PDA

View Full Version : Spread-to Run/Spread-Option

PDuncanOSU
06-20-2013, 03:19 PM
With the spread option obviously being a focus of NCAA 14 I thought I'd start a thread here to post your favorite plays from the spread in NCAA 14, share your spread option playbooks, or just discuss the offense in general.

Here are some links to articles about the spread-to-run offense that Urban Meyer and OC Tom Herman are running at OSU:

Urban Meyer/Tom Herman Spread (http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/get-smart-about-urban-meyers-ohio-state-spread)

I'll post some more links later on. smartfootball.com is a great place to learn more about the Xs & Os of football.

RussellW65
06-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Does the Flexbone count? Paul Johnson calls his offense a Spread Option.
The Flexbone is my primary offense but I do use the Shotgun options as well. I am dying to see what they have added to the Flex and Wing bone offenses.
I am in love with all the new options in the game this year. It is going to be hard for me to trim the offense down to a usable # for my playbook. I love the new F OVER TWINS set. I also like the options with the Motion man as the dive back. Jet Sweep now has an inside Zone play as well

PDuncanOSU
06-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Does the Flexbone count? Paul Johnson calls his offense a Spread Option.
The Flexbone is my primary offense but I do use the Shotgun options as well. I am dying to see what they have added to the Flex and Wing bone offenses.
I am in love with all the new options in the game this year. It is going to be hard for me to trim the offense down to a usable # for my playbook. I love the new F OVER TWINS set. I also like the options with the Motion man as the dive back. Jet Sweep now has an inside Zone play as well

I was thinking more of the shotgun/pistol spread option stuff, but I think a lot of the same concepts are used in both offenses just out of different formations so either works for me.

RussellW65
06-20-2013, 03:57 PM
I was thinking more of the shotgun/pistol spread option stuff, but I think a lot of the same concepts are used in both offenses just out of different formations so either works for me.

I will probably be running a lot of Sproption this year. The Oregon PB is just to sweet

PDuncanOSU
06-21-2013, 07:29 AM
As promised, some links I found interesting:

Spread Arithmetic (http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/01/why-spread-it-is-all-about-arithmetic)

Bubble screen in the spread (http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/03/why-bubble-its-all-about-constraint)

Zone Read Triple Option (http://smartfootball.com/run-game/the-zone-read-gun-triple-option-and-the-quadruple-option)

Inverted Veer (http://smartfootball.com/run-game/what-is-the-inverted-veer-dash-read)

Speed Option (http://smartfootball.com/run-game/the-simple-wonderful-inexpensive-speed-option)

Midline Read (http://smartfootball.com/run-game/oregons-zone-read-of-the-defensive-tackle)

Ironmanfootball
06-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Here are a few zone and option articles I've written for my blog. I run a zone option offense at a small HS in Florida. If you have any Q's let me know

Veer and inverted veer (http://ironmanfootball.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/dash-and-flash/)

Attacking the 5-technique (http://ironmanfootball.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/attacking-the-5-tech-in-a-zone-running-offense/)

Speed option with shovel (http://ironmanfootball.wordpress.com/2013/05/19/speed-option-with-shovel-concept/)

The evolution of the pitchman (http://ironmanfootball.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/the-evolution-of-the-pitchman/)

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-24-2013, 05:47 PM
ironman you must be a coach huey member... only one coach I know who teaches the terms dash and flash

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Ironmanfootball
06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
I am, I'm ironmanfootball there too.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-24-2013, 05:55 PM
yeah I figured with those names you have read togs stuff... nice to have a fellow coach around

Ironmanfootball
06-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Does tog call it flash? I made it up for my veer plays.

GBRNation
06-24-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm really enjoying using the spread option this demo. I used it a ton last year and never had problems with it so it is nice to see it get even better. I'm really enjoying the inverted veer. I absolutely love this play. Seems like I am always getting a first down. What are are your opinions on this play?

Sent via Tapatalk

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-24-2013, 06:14 PM
he named his inverted veer dash and jet inverted veer flash... only place I had ever seen those terms until I peeked at your blog

Ironmanfootball
06-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Ah ok. Dash is my dive option w veer blocking, flash (flip) is my inverted veer.

PDuncanOSU
06-25-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm really enjoying using the spread option this demo. I used it a ton last year and never had problems with it so it is nice to see it get even better. I'm really enjoying the inverted veer. I absolutely love this play. Seems like I am always getting a first down. What are are your opinions on this play?

Sent via Tapatalk

I also used the read option a lot last year and am enjoying it in the demo. I think the read option and the inverted veer will be the base of my offense this year. I especially like that these two plays typically have playaction passes and/or playaction screens linked to them.

One thing I've noticed, granted in a small sample size, is that the DE seems to take the RB on the inverted veer every time but mixes it up on the read option.

PDuncanOSU
06-25-2013, 08:52 AM
Here are a few zone and option articles I've written for my blog. I run a zone option offense at a small HS in Florida. If you have any Q's let me know

Veer and inverted veer (http://ironmanfootball.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/dash-and-flash/)

Attacking the 5-technique (http://ironmanfootball.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/attacking-the-5-tech-in-a-zone-running-offense/)

Speed option with shovel (http://ironmanfootball.wordpress.com/2013/05/19/speed-option-with-shovel-concept/)

The evolution of the pitchman (http://ironmanfootball.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/the-evolution-of-the-pitchman/)

I've never coached, or even played, organized football but am really interested by a lot of these spread concepts. Ever since Urban Meyer got to OSU I've been reading anything I can find on his offense and other spread-to-run offenses. Thanks for posting these.

Ironmanfootball
06-25-2013, 03:39 PM
I've never coached, or even played, organized football but am really interested by a lot of these spread concepts. Ever since Urban Meyer got to OSU I've been reading anything I can find on his offense and other spread-to-run offenses. Thanks for posting these.

Joe Daniel did a podcast on it, maybe #3? Here (http://www.footballcoachingpodcast.com/)

There's the mesh point podcast too.

But I love talking ball so anything you want to know, just ask

GBRNation
06-25-2013, 03:45 PM
I also used the read option a lot last year and am enjoying it in the demo. I think the read option and the inverted veer will be the base of my offense this year. I especially like that these two plays typically have playaction passes and/or playaction screens linked to them.

One thing I've noticed, granted in a small sample size, is that the DE seems to take the RB on the inverted veer every time but mixes it up on the read option.

Yeah I have noticed that as well. Have you tried the Midline QB option? I am loving this as well. The defense just can't stop me. I will definitely be focusing on running the ball this year.

Sent via Tapatalk

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-25-2013, 03:53 PM
There's the mesh point podcast too.

which mesh do you coach? i am a point method guy

Ironmanfootball
06-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Point vs ride and read? I like ride with using the elbow to shove him off when QB keeps. Slip arm out on give. Learned from MacPherson at Ridgeview.

ryby6969
06-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Point vs ride and read? I like ride with using the elbow to shove him off when QB keeps. Slip arm out on give. Learned from MacPherson at Ridgeview.

Where do you coach at in Florida?

PDuncanOSU
06-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Yeah I have noticed that as well. Have you tried the Midline QB option? I am loving this as well. The defense just can't stop me. I will definitely be focusing on running the ball this year.

Sent via Tapatalk

I think I've tried most of the different option types in OSU and Oregon's playbooks now in the demo. I haven't had a lot of luck with the midline option. I have trouble making a read of the DT before I have to make the decision to give the ball or keep it.

One play that I really like running in my game as Oregon tonight was the read option with Counter blocking. It is still a fairly straight-forward read of the DE but the counter blocking gets a lead blocker out ahead of the RB on the give.

uagrad90
06-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Check out Va Techs. They have an interesting one with a read option off the buck sweep. A nice little wrinkle.

PDuncanOSU
06-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Check out Va Techs. They have an interesting one with a read option off the buck sweep. A nice little wrinkle.

Thanks for the tip, I haven't played with VaTech yet. Hopefully I'll have time to give them a try tonight. I wonder if this is in the Oregon playbook and I just haven't come across it yet?

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the tip, I haven't played with VaTech yet. Hopefully I'll have time to give them a try tonight. I wonder if this is in the Oregon playbook and I just haven't come across it yet?

no... only seen it in the VT PB

uagrad90
06-26-2013, 02:48 PM
As Guru said, Ive only seen it in the Tech PB. But I have been making notes for my custom PB and I will be adding this for sure.

PDuncanOSU
06-26-2013, 03:11 PM
As Guru said, Ive only seen it in the Tech PB. But I have been making notes for my custom PB and I will be adding this for sure.

I've been making some mental notes for mine as well. I'll have to try this "Buck-sweep read" first, but I assume it'll make my playbook. Is there a play-action pass attached to it by any chance? I like some of the "trap reads", "counter reads", etc. (and I think I'll like the "buck-sweep read") but I like to focus on run plays that have linked playaction passes.

One problem I had in NCAA 13 was letting myself get carried away with the number of plays in my custom playbook. I really want to try to keep my playbook condensed this year with my favorite option plays, playactions off of them, WR screens, and the handful of drop-back pass concepts I like to use. I want to follow what a lot of the spread offenses are doing now: keep your offense simple, but run it fast.

uagrad90
06-26-2013, 03:22 PM
I believe they had a PA pass of the buck sweep but I cant remember. Yea cutting down is always the hard part. This year I'm thinking fewer formations and more play options from the formations I really like.

PDuncanOSU
06-26-2013, 03:56 PM
I believe they had a PA pass of the buck sweep but I cant remember. Yea cutting down is always the hard part. This year I'm thinking fewer formations and more play options from the formations I really like.

I am thinking pretty much the same thing. Since I want to do no-huddle I'm going to start with personnel groups. I'll probably use 10 personnel (1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR), 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) and 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) with all of the play concepts I want in as few formations as possible within each group. I'll then probably use one of the "big" Pistol sets as my goal-line. Last year there was a Pistol formation with 1 RB, 3 TE, and 1 WR I used as goal-line that I'll probably use again.

GBRNation
06-26-2013, 05:58 PM

Do you know what formation? I am all of the sudden jacked to try this out.

EDIT: Never mind I found it. Its a very nice play. It has some great blocking. I underestimated VTs playbook.

Sent via Tapatalk

uagrad90
06-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Do you know what formation? I am all of the sudden jacked to try this out.

EDIT: Never mind I found it. Its a very nice play. It has some great blocking. I underestimated VTs playbook.

Sent via Tapatalk

LOL I'm glad you found it because right off the top of my head I don't remember which formation it was. I just rember there were two very similar one had a the TE on the LOS and the other had the TE slightly off the LOS in a Wing spot.

uagrad90
06-27-2013, 07:38 AM
I am thinking pretty much the same thing. Since I want to do no-huddle I'm going to start with personnel groups. I'll probably use 10 personnel (1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR), 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) and 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) with all of the play concepts I want in as few formations as possible within each group. I'll then probably use one of the "big" Pistol sets as my goal-line. Last year there was a Pistol formation with 1 RB, 3 TE, and 1 WR I used as goal-line that I'll probably use again.

Yea this is where I'm planning to go "10 personnel (1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR), 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR)" but I form sub in the 10 and put a TE in the for one of the WR to keep the 11 look but give me a more spread out approach. I need to look at the big Pistol you mentioned cause that is one area I struggled last year. Inside the 5 my Off just stalled out. I was looking at either some Ace or Big Gun but will now also look at the Big Pistol.

PDuncanOSU
06-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Yea this is where I'm planning to go "10 personnel (1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR), 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR)" but I form sub in the 10 and put a TE in the for one of the WR to keep the 11 look but give me a more spread out approach. I need to look at the big Pistol you mentioned cause that is one area I struggled last year. Inside the 5 my Off just stalled out. I was looking at either some Ace or Big Gun but will now also look at the Big Pistol.

I like using the 2 & 3 TE formations out of the Gun and Pistol as it helps in some short yardage and goal line situations. I can also run most of the same read-option stuff and fine most of the same route concepts in these formations that I use in my spread stuff.

jello1717
06-28-2013, 06:03 PM
I am thinking pretty much the same thing. Since I want to do no-huddle I'm going to start with personnel groups. I'll probably use 10 personnel (1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WR), 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) and 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) with all of the play concepts I want in as few formations as possible within each group. I'll then probably use one of the "big" Pistol sets as my goal-line. Last year there was a Pistol formation with 1 RB, 3 TE, and 1 WR I used as goal-line that I'll probably use again.I've been running the spread option in NCAA since '09 and I love that it's finally getting some attention (it used to be very brutal to run it). I use some 12 personnel but my base formations are 11 personnel and of course I run a lot of 10 personnel. Don't forget about 20 or 21 personnel though. There are some great options out of these formations and they usually have options involving either HB (I always go with 2 HBs instead of 1HB, 1 FB) so the D can't tell from the formation if you're gonna run right or left.

I absolutely LOVE the midline options in the demo and there are a bunch of read option plays with pulling O-linemen (someone already mentioned the counter read and the buck sweep, which has 2 pulling linemen, but there are a bunch of other option plays with pulling lead blockers. My CPB for '13 had 25 SG formations in it but I think in '14 I'll do like others here and pare that down to roughly 17-18 so that I can have more looks per formation. I absolutely love all of the different choices available in some of these formations. In just the demo there are formations with a read right and a read left and a midline read middle and an inverted veer read on the other side and triple option left and triple option right along with PA passes to go with a lot of these. The D will have no clue which way you're gonna run the ball.

johntom2000
07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
I am thinking about making this playbook in 14. Here is the link http://www.playbookexchange.net/play...readOption.pdf

here are the Formation and Plays
Flexbone Normal
Plays:
Triple Option
Fullback Trap
Speed Option
Fullback Draw
Go Route
Switch Route
Smash Route
Veer Dump
Dive Choice

Do I need to add anymore plays? or Look at the flexbone normal from the custom playbook when the game drops?

PDuncanOSU
07-02-2013, 03:32 PM
I am thinking about making this playbook in 14. Here is the link http://www.playbookexchange.net/play...readOption.pdf

here are the Formation and Plays
Flexbone Normal
Plays:
Triple Option
Fullback Trap
Speed Option
Fullback Draw
Go Route
Switch Route
Smash Route
Veer Dump
Dive Choice

Do I need to add anymore plays? or Look at the flexbone normal from the custom playbook when the game drops?

I don't know enough about the triple-option out of the flexbone and those plays in particular to specifically answer this. A couple questions to ask yourself that might help when setting up your playbook and deciding if you have enough plays.

Do I have an answer for every situation I could come across in a game? (1st & 10, 2nd & short, 3rd & long, man d, zone d, etc.
What do I want my base play, or plays, to be and do I have a constraint if the defense is cheating to stop those plays (for example: a playaction pass if the safeties are cheating up on a run or a bubble screen if the slot defender is cheating inside)?

JeffHCross
07-02-2013, 10:13 PM
PDuncan, if you haven't checked it out, in addition to SmartFootball, Eleven Warriors is doing a lot of great breakdowns for our current offense.

PDuncanOSU
07-03-2013, 07:08 AM
PDuncan, if you haven't checked it out, in addition to SmartFootball, Eleven Warriors is doing a lot of great breakdowns for our current offense.

Jeff,
I check out Eleven Warriors just about every day. I like a lot of the writing there and it's the best place to keep up on all of the Buckeye news. I think I linked to some of their articles on the OSU offense at the beginning of this thread. It's great stuff.

PDuncanOSU
07-03-2013, 07:33 AM
I played a game this morning before work as :Oregon:. All-American difficulty for offense and defense, game speed at slow, and speed threshold at 0.
A couple of my thoughts from this game:

"Shotgun Spread HB Weak" in :Oregon: playbook is awesome! It has a read-option w/ a playaction, a mid-line option, inverted veer w/ a playaction, tackle-trap option, guard-trap option, counter read-option, a standard HB counter, playaction bubble screen, and a playaction WR screen. If I can add "stick" and a couple "shallow cross" plays for a drop-back pass game, I could run this one formation all game.
I went no-huddle all game using only the "Shotgun Spread HB Weak" formation and alternating between the different option plays. :Texas_A&M: stayed in their dime defense the whole first half, kept their safeties deep and went with the RB every time on the option. Maybe because I stayed no-huddle it kept :Texas_A&M: from adjusting, but I'd like to see the D mix things up more instead of just giving the QB 8-12 yards a carry every play.

GBRNation
07-03-2013, 10:38 AM
I played a game this morning before work as :Oregon:. All-American difficulty for offense and defense, game speed at slow, and speed threshold at 0.
A couple of my thoughts from this game:

"Shotgun Spread HB Weak" in :Oregon: playbook is awesome! It has a read-option w/ a playaction, a mid-line option, inverted veer w/ a playaction, tackle-trap option, guard-trap option, counter read-option, a standard HB counter, playaction bubble screen, and a playaction WR screen. If I can add "stick" and a couple "shallow cross" plays for a drop-back pass game, I could run this one formation all game.
I went no-huddle all game using only the "Shotgun Spread HB Weak" formation and alternating between the different option plays. :Texas_A&M: stayed in their dime defense the whole first half, kept their safeties deep and went with the RB every time on the option. Maybe because I stayed no-huddle it kept :Texas_A&M: from adjusting, but I'd like to see the D mix things up more instead of just giving the QB 8-12 yards a carry every play.

Yeah that is by far my favorite formation in the demo. I'm hoping there will be a good hb run out of it as well as a nice passing option was I am not too fond of the ones currently in it.

Edit: Words didn't come out right. Damn Swipe

Sent via Tapatalk

PDuncanOSU
07-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Yeah that is by far my favorite formation in the demo. I'm hoping there will be a good hb run out of it as well as a nice passing option was I ask not too found of the ones currently in it.

Sent via Tapatalk

Does anyone know if :Texas_A&M: has this formation in their playbook? A lot of the pass plays I like are used in the Air Raid playbooks. Any formation I can find that has a lot of read-option plays, play-action off of those, and air-raid passes such as Shallow Cross, Stick, and Spot will be something I want in my CPB.

jolson88
07-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know if :Texas_A&M: has this formation in their playbook? A lot of the pass plays I like are used in the Air Raid playbooks. Any formation I can find that has a lot of read-option plays, play-action off of those, and air-raid passes such as Shallow Cross, Stick, and Spot will be something I want in my CPB.

This is _exactly_ the kind of thing I'm going to be looking for tonight. That sounds like my dream CPB right there :).

jolson88
07-11-2013, 12:34 AM

Spent some time digging into shotgun formations for my own CPB tonight to try to find this same combination. Here's the breakdown of the notes I took...

First of all, I wouldn't consider myself an expert in either the Spread Option or the Air Raid. So if there are plays with "like-minded concepts" that I've concluded that folks disagree with, I'd love to hear it :).

Here's a brief look at the 11 Personnel and 10 Personnel formations I went through to find ones I liked to combine Spread Option flavors with Air Raid out of the same look/feel/personnel. I didn't include any trips formations. I also didn't include any 12 personnel either. I still haven't decided whether I'm going to include the "regular run" plays or just do runs off of options. I also wish there were more triple options in formations with air raid passes :). Most of the 10 and 11 personnel formations I found with good options, motions, play action, and air raid didn't have triple options. I guess I can't have _everything_ want at the same time :).

Currently, I may start with 6 formations, 4 10 Personnel formations (Shotgun: Normal Y-Slot, Shotgun: Spread, Shotgun: Spread Flex, and Shotgun: Spread Offset) and 2 11 Personnel formations (Shotgun: Normal and Shotgun: Normal HB WK).

Formations I ruled out for my own use.

Shotgun: Normal Flex (11 Personnel). Not enough motion, options, or play actions for my liking.
Shotgun: Normal Flex Wk (11 Personnel). Not enough motion, options, or air raid for my liking.
Shotgun: Normal Offset (11 Personnel). Not enough air raid.
Shotgun: Normal Wing TE (11 Personnel). Not enough motion or air raid for my liking.
Shotgun: Normal Wing Wk (11 Personnel). Not enough motion or air raid for my liking.
Shotgun: Spread 4WR (10 Personnel). Not enough motion or air raid plays.
Shotgun: Spread Flex Wk (10 Personnel). Not enough motion for my taste. Will likely not use this.
Shotgun: Flanker Close (10 Personnel). Lack of good options and minimal air raid.
Shotgun: Flank Close Wk (10 Personnel). Lack of good options and minimal air raid.
Shotgun: Wing Trio Wk (11 Personnel). Not enough motion or air raid for me.

Shotgun: Normal (11 Personnel)
Regular Runs

45 Quick Base (pulling guard)
HB Counter
HB Mid Draw
HB Off Tackle

Options

Read Option
Counter Read Option
Dart Read Option (Pulling Guard)
Inverted Veer
Midline Read Option
Speed Option

WR Motion

Jet Sweep
Load Option
Motion WR Option
Motion Tr Option Lt
Shovel Option

Play Action

Load Option Pass (WR motion)
Motion Option Pass
PA FL Screen
PA Inverted Veer
PA Jet Sweep
PA SE Screen
PA Seams (basically Four Verticals from PA, sweet!)

Screens

HB Slip Screen
Fake Screen Wheel
PA FL Screen
PA SE Screen

Air Raid

Four Verticals
Y Shallow Cross
Z Spot (kind of a Y stick type play, though I don't like that it's based on motion that only a single other play uses)
Y Corner Post
Shark HB Wheel (has a shallow crossing mechanic, though the deep crosser is perhaps too deep, haven't run it yet)
Mesh
Drag Under (looks very much like a Z Shallow Cross type of play)

Shotgun: Normal HB WK (11 Personnel). I LOVE the look of this formation. Has the amazing Buck Read Option (two pulling guards to strong side and QB to weak on read option). And very nice mix of options, play actions, air raid plays.
Regular Runs

Buck Sweep
HB Base (pulling guard)
HB Counter
HB Mid Draw
HB Off Tackle

Options

Buck Read Option (I LOVE this play :))
Dart Read Option (pulling guard)
Inverted Veer
Midline Read Option
Read Option
Shovel Option (TE is one of the pitch men, so this will likely require practice to get the feel right of when to pitch to TE)
Speed Option

Motion

Not Enough :(
Jet Sweep (no other plays off this motion in this formation, so may not use it)

Play Action

PA Bubble
PA Inverted Veer
PA Read

Screens

WR Mid Screen
FL Screen (not off PA)
HB Slip Screen

Air Raid

Four Verticals
H Shallow Cross
H Stick
Mesh
X Shallow Cross
Corner - Threat (this may be a stretch as far as Air Raid, but it has a Smash/Sail concept on the right side, so including it)
Double Cross (Has a shallow cross type between TE and WR. But also has a "pick point" like a mesh with the RB and TE)

Other Plays

Strike HB Seam (looks to be a good play for an audible against Cover 2)

Shotgun: Normal Y-Flex (10 Personnel)
Regular Runs

HB Counter
HB Off Tackle
HB Quick Base (Off Tackle w/ pulling guard)
HB Draw

Options

Inverted Veer
Midline Read Option
Read Option
Speed Option

Motion

Jet Sweep

Play Action

PA FL Screen
PA Inverted Veer
PA Jet Sweep
PA Read

Screens

HB Slip Screen
PA FL Screen
WR Mid Screen

Air Raid

Four Verticals
H Shallow Cross
Mesh
Y Corner
Y Cross Flood
Y Shallow Cross
Y Stick
Z Shallow Cross
Z Spot
Smash HB Check

Shotgun: Normal Y-Slot (10 Personnel)
Regular Runs

HB Counter
HB Power (uses WR on Jet Sweep motion as a blocker with pulling guard; looks pretty cool)
HB Zone
HB Draw
Fk Bubble Draw
HB Mid Draw

Options

Inverted Veer
Load Option
Read Option
Read Option Mtn (off beginning of Jet Sweep WR motion)
Speed Option
Speed Option Mtn (off beginning of Jet Sweep WR motion)

Motion

Jet Sweep (minor annoyance: many of the other plays in this formation building off this WR motion are flipped to be based on the WR on the other side)

Play Action

Load Option Pass
PA Inverted Veer
PA Jet Sweep
PA Read
PA SE Screen
PA WR In (PA off of Jet Sweep motion)

Screens

Bubble Screens
HB Mid Screen
HB Slip Screen
PA SE Screen
WR Mid Screen

Air Raid

Four Verticals
Smash
X Shallow Cross
Y Shallow Cross
Y Stick
Curls Y-Stick
Z Shallow
FL Hook (Smash concept on right side)

Shotgun: Spread (10 Personnel)
Regular Runs

HB Counter (with pulling guard)
HB Direct
HB Sweep
HB Draw
HB Mid Draw

Options

Cntr Read Option (pulling guard and tackle to side of counter; looks wicked)
Inverted Veer
Load Option (with WR motion)
Midline Read Option
Motion WR Option
QB Slot Option (Read option with WR as pitch man it looks like)
Read Option
Speed Option
Load Option (WR motion)
Motion WR Option

Motion

Jet Sweep
Load Option
Load Option Pass
Motion WR Option

Play Action

PA Bubble
PA Inverted Veer
PA Jet Sweep
PA Read
PA SE Screen

Screens

HB Mid Screen
HB Slip Screen
PA SE Screen
WR Mid Screen

Air Raid

Four Verticals
H Shallow Cross
Y Cross
Y Shallow Cross
Y Stick
Z Shallow Cross
Smash Corners
FL Hook (Smash concept)

Shotgun: Spread Flex (10 Personnel)
Regular Runs

HB Dive
HB Sweep
HB Draw

Options

Load Option (WR motion)
Motion WR Option (WR motion)
QB Slot Option (released WR is pitch man)
Read Option
Shovel Option Rt
Speed Option

Motion

Jet Sweep
Load Option
Load Option Pass
Motion Option Pass
Motion WR Option
Mtn Inside Zone
Mtn PA Swing

Play Action

Mtn PA Swing (WR motion)
PA FL Screen
PA Jet Sweep
PA Read

Screens

HB Slip Screen
PA FL Screen
WR Mid Screen

Air Raid

Four Verticals
Mesh
Y Corner
Y Cross Flood
Y Shallow Cross
Y Stick
Z Shallow Cross
Z Spot
Smash Corners
Smash HB Check

Shotgun: Spread Offset (10 Personnel). Small formation but looks to have a little of everything :). Wish there was a mesh or a Y Cross Flood though.
Run Plays

0 1 Trap (pulling guard to seal outside)
Inside Zone
HB Draw

Options

QB Slot Option
Read Option
Shovel Option Rt
Veer Option (don't like the pre-snap HB motion that isn't used on other plays, wouuld be a giveaway)
Zone Speed Option

Motion

Jet Sweep
Mtn Inside Zone
Mtn PA Swing
Mtn Tr Option Lt (yay, triple option!)
Mtn Tr Option Rt (yay, triple option!)

Play Action

Mtn PA Swing
PA Bubble
PA SE Screen
PA Veer
PA Veer Cross

Screens

HB Slip Screen

Air Raid

Four Verticals
Y Shallow Cross
Y Stick
Smash Corners

Other Plays

Fake Bubble Slant (constraint play)
Fake Screen Wheel (constraint play)

Shotgun: Spread Flex Wk (10 Personnel). Not enough motion for my taste. Will likely not use this.
Run Plays

HB Base (pulling guard)
HB Counter (pulling guard)
HB Mid Draw
HB Off Tackle
HB Sweep (not sure if I'd use this as it looks like Read Option is same but with ability to keep the ball)

Options

Cake Read Option (pulling guard)
Inverted Veer
Midline Read Option
QB Slot Option
Read Option
Speed Option

Motion

Jet Sweep

Play Action

PA Bubble
PA Inverted Veer
PA Read
PA SE Screen

Screens

HB Slip Screen
PA SE Screen
WR Mid Screen

Air Raid

Four Verticals
H Shallow Cross
H Stick
X Shallow Cross
Y Corner
Y Stick
Smash Corners
FL Hook (Smash concept on right)

Shotgun: Spread HB WK (10 Personnel). Even though there are _no_ motion plays in this formation it still looks like a solid formation with some good read options (like Cntr Read, G Trap, T Trap, etc.). Combination of no motion plays and missing some Air Raid concepts (like Y Cross) will likely have this one not make my cut.
Run Plays

HB Base (pulling guard)
HB Counter (pulling guard)
HB Gut
HB Off Tackle
HB Sweep
HB Mid Draw

Options

Cake Read Option (pulling guard)
Cntr Read Option (pulling guard and tackle)
G Trap Read Option (pulling guard to seal off outside)
Inverted Veer
Midline Read Option
QB Slot Option
Read Option
Speed Option
T Trap Read Option (pulling tackle to seal off outside)

Play Action

PA Bubble
PA Inverted Veer
PA Read
PA SE Screen

Screens

Double Screen
HB Slip Screen
PA SE Screen
WR Mid Screen

Air Raid

Four Verticals
H Shallow Cross
H Stick
X Shallow Cross
Y Corner
Y Stick
Smash Corners
FL Hook (Smash concept on right)

I hope this helps some other folks wanting to create their own CPB :).

Marlowe
07-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Shotgun: Spread HB WK (10 Personnel). Even though there are _no_ motion plays in this formation it still looks like a solid formation with some good read options (like Cntr Read, G Trap, T Trap, etc.). Combination of no motion plays and missing some Air Raid concepts (like Y Cross) will likely have this one not make my cut.

You can recreate the Y Cross in this playbook by choosing the PA Read. Hot route X (using the pic below for WR designations) to a streak, Y to your choice, and the RB to a swing. Hot routing the RB will cancel the play action. So you can make this:

http://playbooks.ncaaplaybook.com/images/plays/ncaa13/SHOTGUN%20-%20SPREAD%20HB%20WK/SG%2000020.jpg

Look like this:

http://playbooks.ncaaplaybook.com/images/plays/ncaa13/SHOTGUN%20-%20SPREAD/SG%2000063.jpg

The exception being the RB is on the weak side.

PDuncanOSU
07-11-2013, 07:36 AM
This is _exactly_ the kind of thing I'm going to be looking for tonight. That sounds like my dream CPB right there :).
I've been working on my custom playbook and am still tinkering with it. Once Oneback has his playbook site (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?6972-NCAA-Playbooks-Site-Information) up and running I will share my playbook there. My goal is to keep the playbook as simple as possible while still being able to attack any area of the field. I hope to have 10, 11, 12, 20, and 21 personnel in the playbook and each personnel group will have the same 15 or so play concepts. This way I can recruit the best players interested in my school regardless of position, use the personnel that gives me the best matchups each game and still be running the same basic scheme.

thomguy123
07-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Every time I use no-huddle in NCAA 14 using a custom offensive playbook, there is a very frustrating glitch. After a play ends and I start the no-huddle, that formation that I just used dissapears and reapears somewhere else with a different formation but the same (incorrect) name. Many other formations as you scroll through are with incorrect titles, and many dissapear that should be there. This happens quite a lot. Also, I have noticed if in no-huddle and you successfully get through this glitch and call a handoff (usually a jet sweep), the play doesn't work; the quarterback fakes a draw and then scrambles around the backfield until he gets tackled. Another very frustrating issue. Is anyone else having these troubles?

Rcktfan916
07-15-2013, 09:55 PM
What's the deal with EA getting rid of SG Split Y-Trips? Why must they always remove sets? Still was hoping to get flexbone split, and flexbone wing normal back from 2011.

jello1717
07-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Currently, I may start with 6 formations, 4 10 Personnel formations (Shotgun: Normal Y-Slot, Shotgun: Spread, Shotgun: Spread Flex, and Shotgun: Spread Offset)
Shotgun: Normal Y-Flex (10 Personnel)
Shotgun: Normal Y-Slot (10 Personnel)

FWIW both Normal Y-Flex and Normal Y-Slot are 11 personnel, not 10 (hence the "Normal"). The TE lines up in the slot instead of on the line, but it's obviously still 11 personnel (and if you do any personnel based play calling, like from the no huddle, it'll be grouped with 11 formations, not 10, even if you package sub a WR into the TE slot).

http://www.playbooks.ncaaplaybook.com/images/ncaa13/formations/SHOTGUN%2000047.jpg http://www.playbooks.ncaaplaybook.com/images/ncaa13/formations/SHOTGUN%2000048.jpg

PDuncanOSU
08-20-2013, 08:51 AM
When I run a read-option or inverted-veer play against the CPU defense they seem to take the HB almost every time. I ended up having a my QB as my leading rusher and winning the heisman in an online-dynasty. The CPU defense never adjusted, just kept taking the HB nearly every play, all season. I just took the job at Oregon and want to make sure I get De'Anthony Thomas the ball. I'm going through Oregon's base playbook now for some ideas.
Anyone have some play suggestions? Keep in mind I like to have a playaction pass of as many of my run/option plays as possible.

PDuncanOSU
08-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is a Midline Read Option play with a play-action pass that isn't a screen?

PDuncanOSU
08-21-2013, 04:17 PM
I've got the offense I think I'm going to run up at simsports

Power Spread (http://www.simsports.net/viewPlaybook.php?pbid=611&gid=2)

I put some of the triple-option passes in because I like to have a playaction pass off of each of my run plays. I haven't used these before though, so I'm going to have to get into practice mode a bit to see if/how they work.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on the triple-option passes or my playbook in general?