PDA

View Full Version : 4-2-5 discussion and specialized recruiting

amoore0192
07-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Hey guys, Im a long time reader here and long time member over at OS who decided to make the jump over here. I love talking Xs and Os as I am a current high school coach entering my second season. Just wanted to get your alls ideas and feedback on my system and style of play. Any tips on how you would stop/attack my systems would be great as it will help me get better as a player and play caller.

Defensivly I run what I call a Spur 40. Its a 40 front with strung run stoppers across the line, most dont get under 250 and I like both DTs as 300+ guys However, in a perfect situation I like using a pass rushing OLB as a RE. I call him a Leo and Hes also used as a ILB in my #$ look if he has the abilities. This player isnt a need but more of an asset. The ILB are closer to 3-4 ILBs than 4-3 Mikes. I like big backers who can play decent zone coverage but are more for playing between the tackles and downhill against the run. The FS has to be one of the best players on the field, I usually user control this player. In pass I play a lot of cvr3 or inverted2 when Im not in man. In most cases when running inverted2 I use the F to rob the strong side rt if anything comes inside, if not I just sink with #2 going deep. His run responsibilities are to run the alley, off the Spurs hip cleaning up any sweeps or anything that has broken containment. The Spurs are kind of hybrin S/LBs, they need to be able to cover adiquetly but also hold the edge against the run. Theyre assigned to the pitch man against option teams, the DE crashes on the QB while the DT/ILBs handle the FB. Theyre kind of tough to find in recruiting so I usually end up with one whos more of a S and one whos a better run stopper. The CBs are just asked to lock down the WR, run support isnt a priority at this position.

As far as a base look:
------------------------F
--C---------------------------------------------C
-----------------B------------B
------S----------------------------------S
------------L------T-------T-------E

3-4 look:
-----------------S---------------F
----C---------------------------------------C
----------B------L-------B---------S
-------------T--------T-------E

4-3 look:
----------------S----------F
----C-------------------------------------C
------------B---------M----------S
-----------L-----T------T-----E

I like using under and over sets to move my rolled up Spur a little out of the box to try and keep some of the lineman off him.

One offense I use what I call a Heavy Spread playbook (I plan on uploading it onto Onebacks site when he gets it going), most of my formations are from the gun but I have a few pistol sets sprinkled in for more of a downhill running game. I like using motion options but Im not a big zone running guy. When im not using the read, which is a big part of my offense, I run a ton of counter and buck sweeps. Pass plays are mostly combonation based, such as curl flats, trail out, post corner, and curl wheel.

Personel wise, I like to have a big athletic QB (Logan Thomas type) who is a good ball carrier. At RB I like balanced guys with a good mix of agility and acceleration. Break away speed is nice, but not really essintial. As far as outside WR I like big athletic playmakers who can catch the ball well in traffic, mainly just to move the chains. The SB (slotbacks) are the homerun threats in my offense, small quiack and explosive theyre mainly used as the pitch man on triple options, wether its by linning up in the back field or motioning from the slot. They also need to be able to take the top off of a defense.

Tempo is big in my game, I like to push the pace after a turnover or if I feel I have a team on the ropes. While I never huddle, unless using Gun Heavy, or Wildcat formations, I dont always go at a Nascar pace. Ive made my playbook where 90% of the formations have the same personel groups so I can give multiple formations without huddling and using allignment as a huge advantage. Running a counter or buck play to the TE only side in a trips set is a big staple of my offense. I just dont think a DB can take on a pulling lineman and in many cases, especially in 14 this hoods true.

Theres some of my offensive philosophy, as I said I'll post the entire PB over on Onebacks site in the next week for further discussion. What do you guys think and how would you try and stop my wide open power spread?

steelerfan
07-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Am I missing something?

I read your post and I have no idea how it relates to the thread title. :dunno:

Anyway, welcome to TGT. :)

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.

RussellW65
07-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Am I missing something?

I read your post and I have no idea how it relates to the thread title. :dunno:

Anyway, welcome to TGT. :)

I'm using Tapatalk 2 and the Cleveland Browns STILL suck.

glad I wasn't alone in thinking that

amoore0192
07-08-2013, 07:57 PM
glad I wasn't alone in thinking that

Yeah, I left out the 4-2-5 part by accident. My bad, I edited it and were good now. Got a little caught up in just talking football my bad fellas!

RussellW65
07-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I left out the 4-2-5 part by accident. My bad, I edited it and were good now. Got a little caught up in just talking football my bad fellas!

Hey no prob it happens
I love using the 4-2-5
What I like to do is:
DT--run stoppers
DE--pass rushers
LB--balanced
OLB-- big safeties
CB--man covers
S--balanced

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-08-2013, 10:40 PM
i don't know what's more confusing... the way you laid out the thread...

OR

how we are supposed to guess at stopping (at this point) a theoretical offensive attack that (again at this point) only exists in your head

and i am assuming you are talking about 250-300lb guys on the line in the game, because no high school coach in America has a program that has that size across the board

amoore0192
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
i don't know what's more confusing... the way you laid out the thread...

OR

how we are supposed to guess at stopping (at this point) a theoretical offensive attack that (again at this point) only exists in your head

and i am assuming you are talking about 250-300lb guys on the line in the game, because no high school coach in America has a program that has that size across the board

Oh definitely in game...we can all dream of having dline man like that though haha.

Idk what's so confusing, I overload one side causing the defense to shift and pull lineman back across to lead for a running back. It's out of the shotgun so think trips left te right bucks weep right. I'm missing what's so confusing about that?

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Trio HB Weak - Bucksweep

it does well... what is confusing to me, is what you are asking... or presenting that is strategy

i mean, if you are asking what we would do to combat your scheme, i would just go cover 4 out of 3-4 base align everybody and control the CB to the TE side and walk him up forcing you to cut it up way early if its bucksweep, and if not i still have 3 deep vs any verticals you run... and 4 LB's on underneath coverage as well

i guess that is what you are looking for?

amoore0192
07-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Yeah man, I was just hoping to discuss strategy and adjustments with like minded players..and I was presenting my strategy and was just looking for discussion as to what you guys would do out of it or how you would adjust it. Basically just football talk is all I was hoping for.

IRISH
07-09-2013, 11:42 AM
One thing I wish the game allowed was being able to change a players position for specific plays not just specific formations. For example if I want to put my backup RB in the slot for just one or 2 plays instead of the entire formation. Same on defense. If I want my pass rushing OLB to go to DE to rush the passer I dont want to have to do it for every play in the formation. I would just like options like that