PDA

View Full Version : Spread option help

Bigbails35
06-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Hello everyone! I've browsed this site a time or two and decided I'd ask a few questions on the spread option. Last year I learned a good deal about the air raid from this site and others but now I'm looking for some tips or a guide to running an Oregon-esque offense for my 3-person OD. We don't usually play each other save for bowl games so I'm not particularly looking for advice against users though some may be helpful. Just anything useful to running this offense such as play calling, core plays, anything like that. I'm a Michigan State fan so I'm very much familiar with a pro style offense having watched it for the past few years, but Oregon games are usually on about 11o'clock where I live so I don't watch them much aside from highlight reels. I've been to sights like fishduck to learn the basics like inside and outside zone read but I'm having trouble really deciding when to use these plays, and more so I'm having trouble doing it with the no-huddle. I've been practicing with the demo but I'm having more bad games then good ones. Any help you guys have will be much appreciated!

PDuncanOSU
06-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Hello everyone! I've browsed this site a time or two and decided I'd ask a few questions on the spread option. Last year I learned a good deal about the air raid from this site and others but now I'm looking for some tips or a guide to running an Oregon-esque offense for my 3-person OD. We don't usually play each other save for bowl games so I'm not particularly looking for advice against users though some may be helpful. Just anything useful to running this offense such as play calling, core plays, anything like that. I'm a Michigan State fan so I'm very much familiar with a pro style offense having watched it for the past few years, but Oregon games are usually on about 11o'clock where I live so I don't watch them much aside from highlight reels. I've been to sights like fishduck to learn the basics like inside and outside zone read but I'm having trouble really deciding when to use these plays, and more so I'm having trouble doing it with the no-huddle. I've been practicing with the demo but I'm having more bad games then good ones. Any help you guys have will be much appreciated!

Check out the thread I started on the spread-option/spread-to-run offense (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?6965-Spread-to-Run-Spread-Option)

The biggest general piece of advice I can give is to count the defenders in "the box" and check how the defenders are aligned over each of your receivers. If you are running a 4 WR set then you will have 5 blockers + the QB read. If they have 6 defenders in the box (typically 4 lineman and 2 linebackers) you can have your line block 5 and then read the 6th defender. If they have more than 6 than you should pass.

The idea of the spread is to make them defend the entire width and length of the field so either run it or throw it where the defense is lightest.

Bigbails35
06-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks! Do you have any advice for running this kind of offense with the no-huddle? Or am I better off running this offense normally? It seems to me that most teams that go spread also go no huddle but I seem to really struggle when I try it.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-30-2013, 04:56 PM
counting the box works in real life, won't help you every time on this game... before any answers are given, do you play online vs random people? play online dynasty? or offline dynasty? because there are different answers for each

plus once the game releases you can settle into a custom playbook and can offer you help based off what you will run the most... no need in going in-depth with only demo play

as far as no huddle, again, that is once you settle into a playbook, and build your own system of attacking... similar to your air raid approach, but more along the lines of attacking the box... so all of that will be more relevant once the game drops and you settle into who you want to be as a player within the full game

to learn more about setting up a system to run, make sure to keep up with my ::LG3 stuff here:: (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?6971-LG3-Loaded-Gun-3) once the game releases... you don't have to run mine, but you can copy anything you like that i do

Escobar
06-30-2013, 05:44 PM
You can run no-huddle but not be in a hurry up. That is where some people get messed up in the game, they think they have to hurry up and pick a play when they no huddle. I run no huddle occasionally, usually when I have a play in mind that I want to run next. You can run complimentary plays in progression if you want. Such as running off tackle the first play, then read option the second play, then hb counter the third play. Just go with what you feel like running. It also helps to have many formations with the same personnel. So you can change formations and run/pass options just by changing the wr's alignment. Just develop what kind of identity you want your team to have and get personnel to fit that system. Such as power running inside, speed backs/hybrid receivers, or good pass catching/route running receivers.

Bigbails35
06-30-2013, 06:13 PM
counting the box works in real life, won't help you every time on this game... before any answers are given, do you play online vs random people? play online dynasty? or offline dynasty? because there are different answers for each

plus once the game releases you can settle into a custom playbook and can offer you help based off what you will run the most... no need in going in-depth with only demo play

as far as no huddle, again, that is once you settle into a playbook, and build your own system of attacking... similar to your air raid approach, but more along the lines of attacking the box... so all of that will be more relevant once the game drops and you settle into who you want to be as a player within the full game

to learn more about setting up a system to run, make sure to keep up with my ::LG3 stuff here:: (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?6971-LG3-Loaded-Gun-3) once the game releases... you don't have to run mine, but you can copy anything you like that i do

I mostly play offline dynasty and online with 3 friends but we all pick teams in different conferences so we don't usually play unless it's a bowl game. I know that when the game comes out it will be easier to create an offense that I like, but I am trying to get a little more prepared this year. I started learning air raid about midway through our OD and I had some ups and a lot of downs. I guess the main problem I have with no huddle is that I don't may much attention when watching a team that runs it and how they switch formations and what not.

PDuncanOSU
06-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks! Do you have any advice for running this kind of offense with the no-huddle? Or am I better off running this offense normally? It seems to me that most teams that go spread also go no huddle but I seem to really struggle when I try it.

As others have said, no-huddle doesn't necessarily mean you are in hurry-up. No huddle keeps the defense from substituting so you can force them to keep the same personnel on the field and try to exploit a mismatch you may have.
In real life, many teams that want to use a fast pace really simplify their playbook. The idea is to have a small amount of play that all work off of each other, keeping things simple for the offense while stressing the defense.

Here are a couple articles about how OSU is using the no-huddle under Urban Meyer and Tom Herman.
No Huddlin (http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/03/no-huddlin)
No Huddlin Cont' (http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/04/no-huddlin-contd)

Bigbails35
06-30-2013, 06:20 PM
You can run no-huddle but not be in a hurry up. That is where some people get messed up in the game, they think they have to hurry up and pick a play when they no huddle. I run no huddle occasionally, usually when I have a play in mind that I want to run next. You can run complimentary plays in progression if you want. Such as running off tackle the first play, then read option the second play, then hb counter the third play. Just go with what you feel like running. It also helps to have many formations with the same personnel. So you can change formations and run/pass options just by changing the wr's alignment. Just develop what kind of identity you want your team to have and get personnel to fit that system. Such as power running inside, speed backs/hybrid receivers, or good pass catching/route running receivers.

Yeah, I always tend to rush and do poorly when I no huddle and I think its because of what you said. I'm just looking to create some kind of offense that is more up-tempo and score quickly while being ground based since bad things happen when I try to throw quickly, outside of a 2 minute offense.

Bigbails35
06-30-2013, 06:29 PM
As others have said, no-huddle doesn't necessarily mean you are in hurry-up. No huddle keeps the defense from substituting so you can force them to keep the same personnel on the field and try to exploit a mismatch you may have.
In real life, many teams that want to use a fast pace really simplify their playbook. The idea is to have a small amount of play that all work off of each other, keeping things simple for the offense while stressing the defense.

Here are a couple articles about how OSU is using the no-huddle under Urban Meyer and Tom Herman.
No Huddlin (http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/03/no-huddlin)
No Huddlin Cont' (http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/04/no-huddlin-contd)

Thanks, very useful!

jello1717
06-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I was asked to write some stuff about the spread option for TSO and here's the unfiltered version of what I wrote (which I know is way too long and will have to be pared down for the TSO article). It's been spoilerized so as to not fill up the thread with a wall of text.

Heya TSO, Jello here and I've been asked to do a write up of the spread option offense in EA's NCAA football game. I've been using the spread option attack in EA's games for at least 5 releases now, including times when it was one of the least effective offenses in the game (I'm just stubborn like that). I'll give a brief overview of the scheme, some strategies for utilizing it in EA's game, some pros and cons of it, and how to recruit for it.

Introduction And General Scheme:
The spread option has taken the NCAA by storm during this past decade plus and several high profile teams run the spread option in real life, including some National Champions (Texas, Florida twice, and Auburn). EA has finally started to pay attention to this offense and with NCAA Football '13 and now '14 the spread option has gotten a lot of love and is now a very formidable offense. The main requirement that really makes this offense hum is an athletic QB that can hurt teams with his legs (just look at the Champs above as they had Vince Young, Tim Tebow, and Cam Newton).

This offense is run almost exclusively from the shotgun and, as the name implies, the spread option uses a lot of option plays. The basic concept of an option is to leave 1 or 2 defenders completely unblocked and then let the QB read the unblocked guy and make a decision on how to proceed based on what this guy does. If read correctly the read defender becomes a non factor and this frees up an O-lineman to either give a double team block at the point of attack or to get to the 2nd level to take a LB out of the play. Most of these options use a "mesh" which is where the QB will put the ball in the belly of the HB and hold it there while he reads the defensive guy. He will then either give the ball to the back if the D guy stays at home to play the QB or he'll pull the ball away from the HB and keep it himself if the D guy crashes down to tackle the HB. The other major type of option is a speed/motion/load type of option where a pitch guy (either the HB or WR) will run alongside and slightly behind the QB as they both run towards the sideline. The QB then reads an unblocked defender and if the defender goes after the QB, he'll pitch to the HB/WR or if the defender attacks the pitch man, then the QB will keep the ball and turn it up field. In NCAA '14, exactly which defender(s) you need to read in order to make the decision is spelled out for you with the new "read" and "pitch" key indicators. In the coach cam, the guy to read for a "mesh" type of option will have a yellow "R" above his head while a pitch key has a blue "P" above his head.

Basic Strategies:
While there are some double TE sets, the base set for this offense is usually 11 personnel (1RB,1TE,3WR) and they utilize a lot of 10 personnel too. The main intent of this is to spread the defense out with all of the WRs which can makes the D more vulnerable. I use a very basic strategy on offense which is basically "move the ball where the defense ain't." I always count the defenders in the box and if I have as many blockers in the box as they have defenders, I'm running the ball. If they have 1 more defender than I have blockers then I could either run an option or pass (remember, on an option play, 1 of those defenders will be taken out of the play if you make the correct read). If they have stack the box, I'll pass. Obviously there are exceptions to these rules, but that's the general gist. To take it further, on running plays, by smartly utilizing your run formation audible you can usually have the choice of running 2 different directions (left, right, or up the middle). I use this to "run where they ain't." IE. if I call a counter to the right and the D is shifted to the right, I can audible to a sweep and run to the left where the D is more vulnerable. If the D isn't shifted right, I can run my counter where the D is vulnerable.

For option plays, the great thing about NCAA '14 is that in addition to the traditional read option (and it's variant triple options involving a pitch man) and the speed/load option types, EA has added a ton of new options to the game. All of the previous options all read the same defender (the last guy on the LOS on the same side as the HB) which made it pretty easy for a user to shut down the read option by usering the read man. Now, with the addition of the midline option (which reads a DT) and the inverted veer (which reads the last guy on LOS on the opposite side of the HB) this will no longer be the case. In addition to having different read guys, you can keep the D off balance because your ball carrier can go different places. There are outside zone options where the ball carrier (HB or QB) will run off tackle, inside zone reads where the ball carrier will run between the tackles. With the new midline and inverted veer if the HB gets the ball he'll run off tackle, but if the QB keeps it he'll run right up the middle. In '14 lots of new options have been added that also have pulling linemen that can give you a lead blocker at the point of attack and these are some of my favorite options now. By utilizing all of the new options you can constantly keep the D guessing as to where you're running the ball.

With as great as options are, don't neglect designed runs as they can be a great complement to the option attack. There are some great formations that have a TE or FB lined up in the backfield that acts as a lead blocker for a more downhill rushing attack. Also look for formations with the HB slightly behind the QB (they usually have "offset" or "flex" in the name) as these are also nice for attacking the middle of a D. There are also some great designed QB runs (wraps, powers, and blasts) which usually use the HB as a lead blocker. You can also utilize your WRs in the ground attack with various designed WR runs and options to get them some carries. The various ways to attack a defense on the ground in this offense can be pretty staggering.

Another great tactic for a spread attack is to use misdirection to your advantage. There are several auto-motion plays which look like the play will be run one way, only to have it go another (which is obviously more effective against aggressive users than the CPU). There are formations which have a WR come in motion and the result of the play can be 1 of many different outcomes; handoff to the WR around the end, handoff to the HB up the middle, option to the left or right using the WR as a pitch man, PA pass, normal pass. This is a great way to keep the D guessing.

While I tend to be very run heavy, don't forget about the passing game. With as that many receivers always on the field, obviously the passing game can be a big part of the offense. If you've got the running game humming, the D will likely stack the box and that's when I tend to pass the ball. While I can go deep on occasion, I mainly stick with short, quick hitting passes. Screens can be very effective (since, with so many defenders in the box and their DBs spread out so far, there is lots of open space). There are several different types of WR screens (bubble, mid, and smoke screens can all be effective and there's even a smoke screen hot route available in '14). A big addition to '14 is that EA worked on the WR screen blocking which now allows WRs to block immediately on screen plays (which is legal in the NCAA) which makes screens more effective in '14. I also like bubble routes on normal passing plays (IE. "stick bubble" or "scat") where the other WRs all run routes instead of blocking. In '13 this was much more effective than designed bubble screens because instead of blocking (or in '13, waiting too long to block and letting your guy tackle the receiver) the other WRs run their defenders out of the play instead. As with any run heavy offense, utilizing the PA pass can be very effective for a spread option attack.

Most spread option teams utilize the no huddle and it can be a very effective tool. The no huddle is designed mainly for a couple of effects; 1. to keep the D from subbing guys out, 2. to tire out the D. In EA's game #1 is really effective when you catch the D in a favorable formation (IE. a base D against your 4 wide set, allowing you to pass easier or a dime against your 3 wide set, allowing you to run easier). This allows you to maintain this favorable matchup for several plays in a row. #2 will likely be even more effective in '14 than in '13 with the addition of their new fatigue system and coach skills. I strongly suggest getting the "Up Tempo" skill in your OC's 1st tier of skills. This will allow your players to stay on the field longer without getting tired and not every team you play against will have the corresponding DC skill so this will give you an advantage. The other advantage that you hold is that you know you'll run no huddle so you'll recruit depth on offense while the D probably won't be as deep. This will give you an advantage once both teams have their 2 deeps in the game on long drives. Just remember that EA's no huddle offense is faster than in real life so to stay SIM make sure you give the D time to setup. Also, to stay fair I generally huddle when I want to make substitutions, after a big loss, or when the clock stops (incomplete passes or I run out of bounds with less than 2 minutes left in the half).

Pros/Cons Of The Spread Option Offense:
Here are some general pros and cons about running the spread option.
PROS:
• Spreads the defense out, making them defend the entire field
• Spreading the D can really free up running lanes
• Plethora of ways to attack a defense which keeps the D guessing
• QB is always in the SG, keeping him away from the D-line which makes passing easier
CONS:
• QB will take a TON of punishment. This leaves him vulnerable to injuries and possibly fumbles.
• Your HB starts off to the side of the QB so it's difficult to get a downhill rushing attack since the HB is generally getting the ball from a stand still.
• Isn't nearly as effective without an athletic QB. Off the top of my head I can't think of another style of offense (except for the flexbone) that is as dependent upon the correct type of player at 1 position as the spread option is on an athletic QB.

Recruiting For The Spread Option:
Your #1 priority is to sign mobile QBs (plural because they are so crucial and so vulnerable). I prefer SPD to be 80+ and while I'd love a big arm, an accurate arm is more important (since there are so many short passes). However, my #2 priority with a QB is to have a high CAR rating (80+ if possible). Since your QB takes so many hits, one with low CAR will fumble a LOT. I personally never sign a QB that can't carry the ball. In '13 Athletes were the best place to find these QBs (in '13 I signed 12 "QBs" and they were all ATHs).

As a run-first guy, my O-line is always my #2 priority. I tend to recruit balanced and run blocking O-linemen and once I get an O-line full of studs I always notice my rushing numbers go up. I can't say how '14 will play out, but in both '12 and '13 my offense didn't become dominant until I had a dominant O-line.

Since there are several formations with multiple HBs, you want to be deep there, especially if you run the no huddle. Speed backs are nice as a home run hitter, but I prefer power backs and balanced guys. Guys that end up with 90+ TRK almost always fall forward for extra yards and often times can run over defenders. My time spent with the '14 demo shows that power backs will likely be even more effective.

For WRs, I like to have a couple fast guys and these are the ones that get the carries. They're also your home run threats in the passing game. Since there are so many short passes, you want WRs with sure hands too. I tend to stay away from possession WRs because their SPD never progresses but there are plenty of balanced WRs with good hands. Since you're running so many sets with a lot of WRs, you'll need to be deep here, again especially if you run no huddle.

You can go anyway you want with TEs. I prefer blocking TEs because for me, their main priority is to block, but some spread offenses utilize the TE in the passing game much more than I do so you'll have to decide what type of TE best fits your flavor of the spread. If you rarely use 2 TE sets, you don't need to be especially deep at TE. The FB almost never sees the field in this offense and should be your absolute last recruiting priority out of the 24 positions.

Below are my general depth guidelines when I recruit for this offense:
• 3-4 QBs
• 4-5 HBs
• 1-2 FBs
• 7 WRs
• 2-3 TEs
• 5 OTs
• 5 Gs
• 3 Cs

uagrad90
06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
The one thing I'll add is make sure you know your playbook backwards and forwards. Just like with the raid the spread option really excels when you know your playbook. Once the game drops goto practice mode and run a bunch of play now games and look at the replays to see how the different def formations react. Then you'll start recognizing the def and what to expect from them.

uagrad90
06-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Very nice write up Jello. I need to sit down and go over this several times.

Bigbails35
06-30-2013, 09:19 PM
I was asked to write some stuff about the spread option for TSO and here's the unfiltered version of what I wrote (which I know is way too long and will have to be pared down for the TSO article). It's been spoilerized so as to not fill up the thread with a wall of text.

Heya TSO, Jello here and I've been asked to do a write up of the spread option offense in EA's NCAA football game. I've been using the spread option attack in EA's games for at least 5 releases now, including times when it was one of the least effective offenses in the game (I'm just stubborn like that). I'll give a brief overview of the scheme, some strategies for utilizing it in EA's game, some pros and cons of it, and how to recruit for it.

The spread option has taken the NCAA by storm during this past decade plus and several high profile teams run the spread option in real life, including some National Champions (Texas, Florida twice, and Auburn). EA has finally started to pay attention to this offense and with NCAA Football '13 and now '14 the spread option has gotten a lot of love and is now a very formidable offense. The main requirement that really makes this offense hum is an athletic QB that can hurt teams with his legs (just look at the Champs above as they had Vince Young, Tim Tebow, and Cam Newton).

This offense is run almost exclusively from the shotgun and, as the name implies, the spread option uses a lot of option plays. The basic concept of an option is to leave 1 or 2 defenders completely unblocked and then let the QB read the unblocked guy and make a decision on how to proceed based on what this guy does. If read correctly the read defender becomes a non factor and this frees up an O-lineman to either give a double team block at the point of attack or to get to the 2nd level to take a LB out of the play. Most of these options use a "mesh" which is where the QB will put the ball in the belly of the HB and hold it there while he reads the defensive guy. He will then either give the ball to the back if the D guy stays at home to play the QB or he'll pull the ball away from the HB and keep it himself if the D guy crashes down to tackle the HB. The other major type of option is a speed/motion/load type of option where a pitch guy (either the HB or WR) will run alongside and slightly behind the QB as they both run towards the sideline. The QB then reads an unblocked defender and if the defender goes after the QB, he'll pitch to the HB/WR or if the defender attacks the pitch man, then the QB will keep the ball and turn it up field. In NCAA '14, exactly which defender(s) you need to read in order to make the decision is spelled out for you with the new "read" and "pitch" key indicators. In the coach cam, the guy to read for a "mesh" type of option will have a yellow "R" above his head while a pitch key has a blue "P" above his head.

Basic Strategies:
While there are some double TE sets, the base set for this offense is usually 11 personnel (1RB,1TE,3WR) and they utilize a lot of 10 personnel too. The main intent of this is to spread the defense out with all of the WRs which can makes the D more vulnerable. I use a very basic strategy on offense which is basically "move the ball where the defense ain't." I always count the defenders in the box and if I have as many blockers in the box as they have defenders, I'm running the ball. If they have 1 more defender than I have blockers then I could either run an option or pass (remember, on an option play, 1 of those defenders will be taken out of the play if you make the correct read). If they have stack the box, I'll pass. Obviously there are exceptions to these rules, but that's the general gist. To take it further, on running plays, by smartly utilizing your run formation audible you can usually have the choice of running 2 different directions (left, right, or up the middle). I use this to "run where they ain't." IE. if I call a counter to the right and the D is shifted to the right, I can audible to a sweep and run to the left where the D is more vulnerable. If the D isn't shifted right, I can run my counter where the D is vulnerable.

For option plays, the great thing about NCAA '14 is that in addition to the traditional read option (and it's variant triple options involving a pitch man) and the speed/load option types, EA has added a ton of new options to the game. All of the previous options all read the same defender (the last guy on the LOS on the same side as the HB) which made it pretty easy for a user to shut down the read option by usering the read man. Now, with the addition of the midline option (which reads a DT) and the inverted veer (which reads the last guy on LOS on the opposite side of the HB) this will no longer be the case. In addition to having different read guys, you can keep the D off balance because your ball carrier can go different places. There are outside zone options where the ball carrier (HB or QB) will run off tackle, inside zone reads where the ball carrier will run between the tackles. With the new midline and inverted veer if the HB gets the ball he'll run off tackle, but if the QB keeps it he'll run right up the middle. In '14 lots of new options have been added that also have pulling linemen that can give you a lead blocker at the point of attack and these are some of my favorite options now. By utilizing all of the new options you can constantly keep the D guessing as to where you're running the ball.

With as great as options are, don't neglect designed runs as they can be a great complement to the option attack. There are some great formations that have a TE or FB lined up in the backfield that acts as a lead blocker for a more downhill rushing attack. Also look for formations with the HB slightly behind the QB (they usually have "offset" or "flex" in the name) as these are also nice for attacking the middle of a D. There are also some great designed QB runs (wraps, powers, and blasts) which usually use the HB as a lead blocker. You can also utilize your WRs in the ground attack with various designed WR runs and options to get them some carries. The various ways to attack a defense on the ground in this offense can be pretty staggering.

Another great tactic for a spread attack is to use misdirection to your advantage. There are several auto-motion plays which look like the play will be run one way, only to have it go another (which is obviously more effective against aggressive users than the CPU). There are formations which have a WR come in motion and the result of the play can be 1 of many different outcomes; handoff to the WR around the end, handoff to the HB up the middle, option to the left or right using the WR as a pitch man, PA pass, normal pass. This is a great way to keep the D guessing.

While I tend to be very run heavy, don't forget about the passing game. With as that many receivers always on the field, obviously the passing game can be a big part of the offense. If you've got the running game humming, the D will likely stack the box and that's when I tend to pass the ball. While I can go deep on occasion, I mainly stick with short, quick hitting passes. Screens can be very effective (since, with so many defenders in the box and their DBs spread out so far, there is lots of open space). There are several different types of WR screens (bubble, mid, and smoke screens can all be effective and there's even a smoke screen hot route available in '14). A big addition to '14 is that EA worked on the WR screen blocking which now allows WRs to block immediately on screen plays (which is legal in the NCAA) which makes screens more effective in '14. I also like bubble routes on normal passing plays (IE. "stick bubble" or "scat") where the other WRs all run routes instead of blocking. In '13 this was much more effective than designed bubble screens because instead of blocking (or in '13, waiting too long to block and letting your guy tackle the receiver) the other WRs run their defenders out of the play instead. As with any run heavy offense, utilizing the PA pass can be very effective for a spread option attack.

Most spread option teams utilize the no huddle and it can be a very effective tool. The no huddle is designed mainly for a couple of effects; 1. to keep the D from subbing guys out, 2. to tire out the D. In EA's game #1 is really effective when you catch the D in a favorable formation (IE. a base D against your 4 wide set, allowing you to pass easier or a dime against your 3 wide set, allowing you to run easier). This allows you to maintain this favorable matchup for several plays in a row. #2 will likely be even more effective in '14 than in '13 with the addition of their new fatigue system and coach skills. I strongly suggest getting the "Up Tempo" skill in your OC's 1st tier of skills. This will allow your players to stay on the field longer without getting tired and not every team you play against will have the corresponding DC skill so this will give you an advantage. The other advantage that you hold is that you know you'll run no huddle so you'll recruit depth on offense while the D probably won't be as deep. This will give you an advantage once both teams have their 2 deeps in the game on long drives. Just remember that EA's no huddle offense is faster than in real life so to stay SIM make sure you give the D time to setup. Also, to stay fair I generally huddle when I want to make substitutions, after a big loss, or when the clock stops (incomplete passes or I run out of bounds with less than 2 minutes left in the half).

PROS:
• QB is always in the SG, keeping him away from the D-line which makes passing easier
CONS:
• QB will take a TON of punishment. This leaves him vulnerable to injuries and possibly fumbles.
• Your HB starts off to the side of the QB so it's difficult to get a downhill rushing attack since the HB is generally getting the ball from a stand still.
• Isn't nearly as effective without an athletic QB. Off the top of my head I can't think of another style of offense (except for the flexbone) that is as dependent upon the correct type of player at 1 position as the spread option is on an athletic QB.

Your #1 priority is to sign mobile QBs (plural because they are so crucial and so vulnerable). I prefer SPD to be 80+ and while I'd love a big arm, an accurate arm is more important (since there are so many short passes). However, my #2 priority with a QB is to have a high CAR rating (80+ if possible). Since your QB takes so many hits, one with low CAR will fumble a LOT. I personally never sign a QB that can't carry the ball. In '13 Athletes were the best place to find these QBs (in '13 I signed 12 "QBs" and they were all ATHs).

As a run-first guy, my O-line is always my #2 priority. I tend to recruit balanced and run blocking O-linemen and once I get an O-line full of studs I always notice my rushing numbers go up. I can't say how '14 will play out, but in both '12 and '13 my offense didn't become dominant until I had a dominant O-line.

Since there are several formations with multiple HBs, you want to be deep there, especially if you run the no huddle. Speed backs are nice as a home run hitter, but I prefer power backs and balanced guys. Guys that end up with 90+ TRK almost always fall forward for extra yards and often times can run over defenders. My time spent with the '14 demo shows that power backs will likely be even more effective.

For WRs, I like to have a couple fast guys and these are the ones that get the carries. They're also your home run threats in the passing game. Since there are so many short passes, you want WRs with sure hands too. I tend to stay away from possession WRs because their SPD never progresses but there are plenty of balanced WRs with good hands. Since you're running so many sets with a lot of WRs, you'll need to be deep here, again especially if you run no huddle.

You can go anyway you want with TEs. I prefer blocking TEs because for me, their main priority is to block, but some spread offenses utilize the TE in the passing game much more than I do so you'll have to decide what type of TE best fits your flavor of the spread. If you rarely use 2 TE sets, you don't need to be especially deep at TE. The FB almost never sees the field in this offense and should be your absolute last recruiting priority out of the 24 positions.

• 3-4 QBs
• 4-5 HBs
• 1-2 FBs
• 7 WRs
• 2-3 TEs
• 5 OTs
• 5 Gs
• 3 Cs

Very good write up man, I look forward to trying it out on the 9th!

jello1717
06-30-2013, 09:21 PM
The one thing I'll add is make sure you know your playbook backwards and forwards. Just like with the raid the spread option really excels when you know your playbook. Once the game drops goto practice mode and run a bunch of play now games and look at the replays to see how the different def formations react. Then you'll start recognizing the def and what to expect from them.

As someone that runs a no huddle (but not a hurry up) all the time, I'll second and third this statement. CPBs make no huddle (for both offense and defense) way, way easier IMO. The best thing you can do with a CPB is to order you plays in a sensible manner. If you do this then it's much easier to find your plays. For my CPBs, I order them like this, from left to right, top to bottom (but of course, any order that works for you is the best, as long as there is an order).

OFFENSE (every formation is ordered like this):

HB runs
QB runs
WR runs
options
PA passes
screens
short passes
mid range passes
deep passes

DEFENSE (every formation is ordered like this):

cover 2 zone blitzes
cover 3 zone blitzes
cover 2 through cover 6
cover 2 man
cover 1 man
cover 1 man blitzes
cover 0 man blitzes

JeffHCross
06-30-2013, 10:00 PM
BigBails, if you want to get comfortable with a Read Option offense, go into a game, even a game of NCAA 13, and just run it practically all game. Change the formations, the looks, whatever, but run it practically all game. And use the PA passes off of it for as many of the passing downs as possible. That's how I switched from a pro-style offense to running exclusively Read Option and Spread-To-Run.

sublime
06-30-2013, 10:36 PM
the videos on www.fishduck.com helped me with the read option a ton.

uagrad90
06-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Pa pass are deadly in user games if you have the option established. And don't do like me and get in the rut of the same audibles. I'm working on that part.

sublime
06-30-2013, 11:12 PM

Basic Strategies:

PROS:
CONS:

• 3-4 QBs
• 4-5 HBs
• 1-2 FBs
• 7 WRs
• 2-3 TEs
• 5 OTs
• 5 Gs
• 3 Cs

Thanks! That is a great writeup! Where are you posting on this on TSO, btw? And is it perhaps part of a series where various players familiar with a certain system all do a similar writeup? Because that would be amazing. Thanks again.

jello1717
06-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks! That is a great writeup! Where are you posting on this on TSO, btw? And is it perhaps part of a series where various players familiar with a certain system all do a similar writeup? Because that would be amazing. Thanks again.

One of the TSO mods is writing an article with the various offenses. He's asked for an article from guys that specialize in the various offenses (pro/option/spread option/air raid/pistol/one back) and he's gonna compile them into 1 article (I think, but he's definitely already gotten articles for all of those 6 offenses). The idea was to give a little intro for the various offenses for people that aren't familiar with them in case they wanted to try something new. I imagine it'll be a front page type of article ( http://traditionsportsonline.com/ ) rather than a forum posting ( http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/ ) but I don't know when/where it'll be posted.

uagrad90
06-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Lol I know who I'm looking for when my O struggles in the OD I'm in over there lol.

sublime
07-01-2013, 02:32 AM
One of the TSO mods is writing an article with the various offenses. He's asked for an article from guys that specialize in the various offenses (pro/option/spread option/air raid/pistol/one back) and he's gonna compile them into 1 article (I think, but he's definitely already gotten articles for all of those 6 offenses). The idea was to give a little intro for the various offenses for people that aren't familiar with them in case they wanted to try something new. I imagine it'll be a front page type of article ( http://traditionsportsonline.com/ ) rather than a forum posting ( http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/ ) but I don't know when/where it'll be posted.

Cool. Thanks, I didn't know if it had been posted yet. I'll just check TSO every few days.

Bigbails35
07-01-2013, 06:35 AM
BigBails, if you want to get comfortable with a Read Option offense, go into a game, even a game of NCAA 13, and just run it practically all game. Change the formations, the looks, whatever, but run it practically all game. And use the PA passes off of it for as many of the passing downs as possible. That's how I switched from a pro-style offense to running exclusively Read Option and Spread-To-Run.

Unfortunately, my copy of 13 seems to have vanished. I probably let someone borrow it and they still have it (I hope). In the mean time I'm stuck with OSU and Oregon in the demo. I should have a few days of practice before our OD starts since we usually wait for named rosters.

uagrad90
07-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Unfortunately, my copy of 13 seems to have vanished. I probably let someone borrow it and they still have it (I hope). In the mean time I'm stuck with OSU and Oregon in the demo. I should have a few days of practice before our OD starts since we usually wait for named rosters.

Actually use all 6 teams in the demo. They all have varies option plays. What I would do is play each team, super sim when on def (this gets you more time on offense), then pick plays from the by play type and goto the option section. Just run all the different options you see. You will find the ones you like and the ones you need to work on. Right now I'm struggling with the speed and the inverted veer. The speed I am having to get my angles right with the QB so to force the Def man to pick and the inverted veer I just cant get a feel for it yet.

Bigbails35
07-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Actually use all 6 teams in the demo. They all have varies option plays. What I would do is play each team, super sim when on def (this gets you more time on offense), then pick plays from the by play type and goto the option section. Just run all the different options you see. You will find the ones you like and the ones you need to work on. Right now I'm struggling with the speed and the inverted veer. The speed I am having to get my angles right with the QB so to force the Def man to pick and the inverted veer I just cant get a feel for it yet.

Yeah I'll need to try that. I've been having trouble with the shovel option as well as speed since I'm not used to making the pitch. I've also been having trouble with draws which is odd since I never had any problems last year. I've got the inside/outside zone read down as well as triple option to an extent.

uagrad90
07-01-2013, 09:25 AM
I think my issues are coming from the fact I am forcing myself to adjust to the Coordinator cam. You can really see the running lanes open up with it. But it is giving me fits on reading those two option plays I mentioned.

Bigbails35
07-01-2013, 12:17 PM
I think my issues are coming from the fact I am forcing myself to adjust to the Coordinator cam. You can really see the running lanes open up with it. But it is giving me fits on reading those two option plays I mentioned.

Yeah I thought I would like the new cam but not so much. The normal one has always been good enough for me.

uagrad90
07-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Its growing on me lol

jello1717
07-01-2013, 01:05 PM
The demo is great for practicing the options. Obviously Oregon and aOSU are the best but VT is great as well and as an added bonus it gives you a very different type of QB to use AND it lets you run it against a 3-4. Here's a couple of things I've done with the demo when I want to practice.
1. Just play offense. Even better than supersimming defense, whenever you're about to lose the ball pause the game (before the play call screen comes up) and go to settings -> select sides and pick the other team. When the play call screen comes up, switch back to your team and then just punt with the other team.
2. If you're struggling with reads on certain plays, connect another controller and use that for the defense. On defense, set the option defensive gameplanning setting to aggressive (to force the D to take the QB) and then run the play over and over to see what a "give" read looks like. Then switch the D setting to conservative (to force a keep) and run the play over and over to see what a "keep" read looks like. This helped me a lot with the new midline option and inverted veer.
3. For random options against random defenses, the skills training is nice. You can just keep replaying the drill as many times as you want. What's really nice about it is that you fail anytime you make the wrong read so you're not rewarded for the times that you make the wrong read, but still gain yards. This is a great way to get confirmation that you made the correct read.

uagrad90
07-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Dang good advice jello. I will try the dual controller thing for sure.

Bigbails35
07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Oh yeah I'm digging the skills trainer. Really helps a lot with the triple option

PDuncanOSU
07-01-2013, 05:47 PM
The demo is great for practicing the options. Obviously Oregon and aOSU are the best but VT is great as well and as an added bonus it gives you a very different type of QB to use AND it lets you run it against a 3-4. Here's a couple of things I've done with the demo when I want to practice.
1. Just play offense. Even better than supersimming defense, whenever you're about to lose the ball pause the game (before the play call screen comes up) and go to settings -> select sides and pick the other team. When the play call screen comes up, switch back to your team and then just punt with the other team.
2. If you're struggling with reads on certain plays, connect another controller and use that for the defense. On defense, set the option defensive gameplanning setting to aggressive (to force the D to take the QB) and then run the play over and over to see what a "give" read looks like. Then switch the D setting to conservative (to force a keep) and run the play over and over to see what a "keep" read looks like. This helped me a lot with the new midline option and inverted veer.
3. For random options against random defenses, the skills training is nice. You can just keep replaying the drill as many times as you want. What's really nice about it is that you fail anytime you make the wrong read so you're not rewarded for the times that you make the wrong read, but still gain yards. This is a great way to get confirmation that you made the correct read.

Dang good advice jello. I will try the dual controller thing for sure.

I used the dual controllers as well to get an idea on what a "give" and "keep" read looked like on a lot of the new options. I liked the skills trainer but I wanted to focus on the midline and inverted veer and wasn't seeing them much in the trainer.

johntom2000
07-01-2013, 10:41 PM
I am thinking about making this playbook in 14. Here is the link http://www.playbookexchange.net/playbooks/Offense/01020301-SpreadOption.pdf

here are the Formation and Plays
Flexbone Normal
Plays:
Triple Option
Fullback Trap
Speed Option
Fullback Draw
Go Route
Switch Route
Smash Route
Veer Dump
Dive Choice

Do I need to add anymore plays? or Look at the flexbone normal from the custom playbook when the game drops?

Bigbails35
07-03-2013, 06:41 AM
I had time to play a game as OSU last night and really got a nice offense going, even busted a 60 something yard TD with "Braxton". I didn't do as well at the goal line though, I think because I was trying to run outside when I should have been running it straight ahead inside. Going to try and get some more games in later today.

jello1717
07-03-2013, 06:03 PM
http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/tso-offensive-scheme-breakdown.99846/

Bigbails35
07-03-2013, 06:16 PM
http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/tso-offensive-scheme-breakdown.99846/

Nice stuff, I'll have to keep it in mind if I decide to try something else. I'm getting a lot better with the spread option stuff thanks to this thread and your write up!

sublime
07-03-2013, 10:47 PM

That is an amazing resource. Thanks for your contribution to it and for the link!

Bigbails35
07-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Has anyone noticed in the demo that when you go no-huddle, the cpu doesn't change the play? I just ran the same play and kept getting 10 yards because the cpu just ran the same blitz every single time. I really hope this is fixed in the retail.

Rcktfan916
07-07-2013, 10:26 PM
What's the deal with the inverted veer read options? Do you read the the play opposite of regular read plays, or is it just a super fast choice, haven't been able to get one to work yet. However the buck sweep zone read play in VT's book, awesome!

PDuncanOSU
07-08-2013, 07:22 AM
What's the deal with the inverted veer read options? Do you read the the play opposite of regular read plays, or is it just a super fast choice, haven't been able to get one to work yet. However the buck sweep zone read play in VT's book, awesome!

Check out this thread. I posted a link there on how the inverted veer is run. You read the playside EMLOS. On the standard read-option you read the backside EMLOS.

Spread-to-run/Read-option (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?6965-Spread-to-Run-Spread-Option)

thomguy123
07-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Every time I use no-huddle in NCAA 14 using a custom offensive playbook, there is a very frustrating glitch. After a play ends and I start the no-huddle, that formation that I just used disappears and reappears somewhere else with a different formation but the same (incorrect) name. Many other formations as you scroll through are with incorrect titles, and many disappear that should be there. This happens quite a lot. Also, I have noticed if in no-huddle and you successfully get through this glitch and call a handoff (usually a jet sweep), the play doesn't work; the quarterback fakes a draw and then scrambles around the backfield until he gets tackled. Another very frustrating issue. Is anyone else having these troubles?

GBRNation
07-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Every time I use no-huddle in NCAA 14 using a custom offensive playbook, there is a very frustrating glitch. After a play ends and I start the no-huddle, that formation that I just used disappears and reappears somewhere else with a different formation but the same (incorrect) name. Many other formations as you scroll through are with incorrect titles, and many disappear that should be there. This happens quite a lot. Also, I have noticed if in no-huddle and you successfully get through this glitch and call a handoff (usually a jet sweep), the play doesn't work; the quarterback fakes a draw and then scrambles around the backfield until he gets tackled. Another very frustrating issue. Is anyone else having these troubles?

Yeah the same happened to me. No huddle is not happening for me this year.

Sent via Tapatalk