PDA

View Full Version : Forum Feedback - August 2010

cdj
08-01-2010, 10:29 PM
We'll have a new one each month, open for all to give feedback.

If we missed something in the previous month's thread, post again here. Feedback can be anything, ranging from smilies to new content idea, etc. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post an idea publicly.

I OU a Beatn
08-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm probably alone, but I would LOVE to have a skin similar to the one we have now, but instead have the blue portion be red and the background an off white. If anyone ever visited MaddeMania before it went down, that's what I'm talking about. I doubt I'd be able to find a screen shot, so I'm not even going to look. I never posted there, but damn did they have a nice skin. The blue hurts my eyes.

cdj
08-07-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm probably alone, but I would LOVE to have a skin similar to the one we have now, but instead have the blue portion be red and the background an off white. If anyone ever visited MaddeMania before it went down, that's what I'm talking about. I doubt I'd be able to find a screen shot, so I'm not even going to look. I never posted there, but damn did they have a nice skin. The blue hurts my eyes.

I have no problem adding more skin options for users. I'll see if we can't do that as an option. There is a lot of blue, you won't get an argument there. :)

I OU a Beatn
08-07-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't even have a problem with the blue. I love how the site looks as it is, but I would love it even more if it has a similar theme to the one MM had. I can't even really remember what it looked like, but I remember it had off white, red, and it was sexxyyy. :D

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 08:33 PM
So I just figured out that the Mobile skin doesn't get set by default on my phone. I tried to use the Quick Style chooser, but it doesn't auto re-fresh, and doesn't get set.

Any idea how I could set the Style without logging in?

ebin
08-07-2010, 11:51 PM
If anyone ever visited MaddeMania before it went down

Ah, good old MaddenMania. That name brings back some memories. I'd be down for a red skin myself. :)

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Hit up BigBlue. He is the skin maker, after all.

I OU a Beatn
08-08-2010, 12:19 AM
I really wish I could get a print screen image of the old MM skin. It definitely was sexy as hell. Unfortunately I couldn't find one. :(

I would love whoever if they made a similar skin, though. Seriously.

JeffHCross
08-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Unfortunately, all you get is the vBulletin log-in box: http://web.archive.org/web/20060515202924/www.maddenmania.com/forums/

I OU a Beatn
08-08-2010, 12:52 AM
That should be fairly good to go on. Red borders with gray background and off white background where the post text goes. Gray post bit. Mmmm.

CLW
08-08-2010, 04:06 PM
I hate to be a nag, but what is the word on enabling HTML?

JeffHCross
08-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I hate to be a nag, but what is the word on enabling HTML?For what?

Enabling HTML in posts on forums is usually considered a massive security risk.

gschwendt
08-09-2010, 10:11 AM

For what?

As Jeff mentioned, it really does cause more security concerns than we are comfortable with. I did check with Steve_OS on how they handle it and apparently they do have it more open than the vast majority of sites, however they have a programmer on retainer that they feel has developed a secure method for handling it. But... he mentioned that they still have ran into problems with it. With that said, we won't be opening up HTML... but if there is anything particular that you can't do (other than copying & pasting the OS dynasty generator text), let us know and hopefully we can find a BBCode replacement.

As well, I've added some "smilies" for use in Dynasty reports and the like.

[1star][1star]
[2star][2star]
[3star][3star]
[4star][4star]
[5star][5star]
[6star][6star]

You can also access them by clicking on the [More] link under the smilies and then scrolling to the bottom. Let us know if you want anything similar to these.

morsdraconis
08-09-2010, 12:53 PM
:thumbsup (which needs to be added as well as :thumbsdown )

Thanks for the star smilies. Always helpful with dynasty reports.

gschwendt
08-09-2010, 01:09 PM

:thumbsup (which needs to be added as well as :thumbsdown )
How about these?
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

morsdraconis
08-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Awesome man!

Appreciate it.

CLW
08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
For what?

As Jeff mentioned, it really does cause more security concerns than we are comfortable with. I did check with Steve_OS on how they handle it and apparently they do have it more open than the vast majority of sites, however they have a programmer on retainer that they feel has developed a secure method for handling it. But... he mentioned that they still have ran into problems with it. With that said, we won't be opening up HTML... but if there is anything particular that you can't do (other than copying & pasting the OS dynasty generator text), let us know and hopefully we can find a BBCode replacement.

As well, I've added some "smilies" for use in Dynasty reports and the like.

[1star][1star]
[2star][2star]
[3star][3star]
[4star][4star]
[5star][5star]
[6star][6star]

You can also access them by clicking on the [More] link under the smilies and then scrolling to the bottom. Let us know if you want anything similar to these.

Yeah I mostly wanted HTML for the OS dynasty box score generator for my dynasty. I knew there were some sort of security risk with enabling it but wasn't sure about how big of a risk it was and how OS and other sites are protecting themselves from that issue.

JeffHCross
08-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah I mostly wanted HTML for the OS dynasty box score generator for my dynasty. I knew there were some sort of security risk with enabling it but wasn't sure about how big of a risk it was and how OS and other sites are protecting themselves from that issue.CLW, send me a PM with the link to the box score generator, and I'll take a look to see if there's anything we could do.

JeffHCross
08-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I think it would be good to consider closing the current Impressions thread and opening a new one for Post Patch. Just to keep the feedback separate.

May not work, but worth considering.

gschwendt
08-12-2010, 07:27 PM
[espnu150][espnu150]

jaymo76
08-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Just a thought but with the growth of the site it might be a good ideas to seperate OTHER VIDEO GAMES in the FORUMS SECTION for a few specific ones. Personally I would add MADDEN FOOTBALL, NHL, and BASKETBALL: Three seperate sports gaming forums, set up just like the Tiger Golf forum. Then, any game outside of NCAA Football, Tiger golf, Madden, NHL, and NBA would go in the generic video games discussion forum. Just my .02c

morsdraconis
08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Just a thought but with the growth of the site it might be a good ideas to seperate OTHER VIDEO GAMES in the FORUMS SECTION for a few specific ones. Personally I would add MADDEN FOOTBALL, NHL, and BASKETBALL: Three seperate sports gaming forums, set up just like the Tiger Golf forum. Then, any game outside of NCAA Football, Tiger golf, Madden, NHL, and NBA would go in the generic video games discussion forum. Just my .02c

I agree. I think that's an excellent idea.

cdj
08-12-2010, 10:45 PM
We've thought about that, jaymo. Not opposed at all, but we want to make sure we don't have too many sub-forums and that they get enough use out of them. I'm glad to see that some of you like the idea, that helps us out.

JeffHCross
08-12-2010, 11:00 PM
The big difference with Tiger is that you have the TGA keeping it active. As of yet, I don't see enough activity around the other EA Sports games to warrant it.

SmoothPancakes
08-12-2010, 11:19 PM
The big difference with Tiger is that you have the TGA keeping it active. As of yet, I don't see enough activity around the other EA Sports games to warrant it.

That Jeff was my EXACT thought. We have the TGA to keep activity high in the Tiger forums. And while I would love to see a separate forum for NHL, NBA etc (it would make talking about different things in NHL 11 for those of us who will get it easier for example), but will we have ENOUGH people commenting, posting, and discussing in those forums to make them worthwhile?

If only 5-10 people of those here on the forum end up buying those individual games and we have like 3 threads with 5 replies, creating completely separate forums for those games would be a bit overkill. Then again, if a bunch of people buy it and we're sitting here with the potential for a dozen or two dozen different threads on that one game and regular discussion, then absolutely, I think a new forum solely for that game would be worth it.

Kingpin32
08-12-2010, 11:21 PM
I think that the individual game threads would be enough for those games. After the initial surge from the release of the games, I think the subforums would then just be a waste of space, or only have 3 or 4 people posting in it.

I OU a Beatn
08-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I'd say Madden deserves it's own section. It's easily the most popular EA Sports game. I don't know about Elite or NHL yet, but I definitely think Madden should have it's own sub forum.

jaymo76
08-12-2010, 11:58 PM
I'd say Madden deserves it's own section. It's easily the most popular EA Sports game. I don't know about Elite or NHL yet, but I definitely think Madden should have it's own sub forum.
Okay how about this idea then. You create TWO new forums:

1. Madden talk (or football talk if you wish to include threads on backbreaker, 2k5, APF 2K8, etc)
2. Sports video games talk (NHL, NBA, SOCCER)

Madden has 17 pages in it's main thread, has win Madden contest one (which I won! LOL), Madden contest two, Madden contest three, an ESPN and Madden thread, and a Madden NFL information thread. Backbreaker has eleven pages of discussion. I think it would make a lot of sense to give Madden its own forum as it would be used a lot because most of us who play NCAA also play Madden. Who knows, maybe JB, CDJ or whoever may want to start some Madden 12 podcasts for next year??? This would be a forum that would help grow the site IMO.

As for the other sports forum it would be good for finding/posting on specific info. The good thing is that it would all be in one central location. As it is now you have everything from Halo on Atari to Duke Nukem to FIFA and it makes for a cluttered board. For me I'm 90% sports games, 5% sim, and 5% other so that's how my brain processes things.

Great discussion guys.

SmoothPancakes
08-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Okay how about this idea then. You create TWO new forums:

1. Madden talk (or football talk if you wish to include threads on backbreaker, 2k5, APF 2K8, etc)
2. Sports video games talk (NHL, NBA, SOCCER)

Madden has 17 pages in it's main thread, has win Madden contest one (which I won! LOL), Madden contest two, Madden contest three, an ESPN and Madden thread, and a Madden NFL information thread. Backbreaker has eleven pages of discussion. I think it would make a lot of sense to give Madden its own forum as it would be used a lot because most of us who play NCAA also play Madden. Who knows, maybe JB, CDJ or whoever may want to start some Madden 12 podcasts for next year??? This would be a forum that would help grow the site IMO.

As for the other sports forum it would be good for finding/posting on specific info. The good thing is that it would all be in one central location. As it is now you have everything from Halo on Atari to Duke Nukem to FIFA and it makes for a cluttered board. For me I'm 90% sports games, 5% sim, and 5% other so that's how my brain processes things.

Great discussion guys.

That would work. I think there is definitely enough Madden interest on this forum that a separate Madden forum would stay active enough and have enough threads and discussions to warrant a separate forum for it. And in the end, the mods could always spin off other forums if needed in the future. If NHL 11 or FIFA 11 or something ends up being such a hit that half the forum buys it and we have a bunch of discussions regarding it, or even a TGA type group of people creating leagues/groups online in some of these games, a special forum just for it could be whipped up at a moment's notice if needed. Otherwise, just a simple Sports VG forum would work for those games.

As well, I do like that idea of having the separate forum for sports games. There are so many different sports games getting talked about (NHL 11, FIFA 11, NBA 2k11, NBA Elite 11, UFC Undisputed 2010, MLB 2k10, The Show, even Backbreaker) that a separate forum from just regular various genre games would work great in my opinion. A multitude of different sports games are put out every year, whereas while not every single regular/random genre game gets talked about, a good amount of various genre games have discussions taking place. As we are a sports-based video game forum, granted NCAA Football more so than any other sport, but still essentially a sports based video game forum, having a separate forum solely for sports video game discussions makes perfect sense to me.

As well, it wouldn't be like we're adding a dozen additional forums for each and every game. With your idea, there would only be 2 additional forums add (Madden, Sports video games) so cdj's comment/concern regarding adding a bunch of additional sub-forums wouldn't be as big a concern as we would only be adding 2 additional sub-forums.

I OU a Beatn
08-13-2010, 07:00 AM
I'd say once the site grows then go ahead and give each game it's own subforum if there's a demand for it. As it is now, there's like 50 of us who post on a regular basis, so there really isn't much need.

oweb26
08-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Question why does the RSS feeds not update on a regular basis? Its like it chooses what it wants to upload or not instead of uploading everything in the particular forum.

gschwendt
08-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Added image alignment bbcode option.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab14/thegamingtailgate/sitegraphics/grill75.pngLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque at felis quis lorem varius venenatis. Maecenas id orci in risus vulputate dictum ac id est. Phasellus iaculis pretium dolor id feugiat. Pellentesque dictum massa eu ante egestas nec rhoncus libero ullamcorper. Curabitur lacus dolor, euismod vel vulputate sed, blandit ut orci. Suspendisse at tellus mi, in ultrices risus. Suspendisse egestas tempor mi eu pulvinar. Quisque eu commodo mauris. Integer mauris tellus, suscipit at ultricies at, blandit a velit. Pellentesque sed nisi ut elit molestie egestas ut quis urna. Donec non enim et leo laoreet tempor eu a augue. Duis hendrerit.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab14/thegamingtailgate/sitegraphics/grill75.png

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab14/thegamingtailgate/sitegraphics/grill75.pngLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque at felis quis lorem varius venenatis. Maecenas id orci in risus vulputate dictum ac id est. Phasellus iaculis pretium dolor id feugiat. Pellentesque dictum massa eu ante egestas nec rhoncus libero ullamcorper. Curabitur lacus dolor, euismod vel vulputate sed, blandit ut orci. Suspendisse at tellus mi, in ultrices risus. Suspendisse egestas tempor mi eu pulvinar. Quisque eu commodo mauris. Integer mauris tellus, suscipit at ultricies at, blandit a velit. Pellentesque sed nisi ut elit molestie egestas ut quis urna. Donec non enim et leo laoreet tempor eu a augue. Duis hendrerit.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab14/thegamingtailgate/sitegraphics/grill75.png

SmoothPancakes
08-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Awesome addition to see! :thumbsup: Two thumbs up! :thumbsup:

CLW
08-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Nice stuff guys. I wish I hadn't started with my Duke Dynasty (at another site) using the OS HTML. :smh:

JeffHCross
08-14-2010, 09:30 AM
I'd say Madden deserves it's own section. It's easily the most popular EA Sports game.Yeah, but ... how many people here are playing it? Not more than a handful, that I've seen.

I OU a Beatn
08-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't know, but I do know it's easily the most popular EA Sports game and there's not a close second. I was speaking more of when the site starts getting more members rather than now. Having a sub forum dedicated to Madden and only Madden might even attract the Madden players. Who knows?

Iron Dragon
08-14-2010, 10:34 AM
I think we could use a Madden forum, but it's not necessary.

OT: I have the most viewed thread on the board, where is my medal?

JeffHCross
08-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't know, but I do know it's easily the most popular EA Sports game and there's not a close second. I was speaking more of when the site starts getting more members rather than now. Having a sub forum dedicated to Madden and only Madden might even attract the Madden players. Who knows?Based on past experience on other sites ... namely Madden Planet and Utopia ... having a sub-forum dedicated to a game that's not the primary focus of your site does not attract members. Madden Planet's NCAA membership was always low, and is now nil. Utopia had significantly more interest when MaddenHQ was a dedicated site (with its own dedicated forum), as opposed to the new redirect to the Utopia subforum.

By and large, subforums do not attract new members, in my opinion.

I OU a Beatn
08-14-2010, 01:25 PM
MaddenHQ wasn't hardly promoted at all. I'd gamble to say that over half the members that visit Utopia on a regular basis don't play either NCAA or Madden. If it was properly promoted, advertised, and given enough time to grow, any site could attract members. The install base for Madden is well above 5,000,000 I'm sure, so there's definitely some interest there. Again, there's no point in it now since most of the members don't play it, but it wouldn't hurt if Madden players were browsing and happened to find us.

JeffHCross
08-14-2010, 08:24 PM
MaddenHQ wasn't hardly promoted at all.I think you misread me.

If MaddenHQ was 'hardly promoted', the majority of the userbase would have been Utopia members, yes? They weren't. Or, if they were, it was pretty darn close. In my first visit to MaddenHQ I saw a lot of people that I'd never see post on Utopia.

By the same token, Utopia's membership has grown away from NCAA. While "over half" of the members probably no longer play NCAA, I'd venture to guess that all but a handful of them did at one point.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but in my experience a sub-forum cannot grow members. We'd have to shift the site to have a dual Madden/NCAA focus in order to grow a Madden membership.

I OU a Beatn
08-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Which wouldn't be hard to do. The name of the site doesn't single out one game, so it wouldn't be hard to promote the site as being an all EA Sports titles instead of mainly NCAA.

Flav
08-15-2010, 01:07 PM
For the people that want the HTML code enabled I have a solution. Go on OS and input all the data, then once you get the HTML code instead of copying the code you can just do a print screen, and then crop the image so it is just the table. Therfore it will be an image that you can insert :)

cdj
08-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Added Team Logos to the smilies. Will work great for Dynasty Reports and also college football discussion.

:Virginia_Tech: vs. :Boise_State:

steelerfan
08-15-2010, 02:29 PM
:Penn_State:

:))

Flav
08-15-2010, 02:49 PM
You should see if you can find a vs. image for a smilie :)

:Michigan: ;)

cdj
08-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Nice idea, BB.

Also, great discussion on game forums/subforums. We definitely want to grow other game discussion (especially all sports titles), but we're brainstorming ways to do so with adding sub-forums being a secondary option. Keep the ideas and discussion flowing.

I OU a Beatn
08-15-2010, 03:59 PM
For the record, I don't like sub forums either. Makes things appear way too cluttered.

cdj
08-15-2010, 04:03 PM
For the record, I don't like sub forums either. Makes things appear way too cluttered.

Agreed and along with that, we want to make sure any new forums will have a decent amount of traffic to avoid the place looking like an empty mansion. :P Though, there's a point to be made that maybe having a forum/sub-forum would bring in people as well. Though, we've always said that we want the site to be the best it can no matter if there's 5 people or 5,000 posting. We aren't looking to make money off of hits or traffic; just provide an open forum for thoughts and great content.

steelerfan
08-15-2010, 06:29 PM
IMHO, if this site caters to those who don't play NCAA, it might end up like other sites that cater to those who don't play NCAA and call themselves NCAA sites. I know a lot of us (myself included) play a lot of other titles, but NCAA should remain a nearly exclusive focus to keep things from getting watered down.

If traffic and such is your motive, sell out and add a Halo sub forum or a World of Nerdcraft one. If not, stick to what you do best.

I'd like to discuss NCAA with guys who play it instead of arguing with guys who don't.

Just my opinion.

cdj
08-15-2010, 06:36 PM
I agree with you there, steelerfan. I probably wasn't clear in my post above. NCAA is the main hub and focus of the site, but we realize that most people play some at least one other sports game heavily, if not several. That's why you see us post a lot of news on the other sports titles, but they won't take over. Though, maybe if we can do something unique, we may do a podcast talking about another game (and will probably tie it back to NCAA in some fashion) and may have gaming nights for other titles. We won't say we're an NCAA site and then get upset when people want to talk about it and we aren't looking for traffic just to make money. We've talked of adding in very minimal ads to help with giveaways/server expense, but we're not in a hurry even for that. We have zero ads and it wouldn't bother me if we never added any.

steelerfan
08-15-2010, 09:18 PM
I know where you're coming from, cdj. You and I have discussed your collective vision before and I am on board with what you guys are doing. I wasn't fishing for a response, I was just saying what I think. I absolutely know it's not a money thing, I hope my tongue-in-cheek references to selling out didn't feel hostile. I was speaking more to the group than to the leaders.

I have no issue with anything being discussed here. I trust you guys will make good decisions and continue to provide the best NCAA forum on the net!

ebin
08-16-2010, 01:18 AM
I'd like to discuss NCAA with guys who play it instead of arguing with guys who don't.

This pretty much sums things up from my perspective. TGT's emphasis on the NCAA series really sets it apart from other sports gaming sites, IMO.

We've talked of adding in very minimal ads to help with giveaways/server expense, but we're not in a hurry even for that. We have zero ads and it wouldn't bother me if we never added any.

I can understand the reasoning, and don't pretend to know what your server expenses are, but I'd much rather see the site continue to be member supported, and I'd be happy to donate more regularly than once every two two years to see that happen.

CLW
08-16-2010, 09:33 AM
For the people that want the HTML code enabled I have a solution. Go on OS and input all the data, then once you get the HTML code instead of copying the code you can just do a print screen, and then crop the image so it is just the table. Therfore it will be an image that you can insert :)

Can the same thing be done if I have allready copy/pasted the HTML code at another forum site?

I.e. Can I go to the other site where I am currently posting the dynasty and do the print screen/crop image and then upload to say photobucket and then insert here?

gschwendt
08-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Can the same thing be done if I have allready copy/pasted the HTML code at another forum site?

I.e. Can I go to the other site where I am currently posting the dynasty and do the print screen/crop image and then upload to say photobucket and then insert here?
That should work just fine.

CLW
08-16-2010, 12:01 PM
That should work just fine.

Lovely. Looks like I've got some work to do....

HuskerBlitz
08-16-2010, 05:19 PM
:Nebraska:

Just had to test that. :nod:

morsdraconis
08-16-2010, 06:48 PM
:West_Virginia:

:nod:

SmoothPancakes
08-16-2010, 10:29 PM
:Navy:

Best damn looking logo on this forum. :)

Granted I'm just a tad bit biased. ;)

jaymo76
08-17-2010, 01:19 AM
:Arizona_State:

Okay, so I have my Sun Devil... but where's the Reese Peanut Butter Cup to go along with it? After all, it's the perfect combination of peanut butter and chocolate... lol

CLW
08-17-2010, 07:00 AM
:Duke:

:nod:

skipwondah33
08-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Gotta admit this is the first time I've really seen icons like this on any of the boards I ventured too.

Pretty sick fellas, I've been wanting forever to be able to post :ps3cir:, :ps3tri:, etc

cdj
08-17-2010, 10:58 AM
We also added "My School" under the user info on the left side of posts. In addition, our CMS News Articles now have a share feature where we (and the community) can share the article on any and every social media site on the web.

cdj
08-18-2010, 09:18 PM
:Arizona_State:

Okay, so I have my Sun Devil... but where's the Reese Peanut Butter Cup to go along with it? After all, it's the perfect combination of peanut butter and chocolate... lol

:reeses: Only because I'm a smart aleck.

steelerfan
08-18-2010, 10:08 PM

I'm allergic to chocolate and peanuts. :smh:

jaymo76
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM

Nice!

JeffHCross
08-28-2010, 01:44 AM
JBHuskers Administrator 2,374
JeffHCross Donator 1,454
cdj Administrator 1,444
gschwendt Administrator 948

Sad ... and not at all surprising.

morsdraconis
08-28-2010, 01:49 AM
You guys are sick....

JBHuskers Administrator 2,374
JeffHCross Donator 1,454
cdj Administrator 1,444
gschwendt Administrator 948
morsdraconis Donator 851

Rudy
08-28-2010, 06:31 AM
I do agree that NCAA Football should definitely stay the main focus. And I also agree that we don't want too many subforums. That's the one thing that annoyed me with Utopia at times. Quite frankly I think we should group the "News and Announcements" and "General Discussion" subforums together. There can be a lot of overlap between the two areas. If it's a "News" topic, like new info on a patch release, then just put it on the front page and sticky it in the grouped forum. Just my two cents on that.

Now I have to play with these new emoticons. :)

:ps3cir::Michigan::Miami:

JeffHCross
08-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't, off-hand, agree with combining the News and General Discussion forums, but it's certainly something that can be looked at for next year's release cycle. With the integration of the front page, there's a lot more flexibility for news items to be made from threads, and vice versa.