PDA

View Full Version : National Signing Day, 2013

JeffHCross
12-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Yes, it's way too early for a thread like this.

But I couldn't pass up the chance to post this (http://blogs.courier-journal.com/recruiting/2012/12/16/juco-te-borden-son-of-pro-wrestler-has-uk-no-1-on-list/).

Texas junior-college tight end Steven Borden, who was an all-conference player this season for Kilgore College, just completed an official visit to the University of Kentucky and said the Wildcats are No. 1 on his list as he nears a decision in the coming days.

Borden, who is the the son of Steve Borden, better known as the pro wrestling legend Sting, has also taken an official visit to Texas Tech, where he had been recruited by new UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown.

baseballplyrmvp
01-27-2013, 11:54 PM
10 days left!

morsdraconis
01-28-2013, 04:43 AM
(shrugs)

I don't see how people can get up for this stuff. Unless you're Alabama or USC, 50% of the time, the big named guys come in and do squat.

JeffHCross
02-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Eleven Warriors: Choose Your Own Recruiting Adventure (Part 1) (http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/02/19291/choose-your-own-recruiting-adventure-part-1-the-visit)

JBHuskers
02-07-2013, 01:40 AM
I'm not huge into National Signing Day, but this story (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/8921988/alex-collins-mother-sign-letter-intent-arkansas-razorbacks) made me :fp:

steelerfan
02-07-2013, 01:45 AM
ESPN NCAAF - ESPN ranks Alabama No. 1 recruiting class; Florida No. 2, Ohio St. No. 3, Notre Dame No. 4, Miss. No. 5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

SmoothPancakes
02-07-2013, 02:15 AM
I'm not huge into National Signing Day, but this story (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/8921988/alex-collins-mother-sign-letter-intent-arkansas-razorbacks) made me :fp:

Odds of mom's motives being selfish: 97%
Odds of mom's motives being in the best interest of her child: 0%

Margin of error +-3%

JBHuskers
02-07-2013, 03:21 AM

Margin of error +-3%

Odds he gets called a mama's boy on the football field, 110%

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

morsdraconis
02-07-2013, 04:51 AM
:smh:

ryby6969
02-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Margin of error +-3%

Yeah, it is a pretty messed up situation. Kid has had a rough life, and apparently live with his head coach. His whole family thought he was going to pick Miami when he went to Atl for the announcement so he would be close to home, so when he picked Arky they flipped out. As a Cane fan, if the kid does not want to play here, then let him leave. There has been some talk though that his coach is friends with Coach Bielema(he was interested in Wisky when he was there) so we will see. Either way, really screwed up situation.

CLW
02-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Seems odd a 21 year old still needs permission from his guardian. If the kid is 18 the law considers him an adult and fully capable of entering into binding legal contracts. When the story 1st broke I thought maybe the kid was 17 or something but apparently not.

psusnoop
02-07-2013, 07:37 AM
ESPN NCAAF - ESPN ranks Alabama No. 1 recruiting class; Florida No. 2, Ohio St. No. 3, Notre Dame No. 4, Miss. No. 5

Can only imagine the smack talk that Darius would be giving right now given the class that Ole Miss landed.

NatureBoy
02-07-2013, 08:14 AM
There has to be something very fishy going on at Ole Miss. They land the No. 1 overall recruit Robert Nkemdiche, No. 1 rated offensive tackle, No. 1 rated wide receiver and a host of other big time recruits. They finished with the 5th rated recruiting class in the Nation. Now if this was Bama, USC, ND, LSU or Florida, I could understand but Ole Miss? Nah, I don't buy it. They were 2-10 in 2011. Last season they were 7-6. Ole Miss must have promised all of those prized recruits lots of cash and a whole lot of ass to get them to come to Oxford.

CLW
02-07-2013, 08:20 AM
There has to be something very fishy going on at Ole Miss. They land the No. 1 overall recruit Robert Nkemdiche, No. 1 rated offensive tackle, No. 1 rated wide receiver and a host of other big time recruits. They finished with the 5th rated recruiting class in the Nation. Now if this was Bama, USC, ND, LSU or Florida, I could understand but Ole Miss? Nah, I don't buy it. They were 2-10 in 2011. Last season they were 7-6. Ole Miss must have promised all of those prized recruits lots of cash and a whole lot of ass to get them to come to Oxford.

Meh the #1 recruit's older brother plays for :Ole_Miss: It is my understanding the had allot of other "ins" with the big name recruits as well.

NatureBoy
02-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Meh the #1 recruit's older brother plays for :Ole_Miss: It is my understanding the had allot of other "ins" with the big name recruits as well. Yeah, I already knew that. I'm just not buying that all of a sudden, Ole Miss is THE place to be if you are a highly prized high school football recruit. I guess we will find out in a few years if and when the NCAA is knocking at their door.

morsdraconis
02-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Pfft, it's just normal old SEC recruiting. Nothing to see here... :whistle:

ryby6969
02-07-2013, 09:42 AM
It also did not help the suspicions of everyone when the #1 WR tweeted a picture of him with a whole bunch on $100 bills sitting on a table during his official visit! :D

JBHuskers
02-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Can only imagine the smack talk that Darius would be giving right now given the class that Ole Miss landed.

Now we see why Tommy was sad to see Mr. Freeze go.

gschwendt
02-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Now we see why Tommy was sad to see Mr. Freeze go.
Yeah, Freeze definitely has "it" when it comes to charisma, etc. As far as coaching goes, he's a mix between Malzahn and Les Miles.

baseballplyrmvp
02-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Yeah, Freeze definitely has "it" when it comes to charisma, etc. As far as coaching goes, he's a mix between Malzahn and Les Miles.

chris kiffin is the big reason for their recruiting success.

steelerfan
02-07-2013, 12:34 PM

I thought the same thing last night. :nod:

JBHuskers
02-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Alex Collins got his letter of intent co-signed. By daddy...

gschwendt
02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Alex Collins got his letter of intent co-signed. By daddy...
His mother hired an attorney to "represent the family's interests"...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/alex-collins-announces-going-arkansas-while-mother-hires-184640271--ncaaf.html

CLW
02-07-2013, 02:06 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/alex-collins-announces-going-arkansas-while-mother-hires-184640271--ncaaf.html

of course an attorney is willing to "represent 'the family's' interests" just give me that cash money. :smh:

JBHuskers
02-07-2013, 02:10 PM

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/GIFS/stunnedsquirrel_zps1a4ab784.gif

SmoothPancakes
02-07-2013, 05:05 PM
What is this bitch's problem? He WANTS to go to Arkansas. He's happy to go to Arkansas. For fuck's sake! Let him go. Goddamn.

CLW
02-07-2013, 05:09 PM
What is this bitch's problem? He WANTS to go to Arkansas. He's happy to go to Arkansas. For fuck's sake! Let him go. Goddamn.

If mama ain't happy no body is happy! :nod:

SmoothPancakes
02-07-2013, 05:19 PM
If mama ain't happy no body is happy! :nod:

There's money under the table from somewhere. No one is gonna push this goddamn hard against the wishes of their own son or that of the rest of the family just to keep the damn kid going to a certain school.

To go and hire a goddamn lawyer over this shit (and from Johnnie Cochran's law firm, yeah, they certainly aren't doing this shit pro bono, so that's gonna rack up some major bills) just because you don't want your son to go to Arkansas but instead go to Miami? Yeah, she's getting money. Whether it be from a booster, from some anonymous person affiliated with Miami, or whoever, there's fucking money changing hands here.

JeffHCross
02-07-2013, 09:32 PM
a whole lot of ass to get them to come to Oxford.Look at prospects around The Grove. You don't need to promise anything for males to be interested in that!

There's a lot of smoke, but I don't think there's fire ... yet. Several of the players are pretty easily explainable.

There's money under the table from somewhere. No one is gonna push this goddamn hard against the wishes of their own son or that of the rest of the family just to keep the damn kid going to a certain school.Uhm, yeah they will. This isn't the first time that a prospect had to go to a different parent to get their LoI signed.

SmoothPancakes
02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Look at prospects around The Grove. You don't need to promise anything for males to be interested in that!

There's a lot of smoke, but I don't think there's fire ... yet. Several of the players are pretty easily explainable.

Uhm, yeah they will. This isn't the first time that a prospect had to go to a different parent to get their LoI signed.

Alright, there have been times they had to get to a different parent to get their LoI signed, I'll concede that. But how many times did one of those parents get an attorney (from Johnnie Cochran's law firm no less) because the kid wanted to go to another school than where they wanted the kid to go? When was the last time that a recruit signing a LoI blew this ridiculously out of hand and reached these absurd levels just because he wants to go to Arkansas while mommy refuses to agree to anywhere other than Miami?

baseballplyrmvp
02-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Alright, there have been times they had to get to a different parent to get their LoI signed, I'll concede that. But how many times did one of those parents get an attorney (from Johnnie Cochran's law firm no less) because the kid wanted to go to another school than where they wanted the kid to go? When was the last time that a recruit signing a LoI blew this ridiculously out of hand and reached these absurd levels just because he wants to go to Arkansas while mommy refuses to agree to anywhere other than Miami?

moms are always the hardest ones to convince in recruiting. a'shawn robinson and matt thomas wanted to be trojans in the worst way, but their moms got in the way. robinson's mom didnt want him leaving the state, but a'shawn wasnt feeling texas was where he wanted to be....so they settled on bama. thomas's mom wouldnt let him go to a school she hadnt been to. iirc, there was a recruit last year during the under armour game who committed to lsu, i think, and his mom was pissed as hell. she wanted bama, i think.

but as far as getting a lawyer about this? never heard of it.

NatureBoy
02-10-2013, 08:10 AM

:D In the South, it's a huge day for us. It's like the equivalent of Christmas Day. You finally get to see all of the presents you got but can't open them until September.

JeffHCross
02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
:D In the South, it's a huge day for us. It's like the equivalent of Christmas Day. You finally get to see all of the presents you got but can't open them until September.That has less to do with "South", and more to do with "everywhere with a huge CFB fan base". It's just as much Christmas for Ohio State fans as for Bammers.

Though particularly in the SEC where they don't really have college basketball to enjoy ;)