PDA

View Full Version : Can you watch your team lose?

souljahbill
01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
If your team is on tv and they're losing and the way the game is going, you know your team isn't coming back, do you continue watching, hoping for a comeback or do you change the channel because you can't stomach what you're seeing?

souljahbill
01-09-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm definitely a channel changer. I can't stand watching :Southern_Miss: lose and if its not going well, I do something else and just get the score alerts on my phone. This year, the only games I watched the majority of were the UCF game and the Louisville game. I hardly watched any of this season's games.

gschwendt
01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Thankfully for :Arkansas_State: it's been much better the past couple of years so I haven't had to deal with it but during the mid-2000s, there were lots of chances to change the channel. If I'm watching by myself, I'll continue to suffer in my own misery but if someone else is with me, more likely than not they'll ask "why are you still watching this" and I'll let them change the channel. Same applies for being at the game... I'll stay to the end almost every time.

If I'm watching anyone else though, I'll change the channel in a heartbeat. I'm a Jets fan so the past couple of years it's been very easy to change the channel.

psuexv
01-09-2013, 11:31 AM
I stick it out, not so much hoping for a comeback but more to see how they respond.

texacotea
01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
yea as much as I want to change it I dont. Something about me makes me suffer through it.

steelerfan
01-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I watch, with football. Particularly the Steelers. I haven't missed a snap of a Steelers game since 1994 and I won't start now.

With the Irish, I'll usually sit through it but not always.

In other sports, I'm less likely to sit through an ass-whipping because the games, particularly in the regular season, have less meaning. For example if the Penguins are down 5-0, I'm done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

CLW
01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
I have watched EVERY second of EVERY :Duke: basketball game since probably the mid-1990s. Win or lose I'm there from the beginning to the end.

souljahbill
01-09-2013, 02:18 PM
I have watched EVERY second of EVERY :Duke: basketball game since probably the mid-1990s. Win or lose I'm there from the beginning to the end.

Ha! Duke basketball! Must be soooooo hard watching them!

morsdraconis
01-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Fuck that shit. If WVU or the Redskins decide that they didn't want to give it their all that day, I'm sure as hell not going to waste my time watching them play. I have MUCH better things to do with my time than waste it like that.

NatureBoy
01-09-2013, 03:40 PM
:D As a life long South Carolina fan, I have witnessed more losses than I care to remember and that's just in football. Gamecock basketball is totally unwatchable. In 1999, Lou Holtz's first year as head coach, I watched every game of the 0-11 season.

CLW
01-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Ha! Duke basketball! Must be soooooo hard watching them!

LOL you watch the court getting stormed EVERY road loss for the last 15+ years it gets ANNOYING quick (plus its a pet peeve of mine to begin with)

SmoothPancakes
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
LOL you watch the court getting stormed EVERY road loss for the last 15+ years it gets ANNOYING quick (plus its a pet peeve of mine to begin with)

First world college basketball problems. :eyeroll:

When Navy's three best records since 2001 are 19-11, 16-14 and 14-16, four times they have only won single digit games in an entire season, and last year went 3-26, ending the season with a 22 game losing streak, watching the fans of other teams storm the court every road loss would be a relaxing sight to see.

JBHuskers
01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah. I don't get that bothered. Maybe was more bothered when I was in my 20s.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JeffHCross
01-09-2013, 06:10 PM
If your team is on tv and they're losing and the way the game is going, you know your team isn't coming back, do you continue watching, hoping for a comeback or do you change the channel because you can't stomach what you're seeing?If the game is truly out of reach and there's no chance, I'll readily switch to another game, and just keep my eye on the OSU game until it ends. But I'm a channel changer anyway ... I rarely stay on one game for longer than a drive or two (basically switching on commercial breaks), let alone for quarters on end. Ohio State is basically the only team I will watch without flipping at all ... and even that's not an absolute.

But I'll stick it out until it's "over".

SmoothPancakes
01-09-2013, 06:15 PM
As for me, I can and do take Navy football and Denver Broncos losses rather hard. I don't really get extremely worked up or anything, but a loss will easily leave me pissed off and in a damn foul mood for at least the rest of the day, if not the rest of the weekend and not wanting to have a single fucking moment of contact with another human. Not every loss is rough, if Navy was expected to lose. The losses to teams that are worse than Navy and that they should have steamrolled, that definitely will ruin my entire goddamn weekend.

NHL, NBA, MLB, eh, I hate to see the Rockies, Nuggets or Avalanche lose, but you get numb to it after a while with them, especially with the very long seasons.

As for watching the games, I will watch every single second. It's already hard as shit for Denver to make it onto TV here in NW Ohio, so I watch every game I can. And Navy I only got to see maybe two or three games a year until I finally was able to get access to CBS Sports Network, so I still watch every second of every game when they're on.

baseballplyrmvp
01-09-2013, 07:31 PM
i stick through everything.....but that doesnt mean that i dont throw remotes and 360 controllers afterwards. :D

gigemaggs99
01-09-2013, 08:20 PM
When I was at school we never lost a home game so it was nice. Then once we got rid of RC Slocum it went down hill. Actually we have 2 traditions, when we win they do one thing at home games and when we lose they do a different ending. I was there for the first loss in 2001 with my wife when we lost and no one knew what song to sing. I knew b/c I'd been brainwashed at HOWDY CAMP but had never sung that song anywhere else.

Then we lost a lot, now we are coming back.

As to your question. I arrive early and I stay to the final whistle. I warn the other people I'm with, if they want to leave early that's fine with me, I'll take the bus or walk home, I stay till the end no matter what.

If it's on T.V. I record it at the same time so I can fast forward through the commercials, pause for more beer, etc....

This only applies to Aggie Football. All other sports I'll change the channel if it gets out of hand.

The longer this has been going on the worse I think it can be for your health...I get all worked up excited pre-game then if we are losing or it's close I stress it like a freakshow...then if we come back and pull out a win I'm worn out for hours. If we lose my wife (class of '01) and I are mad for sometimes a day, it's weird it's like we're all pissy, then it starts again the next week.

Gig 'Em Aggies

Gus '99

plotty
01-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Yeah. I don't get that bothered. Maybe was more bothered when I was in my 20s.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Likewise, especially since :Nebraska:plays such a stupid ass football (well, the schemes aren't entirely stupid...the players play the game w/no brain IMO thus exposes the flaws in the system) game at times this past season it was unstomachable. Again probably a result of being spoiled by the mid-1990's success :Nebraska: had.