PDA

View Full Version : Camera Angles

Rudy
05-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm waiting to hear information on camera angles. Some guys obsess over dreadlocks, player ratings, socks, chain gangs, etc. I love different camera angles. I love all the pitching camera angles I can create in MLB 2K10. Most sports games gives us multiple camera options along with edits for zoom. Football is a little harder on next gen because EA wants to lock the game in at 60 fps. Different camera angles can affect this. However, we all have different tastes and I hope we get some good news on this.

I thought the impact camera would be a great addition last year and many people loved it. I hated how it constantly rotated. When the camera is moving all the time I find it disorienting. It's a big reason why I refuse to play first person shooters. I'd love to have a defensive camera just like the offensive one except rotated 180 degrees. Lock it in and let me play from that viewpoint with no rotation.

I used to play using the Blimp camera on Madden for the PS1. I love a higher, overhead view. I'm willing to sacrifice graphics for a more zoomed out view in most sports games. That's why last year's lower camera that also seemed to rotate a bit was annoying to me.

In the Madden run blocking Power O video (http://maddennfl.easports.com/blog.action?blogId=Blocking), I love the camera angle of the first replay at 6 or 7 seconds. That looks great to me. I hope something like that is available in NCAA this year. I loved the NCAA 09 camera so just bringing that back would really make me happy.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Personally, I have very few problems with the current camera on offense, but I would like to have the camera behind my guys on defense when I am playing vs the cpu. I think it would be helpful for the most part but I can see it leading to problems with recievers going deep. The road to glory cameras need to be a constant WIP because this mode lives & dies with it's camera angles. If you can't see everything you need to this mode is pointless.

Solidice
05-13-2010, 04:16 PM
I've had trouble on defense using the NCAA 10 camera, at least when playing versus another user. something to do with the way the camera swivels or rotates when my opponent gets near the sideline always seems to make me miss angles/tackles. likely just my bad stick skill showing, but it wasn't that big an issue for me in '09 if I remember correctly.

on offense, I like that I can see my outside WRs for once. In '09, there were some routes where my WRs were off the screen. but like you Rudy, the camera rotation bothered me some.

options are always nice to have.

gschwendt
05-13-2010, 04:24 PM
I've had trouble on defense using the NCAA 10 camera, at least when playing versus another user. something to do with the way the camera swivels or rotates when my opponent gets near the sideline always seems to make me miss angles/tackles. likely just my bad stick skill showing, but it wasn't that big an issue for me in '09 if I remember correctly.

on offense, I like that I can see my outside WRs for once. In '09, there were some routes where my WRs were off the screen. but like you Rudy, the camera rotation bothered me some.

options are always nice to have.I had those same problems on defense in '10 and I consider my stick skills above average. This year it won't be the camera angle carrying you out of the play, it will be the locomotion and getting juked out of your cleats when you commit to a hit too soon. :)

texacotea
05-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I had those same problems on defense in '10 and I consider my stick skills above average. This year it won't be the camera angle carrying you out of the play, it will be the locomotion and getting juked out of your cleats when you commit to a hit too soon. :)

:confused:

Solidice
05-13-2010, 05:01 PM
I had those same problems on defense in '10 and I consider my stick skills above average. This year it won't be the camera angle carrying you out of the play, it will be the locomotion and getting juked out of your cleats when you commit to a hit too soon. :)

I'll take missing tackles because of locomotion over missing them because of the camera angle. :p

gschwendt
05-13-2010, 05:04 PM
:confused:
Well... I was trying to be modest but you're right. My stick skills are superior.

texacotea
05-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Well... I was trying to be modest but you're right. My stick skills are superior.

thats better, Camera angle never really bothered me that I remember but I would like the option of "blimp" camera.

Rudy
05-13-2010, 05:32 PM

lol

How many times have you played Chris or JB? I'd be curious to hear what those records are.

cdj
05-13-2010, 05:38 PM
lol

How many times have you played Chris or JB? I'd be curious to hear what those records are.

Last time we played he beat me, but I think I won the match-up before that. G is a real solid player.

gschwendt
05-13-2010, 06:05 PM
lol

You and I have played actually... I believe I do (or at least did) hold the claim that I'm the only person you've ever played online. We played in an OD that you, me, cdj, & JB were trying to play in (I think it was NCAA09). It faded rather quickly (first few weeks) but you & I had a User vs User game in it.

Anyway, as Chris mentioned, he & I go back and forth in our games... who wins just depends upon which way the wind is blowing that day. JB and I have only played a handful of times but I'm fairly sure that I've won each of the meetings including one at Community Day that I came back down 21-0 in the 4th quarter to send it to overtime; I won that one :).

steelerfan
05-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I wish the camera was a little further back so the wideouts were in the screen before the snap.

cdj has managed to avoid me online by telling his PS3 to not connect with mine.:p

Rudy
05-13-2010, 07:24 PM
You and I have played actually... I believe I do (or at least did) hold the claim that I'm the only person you've ever played online. We played in an OD that you, me, cdj, & JB were trying to play in (I think it was NCAA09). It faded rather quickly (first few weeks) but you & I had a User vs User game in it.

I remember beating you actually. :) You tied it up at 14 to force OT and I think you got screwed on a fumble call in OT they wouldn't let you challenge. I ended up kicking a FG after three straight runs but I should have just missed the kick intentionally since the game kind of screwed you. Felt bad about that. The OD took forever to start as some guys just didn't play or do anything. My schedule made it tough anyways so it just sort of fell apart. I wouldn't mind playing some of the guys here when NCAA 11 comes out.

You ARE the only person I played a full NCAA 09 game with. I did try playing against a random guy earlier this year who ended up being a loser and quit on me in the 3rd quarter after failing on 4th and 13 on his own 20 yard line. Just reminded me why I don't play online - just wastes my time it seems.

texacotea
05-13-2010, 07:28 PM
So G we talking about online games :D

gschwendt
05-13-2010, 07:46 PM
I remember beating you actually. :) You tied it up at 14 to force OT and I think you got screwed on a fumble call in OT they wouldn't let you challenge. I ended up kicking a FG after three straight runs but I should have just missed the kick intentionally since the game kind of screwed you. Felt bad about that. The OD took forever to start as some guys just didn't play or do anything. My schedule made it tough anyways so it just sort of fell apart. I wouldn't mind playing some of the guys here when NCAA 11 comes out.

You ARE the only person I played a full NCAA 09 game with. I did try playing against a random guy earlier this year who ended up being a loser and quit on me in the 3rd quarter after failing on 4th and 13 on his own 20 yard line. Just reminded me why I don't play online - just wastes my time it seems.I didn't remember the outcome but now that you remind me I do. That definitely bugged me back then... but I didn't blame you for taking the points and the win. Not sure how I would have handled it in the same situation but I would have had to think hard for both options.

I definitely plan to play a lot of the guys in this community this year. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

So G we talking about online games :D
Well, this thread wasn't intended to be a e-peen measuring thread or anything... but you and I definitely have had our fair share of ups and downs in our rivalry over the years.

texacotea
05-13-2010, 08:45 PM
whats hanging out with the guys with out measuring up?

Rudy
05-13-2010, 09:26 PM
All I know is that I expect my offense to struggle when I play anyone. I'm just not a great offensive player and I'm not overly good on the sticks either. About the only good thing I can do is call a good defensive game and use slants and shifts to help shut down the running game. I'm usually a MLB and I never change during the play. I'm looking forward to locomotion as I think the added momentum will actually help my playing style rather than hurt it. I was much better in manual pass coverage on the PS2 than I was on the PS3.

BlindRedBaron
05-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Agreed that 10's camera angle could use an improvement. I personally don't mind the movement of it too much, despite the occasional losing an opponents receiver entirely off-screen in an online game. If they zoom it out just a tad and tone down the movement so that it's more subtle, I think it'll be just fine.

Granted, some options with regards to camera angle would be ideal!

JeffHCross
05-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Well... I was trying to be modest but you're right. My stick skills are superior.Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Actually, on defense I'll easily concede this point. There's a reason I use the defensive line.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-14-2010, 08:23 AM
i over-ride the default camera angle on offense to see my WR's by switching to the CENTER and then back to my QB... this leaves the camera zoomed out pre-snap, and allows me to get a good feel for everything as it zooms back in to normal default... but i would love to have the overhead cam back for sure... a coach's dream to play this game like were used to watching game film from the high end-zone shots... ;)

"E"

Rudy
05-14-2010, 08:30 AM
I'd rather sit in the last row of the upper deck at the 50 yard line than be in row 1 at the 50. You can see so much more whne you are higher. I've actually sat in really good tickets (row 3, 45 yard line) at Ford Field and been disappointed with them. You are so close it's hard to see what's going on. I've also sat at the final row of the Silverdome (row 28 of a massive upper deck at the 35 yard line) and I liked it. I was right next to the polaroid guys.

Coachdenz
05-14-2010, 09:51 PM
I like the boardcast Angle in Madden 10 for watching games.

JeffHCross
05-14-2010, 11:14 PM
i over-ride the default camera angle on offense to see my WR's by switching to the CENTER and then back to my QB... I wondered what the hell you were doing in our game. Makes sense now. Personally, I hate the zoomed out view, so I never would have thought about purposefully setting it up.

morsdraconis
05-15-2010, 12:38 AM
I REALLY like the old wide view from the last gen games. I hope they bring that one back (basically the view you see when dropping back at QB).

Jayrah
05-16-2010, 07:34 AM
I would like to see some innovative camera caps. The 2 I would think would be cool would be:

1: Special teams (FG only I think) split screen camera. So I could see the kicker react to the kick. Of course the kicker celebrations would need to be updated for this to make sense to me. I also liked what Madden 09 had (can't remember if 10 had it) on FG's/XP's just different cameras from in front and behind the goalposts. Made it real difficult to try and block a kick though.

2: On Turnovers, camera just pan out a little, and allow the play to play out backwards. Gives a different perspective (from the 'dynamic defensive' camera last year), without flipping the angle. This is a better use of the feature in 2 main areas.

First, there will be NO wr's to worry about behind the play, it's just all coming back at you with the one ball carrier to pick up. In this case panning the camera out instead of towards the play allows the user to pick up multiple players, instead of finding them one by one as they enter the screen.

Second it would give a broadcast feel from the current camera system. When you're watching a turnover on tv, the ball is just suddenly going the other way. The camera doesn't flip or rotate. So "BAM", now the ball's coming back at you. But you don't have to find it now. It adds dimension to the return.

Deuce
05-16-2010, 09:04 AM
I don't think I've ever used an alt. camera view. I wonder why its so hard for EA to put in different camera views? Is it just low priority or are alt. camera views just too expensive? (budget wise)

Rudy
05-16-2010, 12:32 PM
I think it takes time to implement other camera but they do have different angles for replays. The big problem is the effect on frame rate. They had a hard time going to 60 fps and things have to be tuned properly just to get that to hold up. This is the first year they have gotten the numbers on Bama's helmets to show up due to this issue.

Jayrah
05-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Haha, that's why I came up with an option from a camera already in the game. :) Tell me something, the camera for 11 is slightly different from 10, I can't tell what the difference is though. Everyone seems to like it. Is it zoomed out a little or higher, or what?

Rudy
05-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Bumble from OS said it's a cross between NCAA 09 and NCAA 06 athough it's impossible to tell from those videos. He said the old camera is back but I think he was mistaken. Nothing has been talked about regarding camera angles. Adam Thompson did hint last year that they were looking at doing something about that this year (like bring back the NCAA 09 angle which I would love).

cdj
05-16-2010, 06:19 PM
It's tough for me to say much on the camera angle as I was in the group that didn't mind the NCAA 10 camera or previous editions before it. It did feel like this new camera swiveled less than the '10 camera and that seemed to be where the complaints came in from those who didn't like it.

I was under the impression that it is tough for them to have the camera go out really far (ex: blimp cam) as the further out they go, the more moving characters on screen the game has to process which threatens the 60 FPS standard Rudy mentioned. That may not be right, but is what I think is going on. They could add in those angles, but it takes more work than just panning out the shot.

Rudy
05-16-2010, 06:26 PM
It's tough for me to say much on the camera angle as I was in the group that didn't mind the NCAA 10 camera or previous editions before it. It did feel like this new camera swiveled less than the '10 camera and that seemed to be where the complaints came in from those who didn't like it.

The swivel did bug me and I'm glad to hear it's less. I didn't like that the angle was lower making it harder to see downfield. This also made it hard to defend passes downfield. From some of the videos, the slower pass speed seems to help that as the camera zooms in more on plays down the field. Can you comment at all on how the camera zooms down the field and the speed of the passes?

Rudy
06-27-2010, 08:28 AM
I wanted to really illustrate why I hated the NCAA 10 camera angle. That's mainly due to the low angle on plays. I didn't like the "rocking" or panning of the camera while playing but screenshots can't really capture that. But you can certainly see the difference in the vertical angle.

Here are the pre-play camera angles of the games between NCAA 09 through 11. The biggest difference in NCAA 11 is that you can see a wider view of the field than previously. Overall I think the NCAA 11 camera may be the best one yet. I still believe we need more options as gamers. Since the PS3 has a ton of disc space, give us exclusive content and a ton of camera angles if the 360 is too restrictive! ;)

I'll illustrate the more important gameplay camera in the next post.

PREPLAY CAMERA ANGLES

NCAA 09

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/rudyjuly2/NCAA%2011/preplayncaa09.jpg

NCAA 10

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/rudyjuly2/NCAA%2011/preplayncaa10.jpg

NCAA 11

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/rudyjuly2/NCAA%2011/preplayncaa11.jpg

Rudy
06-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Now the crucial "in play" camera angles. I greatly preferred 09 over 10 because I could see downfield better. NCAA 11 looks the best because of the vertical spacing. I used to even play with the blimp camera on Madden for the PS1 so I like the zoomed out look. NCAA 10 is lousy at indicating the vertical spacing imo.

DURING PLAY CAMERA ANGLES (tried to capture the pic as soon as the QB finished his drop back or right after)

NCAA 09

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/rudyjuly2/NCAA%2011/duringplayncaa09.jpg

NCAA 10 (2 pics - one is even a screencap from a Gaming Tailgate NCAA 10 video)

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/rudyjuly2/NCAA%2011/duringplayncaa10c.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/rudyjuly2/NCAA%2011/duirngplayncaa10.jpg

NCAA 11

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/rudyjuly2/NCAA%2011/duringplayncaa11.jpg

morsdraconis
06-27-2010, 09:07 AM
I REALLY like the camera for '11. And I'm with you on playing with the widest possible camera angles in football games. I used to use the wide camera or whatever it was called from the PS2 days of NCAA as well because it was like seeing the plays as you would on game film.

Rudy
06-28-2010, 05:15 AM
From some videos I've seen, it looks like Madden kept the same low angle for the main camera. I wonder if they tweaked any of their other camera angles?

psusnoop
06-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Rudy, thanks for showing those pictures . I do wish like everyone else though that EA would give us the options for more.