PDA

View Full Version : CPU Play Calling Logic

CLW
08-05-2010, 08:07 PM
So... I just finished an OD game. I was Kent State and I got throttled by Penn State (which I expected and wanted).

The MAJOR problem I had with the game was the CPU did the following in the 4TH QUARTER leading by 48+ points:

1. Went for it on 2 4th Downs (converted both)

2. Threw 14 PASSES (only 5 runs)

3. Repeatedly blitzed the living hell out of me with BNR coveraged.

If that had been a HUM opponent in many leagues they would have been removed for running it up. LOL If that had been a HUM doing that they would have lost "precious" Season Showdown Sportsmanship Points. This game is solid in many aspects but CPU play calling isn't one of them IMO.

:smh:

JeffHCross
08-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Overall, I think the CPU Play Calling Logic is very good in this year's title, or at least above average.

However, I agree with CLW that the 4th quarter / late-game playcalling is horrendous. The CPU needs to be able to recognize when a game is out of hand and either run clock (if leading) or not try a miraculous comeback down 36 with :30 to go.

cdj
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I agree with both of you. Generally speaking, playcalling not bad overall but you do notice it late in games.

Very nice layout of the issue, CLW. I haven't seen them go for it on 4th down much - but that is pretty insulting in a game you are trailing big.

JeffHCross
08-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Strangely, I had a game recently when the CPU was down by a huge margin, and I noticed two things. One, my starters mysteriously disappeared, and I didn't pick Mass Subs. At least I don't recall doing so. It was almost like the CPU had switched on Mass Subs for ... but they didn't sub out their own starters.

The second thing was that the CPU wasn't in "comeback" mode. They were actually letting the clock run and had given up. Combine that with CLW's seeing them go for 2 4th downs when up 48, and I'm totally confused.

JBHuskers
08-05-2010, 09:42 PM
The second thing was that the CPU wasn't in "comeback" mode. They were actually letting the clock run and had given up.

I've had this happen a few times where I'd think they'd go for it and they punt, and they rush down 24 rather than try to get a quick score in the early 4th.

Rudy
08-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I won a game against Nebraska because they tried to score a TD with 10 seconds left on my 2 yard line and threw a pick. The game was tied. Just run to the middle and kick the FG.

I really wish some teams would just have the option removed from their playbook. I don't see slow footed QB options that often but it still happens too much. McElroy ran the option twice against me in the BCS game.

JeffHCross
08-05-2010, 10:47 PM
While I agree that teams that don't run the option should rarely, if ever, call it ... I wouldn't agree with removing it totally from their playbooks.

After all ... Ohio State / Michigan, 2002.

skipwondah33
08-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I think the CPU's play calling is comical at times. I look for mostly one play when I play them and thats the HB screen that they will run numerous times, so much I usually intercept it or force a sack because I manually cover the HB.

No matter the team, they constantly have been running this the past 3 versions.

Cipher 8
08-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Anybody else always get a screen to the left on 3rd down?

EDIT: lol didn't read the post above me.

UGA14
08-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I get screens a lot too and cover them. I've taken up playing SS on Heisman since my computer friends can't figure out how to stop the deep pass. So I also cover the screen. And apparently I stop the run and do just about everything on the field. It's like a one man defense out there.

I will say, Tech put up a slight fight on Heisman. They did break some nice runs, but for the most part I shut them down and it has been that way every year... spread teams don't play very well. Though Tech's option play wasn't too bad, they seemed to go up the middle when necessary, break outside when open... QB had an 85 yard run called back on clipping, but this is the first year so they're still geared to run this type of offense with a speedy QB, etc.

jaymo76
08-06-2010, 12:16 AM
The under two min fourth quarter passing when the cpu has the lead is very frustrating. Also, I don't seem to see the cpu use chew the clock as much this year as in 10.

HuskerBlitz
08-06-2010, 12:33 AM
It's amazing at how different some games can be. For me, I don't see a lot of screens at all, at least half back screens. Maybe it has been the teams I have been playing against, but screens haven't been too frequent.

steelerfan
08-06-2010, 12:34 AM
As I Penn State fan, I want to apologize to CLW for this shameful act of degradation. This is a result of the polls/bowl affiliations screwing the Lions out of the 1994 MNC. Sorry. :rolleyes:

:P

HuskerBlitz
08-06-2010, 12:37 AM
As I Penn State fan, I want to apologize to CLW for this shameful act of degradation. This is a result of the polls/bowl affiliations screwing the Lions out of the 1994 MNC. Sorry. :rolleyes:

:P

I'm sure 94 had nothing to do with it. JoePa is getting senile and probably thought the game had just started. :P

morsdraconis
08-06-2010, 12:43 AM
It's amazing at how different some games can be. For me, I don't see a lot of screens at all, at least half back screens. Maybe it has been the teams I have been playing against, but screens haven't been too frequent.

I'm the same way. I rarely see them throw HB screens now. I saw them A LOT with the default sliders, but, for whatever reason, with the sliders I use now, they are rarely throwing HB screens.

JBHuskers
08-06-2010, 12:48 AM
The under two min fourth quarter passing when the cpu has the lead is very frustrating. Also, I don't seem to see the cpu use chew the clock as much this year as in 10.

IIRC, the CPU doesn't start doing it until under 2 minutes left in the game.

steelerfan
08-06-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm sure 94 had nothing to do with it. JoePa is getting senile and probably thought the game had just started. :P

Can't completely argue, but JoePa isn't calling the shots either. ;)

Rudy
08-06-2010, 05:18 AM
I'm the same way. I rarely see them throw HB screens now. I saw them A LOT with the default sliders, but, for whatever reason, with the sliders I use now, they are rarely throwing HB screens.

Me too. I have no idea why but I have many games where the cpu throws 0 screens. I rarely see them right now.

steelerfan
08-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Me too. I have no idea why but I have many games where the cpu throws 0 screens. I rarely see them right now.

Do you play Man alot? Do you blitz much?

skipwondah33
08-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Well I have been getting them alot on every version, regardless of if I have been blitzing alot or not. They seem to turn to it when nothing else is working or they have a 3rd and long. This year in the Powerhouse OD, Boise State ran 3-4, one of them being when they were backed up on the 2-yd line. Needless to say I manually had it covered and it would have been a int TD in the endzone had he passed it, so we forced the safety.

I just played Duke a few days ago in the dynasty and they ran 4 HB screens.

morsdraconis
08-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I do play man quite a bit and I usually don't blitz a bunch (bringing maybe 1 or 2 extra guys, at the most) so maybe that has something to do with it but I don't know.

steelerfan
08-06-2010, 01:46 PM
I do remember Ben or Russ stating that the CPU will adapt to your playcalling style. It's logical that if you run zone or blitz a lot (evin in Man) in certain situations, the CPU will counter with screens. I, obviously, have no idea if that's what anyone is seeing happen though.

skipwondah33
08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't believe that to be honest. Why would the CPU run a screen when they are backed up on the 2-yd line? lol Or on a 3rd and 2?

When I play them usually I have to call every defense known to man in order to stop them sometimes but they will always go to ole reliable and throw the screen in. Mind you I don't use any of the defensive gameplanning features or run commit either.

steelerfan
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I dunno, Skip. I pass commit a lot. I play a lot of Cover 2 Man. I blitz occasionally and only run commit in a "4th & Goal at the 1" type situation. I don't see that many screens. I'm not sure what the answer is.

AustinWolv
08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
CPU runs screens on me all the time. Not every 3rd down of course, but quite often. More than they'll call draws for sure.

I play on Heisman, run a LOT of man D and am usually sending 5. Not as often I'll send 6. Lots of man coverage here, because the CPU picks apart zones very easily.

skipwondah33
08-06-2010, 03:15 PM
I dunno, Skip. I pass commit a lot. I play a lot of Cover 2 Man. I blitz occasionally and only run commit in a "4th & Goal at the 1" type situation. I don't see that many screens. I'm not sure what the answer is.

Yeah me either, somtimes I think they just might get desperate. Its about even on both difficulties for me (AA and Heisman) as to how often I see them.

mundo
08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I have had similar experiences with about all of you guys actually. I also agree that the playcalling by the CPU is, in general, better than I remember it being

The best CPU playcalling scenario that I think backs up the adjusting to your play calling: Their use of the draw on 3rd downs, especially if I go with 8 man coverage and commit to the pass quite a bit.

The worst playcalling problem I see: the double corner blitz in the last 2 minutes of the half. I have nailed them over the middle for a TD on it at least 5 or 6 time. It is just not a playcall that makes sense at that time in my area of the field. I would almost say they should not call this defense at all unless they were playing a flex or other option team.

A fringe playcalling tweak that I think would be cool: More audibles to "spread" offense quick passes when it is obvious I have loaded the box against their run. Mind you I know there are teams that are run teams and if they audibled every time they would completely get out of their offense. However, I think there are times when they are in 3 to 4 wr sets and I attack the with the 3-4, almost certain they are going to run, that they should attack the mismatches a little more with controlled passes like bubbles or flats. Furthermore, I think additions to audibles that allow us to do that would be cool as well

JeffHCross
08-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I play a lot of man, and the other day the CPU hit me with two screens in a row. Not only that, but I think both went for first downs. I don't think I've ever been so peeved at my defense.

JeffHCross
08-06-2010, 10:26 PM
With 1:46 to go in the game, facing a 4th and 16 from deep in their own territory, the CPU called a punt and ran the play clock down.

They're behind 17-14.

UGA14
08-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I just saw that as well in the SEC Championship game. I was beating Alabama 29-28 with 1:40~ to go and they had to punt and ran the clock all the way down.

HuskerBlitz
08-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Nebraska had the opportunity to run up the score on me tonight in my OD game. I was down 38-0 early in the third and NU actually began running the ball on about 80-85% of the second half plays. Heck, I think they only attempted only about 5 second half passes.

Cipher 8
08-07-2010, 03:40 AM
I do remember Ben or Russ stating that the CPU will adapt to your playcalling style. It's logical that if you run zone or blitz a lot (evin in Man) in certain situations, the CPU will counter with screens. I, obviously, have no idea if that's what anyone is seeing happen though.
That makes sense to me. I almost never use zone coverage and I tend to blitz either a safety or a lineback, sometimes both so it is smart of them to run the screens when they do.

Rudy
08-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Do you play Man alot? Do you blitz much?

I usually play more man to man than zone (probably 60-70% man although that fluctuates based on results, zone with aggressive zones in game planning works well imo) and I'm not a blitz heavy team. I usually send four guys and occassionally a fifth one. Rarely do I send 6 guys. Maybe that's why the cpu doesn't run a lot of screens.