PDA

View Full Version : Custom BCS Playoff Formula SCSeagles20

scseagles20
12-18-2012, 08:33 PM
I know that the announcement of the 4-team playoff has been old news, but I've always been interested in brackets and playoffs in various sets of sports. So here I have a theory on how a playoff system could work in the near future. I am using records from this year, and teams from this year. I am also using the BCS top 25 poll and adding in my own sense of greed into some of the Wild Card team selections. So we begin.

Okay. So first off the six BCS Conferences are most likely going to be The Big East, ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC in a few years. So with that, the bracket begins. Now the teams chosen for each conference are based on overall records and not conference records.

So with that being said, heres my theory.
Each BCS conference should be repersented by two teams from that conference. If lets say 3 teams have the same overall record in the conference, then it will be determined by Conference Record, then Who beat who, and then finally BCS top 25 if it comes down to it.
So with this year's results these are the teams that would most likely be chosen for each conference.

ACC
- Florida State (11-2)
- Clemson (10-2)

Big East
- Louisville (10-2)
- Rutgers (9-3)

Big Ten *The sanctions to Ohio State and Penn State rule them inelgiable for this bracket
- Nebraska (10-3)
- Michigan (8-4)

Big 12
- Kansas State (11-1)
- Oklahoma (10-2)

Pac-12
- Stanford (11-2)
- Oregon (11-1)

SEC
- Alabama (12-1)
- Florida (11-1)

That's 12 teams right there, when half of those games are done it will be 6, and then after that 3 games. I don't believe in rewarding any of the teams with a bye week and an automatic bid in the championship game. So with that I bring up the idea of a WILD CARD CONFERENCE which is basically, in which of the non BCS conferences (excluding Independents) Is chosen by a comitte of retired commissioners and National Title winning Coaches. Just like the two teams chosen from the BCS conferences, The Wild Card Conference will have two teams chosen.
In this bracket I have chosen The Mountain West Conference because I seem them of having more Playoff contending teams than the MAC and WAC and the other conferences.

WILD CARD CONFERENCE
Mountain West
- Fresno State (9-3)
- Boise State (10-2)

So with that we have 14 teams. Half of 14 is 7. Half of 7 is uh-oh. Not going to work. So with that I bring you another wild card aspect, WILD CARD AT LARGE BIDS This is where four teams who are sporting 8 wins or more and are in the BCS Top 25 are selected by the same comitte of retired commissioners and National Title winning coaches. But this time they will also be joined by the highest ranking College Football radio hosts, writers, and broadcasters; And of course the fans will be able to VOTE for the four Wild Card Teams.
After doing some thinking I finally made a decision on the four teams. Notre Dame obviously deserves a spot. So they're a lock. But then I asked my myself what teams I would vote for, and with that I came up with these.

WILD CARD TEAMS
- Notre Dame (12-0)
- Texas A&M (10-2)
- UCLA (8-4)
- Georgia (11-2)

Yes I live in Alabama and love the SEC but this is not SEC bias whatsoever. People love Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M would be a fan favorite, I chose Georgia because I think they deserved a spot after a near win vs Bama. As for UCLA I think they're a young team that needs to have their talent showcased after nearly beating Stanford.

So this where the brackets actually start to form. The results of all these games were chosen by me after comparing the teams. They are not promoted to actually occur.

The team with the best record will host the game, if the record is equal, it will be determined by which team has the highest BCS ranking. Games will be hosted until the BCS Championship.

With that the bracket starts. The first round will be called
Wild Card Round

UCLA at Notre Dame
Texas A&M at Georgia

The winner of these games then guarantee themselves a spot in the Playoffs. I chose Notre Dame and Texas A&M both to advance.
That's where the playoffs start for the BCS conferences and The Wild Card Conference. The two teams chosen for they're conference will play in order to advance. This excludes the Wild Card Teams that advanced, they instead with play the other advancing wild card team.

Round One
*WILD CARD GAME*

Fresno State at Boise State
Michigan at Nebraska
Oklahoma at Kansas State
Clemson at Florida State
Rutgers at Louisville
Stanford at Oregon
Florida at Alabama
*Texas A&M at Notre Dame*

I chose Boise State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida State, Louisville, Oregon, Alabama, and Texas A&M all to advance to the second round. Now this was tough decision on how to move on from here and how to pit which team against which. Remember that Comitte from earlier? They're back. They'll vote on the BCS conference power rankings, excluding The Wild Card Conference and The Wild Card Teams. I voted solely on observation.
The first guarenteed match up of the playoff system will be that the The Wild Card Conference winner will ALWAYS play The Wild Card Team winner, since they both are considered the weakest of the groups. My power rankings are

1. SEC
2. Pac-12
3. Big Ten
4. Big 12
5. ACC
6. Big East
These conferences will be revoted every year by the comitte. So with that the bracket continues.

Quarterfinals

Boise State at Texas A&M (both these teams have a 10-2 record, but A&M has the higher ranking)
Michigan at Oklahoma
Rutgers at Florida State
Oregon at Alabama

I chose Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Florida State, and Alabama to advance. Now with this theres only 4 teams left. So to determine the final matchups, you go back to the power rankings and the ACC is listed at #5 so they will play Texas A&M since, they're in the Wild Card Team conference and are automatically weak. That then pits Alabama up against Oklahoma.

Semifinals

Texas A&M at Florida State (Florida State played and won more games so they were rewarded the home field)
Oklahoma at Alabama

I choose Texas A&m and Alabama to advance. Yay.

That's basically it. There you have it a national championship game. This is my theory on how the playoff system could be formulated in a couple of years. Let me know your thoughts and offer any constructive criticism needed. There will be a bracket at the bottom of the page if you need a visual.

scseagles20
12-18-2012, 08:40 PM
My bracket isin't appearing. I'll attempt to put it on later. When I have the time.