PDA

View Full Version : Forum Feedback - May 2010

cdj
05-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Now that we have some guys coming in for feedback, please use this thread to let us know what you like, don't like, what you want to see, etc. That goes for forums and the front page content.

Things are still a work in progress, but don't hesitate to share your thoughts. We'll be adding more each day hopefully, but not everything may be visible to you guys.

cdj
05-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Tommy - the OD Tracker widget seems to be logged into or accessing your account. Can you log out then get the source code and update the widget? If not, it defaults to showing 'Oneback's OD for everyone who goes in there at first.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Hey guys,

Love the look and feel of the site. In general, it looks and feels very smooth and easy to navigate.

Really like the Information Central Link right at the top! Like I told CDJ, it took me quite awhile to find that thread on Utopia & when I did it was like, Damn, where have you been all my life?!?! :D

The recent activity & friends activity widgets are a real nice touch that'll come in handy. Also, the forum navigation bar & poll results on the left side are nice additions.

I'll keep lookin around & leaving feedback but I just thought I'd post my first impression thoughts. Keep up the good work.

gschwendt
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Tommy - the OD Tracker widget seems to be logged into or accessing your account. Can you log out then get the source code and update the widget? If not, it defaults to showing 'Oneback's OD for everyone who goes in there at first.
I think I have that fixed now... that's weird. I would have never thought it would have used my settings. I thought it was always a local user cache.

cdj
05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
The recent activity & friends activity widgets are a real nice touch that'll come in handy. Also, the forum navigation bar & poll results on the left side are nice additions.

Can you tell me what you are seeing in both of those widgets? Any threads from admin forum showing up? One would be called 'People coming in early.'

Also, Kwizzy found something.....I thought I had it so new members couldn't have sigs, but I must not have set that up correctly. :D You can leave it in, that's the kind of finds we're looking for from you guys.

Make sure to spend a lot of time on the front page (see if you can find what you can do there) and click every button you can. See if you can do something you shouldn't.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Having trouble setting a custom avatar... Only option I have is a preset halmets list

Also, I'm seeing a thread at the top of the forum called "vBCms Comments", not sure what that is but thought I'd say something in case that's supposed to be for mods only.

Not seeing anything in those widgets that looks like I shouldn't be seeing it.

cdj
05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Having trouble setting a custom avatar... Only option I have is a preset halmets list

Also, I'm seeing a thread at the top of the forum called "vBCms Comments", not sure what that is but thought I'd say something in case that's supposed to be for mods only.

Not seeing anything in those widgets that looks like I shouldn't be seeing it.

Right now, we have it set so new members can have an avatar, but only from the custom list. At 'other sites', new members can't have one period. Do you like or dislike that? I'll look and see at what point a custom avatar can be added. I know those who Donate here can get a custom avatar, but we aren't completely set up for that yet.

vBScomments are where news postings on the front page used to go, but we now have it defaulted to the NCAA News & Announcements and we will move any threads that don't fit. Think we should hide or yank that comments sub-forum so it doesn't confuse people?

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Right now, we have it set so new members can have an avatar, but only from the custom list. At 'other sites', new members can't have one period. Do you like or dislike that? I'll look and see at what point a custom avatar can be added. I know those who Donate here can get a custom avatar, but we aren't completely set up for that yet.

vBScomments are where news postings on the front page used to go, but we now have it defaulted to the NCAA News & Announcements and we will move any threads that don't fit. Think we should hide or yank that comments sub-forum so it doesn't confuse people?

I dunno, I would think if you've got the news and annoucements forum that might be unnecessary. Unless I'm missing something here...
As far as Avatars, I guess it doesn't really matter to me because I'll be a paid subscriber once you're set up for it. But maybe you could let new users who sign up in the first month or so use one just for being here at the start or something? I don't know if it's possible to distinguish that based on when people register.

Something weird is happening here as I'm trying to reply. when I track my mouse over the comment box it moves the cursor around the text. Dunno if that might be the site or just my comp or what. It's scrolling the window up and down and sometimes changes the cursor location.

steelerfan
05-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I assumed the vBScomments was something I shouldn't see. If it has no functionality, you may want to remove it. I love doing/seeing things I'm not supposed to. Ha! So, I'll keep trying.

I noticed the same thing about the avatars, it's a non-issue to me.

What I'm most pleased with is that the whole site appears to be fully functional on the PS3 browser, which is a big deal to me. I do 98% of my surfing on the PS3.

cdj
05-12-2010, 11:14 AM
What I'm most pleased with is that the whole site appears to be fully functional on the PS3 browser, which is a big deal to me. I do 98% of my surfing on the PS3.

Oh wow, that's great. What about the video in this post: http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?135-New-Video-Shows-More-of-the-120-Ways-to-Win

I'm guessing that may be giving you fits.

cdj
05-12-2010, 11:16 AM
But maybe you could let new users who sign up in the first month or so use one just for being here at the start or something? I don't know if it's possible to distinguish that based on when people register.

Something weird is happening here as I'm trying to reply. when I track my mouse over the comment box it moves the cursor around the text. Dunno if that might be the site or just my comp or what. It's scrolling the window up and down and sometimes changes the cursor location.

That might be a good idea. Let members in the first month have a custom avatar or maybe allow new members to have a custom one, but it will be small in size.

I haven't had that reply issue, but what browser are you using?

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
That might be a good idea. Let members in the first month have a custom avatar or maybe allow new members to have a custom one, but it will be small in size.

I haven't had that reply issue, but what browser are you using?

Internet Explorer... it's not doing it now, but I'll keep an eye out for it again.

Yeah and on the Avatar, it's not a big deal... Letting anyone have one might cut down on your subscribers, so you wouldn't wanna do that.

A couple other things i just noticed...

-When I click on podcasts on the top of the home page it says I don't have permisson to access that page. Dunno if that's what you intended or not.

-Also, when I click on a thread title in the recent activity widget, it takes me to the first post in the tread. Perhaps it would be best if it took me to the most recent one instead? Just a thought.

steelerfan
05-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Oh wow, that's great. What about the video in this post: http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?135-New-Video-Shows-More-of-the-120-Ways-to-Win

I'm guessing that may be giving you fits.

The video is there and it plays, but it is tiny and doesn't appear to be able to be "full screened".

Also, just FYI, everything I've done so far (registering, posting, editing my profile, accepting friend requests etc.) has been done with my PS3 and/or BlackBerry. Very good news to me!

When I click on "Podcasts" from the "Home" screen, I get a "you don't have permission" message. Thought it may be because there are no Podcasts, but thought I should pass it along in case.

steelerfan
05-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Also, I agree that the widgets are great.

cdj
05-12-2010, 11:33 AM
While there's nothing in there, you should be able to click on and view the Podcasts page. I'll keep looking into this. If you eventually get in, let me know.

cdj
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
The video is there and it plays, but it is tiny and doesn't appear to be able to be "full screened".

I've noticed that in Chrome the video plays full screen, but in FF it is tiny and leaves some coding underneath the video. It doesn't appear to be 100% compatible on all browsers.

JBHuskers
05-12-2010, 11:44 AM
First thread with multiple pages .... WOOOO!

steelerfan
05-12-2010, 11:47 AM
While there's nothing in there, you should be able to click on and view the Podcasts page. I'll keep looking into this. If you eventually get in, let me know.

I will let you know.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Haha NICE! Hey I can get into the podcast page now.

Any thoughts on this? (I wasn't sure if you saw this since i added it to my post using edit)

"When I click on a thread title in the recent activity widget, it takes me to the first post in the tread. Perhaps it would be best if it took me to the most recent one instead? Just a thought."

steelerfan
05-12-2010, 11:48 AM

We're burning up the interwebs here! Ha!

steelerfan
05-12-2010, 11:51 AM

OK, tried again and got in.

cdj
05-12-2010, 11:54 AM
"When I click on a thread title in the recent activity widget, it takes me to the first post in the tread. Perhaps it would be best if it took me to the most recent one instead? Just a thought."

I'm looking into that right now. Not sure it's possible, but I'll see what we can do. It's not looking like that is an option, unfortunately.

cdj
05-12-2010, 11:56 AM
OK, tried again and got in.

ADMINS - All I changed was selecting 'Add to Section Widget' - YES for it to work. I guess being on the navbar isn't enough, but being on the Section Widget keeps people from getting in.

Weird, but thanks for finding that. There's some 'unique' things that go on with vBulletin. I love it, but sometimes it's weird.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Another thing I've noticed is that the writing that displays over top of the banner at the top of the site is really hard to make out when it's in white text.

Rudy
05-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Site looks really good. I'll have to reserve full comments until I check it out from home since some images and things are blocked at work.

cdj
05-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Another thing I've noticed is that the writing that displays over top of the banner at the top of the site is really hard to make out when it's in white text.

That image is just a placeholder. The first one I made was just of the Tebow cover so it was all white and you couldn't see any of the text. :) I then whipped this one up but made sure to put some darker colors on that side. We're looking to get a banner with a legit site image/logo. I think Tommy is going to work on that and maybe down the line we have a contest for site members to try and make one for us. I was wondering what you guys would think of that text, so I appreciate you mentioning that.

Rudy
05-12-2010, 12:09 PM
One thing I notice (maybe it's my crappy IE6 at work) is the the online green button seems to cover up the last letter of a user's name. Any way to tweak that? cdj looks like cj + green button to me.

cdj
05-12-2010, 12:14 PM
One thing I notice (maybe it's my crappy IE6 at work) is the the online green button seems to cover up the last letter of a user's name. Any way to tweak that? cdj looks like cj + green button to me.

Just checked on FF & IE8 and it shows up fine. Let me know how it looks on your home CPU. I'm thinking it's just IE6.

texacotea
05-12-2010, 12:14 PM

Maybe just IE6, works fine on IE8. The video also plays small for me in IE8, would give me the option to make it full screen but never would.
Will have to give it a good examination when I get home, too many eyes look around here for me to gander at it all. But looks great so far

cdj
05-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Going back to stuff on page 1:

- Registered users can now upload a custom avatar (80 x 80)
- Sigs are currently disabled (so Kwizzy, don't make any changes or you will lose yours).

We'll let you guys play around a day or two with the current level of access then bump it up and give you more to play with. We want to make sure you've broken this level first. ;)

Rudy
05-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah, IE6 sucks but it's all I can use at work. I use FF at home.

cdj
05-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah, IE6 sucks but it's all I can use at work. I use FF at home.

Understandable. I think JB uses Netscape at his workplace. :p

JBHuskers
05-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Yep it's just IE6 which is what I have at work too. Finally updating to IE8 but not til Oct. There will be a few things you notice that won't look right (i.e. quoted posts).

Rudy
05-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Is there a way to link your blog comments to the forums? It seems you could have two similar discussions going on at the same time or am I just confused?

Example:
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?135-New-Video-Shows-More-of-the-120-Ways-to-Win

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?54-What-120-Ways-to-Win-Means-in-NCAA-Football-11

cdj
05-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Is there a way to link your blog comments to the forums? It seems you could have two similar discussions going on at the same time or am I just confused?

Example:
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?135-New-Video-Shows-More-of-the-120-Ways-to-Win

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?54-What-120-Ways-to-Win-Means-in-NCAA-Football-11

Ahhhh....you found it. The comments on the main page ARE the same as comments in the thread (or should be).

Theoretically, a person can take part in all the NCAA discussion and never leave the front page. That should make the site be more appealing to people who like news, but not necessarily forums.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Isn't that the same conversation just displayed differently?

steelerfan
05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm looking into that right now. Not sure it's possible, but I'll see what we can do. It's not looking like that is an option, unfortunately.

For me, on PS3, if I click on the title I go to the first post. If i click on the poster or thread starter's name, I go to their profile. If i click on the little arrows, I go to the last page. That seems good to me.

Rudy
05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I stand corrected. The look threw me off.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 12:33 PM
CDJ I've noticed that the friend's activity widget hasn't updated with any of the posts you guys have made here at all... The recent activity one is working fine but shouldn't the friends activity one display any posts you & JB make? Or does it just do threads you've started?

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 12:34 PM
For me, on PS3, if I click on the title I go to the first post. If i click on the poster or thread starter's name, I go to their profile. If i click on the little arrows, I go to the last page. That seems good to me.

Nice! Yeah that works just fine. I thought there HAD to be a way.

cdj
05-12-2010, 12:39 PM
CDJ I've noticed that the friend's activity widget hasn't updated with any of the posts you guys have made here at all... The recent activity one is working fine but shouldn't the friends activity one display any posts you & JB make? Or does it just do threads you've started?

Just changed some settings. LMK what you think now.

JBHuskers
05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Understandable. I think JB uses Netscape at his workplace. :p

Netscape is pretty close. It might be Prodigy or Compuserve.

texacotea
05-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Just changed some settings. LMK what you think now.

shows it now, but still takes you to the first post of the thread. I really like the friend activity feature.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 01:03 PM
shows it now, but still takes you to the first post of the thread. I really like the friend activity feature.

Instead of clicking on the thread name, click on the little arrow by the user name, it'll take you to the last post.

Like the way that works now cdj, REALLY like that addition!

texacotea
05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Instead of clicking on the thread name, click on the little arrow by the user name, it'll take you to the last post.

Like the way that works now cdj, REALLY like that addition!

unless im clicking something wrong its still not working for me.

What is the community spotlight going to be about?

steelerfan
05-12-2010, 01:08 PM
cdj, when I just tried to edit my signature (which I know you said is off) at the bottom it showed all of the permissions and how they are set. And, unless I misunderstood, as you can see signatures are not off.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 01:19 PM
unless im clicking something wrong its still not working for me.

Ok yeah, cdj the little arrow works in the recent activity widget but not in the friends widget. It says "go to last post" when you mouse over it, but it still takes you to the first page of the thread.

cdj
05-12-2010, 02:11 PM

It will be a place where we have a brief Q&A with members of the community/site, highlight certain Online Dynasties, and maybe even feature special content written by site members.

cdj, when I just tried to edit my signature (which I know you said is off) at the bottom it showed all of the permissions and how they are set. And, unless I misunderstood, as you can see signatures are not off.

Weird...I flipped it back to off, so let's see if it stays off.

Ok yeah, cdj the little arrow works in the recent activity widget but not in the friends widget. It says "go to last post" when you mouse over it, but it still takes you to the first page of the thread.

That may be an error with vB. It says it should go to the last post and the address looks right, but it isn't.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 02:13 PM
For the record, you have utterly destoryed my productivity at work today! I hope you're happy! :)

Rudy
05-12-2010, 02:15 PM
For the record, you have utterly destoryed my productivity at work today! I hope you're happy! :)

Tell me about it. I'm unproductive enough as it is.
:)

cdj
05-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Ha! Glad to hear it. The feedback has been great and you guys are finding stuff we can't see on our end or wouldn't think of looking at. We really appreciate it.

texacotea
05-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Yes def. killed what I was doing at work now this will take up all the wifes time tonight and coming days

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Posted a comment/question in the assignment AI blog on the front page & at the top of the page it still says 0 comments, even though the comment is there below.

gschwendt
05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Posted a comment/question in the assignment AI blog on the front page & at the top of the page it still says 0 comments, even though the comment is there below.
If I remember and I read it correctly, I think that is somewhat intentional. It only updates those counts once every hour... it's designed to save on the server's resources. If you check it now, you'll see that there are two comments (yours and cdj's). Again I might be wrong on how that works but in any case, it will always take you to the comments that are there or you can view them in the thread style view.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 05:36 PM
gotcha, so it'll update that one at the top of the blog every hour or so?... just noticed it was different & thought i'd point it out.

How often do the widgets update?

gschwendt
05-12-2010, 05:41 PM
gotcha, so it'll update that one at the top of the blog every hour or so?... just noticed it was different & thought i'd point it out.

How often do the widgets update?
Ah, didn't realize that was the "Comments" you were looking at... I was looking at the home page which says 2. That might be something we need to look at but I'll try and keep and eye on it and see if updates or not.

Not sure about the widgets... are you noticing that they're not instant?

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 05:43 PM
I've noticed that in Chrome the video plays full screen, but in FF it is tiny and leaves some coding underneath the video. It doesn't appear to be 100% compatible on all browsers.

I'm using IE8 & the video is small & not able to do full-screen. Is that always just gonna be the case?

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Ah, didn't realize that was the "Comments" you were looking at... I was looking at the home page which says 2. That might be something we need to look at but I'll try and keep and eye on it and see if updates or not.

Not sure about the widgets... are you noticing that they're not instant?

Yeah, The friends one seems to be pretty good, but I've noticed a couple times that the recent activity one has taken awhile

Also, is the Off-Topic forum not monitored for the recent activity widget? Our movie discussion hasn't popped up there yet.

gschwendt
05-12-2010, 09:36 PM
For those of you that mentioned the 120 Ways to Win video shrinking down to real small, I've updated the article post to use a different embed code. If you would try it out again and let us know any feedback:

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Works great now for me

JeffHCross
05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Seems like the first post in every thread is getting considerably smaller margins than subsequent replies. Off the top of my head I can't think of what could cause this, unless carriage returns are being inserted by the actual post box itself.

( EDIT: Intriguing ... Quick Reply apparently does it as well. But yet, when I edited the post, the margins became normal. )

JeffHCross
05-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Test of "Reply to thread" box instead of "Quick Reply"

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nullam velit massa, facilisis ut interdum sit amet, interdum in mi. Vivamus erat nisi, vehicula tincidunt bibendum a, aliquet quis urna. Sed cursus blandit tellus, vel dapibus arcu suscipit ac. Donec hendrerit fringilla elementum. Donec molestie libero et neque semper eleifend. Duis tempus luctus suscipit. Vivamus sit amet magna tellus, in venenatis purus. Cras et eros at elit imperdiet convallis. Sed at augue mauris, non pharetra turpis. Ut libero nunc, volutpat quis ullamcorper a, vehicula eget urna. Vestibulum aliquam lobortis quam at vestibulum. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Phasellus vehicula dolor id eros elementum quis pellentesque sapien mollis. Quisque feugiat lobortis arcu, a molestie augue tempus mollis.

JeffHCross
05-12-2010, 10:13 PM
In addition to [TABLE] tags, we should get a [SPOILER] add-in for the forum as well.

Spoiler tag: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=181059 (for 3.7. Not sure if it will work on 4.0)

gschwendt
05-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Seems like the first post in every thread is getting considerably smaller margins than subsequent replies. Off the top of my head I can't think of what could cause this, unless carriage returns are being inserted by the actual post box itself.

( EDIT: Intriguing ... Quick Reply apparently does it as well. But yet, when I edited the post, the margins became normal. )

weird... I hadn't noticed it (since I'm on 1920x1080P) but now that you mention it, I see what you're talking about.

JeffHCross
05-12-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm only on 1280x800, so I would think it would be even more pronounced on your screen.

Weird thing is that my first post about it is switching between small margins and full width margins depending on edits and refresh. Every time I edit it looks okay. Once I refresh again, it returns to the small margins.

JeffHCross
05-12-2010, 10:20 PM
And, of course, there's nothing noticeably different in the HTML source for either post. :(

JeffHCross
05-12-2010, 11:06 PM
User Name Last Activity Location
cdj 12:02 AM Viewing Index The Gaming Tailgate Forums
gschwendt 12:04 AM Viewing Index The Gaming Tailgate Forums
JeffHCross 12:04 AM Viewing Index The Gaming Tailgate ForumsExciting lives. We lead them.

gschwendt
05-12-2010, 11:07 PM
User Name Last Activity Location
cdj 12:02 AM Viewing Index The Gaming Tailgate Forums
gschwendt 12:04 AM Viewing Index The Gaming Tailgate Forums
JeffHCross 12:04 AM Viewing Index The Gaming Tailgate ForumsExciting lives. We lead them.
Well, our excuse is that we're working on the site (me particularly the header image which I'd love feedback from everyone). What's your excuse? :)

JeffHCross
05-12-2010, 11:10 PM
... I don't want to go to bed?

I liked the original header that was there, though I did comment to Chris that we needed something that incorporated the site name and that the top-right navigation was useless with the original header.

Perhaps something that uses both? Use the current header, but incorporate a faded / semi-transparent version of the old header with the various NCAA images?

JeffHCross
05-12-2010, 11:11 PM
What's the Community Spotlight section going to be for?

cdj
05-12-2010, 11:27 PM
What's the Community Spotlight section going to be for?

Q&A with community members, spotlight Online Dynasties, showcase guides/video strategies from the community.

JeffHCross
05-12-2010, 11:36 PM
On another note, it seems that I get logged out of the site pretty quickly after I navigate away. As I am using Chrome, I must say that I don't normally have to add any kind of Cookies to remain logged into sites anymore ... it just happens.

steelerfan
05-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Good to know that I'm the only drunk bastard looking at this (for research purposes of course) at 249 am CST on a Thursday.

steelerfan
05-13-2010, 02:51 AM
BTW, it's good to see JHC in here!

texacotea
05-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Header looks good I like the simplicity of it but I will say that Hank hill would not approve of that grill.....

Kwizzy
05-13-2010, 06:20 AM
Wow, you guys are troopers. Maybe I need an excuse for NOT being on here past midnight! Lets see... Oh I've got it, this stupid ass job I've got makes me be here at O'Dark-Thirty every damn morning! :D

I'm with Jeff on the top banner, I think that's a pretty good start but a little plain. If you could do something like he was saying & incorporate some faded images that don't wash out the site name I think that would be pretty sweet.

Kwizzy
05-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Just noticed something. When I comment on one of the blog posts on the front page it returns me to the first page of comments. I dunno if that's the way you want it or not but it might be nice to have it stay on the page of comments where you posted if possible.

cdj
05-13-2010, 08:47 AM
I hope this works.

Kwizzy
05-13-2010, 08:54 AM
looks good to me

cdj
05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Spoilers and Table now installed.

I'll let a Table expert test it out.

gschwendt
05-13-2010, 09:37 AM
title 1|title 2
cell 1|cell 2
cell 3|cell 4

Simple but effective

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-13-2010, 03:40 PM
the notification buttons are too bland, forums with threads that have new posts are hard to identify from the front page...

just a heads up... im sure these will be customized at some point, (would love to do them for free with whatever you guys want) but just letting you know

"E"

Iron Dragon
05-13-2010, 06:08 PM
The site looks good, only problem I had was not being able to pick Iron Dragon as a username for some reason.

cdj
05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
The site looks good, only problem I had was not being able to pick Iron Dragon as a username for some reason.

Did you try putting in a space or underscore for it? I can go in and make it Iron Dragon if you want.

Iron Dragon
05-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Did you try putting in a space or underscore for it? I can go in and make it Iron Dragon if you want.

Yes, I put it in as Iron Dragon, and it said something about how this username was unavailable or did not meet the Administrator's standards (or something like that). I would like it to be changed to Iron Dragon (Without an underscore).

Thanks.

JeffHCross
05-13-2010, 09:20 PM
My guess would be it blanched at having a space in the name. Should be a setting that CDJ can fix for the future.

I agree with PISTOL about the Notifications. I like the muted color scheme, but it is difficult to pick up on new stuff at first.

JeffHCross
05-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey CDJ, G ... could I get a short summary of where you guys have posted about the site? I recognize various guys, but I seem to have missed where they came from ...

Just wondering if things are more public than I thought.

Rudy
05-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I do like the clean white look. I also believe in the KISS system. It's pretty easy to navigate and find what you want. The What's New button is good to find new topics. The Quick Links menu gets you to subscribed threads although it would be nice if there was an auto-subscribe option for threads you post in like OS has. That may be software specific and I have no clue on that but I do like that feature.

JeffHCross
05-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Spoilers and Table now installed.

I'll let a Table expert test it out.Something's decidedly different about the Tables code between Utopia and here.

Here: http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?74-Tailgate-Teambuilder-Directory
Utopia: http://www.ncaastrategies.com/utopia/showthread.php?t=67247

I do prefer how our tables work out for my SPD research, though:
Here: http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?78-Converting-40-times-to-NCAA-10-SPD&p=485#post485
Utopia: http://www.ncaastrategies.com/utopia/showpost.php?p=2329814&postcount=12

JeffHCross
05-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Rudy, I like KISS too, but you still have to have an interface that is user-friendly. Simple doesn't always mean bland, it also means simple functionality. If it's not easy for the end user, it's not simple.

although it would be nice if there was an auto-subscribe option for threads you post in like OS has. That may be software specificIt is, and it's available. Go to your Settings (top right link) then "General Settings". Change your Default Thread Subscription Mode.

Rudy
05-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks. I'm probably missing out on that option at other sites too.

JeffHCross
05-13-2010, 10:30 PM
I hope they plan on customizing that skin a little. That skin screams half-assed forum that is going to die out in a few months.

I realize vbulletin is vbulletin, but I'm on a few other forums and any customization you do to make it not look like a vanilla vb install goes a long way. Utopia has a unique look.

I'm sure they plan on doing something. I don't want to sign up just to comment about it and have it look like I am just harassing them though [laugh]I happen to agree with him (sheepish face)

cdj
05-13-2010, 10:38 PM
We'll definitely be customizing the skin. The site is a WIP, but any and all feedback is welcome.

JeffHCross
05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
I'd like to see Sports Discussion broken into "College Sports Discussion" and "Pro Sports Discussion". Otherwise I see individual threads getting quickly lost in the shuffle, especially once the football season hits full swing.

gschwendt
05-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Hey CDJ, G ... could I get a short summary of where you guys have posted about the site? I recognize various guys, but I seem to have missed where they came from ...

Just wondering if things are more public than I thought.We have not advertised the site anywhere.

steelerfan
05-14-2010, 12:41 AM
For me personally, I don't care what the forum looks like. If it's functional and has the content I'm looking for (like 3 admins who were at the CD event) presented in a way I can enjoy, I won't think it screams half-ass or will die off quick. Content feeds the animal and this forum is sure to be on the leading edge with guys running it.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-14-2010, 08:32 AM
i agree with that... but i do alot of browsing from my phone... so when i am on the go, in the office, at lunch, whatever.... and pulling this up even on my droid, its bland enough to make me squint... i may just do some design and message the links to the guys, they dont like it trash it... i wont cry... too much lol

but yeah i like the easy organized access to latest info here, no bouncing around from section to section to finally get to a link to a video...

"E"

Rudy
05-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I was wondering if you could add something to the quick links - a list of all forum topics in the last 24 hours. The "What's New" is good but a 24 hour list (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily) of topics as a quick search link might be nice.

gschwendt
05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I was wondering if you could add something to the quick links - a list of all forum topics in the last 24 hours. The "What's New" is good but a 24 hour list (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily) of topics as a quick search link might be nice.Do you want forum topics that were active in the past 24 hours or topics that were created in the past 24 hours?

Rudy
05-14-2010, 04:09 PM
I'd say any forum topic that was active in the past 24 hours. Do you like the idea or a derivative of it?

gschwendt
05-14-2010, 04:15 PM
I'd say any forum topic that was active in the past 24 hours. Do you like the idea or a derivative of it?
Yeah... I do. I think we can easily modify the links that appear under the Whats New and just simply add it there. We'll see if we can get it worked out.

UGA14
05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
I like reading on my phone too, unfortunately BlackBerry's browser cannot really handle anything so I use BerryBlab, but it has to be installed on the forums to work.

Other than that, I like the forum design. It's clean and easy... which is all it needs to be.

The changes I think would be beneficial would be to change the colors when new posts are made in sections of the forum etc. What I mean is right now you have a light blue like color when there is not a new post and a darker blue where a new post has been made. However, I think the colors kind of flow together too closely and it is hard to tell. Maybe use a more prominent color for new posts... like red.

gschwendt
05-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah... I do. I think we can easily modify the links that appear under the Whats New and just simply add it there. We'll see if we can get it worked out.
Done... "Today's Posts" now appears under the Forum tab as well as the What's New tab. As requested, the link will display topics that were active in the past 24 hours. Let me know any feedback.

Rudy
05-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Very nice update G. I've seen you guys have a Twitter account too.

http://twitter.com/gamingtailgate

Rudy
05-14-2010, 07:29 PM
I may be blind but I do see blog options on the site but have no idea where I would write one if I wanted to lol. A little help for future reference?

JeffHCross
05-14-2010, 10:55 PM
I believe writing a blog is tied to subscribing.

On that topic, the home page is still broken for subscribers :p

cdj
05-15-2010, 07:37 PM
On another note, it seems that I get logged out of the site pretty quickly after I navigate away. As I am using Chrome, I must say that I don't normally have to add any kind of Cookies to remain logged into sites anymore ... it just happens.

Are you still having this issue?

the notification buttons are too bland, forums with threads that have new posts are hard to identify from the front page...

just a heads up... im sure these will be customized at some point, (would love to do them for free with whatever you guys want) but just letting you know

"E"

This seems to be the biggest issue people have with the site right now. If you want to whip something up, we'll be more than glad to consider using it and that offer goes for everyone on any site aspect.

I'd like to see Sports Discussion broken into "College Sports Discussion" and "Pro Sports Discussion". Otherwise I see individual threads getting quickly lost in the shuffle, especially once the football season hits full swing.

Will get to that shortly. Good idea.

i agree with that... but i do alot of browsing from my phone... so when i am on the go, in the office, at lunch, whatever.... and pulling this up even on my droid, its bland enough to make me squint... i may just do some design and message the links to the guys, they dont like it trash it... i wont cry... too much lol

but yeah i like the easy organized access to latest info here, no bouncing around from section to section to finally get to a link to a video...

"E"

I like reading on my phone too, unfortunately BlackBerry's browser cannot really handle anything so I use BerryBlab, but it has to be installed on the forums to work.

Other than that, I like the forum design. It's clean and easy... which is all it needs to be.

The changes I think would be beneficial would be to change the colors when new posts are made in sections of the forum etc. What I mean is right now you have a light blue like color when there is not a new post and a darker blue where a new post has been made. However, I think the colors kind of flow together too closely and it is hard to tell. Maybe use a more prominent color for new posts... like red.

What can we do to help make the site more appealing for those on BlackBerry, iPhone, etc.? I don't have a fancy phone, so the guys that do will have to guide the discussion on how it looks and what we can do.

I believe writing a blog is tied to subscribing.

On that topic, the home page is still broken for subscribers :p

Like JHC said, currently the Blog feature is available for Subscribers. We're continuing to look at what we can offer Subscribers and what we should also offer to long-term or regular site members.

And are you still having that homepage issue?

joshuahuskers
05-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Is there a link to subscribe? Am I missing it somewhere? I'd like to donate to the cause.. :)

JeffHCross
05-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Are you still having this issue?Have to get back to you on that one. Noticed it earlier today again, but upon this return trip I was recognized.

And are you still having that homepage issue?Yep.

If I have the motivation tomorrow I might tinker with some notification icons.

JeffHCross
05-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Is there a link to subscribe? Am I missing it somewhere? I'd like to donate to the cause.. :)Check your User Settings (top right link). It's somewhere on that menu ... "Paid Subscriptions", or something like that.

joshuahuskers
05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Check your User Settings (top right link). It's somewhere on that menu ... "Paid Subscriptions", or something like that.

Found it! Thank you very much :D

champ195797
05-15-2010, 08:13 PM
will there be podcast

cdj
05-15-2010, 08:14 PM
will there be podcast

Yep, we hope to get a show or two recorded soon.

joshuahuskers
05-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Yep, we hope to get a show or two recorded soon.

Sweet! looking forward to it!

Rudy
05-16-2010, 05:32 AM
Is there a link to subscribe? Am I missing it somewhere? I'd like to donate to the cause.. :)

Yeah, that was hard to find until pointed out. Maybe they need to add a "Become a Donator" link somewhere.

Flav
05-16-2010, 12:50 PM
If there is anything you guys would like done on the new forum skin please don't hesitate to tell me. :)

Jayrah
05-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Is there a way you could set up a non-paypal subscription. I'm down for donating too, but would like to not do paypal if at all possible. Thanks guys

steelerfan
05-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Is there a way you could set up a non-paypal subscription. I'm down for donating too, but would like to not do paypal if at all possible. Thanks guys

I was gonna ask the exact same question.

cdj
05-16-2010, 05:33 PM

I was gonna ask the exact same question.

Are you guys looking for a way to pay cash or money order? If that works for you, PM me and I'll send you my snail mail address.

Rudy
05-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Is the Home page down right now? I can't access it. It says I don't have permission to see it.

cdj
05-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Is the Home page down right now? I can't access it. It says I don't have permission to see it.

I think I figured it out. Let me know if you run into this error again.

Rudy
05-16-2010, 06:55 PM
It works now. Whatever you did fixed it.

JeffHCross
05-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Fixed here too. Thanks cdj.

'Bout time!

cdj
05-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Fixed here too. Thanks cdj.

'Bout time!

:) Better late than never, right? It was a simple fix, thankfully.

JeffHCross
05-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Have to get back to you on that one. Noticed it earlier today again, but upon this return trip I was recognized.
cdj, it looks like it's good. I've been recognized every time since your post.

JeffHCross
05-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Do you want forum topics that were active in the past 24 hours or topics that were created in the past 24 hours?Where'd the "Today's Posts" link go?

Flav
05-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Where'd the "Today's Posts" link go?

Thats at the top I'm guessing. "What's New"

Rudy
05-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Where'd the "Today's Posts" link go?

That disappeared for me when using the Big Blue skin (which seems to be for 4:3 monitors). If you switch back to the default skin it comes back at the top.

JeffHCross
05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Yep, that was it. Not particularly surprising that it's skin unique.

Thats at the top I'm guessing. "What's New"What's New defaults to "New Posts", which is since last visit.

gschwendt
05-17-2010, 11:05 PM
I'll work on adding it to the Big Blue skin... as well I'll see if there's a way to have it automatically applicable to any and all future skins but can't guarantee anything.

JeffHCross
05-17-2010, 11:29 PM
That was one of the most annoying parts of running a forum. Whenever I actually wanted to change the skin, I'd have to dive deep in the code .. and then remember it for another other skin.

Rudy
05-18-2010, 05:28 AM
I just noticed the BBQ logo now shows up in my bookmarks next to the link to the site. Nice.

Kwizzy
05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I can't see the entire width of the pictures posted in the dynasty blog for some reason. It cuts off a bit of the right side of the pics for some reason. :confused:

For instance, in the top picture, I can't see anything left of the miami logo in the upper right corner.

Anyone else notice this?

gschwendt
05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I can't see the entire width of the pictures posted in the dynasty blog for some reason. It cuts off a bit of the right side of the pics for some reason. :confused:

For instance, in the top picture, I can't see anything left of the miami logo in the upper right corner.

Anyone else notice this?Yeah... it has to do with the width of the page on this new template. It's still a work in progress but if you want to switch to the Default template, you should see everything.

I OU a Beatn
05-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Is the first post of every page suppose to have really, really short text borders? On my computer, the text on the first post of each thread is like half of what the rest of the posts are no matter how much you type. It'll wrap it to the next line after like 15 words. Sorry if it was already brought up.

Rudy
05-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Well somehow my work's Websense already categorized this website as a gaming website and I can't view it at work anymore. :( You guys won't be seeing me during the day but I'll still chime in early in the morning and at night when I can.

JeffHCross
05-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Is the first post of every page suppose to have really, really short text borders? On my computer, the text on the first post of each thread is like half of what the rest of the posts are no matter how much you type. It'll wrap it to the next line after like 15 words. Sorry if it was already brought up.Yeah, I caught that the first night the site was up. Don't think anyone's had a chance to dive into it. It also occasionally happens with full replies.

Jayrah
05-19-2010, 02:48 AM
Well somehow my work's Websense already categorized this website as a gaming website and I can't view it at work anymore. :( You guys won't be seeing me during the day but I'll still chime in early in the morning and at night when I can.

Ah man, that's too bad. Sorry dude. Gives you something to look forward too though.

BTW this site is VERY WELL done. Navigation is quite a bit faster and easier than the others. Still works in progress, and still early in how many threads and all that, but the start is awesome. Thanks for taking the time guys. Also by the way CDJ I'm sending that mail soon as I get paid! :) This is WELL worth subscription for me. I'm in here like 15 times a day haha. (feels like it)

Plus, all the guys in here so far are great! Very good discussion!

Schauwn
05-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Dont know if this is already mentioned but it'd be convenient to have the forum "map" (forgive my ignorance but I dont know if thats the right word) but where it says "forum -> other discussion -> off topic discussion -> forum feedback", is there a way to have that at the bottom of the forum. usually i just scroll down to read the last post on the page and it would be easier to nav back to the forum with this. i know there is the 'quick nav' option, just seeing if this was a possibility...

Schauwn
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
sorry to double post, but I'm also having an issue with the symbols next to the forums. It'll show there is an unread post in a forum, I'll go read it, and when I get back to the forum main page, it'll still say there is an unread post there, and when I click on it there is nothing new...dont know if this has already been adressed, sorry if it has...

Deuce
05-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Mine too. I was really hoping I could get on at work since this site is so new. I've gotta use my iPhone now.

Can't you guys just rename the site 'thetailgate.com'? :-)

JeffHCross
05-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah, well, then your work would probably classify it as "alcohol".

My personal favorite at work is the classification of the rock music station I used to listen to in Charlotte, 106.5 WEND. I think the classification is something along the lines of "Adult Content / Alcohol / Music Streaming". For a public, over the air radio station. It's fully accurate, but still.

I'm actually shocked my work allows me to get to it. But it may have something to do with the fact that you two have already had it categorized. Because my work blocks any site that isn't categorized, so I was expecting to see "unknown content".

JeffHCross
05-19-2010, 10:04 PM
sorry to double post, but I'm also having an issue with the symbols next to the forums. It'll show there is an unread post in a forum, I'll go read it, and when I get back to the forum main page, it'll still say there is an unread post there, and when I click on it there is nothing new...dont know if this has already been adressed, sorry if it has...Sometimes this happens. It's been a problem with vBulletin (and many other forums) for as long as I've used them. It's a cookies thing that causes issues.

One way to combat it is to ensure that you're returning to the front page via links (like the Forums link at the top) rather than through the Back button. Going "Back" won't always update cached images.

Schauwn
05-20-2010, 08:52 AM
thats what I do, I've found that if i go backwards one level at a time, it keeps this problem from happening. like i cant jump back to the main forum page, i just have to go up one level at a time...

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-20-2010, 10:05 AM
cdj, are you getting my PM's? and do you have any messenger at all?

"E"

JBHuskers
05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I just noticed the BBQ logo now shows up in my bookmarks next to the link to the site. Nice.

Yep! Big thanks to Violator for setting that up for us.

JeffHCross
05-20-2010, 10:36 AM
thats what I do, I've found that if i go backwards one level at a time, it keeps this problem from happening. like i cant jump back to the main forum page, i just have to go up one level at a time...My method, and I don't necissarily say this is good but it works for me ... I'm a very Tab-happy browser. I use Chromium and just open tabs left and right. So what I'll do is open up a particular part of the forum and just open every thread I'm interested in as a new tab. Then I'll close that forum. That way I know if there aren't any newer posts in that forum when I'm done, I've read everything I care about.

I also do the same thing with the "New Posts" search and then Mark the entire forum as Read when done. It works pretty effectively at cutting out the things I'm not interested in.

Schauwn
05-20-2010, 10:41 AM
I have an OCD like effect and have to read all the new posts...so I click around constantly making sure new posts havent been posted and if they have I go to them just to get the icon to change...

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-20-2010, 08:17 PM
would be nice to have a chat feature on the site... be great to say something that could be important, but not forum worthy, or feel like waiting on PM...

"E"

texacotea
05-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Chat would be nice...or something like OS has

JeffHCross
05-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Agree to disagree. Chat features on forums have never worked well on any forum I've been part of. Except for very special events ... like a forum chat during the Super Bowl. But chats that are open 24x7 have never worked well.

texacotea
05-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Agree to disagree. Chat features on forums have never worked well on any forum I've been part of. Except for very special events ... like a forum chat during the Super Bowl. But chats that are open 24x7 have never worked well.

This does make sense, something that would be on and wouldnt be used half the time. What about the friend thing that OS has or facebook. A friend IM.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-20-2010, 09:03 PM
ive never signed up for OS, so i dont know much of what they have...

"E"

texacotea
05-20-2010, 09:08 PM
an IM feature on the bottom right of just your friends. maybe something subscribers have?

Rudy
05-20-2010, 09:21 PM
I hate chat features on forums and I don't want people bothering me while I'm trying to read lol.

Solidice
05-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I hate chat features on forums and I don't want people bothering me while I'm trying to read lol.

don't remind me. last year, leading up to NCAA 10, a ton of people would add me to their OS friends list and asked me a ton of question about NCAA like I had the game or something. I had to disable the IM thing to avoid it. lol

there were a few times were I left Firefox open on the OS site and when I came back I had like 10+ message box open with people asking me crap. :mad:

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-20-2010, 10:49 PM
yeah... so... uhhh... how about that weather... ::crickets::

R.I.P. forum chat suggestion you bunch of 45 lol

"E"

JeffHCross
05-20-2010, 11:29 PM
an IM feature on the bottom right of just your friends. maybe something subscribers have?It's Meebo (http://www.meebo.com/), right?

JBHuskers
05-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah I'm not so much of a fan of the IM on here.....PM's are good enough. Have to see what Chris and Tommy think...not sure of their stance on it.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Yeah I'm not so much of a fan of the IM on here.....PM's are good enough. Have to see what Chris and Tommy think...not sure of their stance on it.

no big deal... its not popular with everyone, so pass on that so you guys can focus on better things...

"E"

Jayrah
05-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Yeah I'm not so much of a fan of the IM on here.....PM's are good enough.

Agree, to agree! :)

texacotea
05-21-2010, 06:01 AM

Your ***....it was just a suggestion ;)

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Your ***....it was just a suggestion ;)

yeah... all of you can eat it... lol

"E"

Rudy
05-21-2010, 06:48 PM
don't remind me. last year, leading up to NCAA 10, a ton of people would add me to their OS friends list and asked me a ton of question about NCAA like I had the game or something. I had to disable the IM thing to avoid it. lol

there were a few times were I left Firefox open on the OS site and when I came back I had like 10+ message box open with people asking me crap. :mad:

Everytime I go on OS from home I have to sign off the stupid chat. I want to disable it but my wife likes Messenger on for when her parents call through the cpu. Can I get rid of the meebo on OS without hurting that? I'm clueless.

Rudy
05-21-2010, 07:06 PM
I must say that now that I can't check the site out at work, there are periods of 12 hours where I don't check in. When I do check in, the "first unread post" link often takes me past posts I haven't read before. I'm not sure why it's doing that.

Solidice
05-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Everytime I go on OS from home I have to sign off the stupid chat. I want to disable it but my wife likes Messenger on for when her parents call through the cpu. Can I get rid of the meebo on OS without hurting that? I'm clueless.

yeah, I think there in an option in the user CP that will allow you to disable it.

Jayrah
05-22-2010, 03:22 AM
yeah... all of you can eat it... lol

"E"

Where are you getting your smileys you dork?

Rudy
05-22-2010, 06:04 AM
yeah, I think there in an option in the user CP that will allow you to disable it.

Yes! I'm free!

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Where are you getting your smileys you dork?

they are emoticons that i used to have available on my old site...

"E"

JeffHCross
05-22-2010, 10:59 AM
One change I'd like to see on the front page, if it's possible ... the "My Friend's Activity" panel on the right side shows a post, then the date, then the thread. I think it would make more sense (and be more obvious) if the thread was first, then the post, then the date.

steelerfan
05-22-2010, 11:46 AM
One change I'd like to see on the front page, if it's possible ... the "My Friend's Activity" panel on the right side shows a post, then the date, then the thread. I think it would make more sense (and be more obvious) if the thread was first, then the post, then the date.

I agree. It's almost disorienting.

Jayrah
05-22-2010, 09:23 PM

+2 that kinda got me too

I OU a Beatn
05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
I keep getting a weird error whenever I try to input my PSN tag in my profile. It keeps saying "You did not enter the correct format for the PSN ID field. Please read the field description for the expected format" even though I'm typing it in exactly how I have it formatted in real life. :D

cdj
05-22-2010, 09:39 PM
IOU - Try now and see if it works.

I OU a Beatn
05-22-2010, 09:41 PM
There we go, it went through this time. Thanks!

cdj
05-22-2010, 09:42 PM
There we go, it went through this time. Thanks!

No problem. Thanks for the heads-up on it.

BTW, If you click on the icon, you will pull up the gamercard for each system. Pretty neat feature IMO.

Thanks to Violator for his help on getting us hooked up with it.

Jayrah
05-22-2010, 09:43 PM
No problem. Thanks for the heads-up on it.

BTW, If you click on the icon, you will pull up the gamercard for each system. Pretty neat feature IMO.

Thanks to Violator for his help on getting us hooked up with it.

Oh that's cool!

I OU a Beatn
05-22-2010, 09:45 PM
That's a great feature, I had no idea. That will help with the Trophy whore leaderboard. :p

JeffHCross
05-22-2010, 10:39 PM
That's a great feature, I had no idea. That will help with the Trophy whore leaderboard. :p

Thanks to Violator for his help on getting us hooked up with it.Hmm ... something from Violator that will help with the Trophy Whore leaderboard. Shock!

cdj
05-22-2010, 11:27 PM

I dislike that as well. From what I can tell, there's not an option to fix that - may take some deeper work, but I definitely agree with you guys on that.

JeffHCross
05-22-2010, 11:42 PM
This might give you an idea where to look: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?335266-My-Friends-Activity-Question-about-the-template-php

cdj
05-22-2010, 11:46 PM
I have it almost figured out as you can tell by the front page (if on Default template). Need to get name/date at bottom and we'll be set.

EDIT - Or do you guys like it the way it is? Shows friend/date/time; then thread title; then post.

JeffHCross
05-22-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm seeing title, date, post. That looks great to me. It could either be that or title, post, date. Both would work, but the current method probably covers it.

cdj
05-22-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm seeing title, date, post. That looks great to me. It could either be that or title, post, date. Both would work, but the current method probably covers it.

It is showing up different now than it did two minutes ago. Now looks perfect to me, but I'll let you guys be the judge. It's a step up, that's for sure.

steelerfan
05-23-2010, 12:00 AM
I have it almost figured out as you can tell by the front page (if on Default template). Need to get name/date at bottom and we'll be set.

EDIT - Or do you guys like it the way it is? Shows friend/date/time; then thread title; then post.

Much better and no longer "disorienting". Any change to the order is fine as long as the Thread Title is up top.

JeffHCross
05-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Still seeing what I saw 10 minutes ago, and still looks good.

steelerfan
05-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Actually, for me personally, the format of the Recent Activity Widget (no text from the post) is still better (less messy). May be just me though, others may like seeing some of the text, idk.

I will say this: I really like that there is a friend widget in the first place. There are certain guys whose posts you don't want to miss because they usually have some very informative stuff. This will make them so much easier to spot when the site gets bigger.

Jayrah
05-23-2010, 02:45 AM
Actually, for me personally, the format of the Recent Activity Widget (no text from the post) is still better (less messy). May be just me though, others may like seeing some of the text, idk.

I will say this: I really like that there is a friend widget in the first place. There are certain guys whose posts you don't want to miss because they usually have some very informative stuff. This will make them so much easier to spot when the site gets bigger.

Agree 100%. Nicely done on the widget cdj.

Flav
05-23-2010, 09:05 AM
We need some new smilies :)

JeffHCross
05-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Like what?

Flav
05-23-2010, 09:33 AM
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178250 :)

JeffHCross
05-23-2010, 09:38 AM
From the comments, they're similar to Invision's, which if memory serves is very similar to the Ikonboard smilies we recently put on this page. If so, I approve.

In fact, those may have been Invision smilies, since I had an Invision board before my Ikonboard :)

JeffHCross
05-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Mods, you're welcome for the extra work (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?161-Tailgate-XBL-PSN-ID-Thread).

Jayrah
05-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm sure this has been noticed, but why do quotes go so far down on the page? A lot of unnecessary blank space at the top of quoted messages. It's just a little thing, but would save space, particularly on a smaller laptop (like I have) to have to scroll through. I'm on a standard cpu now, and it's the same.

JeffHCross
05-23-2010, 10:44 PM
What browser are you using? Quotes look fine to me.

Solidice
05-23-2010, 10:48 PM
yeah, the quotes look fine to me. Firefox 3.6.3 on WinXP.

Jayrah
05-24-2010, 03:11 AM
Uh, must have been the internet explorer at work that was funky. It's fine on my firefox on my laptop I guess. Ok, so no problem there (at least on firefox). haha, I was just gonna come in here and say "you fixed it". But alas.

jaymo76
05-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Can we "borrow" the countdown clock from NCAA Strategies??? I love to see how many days we have until release...

JeffHCross
05-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Countdown Timer (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115031&highlight=User+Countdown+Timer)
Add-on for countdown timers in Signatures ... lmao (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107596)

Keontez
05-29-2010, 06:25 AM
Suggestion: Can we separate the X's and O's and sliders? I know how it gets when the game comes out when everybody comes out with their personal offenses and defense AND sliders. its going to get pretty confusing if we keep it like that.

Rudy
05-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Suggestion: Can we separate the X's and O's and sliders? I know how it gets when the game comes out when everybody comes out with their personal offenses and defense AND sliders. its going to get pretty confusing if we keep it like that.

I'll have to disagree on this one. I think a cleaner look to a forum is essential. If you starting having too many forums and sub-forums a site can get confusing. Even on a huge site like OS there aren't that many active slider threads so I don't think this will be a problem. One of the things I didn't like about Utopia was the massive amount of forums and sub forums. Maybe if this site blows up and has thousands of users this might be necessary but I think there are plenty of forum options right now.

Keontez
05-30-2010, 11:24 AM
I get what you're saying, Rudy. Especially since they added the Last Gen stuff with CG stuff. But it makes it sooooo much easier to navigate. Especially when you have people who come in and create a new thread and just label it "Question?"

I know a lot of us would just rather get to the Chalk talk than have to surf through the BS.

cdj
05-30-2010, 07:16 PM
If there's enough people posting sliders, we can create a subforum for it. Like Rudy said though, we want to keep subforums/forums at a minimum. However, a benefit of the site layout here is that subforums do not show up on the main page so that won't seem congested should we add subforums.

Keep the feedback coming. We appreciate it.

JeffHCross
06-12-2010, 08:29 PM
would be nice to have a chat feature on the site... be great to say something that could be important, but not forum worthy, or feel like waiting on PM...

"E"Have to share this ... this is what happens when Chat is implemented on certain sites. Utopia has put up a chat room while they're down for some forum maintenance ...

(21:19:21) (colb): :]
(21:19:24) (Gogey): wat
(21:19:25) (zackmills): I'm straight
(21:19:27) System: (Gogey) rolls 1d44 and gets 29.
(21:19:36) (bcthomas): WTF is that?
(21:19:38) (bcthomas): I don't get it.
(21:19:40) System: (329515) has been logged out (Timeout).
(21:19:42) (the_red_c): rolls 1d6 and gets 66666666
(21:19:43) (Gogey): 44 sided dice
(21:19:45) System: (JeffHCross) logs into the Chat.
(21:19:45) (bcthomas) Fuck off
(21:19:49) System: (joshuahuskers) logs into the Chat.
(21:19:54) (joshuahuskers): wat is this?
(21:19:54) (zackmills): watch the language
(21:19:56) System: (Gogey) rolls 1d6 and gets 4.
(21:19:59) System: (Bomber_wrestle) logs into the Chat.
(21:20:05) System: (the_red_c) rolls 1d6 and gets 2.
(21:20:07) (colb): wat
(21:20:07) (zackmills):
(21:20:09) (bcthomas): I was using the "describe action"
(21:20:16) (joshuahuskers): was just reading the world cup thread now I'm here
(21:20:16) System: (981909) logs into the Chat.
(21:20:18) (zackmills):
(21:20:20) (bcthomas): Apparently it doesn't describe anything that well.
(21:20:21) (Gogey) no
(21:20:25) (colb): whut
(21:20:25) (joshuahuskers): <--- travis
(21:20:25) (Bomber_wrestle): So what is being done to the forums?
(21:20:28) (JeffHCross): I can only imagine how crazy this is just about to get.
(21:20:35) (colb): LOL
(21:20:35) System: (Don) logs into the Chat.
(21:20:35) (Gogey) has removed the colon to be a super roleplayer
(21:20:40) (colb): yeah
(21:20:41) System: (981909) is now known as (John_Locke).
(21:20:41) System: (sooners2003) logs into the Chat.
(21:20:46) (joshuahuskers): yeah, this is going to be one huge cluster fuck
(21:20:50) (Gogey) super totally fabulous roleplayer
(21:20:52) TrickyD: Just to put it on the record -- we won't be keeping this option available
(21:20:55) (sooners2003): wat? is this?
(21:20:58) System: (MGE) logs into the Chat.
(21:21:00) System: (marklar) logs into the Chat.
(21:21:01) (bcthomas): The servers crashed when Tim Howard sprayed is Freedom Bukkake all over the British Servers.
(21:21:02) (JeffHCross): Thank you Tricky, lol.
(21:21:02) System: (665305) logs into the Chat.
(21:21:04) System: (118363) logs into the Chat.
(21:21:11) (joshuahuskers): somehow have a feeeling this is going to be an epic night.
(21:21:12) (Gogey): but where will we be rolling dice :[
(21:21:13) System: (118363) is now known as (nightdweller24).
(21:21:16) (Gogey): thank you tricky
(21:21:17) (colb): so how bad did the US get its ass whooped?
(21:21:23) (Bomber_wrestle): This is going to be insaine
(21:21:23) (jbob2011): 1-1 draw
(21:21:26) (joshuahuskers): 1-1 tie bitches
(21:21:29) (colb): oh wow
(21:21:30) (zackmills): no moar soccer
(21:21:33) (bcthomas): USA USA USA USA USA
(21:21:38) (joshuahuskers): USA USA USA
(21:21:42) (joshuahuskers): ENGLAND SUCKS!
(21:21:47) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:47) (zackmills):
(21:21:48) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:49) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:50) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:51) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:52) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:52) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:53) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:54) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:55) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:56) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:57) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:57) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:58) (jbob2011): USA
(21:21:59) (jbob2011): USa
(21:21:59) (sooners2003): 1-all draw. USA played well.
(21:22:00) (the_red_c): haha chi bob was in here. he needs to come back lol
(21:22:00) (jbob2011): USA
(21:22:04) (colb): USA
(21:22:04) (Bomber_wrestle): Oh my hell
(21:22:09) (joshuahuskers): lmao
(21:22:12) (sooners2003): This is where I would be posting Revolution pictures
(21:22:17) (JeffHCross): Posted this right before the forums went offline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H​tyYt7oRMhs
(21:22:19) (jbob2011): USA
(21:22:20) (jbob2011): USA
(21:22:21) (jbob2011): USA
(21:22:24) (jbob2011): USA
(21:22:25) (jbob2011): USA
(21:22:26) TrickyD: I'll be upgrading to verstion 3.8.5 of vbulletin - and it that goes ok - attempt a more massive upgrade.
(21:22:26) (jbob2011): USA
(21:22:28) (jbob2011): USA
(21:22:30) (jbob2011): yeah yeah yeah

JBHuskers
06-13-2010, 03:23 AM
This almost looks like the direction thread of a certain site.

JeffHCross
06-13-2010, 12:49 PM
It was commented at one point that it was essentially The Anything Thread 2.0.

I OU a Beatn
06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
It was commented at one point that it was essentially The Anything Thread 2.0.

The site as a whole or just the chat? :D

JBHuskers
06-16-2010, 12:43 PM
The site as a whole or just the chat? :D

:D :D

JeffHCross
06-16-2010, 06:31 PM
The site as a whole or just the chat? :DYes.

:D