PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Line: Agressive

Oneback
08-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Since it has been brought up what are everyone's thoughts on this?

JeffHCross
08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Since it has been brought up what are everyone's thoughts on this?I've been using it constantly since it was introduced in '10. I'm all for it, because the pass rush is nearly non-existant without it, in my experience. I'm also fairly confident that most, if not all of the league, was using it last season. It seems toned down from that, even.

It's also one of the few things that seems consistent between playing the CPU and playing HUM. I don't see a critical reason to adjust this for HUM games only. Eliminating it completely would put us at a decided disadvantage (in terms of pass rush) against CPU.

texacotea
08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
I've been using it constantly since it was introduced in '10. I'm all for it, because the pass rush is nearly non-existant without it, in my experience. I'm also fairly confident that most, if not all of the league, was using it last season. It seems toned down from that, even.

It's also one of the few things that seems consistent between playing the CPU and playing HUM. I don't see a critical reason to adjust this for HUM games only. Eliminating it completely would put us at a decided disadvantage (in terms of pass rush) against CPU.

Agree with Jeff. Its already difficult to stop the run this would only make it worse IMO this includes pass rush also, there is no pressure without sending some and then its not a given to get some there.

JeffHCross
08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Cross posting from another thread:

once i saw JTS for 3 straight plays on my first seriesThat's pretty much what I've done, dating back to when I joined PH in NCAA '10. If my opponent runs it, I turn it on. If they don't, I leave it off. If my line starts to dominate too much, I turn it off. With Gameplan being deemphasized this year, there have been some games I've completely forgotten about it.

-----

I will say that I'm hesitant to believe FSU's opinion that his RG was getting beat because of JTS consistently. Running JTS as a HUM, that hasn't been my experience at all. More often than not, JTS seems to give me little if any benefit. Randomly I'll get a good jump that'll lead to a sack, but that's about it. Running blocks being broken have not seemed to have been influenced by JTS, in my observation (though with obviously limited testing).

It's also worth mentioning that I ran against the same Miami defense, with JTS on, and was able to find success in the running game.

texacotea
08-02-2010, 12:01 PM
It's also worth mentioning that I ran against the same Miami defense, with JTS on, and was able to find success in the running game.

alot of success, I dont see a problem in it, its something that is not overbearing like it has been. And I never played with a D-lineman to help out any either.

skipwondah33
08-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't use it, dont care for it either. I hate the idea of being able to tell your entire team to do something aggressively and all 4 or 7 or 11 be able to do it all at once just because of a setting. Just like being able to tell your secondary to play aggressive coverage...then all of sudden them turning into telepathic Derelle Revis's. This is something they should be doing anyway depending on the play you call not because of a setting.

There is no penalty towards it IMO, I'd probably say there are more false start penalties than encroachment penalties if you are trying to draw someone off sides. In fact many people just leave it on all game because of this and the positive out weighs the negative.

I get fairly good pressure without using it and stop the run just as well. I believe my team is at a pretty solid number for sacks actually.

Oneback
08-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I can go either way on this. Thus far in NCAA 11 I haven't used it once. In NCAA 10 I used it all the time however due to the lack of a pass rush.

So far not using it hasn't hurt me as I've only given up 57 points on the year.

skipwondah33
08-02-2010, 12:42 PM
So far not using it hasn't hurt me as I've only given up 57 points on the year.

and you have a d-lineman close to leading the nation in sacks

Oneback
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
and you have a d-lineman close to leading the nation in sacks

Very true, although he had three sacks in one game against an inferior opponent, but hasn't done a lot since.

Papa LoneStar
08-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I haven't used it so far this year and I'm doing pretty decent against the cpu (except :-( Kendall Hunter)....I used to use it all the time on 10....but playing tight games against G, Jeff, and Oneback....those 5 yard penalties were killing me....so I've learned to go without....in fact....the only gameplan I do is conversative for catching, running, and stripping....I've learned that if I limit my turnovers....I'll be in a good position to win (breaking news!!!!).

Papa LoneStar
08-02-2010, 12:56 PM
After all my blabbering....my vote is....it doesn't matter....I just enjoy playing with a group that is as passionate as I am about being able to play dynastys with others....as long as yall are happy....I am, too. [/sissy voice]

gschwendt
08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I haven't used it at all myself and my DL seems to do well enough.

psusnoop
08-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I have used it since 2010 version as well. I sometimes forget to use in 2011 because I forget to go into the section but I'm with Papa on this one. Whatever makes everyone happy then I'm all for it.

One thing, I swear I noticed that I got a JTS showing even when it was turned off, I was using my MLB at the time. Maybe I was wrong, but can we make sure of this tonight as well?

skipwondah33
08-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I have used it since 2010 version as well. I sometimes forget to use in 2011 because I forget to go into the section but I'm with Papa on this one. Whatever makes everyone happy then I'm all for it.

One thing, I swear I noticed that I got a JTS showing even when it was turned off, I was using my MLB at the time. Maybe I was wrong, but can we make sure of this tonight as well?

You may have been approaching the line and moved towards it at the snap of the ball. You can actually user JTS which is much more realistic because its hard to do not knowing when the CPU will snap the ball.

psusnoop
08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
OK I thought for sure I was getting that message when I didn't have it set. Now the million dollar question is can this be controlled? I mean, what if I can get it to come up almost every play, and someone thinks that I have it set when in fact I don't. What happens then, and how do you tell you the difference?

skipwondah33
08-02-2010, 02:12 PM
OK I thought for sure I was getting that message when I didn't have it set. Now the million dollar question is can this be controlled? I mean, what if I can get it to come up almost every play, and someone thinks that I have it set when in fact I don't. What happens then, and how do you tell you the difference?

If you get it to come up every play then you have the timing and reaction of a snake lol. That or you notice your opponent snaping the ball at 15 EVERY single play

Marlowe
08-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I usually forget it's there. I don't really think you need it this year if you learn your dl moves.

And as I posted I realize this wasn't a general discussion. Lol sorry guys...

Kingpin32
08-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I use it mainly because my D line isn't that good just yet, so it's one of the only ways I get pressure on the QB.

skipwondah33
08-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I use it mainly because my D line isn't that good just yet, so it's one of the only ways I get pressure on the QB.

Which is crazy because your DE leads the nation in sacks and he's not all that good like you said.

Kingpin32
08-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Which is crazy because your DE leads the nation in sacks and he's not all that good like you said.

That's because I always user control him. I'm pretty good at using the DEs so I always have good stats with one DE.

fsuprime
08-02-2010, 03:39 PM
hey i dont mind it, it makes man coverage easier to play and stops the run much better as well, which helps win ball games. I cant comment on Jeff's success running on miami, not sure if he saw 9 in the box all game or not, and im not sure about how our OLs matchup either, or if he uses alot of 1 WR looks which give a decided advantage to the running game or how he runs his offense until i play him (also jeff *in general* was a lot better at running the rock than i was last year so i might just suck at it*. I know playing in another OD where all aggressive settings are banned we still have low scoring affairs and rushing yards are still held in check, and you do not get sacked instantly on playaction either. Who knows maybe with the patch it wont be so extreme, i dont run any aggressive settings vs the cpu and still generate pressure and my DL is average at best.

I vote to not have it to alleviate problems with man coverage as well as just being completely unrealistic like skip said...yea the cpu uses it, but honestly the cpu needs all the help it can get, of course, will agree with the group.

also *edit* if u can get it manually every play, it will be obvious that you are playing a DL or a blitzing LB, not user controlling a safety, which is fine with me.

skipwondah33
08-02-2010, 03:56 PM
hey i dont mind it, it makes man coverage easier to play and stops the run much better as well, which helps win ball games.

Those should be things a user is figuring out how to stop or selecting plays to stop them, not just by switching on a setting that takes no skill to pull off IMO

fsuprime
08-02-2010, 04:01 PM
i was just pointing out that turning them on makes my life easier ;) i vote to not allow it all, and think it is stupid.

JeffHCross
08-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Not 1WR sets, FSU, but I was running from two-back most of the time. I figure you were running Shotgun, yes? Personally, I think that's more of a cause for your problem, if I'm assuming correctly, than JTS.

So far we've got three guys who use it, four guys who don't really care one way or another, and two who are passionately against it.

Sounds just about like every other Powerhouse vote.

Oneback
08-02-2010, 04:07 PM

And you thought this was easy.

fsuprime
08-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Not 1WR sets, FSU, but I was running from two-back most of the time. I figure you were running Shotgun, yes? Personally, I think that's more of a cause for your problem, if I'm assuming correctly, than JTS.

So far we've got three guys who use it, four guys who don't really care one way or another, and two who are passionately against it.

nah i run out of the I and oneback sets, i tried a few plays out of the gun, but tex stayed with his base D set alot against 3 and 4 WRs so it was easier just to pass it.

psusnoop
08-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I can get the JTS to appear even if I'm playing zone with that LB'r, for the record. I'm sure I can't do it every play but I'm positive I can do it.

texacotea
08-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I set it to aggressive because of the way that jeff ran against me. I have had trouble stopping the run and didnt want someone to run for over 200 on me again. And if setting something to something and it makes something that is over done more over done I think is taking advantage of something.

Kingpin32
08-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I set it to aggressive because of the way that jeff ran against me. I have had trouble stopping the run and didnt want someone to run for over 200 on me again. And if setting something to something and it makes something that is over done more over done I think is taking advantage of something.

Thats one too many somethings. ;)

texacotea
08-02-2010, 06:15 PM
or maybe something right???