that just sounds so wrong). It seems as though as soon as you relocate a team you no longer see the blimp shots from over top of the stadium. Pretty much every game starts in the locker room, kind of like Madden 11. Okay the Raiders don't have Oakland in their endzone. So basically if your team has their name in their logo you will pretty much have to change name and unis.

I noticed in the Dreams merchandise section that they are showing the Detroit Lions uniforms. It looks pretty silly. However, they have created images of authentic clothing and memorabilia which looks pretty cool.

It also appears that popularity from before relocations stays the same when you move. The Dreams have 80% local support but the poor Rams only have 5%. I blame it on using St. Louis on your field!!!

Oops... my bad. These were all supposed to be in the impressions thread. Sorry guys.

Rudy
08-27-2013, 04:58 AM
I thought Shopmaster did a great job with his review.

http://mymaddenpad.com/2013/08/27/mmp-madden-25-review/

jaymo76
08-27-2013, 10:46 AM
I thought Shopmaster did a great job with his review.

http://mymaddenpad.com/2013/08/27/mmp-madden-25-review/

Fair review. I agree with a lot of what he says. However, on a few points we differ.

What really makes the game look good and something I know hardcore fans have been looking for is the foot planting. You won’t see any zig zag running and the momentum of players play a factor as well. Big guys can still cut better than usual but the progression of foot planting and how players cut and dig are big improvements this year even if casual fans don’t notice at all.

I still see if frequently from speed backs (hum and cpu). It is better though but still there.

commentary is improved.

Improved is perhaps a little too strong. Plus in year two they talk about the same thing they talked about in year one. Simply put. commentary must be dynamic. To say it cannot be done on this console gen. is false. This is an area Tiburon greatly struggles with and doesn't give a lot of focus too. Just look at the 2k sports series as proof of what can be done with commentary and presentation.

The newly retitled Connected Franchise mode offers an incredible amount of things to do while your trying to be the best owner possible.

It's a good start but outside of relocation there is a lot of wash, rinse, repeat. The mode has so much potential. I hope Tiburon doesn't abandon it in the future.

Pretty much everything else he says is true. However, it's interesting what he doesn't say. There is no mention of formation subs not sticking; there is no mention of continual wrong commentary at the wrong time/mixed up visuals between teams; there is no mention of sliders/auto-subs that have minimal impact on the game; there is no mention of having to do a work-around just to change the cpu uniform; there is no mention of assisted tackles almost never being recorded, etc.

I appreciate shop's passion and commitment to the game. However, sometimes I feel the gamechanger tag limits sharing all the info with the general public.

SCClassof93
08-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Fair review. I agree with a lot of what he says. However, on a few points we differ.

I still see if frequently from speed backs (hum and cpu). It is better though but still there.

Improved is perhaps a little too strong. Plus in year two they talk about the same thing they talked about in year one. Simply put. commentary must be dynamic. To say it cannot be done on this console gen. is false. This is an area Tiburon greatly struggles with and doesn't give a lot of focus too. Just look at the 2k sports series as proof of what can be done with commentary and presentation.

It's a good start but outside of relocation there is a lot of wash, rinse, repeat. The mode has so much potential. I hope Tiburon doesn't abandon it in the future.

Pretty much everything else he says is true. However, it's interesting what he doesn't say. There is no mention of formation subs not sticking; there is no mention of continual wrong commentary at the wrong time/mixed up visuals between teams; there is no mention of sliders/auto-subs that have minimal impact on the game; there is no mention of having to do a work-around just to change the cpu uniform; there is no mention of assisted tackles almost never being recorded, etc.

I appreciate shop's passion and commitment to the game. However, sometimes I feel the gamechanger tag limits sharing all the info with the general public.

AKA - must pump sunshine :D

jaymo76
08-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Okay here's is where I will give Madden 25 some credit. My season ticket has now expired and I do NOT own the game. I am sitting in the kitchen going through withdrawal pains. :D After beating Seattle last night in an epic prime-time struggle (17-13, though Seattle was leading 6-3 with 6 mins. left in the 4th quarter/11 min qrts.) my team is back in the hunt with a 5-3 record, just one game behind SF and in a tie with Seattle for 2nd in the division. We're still out o the playoff picture but Bradford is coming back in two weeks. Clemens has struggled and right now there is a qb controversy between him and Davis (as in who can throw the fewest ints.). At the half way point I blew a media question and now my fans are mad... well they're furious because I am moving the team to Houston at the end of the season. There are so many questions like will Bradford be replaced? Is Hunter going to be the starter over Richards when he returns from injury? Will Austin catch a pass or break a record for drops?, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is I like this game more than I thought and I am already on record saying that I like this game.

JBHuskers
08-27-2013, 04:32 PM
I forgot to turn off the auto renew for Season Ticket. Not a big deal as I was going to renew, but probably could have saved a few days :D

CLW
08-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Okay here's is where I will give Madden 25 some credit. My season ticket has now expired and I do NOT own the game. I am sitting in the kitchen going through withdrawal pains. :D After beating Seattle last night in an epic prime-time struggle (17-13, though Seattle was leading 6-3 with 6 mins. left in the 4th quarter/11 min qrts.) my team is back in the hunt with a 5-3 record, just one game behind SF and in a tie with Seattle for 2nd in the division. We're still out o the playoff picture but Bradford is coming back in two weeks. Clemens has struggled and right now there is a qb controversy between him and Davis (as in who can throw the fewest ints.). At the half way point I blew a media question and now my fans are mad... well they're furious because I am moving the team to Houston at the end of the season. There are so many questions like will Bradford be replaced? Is Hunter going to be the starter over Richards when he returns from injury? Will Austin catch a pass or break a record for drops?, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is I like this game more than I thought and I am already on record saying that I like this game.

What sliders are you using Jaymo? I might give them a shot with my GameFly rental.

jaymo76
08-27-2013, 06:17 PM
What sliders are you using Jaymo? I might give them a shot with my GameFly rental.

Right now I am using the ones I posted in the Madden sliders section.

jaymo76
08-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Pretty decent review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeELpBszpEo